PDA

View Full Version : Sickels: Prospect Retrospective, Brad Radke

Seth Stohs
09-10-2012, 12:11 PM
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/9/10/3305489/prospect-retrospective-career-profile-brad-radke-minnesota-twins

sorney
09-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Nice!! It's easy to forget just how valuable Radke was.

gunnarthor
09-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Yeah, that was a nice little read and a reminder that we need better pitchers, not necessarily strike out guys.

Willihammer
09-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah, that was a nice little read and a reminder that we need better pitchers, not necessarily strike out guys.

This is the outsized legacy Radke has had on the organization.

Radke's mechanics were very sound. The picture in OP's article shows why his elbow never broke down, and his command was impeccable. It is all mechanics.

If you put 3 inches and 50 pounds onto Radke's frame, you have Justin Verlander. The delivery is almost identical.

jimbo92107
09-10-2012, 02:00 PM

This is the outsized legacy Radke has had on the organization.

Radke's mechanics were very sound. The picture in OP's article shows why his elbow never broke down, and his command was impeccable. It is all mechanics.

If you put 3 inches and 50 pounds onto Radke's frame, you have Justin Verlander. The delivery is almost identical.

Naw, Radke's delivery wasn't that much like Verlander's. Pitching mechanics is difficult to analyze because it's tough to see the exact combination of movements that result in maximum efficiency and minimum arm damage. Radke did have a nice, smooth pitching motion, but he didn't have quite the same kind of leg drive or snap that Verlander has, which actually looks more like a slightly toned down Tim Lincecum.

As far as longevity is concerned, my favorite pitcher is Walter Johnson. His high sidearm whip motion put almost no stress on his rotator cuff, elbow or back, while his long control moment, where his palm travelled towards the target, gave him pinpoint control. I honestly don't know why coaches keep teaching overhand or 3/4s overhand as standard form. Too many injuries. Kids should relax and throw like skimming stones. It's aa lot easier on the arm.

Bark's Lounge
09-10-2012, 03:17 PM
As far as longevity is concerned, my favorite pitcher is Walter Johnson. His high sidearm whip motion put almost no stress on his rotator cuff, elbow or back, while his long control moment, where his palm travelled towards the target, gave him pinpoint control. I honestly don't know why coaches keep teaching overhand or 3/4s overhand as standard form. Too many injuries. Kids should relax and throw like skimming stones. It's aa lot easier on the arm.

Are you the last surviving World War I Veteran?:)

Boom Boom
09-10-2012, 03:36 PM

Baseball had a lot of tough guys before they started pampering pitchers with that weak Tommy John surgery.

If Big Train had a torn elbow ligament he would have gnawed his own arm off and learned to pitch with the other hand.

diehardtwinsfan
09-10-2012, 06:32 PM
I'll always remember what Radke did in 2006 for the Twins... The guy had to brush his teeth with his non-throwing hand and coudln't pick up his kids, yet he gutted it out and pitched impressively down the stretch...

Thanks for the memories Brad.

drjim
09-10-2012, 09:02 PM
He also has the legacy of having every pitcher with good control and minimal fastball get compared favorably to him.