PDA

View Full Version : Shipley: Ryan Discusses Slama

Seth Stohs
09-04-2012, 08:05 PM
http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_21467559/minnesota-twins-recall-eduardo-escobar-luis-perdomo

Pioneer Press's John Shipley asked GM Terry Ryan about why Anthony Slama was not promoted.

Leaving Slama off the roster was particularly perplexing to fans who have been paying attention to the reliever the past few seasons.
"I understand that," Ryan said. "That's because they see the numbers."

There is some more, but I don't want to copy the whole article. Go read it. It only takes a minute... Here is one more quote from the article:

"His statistical line is very, very impressive," Ryan said. "I know that, and I certainly took that into consideration. We know a lot more about Anthony Slama than we do Perdomo, to be quite frank. It's just like bringing up Escobar instead of (Brian) Dozier. We need to know something about some of these guys."

drjim
09-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I would think we know enough about Perdomo.

JB_Iowa
09-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I appreciate that Shipley asked the questions.But the problem, Mr. Ryan, is that Slama EARNED a look BEFORE he was injured. And then came back from his injury and kept on earning it.What a bunch of B.S.

Jesse Bacon
09-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Also, a) it isn't punishment to not promote everyone who didn't get injured if they suck. and b) couldn't you call up like 13 more people if you wanted to? and c) Will Slama get his shot in MN or is someone going to Rule V him?

righty8383
09-04-2012, 08:24 PM
It all goes back to what Ryan said about calling up players that "earned" it based on waht they did in AAA and AA. I wish Shipley would have asked him how Escobar "earned" it but Slama didn't. But reporters around here don't like pressing for more answers so...

Brock Beauchamp
09-04-2012, 08:24 PM
It's a good thing we all got to know so much about Jeff Gray.

snepp
09-04-2012, 08:28 PM
It's a good thing we all got to know so much about Jeff Gray.

His first 88 innings in the majors weren't putrid enough, they had to see him with their own eyes.....for an extended duration.

gunnarthor
09-04-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm shocked that the free Slama crowd didn't appreciate Ryan's reasoning.

Thrylos
09-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Ok. This is one of the things that Ryan said:

"How many people are you going to bring up? But I do understand that (Slama's) stat line is pretty impressive. He'll get his chance."

this sounds like a promise. If Slama is not at least invited in 2013 ST, Ryan lied. (of course if Ryan is still the GM) We shall see.

Seth Stohs
09-04-2012, 08:35 PM

shocking, isn't it?! :) I understand all of what he said, for sure. However, if the Twins are going with 6 starters most of the rest of the way, may be good to have another arm. Perdomo definitely deserves the promotion. He was very good in AA and AAA this year.

I understand all given reasons. I do. I just think that Slama should be with the Twins.

clutterheart
09-04-2012, 08:35 PM
I think I am in the majority when I say:

WTF

clutterheart
09-04-2012, 08:37 PM

When his reasoning is based on fallacies, I think its more shocking that anyone WOULD appreciate his reasoning

nicksaviking
09-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Ryan's mention of Slama getting his chance sounded like the GM was implying he was planning on adding Slama to the 40-man. I'm suspicious that he will, but that slick-tounged good ol' boy did make a couple of convincing points. With his injury history, including recently, it may benefit Slama to end his season now. Also, while he didn't come out and say it, his remark about how the fans only see the numbers may have been his passive way of saying what many have said before. His lack of movement and lack of velocity may not play well in the majors. If he came right out and said just that I'd respect the honesty more, but even so, there's still only one way to find out if his stuff translates to this level.

silverslugger
09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
The fact that Slama was out for a few months with a NON-PITCHING related injury is actually an argument for bringing him up and seing what he has. I'm at a loss for trying to understand how promoting Slama would be negative to the others. Promote them all and give them all innings. Finally, numbers simply don't lie. The numbers Twins pitchers have put up in the majors this year have been PUTRID. I guess I'm still perplexed.

USAFChief
09-04-2012, 09:03 PM
b) couldn't you call up like 13 more people if you wanted to? ?

One could almost infer there's a, um...financial implication to the skimpy number of callups, no?

But to believe that might be a factor, one would have to conclude the Twins are more interested in making good money than in making good baseball decisions.

SpiritofVodkaDave
09-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Who cares, he will get his shot in 2013, bringing up everyone to be a part of a 10+ man bullpen isn't exactly a solution to get him a bunch of innings, is 4-5 IP in September really going to make some huge difference?

Also yes, he is dominating AAA, but he is 28, and I'm sure the Twins know his stuff quite well, I know its beyond a SSS but in the majors he does have 7 walks in 7 innings, perhaps he just lacks big league stuff.

Reminds me of another guy who "dominated" AAA who fans freaked out about "not given a chance" his name is Kevin Slowey and is currently posting a lightning hot 5.14 ERA in AAA for the Indians.

Can Slama potentially be an asset in the majors? Sure, why not. But its more likely as a 6th/7th guy then a set up/closer type.

SpiritofVodkaDave
09-04-2012, 09:06 PM

One could almost infer there's a, um...financial implication to the skimpy number of callups, no?

