PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Slama Petition

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 06:04 PM
This may be a long shot and most of you might not be willing to participate, but maybe we can get an answer from Terry Ryan on the Anthony Slama situation.

If all goes correctly and I receive a decent amount of signatures (TD names or real names, both work). I will send Terry Ryan an email using his email address from the MLB.com site and cut and paste everyone's name onto an email message following this statement (please critique it and respond if you have any issues with it). If he responds to my email, I will blog his response on TD. To give your signature, respond to my next thread response on this subject. Here is my opening message:

Good Day Mr. Ryan.

A lot of us Twins Fans are somewhat perplexed and a bit upset as to why Anthony Slama has not been given a fair chance to prove himself with the Twins at the Major League Level this season.

We are the fans who pay for tickets. We are the fans who buy memorabilia. We are the fans who spend hours of our day watching a ballclub that has let us down and we will probably continue to do so.

We want to know why you won’t give another opportunity to Anthony Slama, a pitcher who has done nothing but pitch dominantly at every level in the minor leagues. Yes, he was called up briefly in 2010, but that call-up did not quench the thirst of us fans.

What we are requesting is an in-depth answer as to why Slama was not a September call-up. We want to know if he has a future with this club. We want to know what you like, but mostly dislike about him – because from our viewpoint, the Twins organization does not view him as a MLB pitcher.

Mr. Ryan, we deserve to have these questions answered.

With Regards,

Your Supporters,

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Respond to this -

Thrylos
09-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Your Supporters,

That is not totally necessary now, is it?

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Deadline is Wednesday @ 2:00pm

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Your Supporters,

In this kind of scenario, the truth needs to be bent a little bit.:)

glunn
09-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Your Supporters,

If we start quibbling over every word, we will never get this done. Some of us would like to see Ryan replaced, but in the meantime I think we can all support whatever good things he might do. Please sign me up for this petition!

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Your Supporters,

If we start quibbling over every word, we will never get this done. Some of us would like to see Ryan replaced, but in the meantime I think we can all support whatever good things he might do. Please sign me up for this petition!

Good point Glunn. This will be my last response and I will sign you up!:)

Twins Fan From Afar
09-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Join me.
Andrew Walter

JB_Iowa
09-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Sign me up, please.

righty8383
09-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Put me down

ShaeTwins
09-03-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm in,

Shae Dougall

jokin
09-03-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm struggling with the opening language as I'm not anything close to "somewhat perplexed" about this absurd situation. I'm baffled. I think specifics might be included about why TR continues his love affairs with the 2 Jeffs- Manship and Gray, when they predictably and demonstrably have yielded inferior results to Slama at every level. Casey Fien (despite being a nice surprise for the Twins) actually had less justifiable reasons for a call-up over Slama (not sure on the timing with Slama's injury) as Slama is 3 months younger, bigger in stature and has better stats over both his MiLB career and this season at Roc, as well (for example- K/9 of 12.4 vs. Fien's K/9 of 8.9).

Regardless, I heartily endorse the petition.

powrwrap
09-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm in.

ashburyjohn
09-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Count me in.

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 07:52 PM
I guess I will have to play the Jerry Lewis role in this. Please give your signature to this petition. We might get an answer with your cooperation.:)

joeboo_22
09-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Put me in, and I'm not even a Slamatime fan. What I'd really like though is a comment from his agent.

silverslugger
09-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Free Slama!

J-Dog Dungan
09-03-2012, 08:02 PM
1) I'm in all the way
2) Been thinking about doing somewhat of the same thing, except I was just going to send him an email while he was on Inside Twins next Sunday

snepp
09-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Sign me up.

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Channeling Jerry Lewis again. Please lend your support - an administrator or two would be nice.:)

JA
09-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Count me in! Thanks for doing this, Jeff Allen

clutterheart
09-03-2012, 08:34 PM
I am not in.
Just call his damn radio show and ask him directly why he promotes inferior pitchers with walk rates and SO less than Slama. He will give you a bull**** answer but at least make him answer

glanzer
09-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Please put me down, as well as my wife Lauren and beagle Baxter. We all feel very strongly that Mr. Slama and his family have been wronged, not unlike the situation that Mr. Mastroianni found himself in with Toronto a year ago.

righty8383
09-03-2012, 08:52 PM
I am not in.
Just call his damn radio show and ask him directly why he promotes inferior pitchers with walk rates and SO less than Slama. He will give you a bull**** answer but at least make him answer

When is he on the radio? I seriously will call him and press him on it.

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Please put me down, as well as my wife Lauren and beagle Baxter. We all feel very strongly that Mr. Slama and his family have been wronged, not unlike the situation that Mr. Mastroianni found himself in with Toronto a year ago.

Done, Done and Done!

