PDA

View Full Version : How much is an elite prospect worth?

Riverbrian
09-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Let's take the Rangers SS Jurickson Profar for example... Let's say you could buy him from the Rangers in a trade... Profar for Cash...

I realize that this would never happen... But what's your guess... How much cash would you be willing to send to the Rangers for Profar straight up?

Or better yet... How much cash would it take for the Rangers to give you Profar in return?

$100 Million... Is that too High?
50 Million... Is that too High or Too Low?

How Bout from the Pitching Side... What about Dylan Bundy of the Orioles?

mbents
09-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Would a good comparison be the system used with Japanese players? For example, with Yu Darvish, the Rangers paid nearly $52 million for the rights to negotiate with him, then signed him to a 6 year, $60 million contract. Their commitment is almost $112 million for an elite prospect like Darvish. There is some scouting involved, but the Rangers just outbid everybody for him.

J-Dog Dungan
09-01-2012, 02:23 PM
And for Darvish, the Rangers outpaid their competitors by a lot (I think I read a report that said that there was nobody within $15+ million of their initial bid).

IdahoPilgrim
09-01-2012, 02:30 PM
I don't know if I can speak intelligently to a dollar amount, but your post makes me wonder how the game would be different if it used the European style of player movement, with players bought and sold for transfer fees but also having to agree to a new contract with the other team for the deal to go through.

Seth Stohs
09-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Someone like Profar or Bundy would be at least $75 million, I would guess.

SpantheMan
09-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Profar or Bundy? I would pay 50 million in a second. Think about it. You get them for 3 years at league minimun and 3 more years arbitration eligible. For free agents 1 WAR is about 5m. I think they would produce 10 WAR over the first 4 years while they're salaries average less than 1m. Then you still have 2 years of control

darin617
09-01-2012, 07:50 PM

With the Dodger's and their crazy Yankee like spending spree you could double the amounts.

Twins Twerp
09-01-2012, 08:01 PM

With the Dodger's and their crazy Yankee like spending spree you could double the amounts.
Agreed. And with Bundy and the two kids from Pittsburgh, we're looking at about 200 mil because there salaries are cheap for years. But with the money the dodgers are putting out, it would be almost comical.