But to believe that might be a factor, one would have to conclude the Twins are more interested in making good money than in making good baseball decisions.

Why on earth would it make sense to call up another 13 guys? You basically then set up your team to have 10 or so guys on the squad who won't see anything more than an inning or two on the mound, or 5-10 at bats. And yes, that would be a waste of money, not only in salary, but hotels, seats on a charter flight, room in the clubhouse etc etc

I imagine if the Twins were in the playoff hunt they would have called up a couple more guys, perhaps a guy like Hicks with the sole reason to be a defensive replacement/PR. However, there is zero reason to start the clocks of more guys then needed.

righty8383
09-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Ok. This is one of the things that Ryan said:

"How many people are you going to bring up? But I do understand that (Slama's) stat line is pretty impressive. He'll get his chance."

this sounds like a promise. If Slama is not at least invited in 2013 ST, Ryan lied. (of course if Ryan is still the GM) We shall see.

Ryan already lied once when he said September call ups would be people that EARNED it. No reason to believe him this time

JB_Iowa
09-04-2012, 09:09 PM

I had a similar thought. Just how cheap can Terry Ryan get?

jokin
09-04-2012, 09:10 PM
His lack of movement and lack of velocity may not play well in the majors. If he came right out and said just that I'd respect the honesty more, but even so, there's still only one way to find out if his stuff translates to this level.........

....and can anyone conceive of a better time to find out how it translates- than the last 27 games of the MLB season- especially considering there's an open spot available on the 40-man?

USAFChief
09-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Why on earth would it make sense to call up another 13 guys? You basically then set up your team to have 10 or so guys on the squad who won't see anything more than an inning or two on the mound, or 5-10 at bats. And yes, that would be a waste of money, not only in salary, but hotels, seats on a charter flight, room in the clubhouse etc etc

I imagine if the Twins were in the playoff hunt they would have called up a couple more guys, perhaps a guy like Hicks with the sole reason to be a defensive replacement/PR. However, there is zero reason to start the clocks of more guys then needed.

The point, Dave, is that there isn't some reason why bringing up Perdomo means you can't also bring up Slama--other than having to put him on the 40 man (which is at 39), and of course...you'd have to pay him.

BTW, you're not really going to bring up service time with Slama, are you? One post after telling us he's 28 with a top end of "6th/7th guy"?

Sheesh.

SpiritofVodkaDave
09-04-2012, 09:15 PM

The point, Dave, is that there isn't some reason why bringing up Perdomo means you can't also bring up Slama--other than having to put him on the 40 man (which is at 39), and of course...you'd have to pay him.

BTW, you're not really going to bring up service time with Slama, are you? One post after telling us he's 28 with a top end of "6th/7th guy"?

Sheesh.
The Service time issue was more along the lines of "They would bring up Hicks to PR/Defense" Of course it isn't an issue with a guy like Slama

I imagine with a guy like Perdomo they are figuring out if he will even be part of the organization heading into next year, same with Gray (SIGHHHHHHHH) that is why they are getting innings now, Slama will be around in 2013 and will get his shot(s)

jokin
09-04-2012, 09:15 PM

I think this accounts for the failure to make any waiver deals when there were plenty of pick-ups available at little cost- except the cost of absorbing the contract. This is yet more suggestive evidence that the decision was made internally sometime after the Marquis/Capps/Pavano/Baker fiascos became realities and followed by Liriano's dump-off trade, that absolutely no more money was to be added to the 2012 payroll.

Jim H
09-04-2012, 09:16 PM
It sort of seems that right now everyone wants to bash the Twins front office, particularly Ryan whether there is a good reason or not. I can certainly see the need to look at Perdomo and Escobar. Perdomo throws harder than Slama and seems to have more compelling stuff. The principle weakness of both is control. Since 40 man roster spots could be at a premium this winter, it probably makes sense to look at the guy you know less about. Perdomo is probably fighting for one of those spots.

Escobar is supposed to be a premium defender. I think it is probably important to be sure that is true at the major league level. Whether or not he is a starter likely depends on his bat, but you won't be able to determine that with a September callup. Especially with a 22 year old. I think calling up Dozier right now, especially if he won't play, is counter productive.

So yes, lets get Escobar and Perdomo some playing time, maybe they will be part of the future for the Twins. Maybe it can be determined that they can't be. More likely it will be somewhere in between. I suspect the Twins have watched both Dozier and Slama pretty closely the last few years. They should have a pretty good idea what their ceilings are, and what they need to do to reach them. Hopefully they can figure out the same things about Escobar and Perdomo.

jokin
09-04-2012, 09:19 PM

When his reasoning is based on fallacies, I think its more shocking that anyone WOULD appreciate his reasoning

Like night follows day, it seems the willing apologists (they know who they are) always appreciate the Twins FO faulty reasoning

SpiritofVodkaDave
09-04-2012, 09:22 PM

Like night follows day, it seems the willing apologists (they know who they are) always appreciate the Twins FO faulty reasoning

Or perhaps some of us actually look at every issue seperately and don't jump down the throat of the FO over every single move.
Ryan has had his faults this year no doubt, but to try to make him out to be some incompetent GM is ridiculous, his track record/success on his first go around speaks for itself.