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 08:57 PM
I am not in.

I hope you reconsider clutterheart.:)

snepp
09-03-2012, 09:07 PM
So I asked my boys, 6, what they thought about Anthony Slama.

Their response, in unison, "Free Anthony Slama!"

I near shed a tear.

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Come on Twins Daily Members - We need your support!!!

robbie111
09-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Count me in too!

Thrylos
09-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Hope you put me in already
(other that the supporting Ryan part)

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Hope you put me in already
(other that the supporting Ryan part)

Your in Thrylos. I am glad to have you on board!:)

peterb18
09-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Count me in.

Badsmerf
09-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Free Slama..... and let him Slama the door!

Shane Wahl
09-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I have seen and signed various petitions before. I believe you can actually start one somehow, link to it, and have people put their name in. If you want anything remotely "official" at all. Very clearly, I, Shane Wahl, am in though.

Bark's Lounge
09-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Keep them coming everyone. This is my last thread response until tomorrow, but I hope to have my hands full taking names until the 2:00pm deadline on Wednesday!!!

Shane Wahl
09-03-2012, 10:52 PM
I am no longer in Minnesota, so I am away from the Twins "access" media . . . do any of them actually ask the "deciders" about Slama in any meaningful way? I mean they have to do so, right?

jimbo92107
09-03-2012, 10:54 PM
If Terry Ryan will not call up Slama, I would at least like to know the real reason why. With numbers like his, Slama should be the first reliever to get a shot. Time to find out if his magic works at the major league level.

Sign me up.

Jim Parker

nicksaviking
09-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm in.

This has got to be the least decisive thread this site has seen in the last three months.

COtwin
09-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm in. COtwin-Nathan Wood

Willihammer
09-03-2012, 10:57 PM
yes

Coach J
09-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Sign me up.. Tyler Judd

adjacent
09-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Count me in.

Land Of 10,000 Beasts
09-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Count me in!!!
-Caleb Loge

spindoctor02
09-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Signed

Highabove
09-04-2012, 01:07 AM
i'm in.

Big Daddy H
09-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Mr. Ryan, I agree with this letter. Anthony Slama now has 100 saves in our minor league system. He gave up only about 4 earned runs all year. I believe when a player does that well he should at least be honored with a reasonable chance to prove himself at the next level. He is not on the 40 man roster so that may be the problem. Also Anthony doesn't throw very hard and walks a few batters. I believe the Twin's coaches could solve the walking problem. Mr. Ryan you don't want to put him on the 40 man roster, at least tell him now that he will be given a fair shot in spring training so he doesn't lose his desire. For Anthony, for you, and for the Twin's it would be the right thing to do. Mr. Ryan, thank you for your time and consideration. Alan Harrer, Twins fan forever.

COtwin
09-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Need to get this post back on the front page.

ryetimmay
09-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Add me. Thanks.

09-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Count me in.

Tom Fischer

JB_Iowa
09-04-2012, 09:28 AM
For those who know when to call in, I urge you to do it. And if, in addition to signing the petition, anybody wants to e-mail Mr. Ryan directly with similar sentiments, do it. Or send them to someone else in the Twins' food chain.

AND, some of us should e-mail Mackey, LEN3, etc. and ask them to press for an explanation.

Attack the issue on all fronts.

COtwin
09-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Bark. You should check out Todd Snider's song D.B. Cooper. You might like it.

gunnarthor
09-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Just a couple of suggestions on your letter. First, "We are the fans who spend hours of our day watching a ballclub that has let us down and we will probably continue to do so." That'll make him want to respond. Second, "We want to know why you won’t give another opportunity to Anthony Slama." The Twins have already told you why they won't do so - they don't think his stuff will work at the ML level. What you really want is for the Twins to call him up despite what the Twins have concluded on Slama. If you want him up, say so. If you just want a reason for him staying in the minors, be prepared for a "his stuff won't play" response.

In any event, I've never given a crap about the free Slama movement but you can add my name.

snepp
09-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Jeff Gray's stuff played well enough at the ML level to be given 50+ innings of some of the worst relief work in the entire league.

I find it very, very hard to believe that Slama's stuff isn't at least as "good." It's a bull**** piece of reasoning, and the front office should be called on.

MightyMpls
09-04-2012, 10:38 AM
I too am in! Any organization that can give almost 5 mo. to Jeff Freaking Gray and keep Slama down after Sept callups has got to be delusional! Do what is right Mr. Ryan, and make the call. #FREESLAMA

Top Gun
09-04-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm in.

gunnarthor
09-04-2012, 10:48 AM
I find it very, very hard to believe that Slama's stuff isn't at least as "good." It's a bull**** piece of reasoning, and the front office should be called on.

