PDA

View Full Version : Perez cites Twins in rant?

one_eyed_jack
09-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Chris Perez went off on Cleveland's ownership and management.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8343937/cleveland-indians-closer-chris-perez-critical-team-management

And part of his tirade was this:

"Josh Willingham (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/6024/josh-willingham) would look great in this lineup. They didn't want to [pay] for that last year. ... That's the decision they make, and this is the bed we're laying in."

I know Perez is a bit of a loose cannon, but it's bizarre to see a player cite the Twins as an example of a team willing to spend money to get good players. A decade ago when the Twins were known for being able to compete on a shoestring payroll, I wouldn't have believed I'd be reading quotes like this about them one day.

J-Dog Dungan
09-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Yeah, well, lately the Indians have been acting like what everyone in the movie "Major League" thought those Indians would play like. So I guess it isn't surprising to see that one of the few high-level players on the team is frustrated that the team that owns him isn't willing to go out and spend even a little money on a fairly good contract for a player like Willingham.

one_eyed_jack
09-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Yeah that team is a mess. Gotta think Acta will be first up on the managerial chopping block at the end of the year.

Highabove
09-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Unfortunately, we could be heading down the same path. Cleveland was once a winning Team with a new Ball Park. As revenue drops, the Payroll will follow. Whats keeping us from being the next San Diego Padres or the Colorado Rockies, Our pitching rich Farm System? They have beautiful Ballparks too.

greengoblinrulz
09-06-2012, 10:38 PM
As bad as Cleveland is and as bad as their front office is......they are still better than the Twins.
Can you imagine how he would ruffle feathers here!!!! Sign him!!!

COtwin
09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Gardy would rather bring Capps back then have that no good rabble rouser. There are intangibles they look at when deciding who to sign. Who cares if he is a slam the door closer. Can he do magic tricks and make Rick feel like he's doing a good job.

clutterheart
09-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Unfortunately, we could be heading down the same path. Cleveland was once a winning Team with a new Ball Park.

No.
The Twins are trailblazers here. They are cutting payroll while the ballpark is still brand new.

Most teams use new ballparks to increase payroll while the Twins cut payroll in the attempt to bring revenue to a manageable level.
They were spending too much money on green eye-shades, carbon paper and new technology like abacuses.

The Pohalds are trying to copyright this strategy with the tagline:
Think Different

Nick Nelson
09-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Perez has a point. I recall that the Indians were one of the last teams bidding against the Twins for Willingham. Eventually they decided they didn't like his defense. Now they're starting Shelley Duncan and Esquiel Carrera in LF. If I was an Indians player or fan, I'd be pissed too.

70charger
09-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Unfortunately, we could be heading down the same path. Cleveland was once a winning Team with a new Ball Park.

No.
The Twins are trailblazers here. They are cutting payroll while the ballpark is still brand new.

Most teams use new ballparks to increase payroll while the Twins cut payroll in the attempt to bring revenue to a manageable level.
They were spending too much money on green eye-shades, carbon paper and new technology like abacuses.

Think Different

Last 2 seasons in Metrodome:

2008: $56 million
2009: $65 million

First 2 seasons in Target Field:

2010: $95 million
2011: $112 million

Your post was bad, and you should feel bad.

nokomismod
09-07-2012, 03:56 PM
I feel for Cleveland's fans. I really think up to this point our management and ownership has been much better than Cleveland's. I am concerned though that we could enter that cycle if the Twins don't "overspend" on starting pitching this winter to hasten the rebuild. Fans are going to get even more restless next year.

Mr. Ed
09-07-2012, 04:15 PM
As bad as Cleveland is and as bad as their front office is......they are still better than the Twins.
Can you imagine how he would ruffle feathers here!!!! Sign him!!!

I believe he went to the U with Valencia. NEVER will sign here. Only nice guys with no attitudes need apply.

Mr. Ed
09-07-2012, 04:16 PM
By the way,next time the broadcast team finds an opp to make fun of some other team, they'd better pick on the teams worse than MN.

Talk about a joke. Slam/rip teams better than the one you cover.

jokin
09-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Perez has a point. I recall that the Indians were one of the last teams bidding against the Twins for Willingham. Eventually they decided they didn't like his defense. Now they're starting Shelley Duncan and Esquiel Carrera in LF. If I was an Indians player or fan, I'd be pissed too.

No Shelley Duncan to pick on tonight, he was DFAd by Cleveland on August 29.

Highabove
09-07-2012, 05:43 PM

No.

Think Different

Let me add the Twins Revenue to your numbers.

2008: $56 million $ 158 million
2009: $65 million $ 162 million

2010: $95 million $213 million
2011: $112 million $ 213 million

The Twins have stated that they spend approximately 50% of revenue on payroll.
Except for 2011, they are not even close. According to the business plan the Pohlad's sell us, the Twins have been under paying their payroll, three out of the last four years.

jokin
09-07-2012, 05:56 PM

No.

Think Different

Living in the Past with your 70s Charger, 70charger, doesn't win a debating point. Here's what the club has done for you lately:

2012: <$100M
2013: </>$85M?? The club has left wiggle room and hints at a cut, look for a payroll to emerge somewhere in this area.

If this, in fact, turns out to be what happens, will you feel bad?

70charger
09-07-2012, 06:18 PM
If I turn out to have your ****ty attitude and poor argument skills, I'll feel bad. Facts are facts.

jokin
09-07-2012, 06:57 PM
If I turn out to have your ****ty attitude and poor argument skills, I'll feel bad. Facts are facts.

Really? "Na-na-na- I'm not listening"- and-"I know your are,but what am I" is your refutation? Pathetic.

Facts are facts, on this we agree, then why are you ignoring the facts from the previous 2 posts?

clutterheart
09-07-2012, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=clutterheart;52482][QUOTE=Highabove;52468

I thought by referencing carbon paper it would be obvious the post was not to be taken with 100% seriousness. Guess not.

nicksaviking
09-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Unfortunately, we could be heading down the same path. Cleveland was once a winning Team with a new Ball Park. As revenue drops, the Payroll will follow. Whats keeping us from being the next San Diego Padres or the Colorado Rockies, Our pitching rich Farm System? They have beautiful Ballparks too.

Cleveland's fall was pretty drastic, but they had a good run. Unlike the Twins, after Cleveland's stadium was built they were always near the top of the payroll pyramid. They were still a top five payroll 8 years later in 2001; Minnesota is already out of the top ten three years later. I suppose Perkins might say the same stuff in a year or two.

70charger
09-08-2012, 12:34 AM
[QUOTE=clutterheart;52482][QUOTE=Highabove;52468

I thought by referencing carbon paper it would be obvious the post was not to be taken with 100% seriousness. Guess not.

I thought by referencing Futurama ("Your 'x' is bad, and you should feel bad!"), it would be obvious the post was not to be taken with 100% seriousness. Oh well.

And "jokin," you're a joke.