Besides, its Anthony freaking Slama, not a guy like Parmelee.

USAFChief
09-04-2012, 09:24 PM
It sort of seems that right now everyone wants to bash the Twins front office, particularly Ryan whether there is a good reason or not. I can certainly see the need to look at Perdomo and Escobar. Perdomo throws harder than Slama and seems to have more compelling stuff. The principle weakness of both is control. Since 40 man roster spots could be at a premium this winter, it probably makes sense to look at the guy you know less about. Perdomo is probably fighting for one of those spots.

Escobar is supposed to be a premium defender. I think it is probably important to be sure that is true at the major league level. Whether or not he is a starter likely depends on his bat, but you won't be able to determine that with a September callup. Especially with a 22 year old. I think calling up Dozier right now, especially if he won't play, is counter productive.

So yes, lets get Escobar and Perdomo some playing time, maybe they will be part of the future for the Twins. Maybe it can be determined that they can't be. More likely it will be somewhere in between. I suspect the Twins have watched both Dozier and Slama pretty closely the last few years. They should have a pretty good idea what their ceilings are, and what they need to do to reach them. Hopefully they can figure out the same things about Escobar and Perdomo.

None of this has anything to do with also giving Slama a look.

TheLeviathan
09-04-2012, 09:42 PM
So Slama isn't up because he's "just" putting up a great statline? And here I thought performance on the field was important.....

This is just really flimsy reasoning. Pretty frustrating to hear that this is the best the Twins can do explaining this non-move. We've had an array of horse-crap arms filling our 11th-13th spots on this roster for most of the year. We can't take a look at this 28 year old in the last month? That just stinks of stubborn stupidity.

Thrylos
09-04-2012, 09:50 PM
As far as 40 man roster spots go:

there is one open
moving Capps to the 60 day DL will open another
moving Span to the 60 day DL will open another

So it is not like there is no flexibility left there

kab21
09-04-2012, 09:57 PM
It sort of seems that right now everyone wants to bash the Twins front office, particularly Ryan whether there is a good reason or not.

change that to always.

There's room in the bullpen and on the roster to get a look at both Slama and Perdomo. Just how many looks do we need to get at the Manship's of the system.

Big Daddy H
09-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Who cares, he will get his shot in 2013, bringing up everyone to be a part of a 10+ man bullpen isn't exactly a solution to get him a bunch of innings, is 4-5 IP in September really going to make some huge difference?

Also yes, he is dominating AAA, but he is 28, and I'm sure the Twins know his stuff quite well, I know its beyond a SSS but in the majors he does have 7 walks in 7 innings, perhaps he just lacks big league stuff.

Reminds me of another guy who "dominated" AAA who fans freaked out about "not given a chance" his name is Kevin Slowey and is currently posting a lightning hot 5.14 ERA in AAA for the Indians.

Can Slama potentially be an asset in the majors? Sure, why not. But its more likely as a 6th/7th guy then a set up/closer type.

" The difference is Slowey ERA in AAA is 5.14, Slama's is about 1.30. Plus Slama strikes out 13 per 9 innings name another Twin's pitcher that does that?"

drjim
09-04-2012, 10:14 PM

I think this accounts for the failure to make any waiver deals when there were plenty of pick-ups available at little cost- except the cost of absorbing the contract. This is yet more suggestive evidence that the decision was made internally sometime after the Marquis/Capps/Pavano/Baker fiascos became realities and followed by Liriano's dump-off trade, that absolutely no more money was to be added to the 2012 payroll.

Why would a team that is not contending want to take on additional salary at the waiver deadline?

I still think the bigger issue is playing time. I would call up Slama instead of Perdomo, but there really are only so many innings to go around. Makes little sense to call people up to sit on the bench for a month.

fatbeer
09-04-2012, 10:17 PM
The guy doesn't have what it takes at this level. People care way to much about stats, real scouts watch the games, he had his chance and proved all the scouts right.

jokin
09-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Why would a team that is not contending want to take on additional salary at the waiver deadline?

I still think the bigger issue is playing time. I would call up Slama instead of Perdomo, but there really are only so many innings to go around. Makes little sense to call people up to sit on the bench for a month.

In case you haven't noticed, the team is utterly bereft of proven MLB SP talent. It's hard to envision they can have any semblance of one in 2013 with only the offseason to get it done. There were guys available in July and especially August for practically only the contract that could eat 200 innings next year standing on their head.

jokin
09-04-2012, 10:22 PM

Or perhaps some of us actually look at every issue seperately and don't jump down the throat of the FO over every single move.
Ryan has had his faults this year no doubt, but to try to make him out to be some incompetent GM is ridiculous, his track record/success on his first go around speaks for itself.

Oh wait, that's right, he screwed that one up, too.