But that supposes someone named "snepp" with a TMNT avatar, living in South Dakota, knows more than a ML front office.

Slama was a 39th rd pick out of San Diego. He's had injury issues that last two years that didn't allow him to hit even 40ip either season. He's been exposed to the rule V draft and not selected by other teams. The team doesn't think his stuff will work at this level.

He might turn into Jeff Gray 2.0 but I don't get why so much ink (so to speak) is spent on this guy. But, as I said, sign me on the petition.

Boom Boom
09-04-2012, 10:48 AM
I'd like to know as well.

We've heard before from the Twins org. that Slama just doesn't have the "stuff" to be successful in the big leagues... all the while the Twins are giving opportunities to Gray, Maloney, Manship, and a bevy of other relievers that have never been successful at the MLB level and have "stuff" that's no better than Slama's.

Jeff P
09-04-2012, 11:28 AM
I agree, don't understand why he doesn't get another chance. The funny thing is, I think he would fail in the majors, but it seems to me that his performance has been so good at AAA that he has earned the chance to succeed or fail on the field instead of relying solely on the scouting reports.

snepp
09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
But that supposes someone named "snepp" with a TMNT avatar, living in South Dakota, knows more than a ML front office.

You're supposing they're perfect and don't make any mistakes. I knew more than they did about Jeff Gray, that's apparent.

Slama will likely never amount to anything, but there's a problem with the process here.

gunnarthor
09-04-2012, 11:38 AM

You're supposing they're perfect and don't make any mistakes. I knew more than they did about Jeff Gray, that's apparent.

Slama will likely never amount to anything, but there's a problem with the process here.

Dangit, I was supposed to have put in a :-) thing in my first post so you didn't view my post as a personal attack. Hope you didn't.

TiberTwins
09-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I agree with this petition. Why was he not called up?

Brock Beauchamp
09-04-2012, 12:08 PM

Dangit, I was supposed to have put in a :-) thing in my first post so you didn't view my post as a personal attack. Hope you didn't.

Permaban coming in three... two... one...

powrwrap
09-04-2012, 12:17 PM
For those who know when to call in, I urge you to do it. And if, in addition to signing the petition, anybody wants to e-mail Mr. Ryan directly with similar sentiments, do it. Or send them to someone else in the Twins' food chain.

AND, some of us should e-mail Mackey, LEN3, etc. and ask them to press for an explanation.

Attack the issue on all fronts.

Mackey is talking about it right now on 1500ESPN.

stringer bell
09-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Slama probably should have been called up, but he will get his chance next spring I suppose. I can't get too worked up over it.

Winston Smith
09-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Let's hope he is smart enough to move on this winter, I'm assuming he is a minor league free agent this winter.
It doesn't appear he has been treated fairly by the Twins for a few years.

Musk21
09-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Slama probably should have been called up, but he will get his chance next spring I suppose. I can't get too worked up over it.

He won't get his chance here. As a minor league FA, it would be foolish for him to resign with the Twins. I don't understand why they wouldn't have just cut him if they had no intention of giving him an opportunity with the Twins.

twinslover
09-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Sign me up. I'm curious though, does the mlb site have Terry Ryan's email address as well?

TwinVike61
09-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Sign me up. I'm curious though, does the mlb site have Terry Ryan's email address as well?

From the drop-down menu: Roster: Front Office: [email protected]

Oh, and include me on the petition.

Rick Niedermann
09-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Sign me up. Rick Niedermann

Bark's Lounge
09-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Just a reminder - we have about 22 hours left. The deadline is 2:00pm Wednesday. Sign up if this is a petition that interests you!

Seth Stohs
09-04-2012, 04:09 PM
what happens at the deadline?

SpiritofVodkaDave
09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
I would hope Terry Ryan wouldn't make decisions based off of 30 signatures from a bunch of pissed off fans on a message board... good lord, this is quite embarrassing. Put me down as a no.

Bark's Lounge
09-04-2012, 04:21 PM
what happens at the deadline?

2:00pm on Wednesday is the last chance to lend your name to this petition and the petition will then be sent to Terry Ryan.

Bark's Lounge
09-04-2012, 04:22 PM
I would hope Terry Ryan wouldn't make decisions based off of 30 signatures from a bunch of pissed off fans on a message board... good lord, this is quite embarrassing. Put me down as a no.

Very Well... no it is.

bdhenders
09-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm in. Give Anthony Slama a fair shot and reward him for putting up numbers in AAA.

jokin
09-04-2012, 04:40 PM

Very Well... no it is.

That's either the early-afternoon Smirnoff talking or someone who embarrasses quite easily

COtwin
09-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't think any of us would expect for changes to be made based on this. It's more about being heard and pointing out to the front office what many people's perception is of the situation. I would think that taking a chance to address a group of passionate and fairly well educated fans is a good way to keep people interested and supportive in a rough patch for the team. Understanding how/why certain decisions are made is not a huge thing to ask. And I think it is good business.

