PDA

View Full Version : Twins to recall Esmerling Vasquez and PJ Walters

John Bonnes
09-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Dustin Morse just tweeted that Vasquez and Walters will join the Twins in Kansas City tomorrow. It isn't clear if thatis it for Rochester September callups or not.

Seth Stohs
09-01-2012, 03:56 PM
they will promote some more from Rochester and maybe even New Britain. their seasons end after Monday's games. they are just getting a couple of arms up here now because they need them. others will come up on Tuesday.

SpiritofVodkaDave
09-02-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm really hoping they don't call up Arcia and Hicks at this point, there is zero reason whatsoever to start their clocks.

Ideally one or both of them destroys AAA early next year and we can see one or both on the Twins roster by June(assuming there is a spot open in the OF)

joeboo_22
09-02-2012, 02:47 AM
I don't really care about starting their clocks, I think that is the wrong reason to hold someone back and in the past hasn't worked great. However I think if you call up a guy from AA they better be playing. And I just don't see where they would get solid AB's at in the Twins OF

Seth Stohs
09-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Correct. Has nothimg to do with the service time clock, but they should play. Because of decisions they have to make on various players this offseason, Parmelee needs to play in RF pretty much every day. Willingham and Revere will still play most days, and they also have Mastroianni and Carson on the roster to find at bats. And if Span comes back, he'll need to play too. Arcia has been imcredible and can make a case, but it won't hurt his potential to not get a September call up.

Rosterman
09-02-2012, 09:47 AM
I think if Arcia got just one at bat and travelled with the team, it would be an experience that he would never forget. The big questions is how much money will the Twins spend on bench players. They could, conceivably, bring up Oliveros (and Gutierrez) and place them both on the 60-day, But they would have to be paid, freeing up other spots. Again, anyone going to Arizona won't be called up to wear a Twins uniform for two weeks. You could almost make a case for Dozier not to be called up because of his dismal Rochester stint and you know what he can do...give more tryout time to Florimon or Escobar (not to mention Casilla and Carroll). Not a big market for Casilla as he is still with the Twins, have to assume he went thru waivers and no one wanted to trade for him (even the Dodgers looking for a backup). The questions remain...is Capps worthwhile to give innings to this month. He will still cost the Twins a buyout to not resign him, which they shouldn't. And Span...if he isn't going to play, then let's look at others, and go ahead and put him on the 60-day and make the decision if you want to see Hicks and play Hicks and Parmelee. Also, what to do with Benson, could promote him and put him on the 60-day DL too. Sad that the Twins have all these disabled players that they might wish to look at, that you really are on a bubble for just outright cutting, because they might have some minor "prospect" worth in the next year. PROMOTE SLAMA!

Thrylos
09-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I think if you call up a guy from AA they better be playing. And I just don't see where they would get solid AB's at in the Twins OF

I agree for in-season call ups (when a team is not in contention; if a team is contending I think the best 25 should be up no matter what) but September is a different story. These guys are not playing in September anyways. So any PAs or IPs will be getting with the Twins would be bonus. Plus I think that it might help them, like it did with Parmelee

greengoblinrulz
09-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Any Sept ABs that go to Carson/Mastro instead of Hicks/Arcia is an example of why this organization is in the shape it is.
Mastro has done great & will be the 4th OF next yr.....Carson is nothing more than AAA depth.
If they are gonna waste an all important option on Arcia by not calling him up, shame on them. Same with Hicks, as he wont use an option.
The team does not have to play them in Sept over the top 3 OFs but they would get very valuable experience of seeing how to act as a major leaguer & what to expect when they do make it.