USAFChief
09-04-2012, 10:32 PM

On a team that spent large chunks of the year with an 8 man bullpen, and STILL managed to find reason to complain about the pen being "worn out" weekly--which team is now employing 6 starters--I think you can find some innings for a couple extra relievers. If nothing else, you save wear and tear on Burton, who they've been concerned about all year.

This, like every other reason Ryan or anyone else has brought up, makes little sense if given even the slightest thought.

Jim Crikket
09-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Ryan said Slama will get his chance. He didn't specifically indicate it would necessarily be with the Twins. Assuming he's exposed to the Rule 5 draft, I would assume someone might take a flyer on him to get a look at him in Spring Training. If he's still with the organization in February, it sounds like he'll get a MLB ST invite with the Twins.

I think he should have gotten a call up, but it's not an outrageous sin that he's not. It's just a bit confusing more than anything else. I can understand that the Twins wanted to look at some guys they've added to the organization during the course of the year, but one would think there would have been a few innings for Slama, too.

PseudoSABR
09-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Roster spots don't equate to innings or at bats. There's actually a limit to opportunity. I also don't buy the cheap-skate Twins meme. There's probably more to why Slama (and Dozier) isn't currently on the roster, but it's not a story the Twins are willing to tell.

glunn
09-04-2012, 10:49 PM
I am ready for a new, permanent GM.

James
09-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Roster spots don't equate to innings or at bats. There's actually a limit to opportunity. I also don't buy the cheap-skate Twins meme. There's probably more to why Slama (and Dozier) isn't currently on the roster, but it's not a story the Twins are willing to tell.
I agree with you on this one. There are probably a few reasons that the Twins aren't willing to share that explains their call ups this September. I'm not ready to ask for JR's job because he didn't call up Slama. I'm not really ready to break out the fire and pitchforks quite yet. Now, if the Twins don't do anything at all to improve over the winter and they're headed for another 100 loss season by June, then we can (and should) demand that heads roll.

TheLeviathan
09-04-2012, 11:00 PM

A team that has carried 13 pitchers for significant stretches of the season can sure as hell find some innings. Hell, you could lighten the load on Perkins and Burton down the stretch to help their arms.

Besides.....what else is he doing for the next month exactly?

righty8383
09-04-2012, 11:05 PM
The guy doesn't have what it takes at this level. People care way to much about stats, real scouts watch the games, he had his chance and proved all the scouts right.

When exactly did he get his chance? Are you talking about the 7 ML innings he has logged between '10 and '11? I guess sample size means nothing to you.

drjim
09-04-2012, 11:34 PM

On a team that spent large chunks of the year with an 8 man bullpen, and STILL managed to find reason to complain about the pen being "worn out" weekly--which team is now employing 6 starters--I think you can find some innings for a couple extra relievers. If nothing else, you save wear and tear on Burton, who they've been concerned about all year.

This, like every other reason Ryan or anyone else has brought up, makes little sense if given even the slightest thought.

Well, even with the 6 man rotation the Twins now have a 9 man bullpen without Slama, so I'm sure they are pretty much covered. Not sure there would be a ton of innings to be had even if they continue to protect Burton as much as they have the past couple of months.

I don't want to argue too much because I agree that Slama should be up (instead of Perdomo). I just think a lack of available innings is a more logical explanation than cheapness.

drjim
09-04-2012, 11:37 PM

In case you haven't noticed, the team is utterly bereft of proven MLB SP talent. It's hard to envision they can have any semblance of one in 2013 with only the offseason to get it done. There were guys available in July and especially August for practically only the contract that could eat 200 innings next year standing on their head.

Really? There were guys available for only their contracts that will easily pitch 200 innings next year? Please, please enlighten me on who these pitchers might be.

Rosterman
09-04-2012, 11:51 PM
For a game like Tuesday, nice to have a big roster/ Question regarding Slama, if not going to use him for what he really is, why have him close games at Rochester...why not just use him as a 7th inning guy and give those important innings to supposed guys you think might help the team. Have him up here. See if he has worked on stuff. Maybe he is the closer in 2013.....and Perk can remain as setup with Burton.

Twins Twerp
09-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Geez la weez do you guys love Slama. The guy is down in Mexico, probably Cabo, working out getting ready for winter ball. All everyone can do is go crazy about how he deserves at most a 5 inning september call-up. If the other guy, peridimo is poopie, we don't bring him back next year. Slama IS coming back. Do we know that we are not "shutting" him down after the injury he had that kept him sidelined for half the summer?

Nick Nelson
09-05-2012, 12:14 AM
So Ryan's argument is that calling up a reliever with a 1.99 career ERA who has the highest strikeout rate in his entire league would be a slight to the thoroughly mediocre Luis Perdomo and... Esmerling Vasquez? How is Vasquez even related to this discussion? He's a starter.

These excuses just don't hold water. It's very possible that when Ryan said "he'll get his chance" he meant with another organization, because I have a hard time seeing how 29 teams pass on the chance to nab him for free in the Rule 5 now that he's healthy.

Nick Nelson
09-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Well, even with the 6 man rotation the Twins now have a 9 man bullpen without Slama, so I'm sure they are pretty much covered. Not sure there would be a ton of innings to be had even if they continue to protect Burton as much as they have the past couple of months.