Andrew Bryz-Gornia
09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Put my name on it.

LaBombo
09-04-2012, 05:57 PM

Yes, let's trust the Twins to subjectively evaluate another player based on a couple of innings of spring training instead of two years of undeniable success in AAA.

After all, the virtually scouting-only approach is working out great again this year, isn't it?

Bark's Lounge
09-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Yes, let's trust the Twins to subjectively evaluate another player based on a couple of innings of spring training instead of two years of undeniable success in AAA.

After all, the virtually scouting-only approach is working out great again this year, isn't it?

Hello LaBombo. Do you want to be on the petition?

Twins Twerp
09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
If he shaves the mustachio, I am in. If he does not, he can stay and room with Buxton when he gets to Rochester...(with the way we move prospects through our farm system, 2017 looks like a bit of a stretch).

LaBombo
09-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Hello LaBombo. Do you want to be on the petition?

Sure, as long as no solicitors will call on me... Also, make sure your raft is shipshape if you're in the central Pacific. Rough weather ahead.

Bark's Lounge
09-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Absolutely no solicitors. The raft is starting to show its wear and tear - let's hope for the best!:)

JB_Iowa
09-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Well, if they idea is to get Ryan to answer questions, it appears that ship has sailed. Shipley did a reasonable job but the answers are total B.S. (and I don't mean Bill Smith).

Bark's Lounge
09-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I guess the question we have to ask ourselves is this - do we still move forward with the petition? I would imagine if Ryan responded we'd get the same answers, but one never knows? I'm still game. Thoughts? If this is the end of this thread - I was impressed by the solidarity we have all shown.

Alex
09-04-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm very curious to know if Anthony Slama is aware is something like 25 pages of forum threads on him over the course of the season! It's an impressive movement that may say more about how frustrated people are with the decision making of the organization and lack of trust in it in it.

COtwin
09-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Heck yes. Send it.

johnnydakota
09-04-2012, 11:32 PM
please add me to your petition, and add when is this assclown ryan going to step down and let a true baseball man run this team?

Don't Feed the Greed Guy
09-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Free Slama from Baron Von Ryan's Gulag. Add Mark Olson to your list.

SpiritofVodkaDave
09-05-2012, 08:39 AM
please add me to your petition, and add when is this assclown ryan going to step down and let a true baseball man run this team?
Didn't Ryan single handily build a team that won 6 division titles in 9 years? And pulled off the best trade of the past 25 years? How does that make him an assclown again?

bdodge22
09-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Please add me to your petition, Brian Dodge

ast51106
09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I joined this board to sign this petition. Please add my signature. Adam Turner

ast51106
09-05-2012, 09:41 AM
I guess the question we have to ask ourselves is this - do we still move forward with the petition? I would imagine if Ryan responded we'd get the same answers, but one never knows? I'm still game. Thoughts? If this is the end of this thread - I was impressed by the solidarity we have all shown.

At this point the best option may be to point out how/why the answers he gave weren't accurate or truthful and demand the real reasons. The bullpen has been over worked and many in it have really struggled. This isn't a scenario where the only needs one more extra arm in the pen. They could easily add a few more players to see what they can do. They've already given extended looks to everyone in the pen and some have been so over worked that they've already thrown an entire season's worth of pitches. Shut them down to save their arms and at the same time see what else you have in the minors. Its not like these guys have been so impressive that there's no need to look for anyone better.

Docsilly
09-05-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm in!

Curt
09-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm in too. Am I too late?

jay
09-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Yes. #freeslama

thor7254
09-06-2012, 03:41 AM
I'm in

REPETE
09-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Respond to this -I'd like to see Slama this September. Worst case, he does poorly, and the front office is right. Best case, he does well, and makes a bid for the team next year, or becomes trade bait. Signed: Steve Peterson - Full Season Tix holder

Game163
09-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I agree. Kyle Liesenfeld

SpantheMan
09-06-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm in

Bark's Lounge
09-06-2012, 09:19 PM
After 2:00pm Wednesday, I stopped taking names and sent out the petition. To all of those who missed the deadline and responded - we appreciate your support with this thing and your passion will send good energy into getting a response from Terry Ryan.

After John Shippley's Q&A with Ryan, I was not so sure that this petition should be thrown out there. But, too many people responded with great passion and if I blew off the whole thing, I thought it might look and be cowardly to do as such. The petition is out their and we will see if there is an answer. If not - this was an enjoyable experience. It was a nice change to see some unity, cameraderie and solidarity on this site.

We'll see what happens!:o