I don't want to argue too much because I agree that Slama should be up (instead of Perdomo). I just think a lack of available innings is a more logical explanation than cheapness.
The funny thing is that when they called up Perdomo the number one thing they said they liked about him is that he has a "rubber arm." How is that a meaningful benefit when you have 9 relievers?

notoriousgod71
09-05-2012, 12:34 AM
They're perfectly free to give less innings to Swarzak if they wanted to give Slama an opportunity. It's really inexcusable not to give this guy a shot. We'll see Blackburn again before we see Slama.

PseudoSABR
09-05-2012, 12:46 AM

A team that has carried 13 pitchers for significant stretches of the season can sure as hell find some innings. Hell, you could lighten the load on Perkins and Burton down the stretch to help their arms.

Besides.....what else is he doing for the next month exactly?I was hinting that the Twins have other problems with Slama that we don't know about; whatever they are, and until the Twins choose to reveal them, it will seem unreasonable that he hasn't been promoted.

This isn't anything new with the Twins. I think JR's comment about the "stat-line" gives us a clue about what the Twins think about non-stat Slama.

Shane Wahl
09-05-2012, 12:47 AM

I agree. The reasoning is barbarically stupid. This team didn't even invite Slama to ST this year, instead hoping on Matt Maloney and Jeff Gray (one wonders how this would have played out if Maloney hadn't been brutally awful but merely Gray-esque this year . . . no Tyler Robertson?). AGAIN. Terry Ryan seems to take a dig at people who look at stats. Imagine looking at stats to evaluate a player! Slama has not been "good" . . . he has been totally dominant this year.

The problem is not the particulars of the Slama situation. It is that this team has a mindset of evaluation that is in the 20th century. You don't sign Nick Blackburn to a multi-year deal while he is in arbitration unless you are a poor evaluator. You don't trot out Jeff Gray again and again unless you are a poor evaluator. You don't keep Slama in AAA unless you are a poor evaluator. The Twins CLEARLY want him to go away because they don't want to give him the chance to demonstrate how damn foolish they have been.

It is not Slama's case alone and it is not the collection of cases . . . it is the reasoning (or lack thereof) that is the problem.

PseudoSABR
09-05-2012, 12:49 AM
So Ryan's argument is that calling up a reliever with a 1.99 career ERA who has the highest strikeout rate in his entire league would be a slight to the thoroughly mediocre Luis Perdomo and... Esmerling Vasquez? How is Vasquez even related to this discussion? He's a starter.

These excuses just don't hold water. It's very possible that when Ryan said "he'll get his chance" he meant with another organization, because I have a hard time seeing how 29 teams pass on the chance to nab him for free in the Rule 5 now that he's healthy.I stated this in another post, but the money quote from JR to me is the stat-line quip about Slama. There's more going on with how the Twins view Slama's place in the organization.

My guess, Slama doesn't run through first base during bunting practice.

Shane Wahl
09-05-2012, 12:51 AM

7 innings. You are aware of how dominant he has been in AAA, right? Real scouts know that seeing-eye scouting and statistics should line up. Statistics are fairly objective, by the way. What some scout sees is subjective. You are aware of this difference, right?

Shane Wahl
09-05-2012, 12:57 AM
It's September . . . limit the innings of Burton, Duensing (who they decided in some crazy idiotic fashion to start), and Perkins. Let other guys pitch. Guerra and Slama are obvious choices. It is not as thought there is AAA baseball going on right now.

righty8383
09-05-2012, 01:02 AM

7 innings. You are aware of how dominant he has been in AAA, right? Real scouts know that seeing-eye scouting and statistics should line up. Statistics are fairly objective, by the way. What some scout sees is subjective. You are aware of this difference, right?

Nope, if Twins' scouts say he can't get it done, then he can't. Don't you know they've never been wrong?:p

old nurse
09-05-2012, 01:18 AM

Dave is risking the ire of the faithful. One would think the scouts know what pitches Slama does well and if they will work at the major league level. Perdoma may have the potential. They can find out for sure and resolve it this year. Slama can go to ST and prove if he has learned the guile of a DeVries to make what he has work.
Rule 5 draft? Why risk even 25000 when there are plenty of similar arms out there.

Highabove
09-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Let's see,
Scott Diamond was one of the first Pitchers cut in Spring Training. I guess, the Twins Brass were also right on that one.

USAFChief
09-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Geez la weez do you guys love Slama. The guy is down in Mexico, probably Cabo, working out getting ready for winter ball. All everyone can do is go crazy about how he deserves at most a 5 inning september call-up. If the other guy, peridimo is poopie, we don't bring him back next year. Slama IS coming back. Do we know that we are not "shutting" him down after the injury he had that kept him sidelined for half the summer?

So a five inning september call-up won't tell us anything about Slama, but will tell us if "peridimo" is poopie.

BTW, the injury he suffered was a broken leg, not an arm or shoulder issue. You don't shut people down for a broken leg after it's healed and he's back pitching again.

Mr. Ed
09-05-2012, 02:13 AM
Not enough locker space for the veterans of the team.
Not enough room on the plane.

Flimsy reasons from TR. Appreciate the Press did ask it. Better than LEN just giving his own take.

jokin
09-05-2012, 04:00 AM

Really? There were guys available for only their contracts that will easily pitch 200 innings next year? Please, please enlighten me on who these pitchers might be.

I didn't say "only", you did, the "practically" I used considers the small time left in the season on outright claims or trades for prospects at depth or trades based on salary relief or mutual salary-cancellation deals, which were potentially available all over the place, up to, and apparently including potential deals with the Dodgers and Red Sox. A guy like Lucas Harrell was available for nothing in late August 2011 and FAs on short-term deals like Edwin Jackson, Paul Maholm and Eric Bedard were doable in the off-season if the Twins were intrepid enough to take some intiative. Players available in all price ranges that could potentially fulfill the criteria I describe this season (and possibly could have been included in even a bigger trade) include:

1) Jason Vargas
2) Jon Lester
3) Randy Wolf
4) Ricky Romero (Blue Jays apparently eager to package him in trade w/ prospects for Morneau)
5) Joe Saunders
6) Justin Masterson
7) Ricky Nolasco
8) Jeremy Guthrie (Traded for J Sanchez, why not a deal involving Liriano?)
9) Chris Schwinden (Big MiL innings eater, could be had for nothing)
10) Ted Lilly
11) Travis Blackley (A's got him for nothing, big MiL innings eater)
12) Felix Doubront (Red Sox waiver wire, part of Morneau/Mauer deal w/ Lester?)
13) Elinson Volquez
14) Allen Webster (Big MiL innings eater, part of LA Morneau deal?)
15) Josh Beckett

jokin
09-05-2012, 04:05 AM

Plenty of available innings tonight for Swarzack and Perdomo to throw BP to the White Sox- who quickly proceeded to break their own team record for Doubles in a single game....

SarasotaBill
09-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Obviously Ryan doesn't believe in Slama so he would rather keep him as an insurance policy for next year.

If Ryan adds Slama to the 40 and then he takes him off then another team only needs to keep Slama on the 40.

If Ryan keeps Slama off the 40 then another team must use the Rule V and keep him on their 25.

It'll be interesting if Slama doesn't get claimed in the Rule V, will Ryan invite Slama to MN ST.

DPJ
09-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Colter Bean V2.0

SpiritofVodkaDave
09-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Let's see,
Scott Diamond was one of the first Pitchers cut in Spring Training. I guess, the Twins Brass were also right on that one.
LOL, that is some flawless reasoning there... funny, you don't hear all the haters bitching about the Twins trading Billy Bullock for Diamond any more, perhaps the Twins did know what they were doing long term, just like they did with Perkins, Slowey and most likely Slama.

I can't believe a 28 year old AAA RP is causing 8 pages worth of threads over the past 24 hours. This will look really foolish when the Twins give him 50 IP next year and he walks 40 while giving up 30 ER

SpiritofVodkaDave
09-05-2012, 08:37 AM

Besides, its Anthony freaking Slama, not a guy like Parmelee.[/QUOTE]

Oh wait, that's right, he screwed that one up, too.[/QUOTE]

How? Parmelee is up now getting at bats and crushing it, is it really that big of a deal that he didn't get an additional 30-40 AB in August? Who exactly was he supposed to take those at bats from anyways?
Morneau? I imagine they wanted him to get as many at bats as he could in order to showcase him for a potential off season deal.
Span? Ditto
Mauer/Willingham? You don't take your best two bats out of the lineup for a rookie.

Boom Boom
09-05-2012, 08:43 AM
I can't believe a 28 year old AAA RP is causing 8 pages worth of threads over the past 24 hours. This will look really foolish when the Twins give him 50 IP next year and he walks 40 while giving up 30 ER

The Twins haven't had any trouble finding innings for even older AAA relievers with even worse stat lines and stuff that's no better than Slama's. Outside of saving a busload of orphans from falling off a cliff I don't know what else Slama can do to earn a call up.

Monkeypaws
09-05-2012, 09:23 AM
What is Slama's strikeout pitch?

nokomismod
09-05-2012, 09:34 AM
I think his strikeout pitch is a slider.
This is a big head scratcher and it's great how much we all care about it. Part of it is I think he might make the bullpen better, but it's also about emphathy for the guy as I can only imagine if I was in his shoes, I would want a shot with the big league club.
Could it be the Stache? Or was he friends with Slowey?

old nurse
09-05-2012, 09:38 AM

The same statistics that showed Hendricks dominated AAA ball means what to his major league success so far? While statistics describe what a player has done at a level it is not necessarily a predictor for the next level. For hitters Dave McCarty comes to mind of minor league statistics. Great skill set for the minors, never panned out in the majors. Kevin Slowey is another.
Slama should get a chance though to pitch at the major league level. Roster manipulation may be in play.

Nick Nelson
09-05-2012, 12:22 PM
This will look really foolish when the Twins give him 50 IP next year and he walks 40 while giving up 30 ER
If you believe that, then you're missing the point. So is Reusse (https://twitter.com/1500ESPN_Reusse/status/243202322845536256). I don't see anyone here claiming that Slama is definitely going to be a great reliever in the majors. In fact, I'm very willing to believe that the Twins' evaluation of him may be correct. But I don't trust them enough that I'm going to simply take their word for it. It simply doesn't hurt anything to give him a shot that he's clearly earned through performance.

Brock Beauchamp
09-05-2012, 12:27 PM
This will look really foolish when the Twins give him 50 IP next year and he walks 40 while giving up 30 ER
If you believe that, then you're missing the point. So is Reusse (https://twitter.com/1500ESPN_Reusse/status/243202322845536256). I don't see anyone here claiming that Slama is definitely going to be a great reliever in the majors. In fact, I'm very willing to believe that the Twins' evaluation of him may be correct. But I don't trust them enough that I'm going to simply take their word for it. It simply doesn't hurt anything to give him a shot that he's clearly earned through performance.

No one can look at the 2012 bullpen and then tell me with a straight face that Slama hasn't earned multiple chances to pitch for the big league club.

Jeff-freakin-Gray, people. Jeff-freaking-Gray.

DPJ
09-05-2012, 12:29 PM
This is what it's come to...Anthony ****ing Slama.

IdahoPilgrim
09-05-2012, 12:30 PM

This isn't about Slama. This whole issue is simply a proxy to express long-simmering resentment about the front office. If it wasn't Slama, it would have crystallized around something else (Butera?).

I'm in favor of whatever will end this debate once and for all. My guess - nobody takes him in the Rule V draft, he gets an invite to ST, and doesn't make the club on opening day.

DPJ
09-05-2012, 12:34 PM
My guess - nobody takes him in the Rule V draft, he gets an invite to ST, and doesn't make the club on opening day.

Someone thinks there's Johan Santana's and Dan Uggla's loading up the Rule 5 draft.

Brock Beauchamp
09-05-2012, 12:36 PM
I'd be shocked if no one took Slama in the Rule V draft. Where is the risk in doing so? You're not going to find a more MLB-ready player in that draft.

snepp
09-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't see anyone here claiming that Slama is definitely going to be a great reliever in the majors.

Quit picking on Dave's strawmen, they have feelings too. It's obvious that we're all claiming Slama is guaranteed to be a Hall of Fame closer.

jokin
09-05-2012, 12:49 PM

Oh wait, that's right, he screwed that one up, too.[/QUOTE]

How? Parmelee is up now getting at bats and crushing it, is it really that big of a deal that he didn't get an additional 30-40 AB in August? Who exactly was he supposed to take those at bats from anyways?
Morneau? I imagine they wanted him to get as many at bats as he could in order to showcase him for a potential off season deal.
Span? Ditto
Mauer/Willingham? You don't take your best two bats out of the lineup for a rookie.[/QUOTE]

Kudos to your bravery (or your masochistic urges) for your shameless shilling for the Twins FO. Span, Mauer and Willingham have nothing to do with this point of contention. The Twins obviously went in to the season with an uncertain plan for their roster. Willingham in RF and then LF at the last minute, Revere 4th/5th OF and then demoted for Komatsu/Thomas, Doumit starts out as RF starter, Plouffe is "super-utility" OF-IF......

Parmelee soon ended up with a role on the Twins as the 3rd 1B/6th OF- which means he doesn't play, goes down to the IL, mashes at an elite level above anyone in the entire Leauge, gets called up again to the Twins- only to sit again and then be soon sent down again when it was definitively determined that the Twins would violate their promise of no scholarships and unnecessary bench spots held by 3rd Catchers.

In the meantime it's clear now that Morneau could have been traded to the Blue Jays, possibly the Rays and then most definitely to the LA Dodgers. The obviously logical move for a team that should be in full-rebuild mode, but instead is in full-time clueless mode.

So yeah, the Twins screwed this one up, too, royally.

jokin
09-05-2012, 01:04 PM

This isn't about Slama. This whole issue is simply a proxy to express long-simmering resentment about the front office. If it wasn't Slama, it would have crystallized around something else (Butera?).

I'm in favor of whatever will end this debate once and for all. My guess - nobody takes him in the Rule V draft, he gets an invite to ST, and doesn't make the club on opening day.

One man's Proxy is another man's Bill of Attainder.

This is not about resentment, the club has been found repeatedly guilty- not just of failed promises, decrepit decision-making and moribund mismanagement, but also of blatant hypocrisy about it's own self-imposed standards for performance as determinants for reward and punishment.

Mauerzy4Prez
09-05-2012, 01:10 PM
I think what this front office really needs to do is be totally up front about their intent on these moves, and stop contradicting themselves over and over again. All we have heard the last week or so is that the Twins will still "honor the integrity of the game" and put their best line ups on the field when playing contending teams.... GREAT!!! But how are their call ups (other than Parm) going to allow them to do this? Escobar had a great game last night, and his offense will come back to Earth. Perdomo is wild, and not Samuel Deduno wild, and clearly there are other guys in AAA (Slama) that are better right now. I'm not blaming Terry Ryan for this, I blame Jim Pohlad. This guy has no care or desire to make the team any better than they already are. I recently heard an interview where Jimmy said that the decision to remove the interim tag from TR's title is up to TR. AHHH Okay? You're the owner of this team, and you handle all hiring decisions, but you're okay with letting someone basically chose their own destiny as your GM? How are they going to ever expect TR to perform at his best, when he has nobody holding him accountable for his decisions? Bottom line, we can discuss who should be called up or shouldn't, how the Twins need to improve their pitching staff, etc... all day. It will not matter one bit until this ownership either decides to step up, or sells to somebody who actually cares about winning.

Dark Kinetic-Grip
09-05-2012, 01:44 PM
If you are of the opinion that you have more Baseball Intelligence™ than Terry Ryan concerning Anthony Slama and that he clearly deserves to be in MLB;

Predict the future 2013 MLB complete season statistics for Anthony Slama with a team other than the Minnesota Twins:
IP:
ERA:
WHIP:
BB:
SO:

IdahoPilgrim
09-05-2012, 01:50 PM

This is not about resentment, the club has been found repeatedly guilty- not just of failed promises, decrepit decision-making and moribund mismanagement, but also of blatant hypocrisy about it's own self-imposed standards for performance as determinants for reward and punishment.

This kind of makes my case for me.

I like the alliteration, though.

jokin
09-05-2012, 01:50 PM
If you are of the opinion that you have more Baseball Intelligence™ than Terry Ryan concerning Anthony Slama and that he clearly deserves to be in MLB;

Predict the future 2013 MLB complete season statistics for Anthony Slama with a team other than the Minnesota Twins:
IP:
ERA:
WHIP:
BB:
SO:

OK, but while you're completely veering past the point while clumsily employing Argumentis Extremis, why don't you go first?, TR can go second- as he probably already knows the team that drafts him in the Rule 5...., and then, someone with "clearly" more "Baseball Intelligence" can give it a shot.

DPJ
09-05-2012, 01:52 PM

IP:
ERA:
WHIP:
BB:
SO:

Someone is not quite understanding peoples frustration in this thread?

Seth Stohs
09-05-2012, 01:54 PM
I'd be shocked if no one took Slama in the Rule V draft. Where is the risk in doing so? You're not going to find a more MLB-ready player in that draft.

Last year, the Twins took Slama off the 40 man roster. No one claimed him. he was also eligible for the Rule 5 draft. he went undrafted. He tops out at 88 mph. Those aren't the types that get taken. He'll come to spring training with the Twins next year and we'll see what happens.

gunnarthor
09-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Unbelievable thread. :banghead:

ashburyjohn
09-05-2012, 02:17 PM
he had his chance and proved all the scouts right.

Trollin' trollin' trollin', keep those posts a-rollin'...

Seven innings. Yep, case closed.

Nick Nelson
09-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Last year, the Twins took Slama off the 40 man roster. No one claimed him. he was also eligible for the Rule 5 draft. he went undrafted. He tops out at 88 mph. Those aren't the types that get taken. He'll come to spring training with the Twins next year and we'll see what happens.
He had elbow problems around this time last year. With a clean bill of health, it's going to be a different story.

DPJ
09-05-2012, 02:50 PM
This thread is so loose butthole.

Twins Twerp
09-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Haha, this is what is come too. You know you're in loserville USA when the conversation on how a AAA reliever, who has never been looked at as a prospect, who is tearing up AAA at age 50, is the topic of the town.

*The vikings season is already over.
*The Gophers mind as well commit mass suicide as to evade total embarrassment.
*The T-Wolves are...the T-Wolves.
*The Wild are in full on NHL lockout mode after spending eleventy billion dollars this offseason.
*The Lynx still are playing while wearing clothes, call when they aren't.
*Gophers hockey still isn't Souix Hockey

*And the Minnesota freakin' Twins have resorted to mass conversation about ANTHONY, 39th round pick, SLAMA. God has smiled upon us with the great gift of Slama, and we hath turned our backeth on him by not giving him a shot at 7 innings of middle relief work...oh the humanity.

Brock Beauchamp
09-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Haha, this is what is come too. You know you're in loserville USA when the conversation on how a AAA reliever, who has never been looked at as a prospect, who is tearing up AAA at age 50, is the topic of the town.

*The Wild are in full on NHL lockout mode after spending eleventy billion dollars this offseason.

*And the Minnesota freakin' Twins have resorted to mass conversation about ANTHONY, 39th round pick, SLAMA. God has smiled upon us with the great gift of Slama, and we hath turned our backeth on him by not giving him a shot at 7 innings of middle relief work...oh the humanity.

Post of the week.

Mauerzy4Prez
09-06-2012, 04:04 PM

Woooomp Wooomp

rickyriolo
09-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Funny funny stuff....love it

Shane Wahl
09-06-2012, 04:49 PM

AHAHAHAHAHA! Every line is pretty damn funny.