PDA

View Full Version : Span to DL after game

greengoblinrulz
08-30-2012, 03:47 PM
announced Gardy postgame....according move to be announced tomorrow
lil surprised with Sept 1 callups a day away

John Bonnes
08-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Seriously, it's like the Twins DL moves are a farce. I may need to write one. Theater of the absurd. Span to the DL on August 30th? I couldn't have made that up.

Shane Wahl
08-30-2012, 04:03 PM
announced Gardy postgame....according move to be announced tomorrow
lil surprised with Sept 1 callups a day away

Hahaha. What on earth!? How has this team not corrected this problem by now? It's past the point of ridiculous.

Brock Beauchamp
08-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Seriously, it's like the Twins DL moves are a farce. I may need to write one. Theater of the absurd. Span to the DL on August 30th? I couldn't have made that up.

It's baffling, for sure. What makes it even more baffling is that Span came back and played pretty well before "getting injured" again.

What the hell. Can we just blame everybody for this one, including Span himself?

drjim
08-30-2012, 04:11 PM
This is very low on the list of things that bother me. They seem to be caught between trying to get a guy to play and not upsetting Rochester too much as their season was winding down and they were fighting for a playoff spot.

When they are 20 games under .500 in late August don't think it is a huge deal if they miscalculate by a week or so. They still have Butera on the roster, obviously they aren't super concerned about all 25 roster spot.

matthew0211
08-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Better late than never for this. Perhaps Gardy got tired of looking at his bench in the 9th inning and saying, "Darn it, we don't have a pinch-hitter for Florimon (or Casilla or Dozier or Carroll or light-hitting infielder du jour)." I've certainly grown weary of it. Carrying Butera and 13 pitchers way too often hasn't helped.

greengoblinrulz
08-30-2012, 04:15 PM
will actually goin on DL hurt Span's value this offseason?? Guess it doent matter if he's not able/willing to play the rest of the yr

IdahoPilgrim
08-30-2012, 04:18 PM
The whole point of the 15-day DL is to free up a 25-man spot in case of an injury. Starting September, the 25-man roster goes away, and putting Span on the 15-day DL accomplishes exactly nothing.

Oh, my head! It hurts!

P.S. Didn't Bud Selig call us one of the best organizations in baseball just yesterday?

John Bonnes
08-30-2012, 04:19 PM
It's not the effect that bothers me. It's that it is a sympton of a larger problem, and it's one that has a huge effect on the team. For instance: Pavano. Had they handled that back when they knew there was a problem (or discovered it earlier) maybe he has a few good months late in the year instead of a few crappy months early in the year. Maybe he brings back a prospect or two. Or Baker. He clearly had this issue last August, bur rather than deal with it over the offseason, they deal with it in April. It's been crazy.

nicksaviking
08-30-2012, 04:27 PM
It does seem strange but maybe they plan on shutting him down and put him on the 60-day. Maybe they plan on calling up several guys they don't currently have on the 40-man. Still, can't imagine there are four guys not already on the 40-man who the Twins would want to call up.

MWLFan
08-30-2012, 04:27 PM
I can see where it can bug people, this lack of action in the face of fact. But my question is, is this a Twins issue or a baseball wide issue. Does this happen within the industry or is it just the Twins who seem to miscalculate the severity of injuries or listen to the pressurs of outside voices (ie..players, media, fans.) not wanting players to use the DL as a crutch and tough it out and play through the pain. Seems I heard a lot of that last year from folks during our hallmark 2011 campaign.

Is it just baseball, does basketball, football or hockey do similar things. I don't know this answer. But before I back the bus over the Twins FO a second, thrid or fourth time, they live under the bus it seems, I would like to see some stats on average time a Major Leaguer spends out of the lineup before be placed on DL. (My guess is the Twins lead in that catagory, but I am not sure.) Elias have that some where? Someone must put numbers to this somewhere.

joeboo_22
08-30-2012, 04:32 PM
It gets old, and yes Span deserves some of the blame, but at the same time if the medical staff is giving him the green light to play then its more their fault.

Something needs to get fixed, I don't know if its the medical staff, Gardy or the front office, but it needs to stop. The Twins are risking players future with these decisions and its not just 1 or 2 outliers its been numerous players of all levels from prospects, journey men and veterans. That says something, and not anything good.

greengoblinrulz
08-30-2012, 04:32 PM
It's not the effect that bothers me. It's that it is a sympton of a larger problem, and it's one that has a huge effect on the team. For instance: Pavano. Had they handled that back when they knew there was a problem (or discovered it earlier) maybe he has a few good months late in the year instead of a few crappy months early in the year. Maybe he brings back a prospect or two. Or Baker. He clearly had this issue last August, bur rather than deal with it over the offseason, they deal with it in April. It's been crazy. Baker was fine MN docs said, it was that he couldnt pitch with pain and that he had to quit babying his arm/elbow. That was the best diagnosis of all time

crarko
08-30-2012, 04:34 PM
It does seem strange but maybe they plan on shutting him down and put him on the 60-day. Maybe they plan on calling up several guys they don't currently have on the 40-man. Still, can't imagine there are four guys not already on the 40-man who the Twins would want to call up.

This is about the only reason that makes any possible sense here.

BeefMaster
08-30-2012, 04:41 PM
It's essential that they get someone called up tomorrow, so they can put him on the playoff roster!

JB_Iowa
08-30-2012, 04:46 PM
P.S. Didn't Bud Selig call us one of the best organizations in baseball just yesterday?

Pretty sure that Bud meant that in the they make money hands over fists and don't cause me any problems in the Commissioner's office sort of way

Steve Penz
08-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Will somebody please fill me in because I am sure that I missed something. In general, why would there be apprehension to put somebody on the DL? I don't understand. Is there a negative effect that can happen if you do that too quickly and their "injury" turns out to not merit a DL stint?

Is it simply that if you do that then a minor league player must come up to fill the spot and therefore mess up the team's lineup that they leave behind?

Thanks.

greengoblinrulz
08-30-2012, 04:55 PM
dont know if this is it, but ESPN 1500 says that Matt Carson (whom it hints could be the move) couldnt be called up till Sept 3 (must spend 10 days in minors) unless a player is put on the DL.

J-Dog Dungan
08-30-2012, 04:57 PM
According to 1500ESPN.com, Span was put on to the DL so the Twins could call up Matt Carson again, not because of mismanagement of the injury.

drjim
08-30-2012, 05:04 PM
I also wonder if this might open a chance for Hicks to be brought up. I still think it is a long shot, but with Span out for at least another 10 days that would open up some playing time. Still probably more likely they give Parmelee the majority of at bats in RF.

joeboo_22
08-30-2012, 05:05 PM
that makes even less sense, they just called up Parmelee, so they have 5 OF's. They can't wait 3 days to call up a guy who will prolly won't play a ton anyways?

joeboo_22
08-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Wait nevermind, they will call up Carson and play him over Parmelee instead, I had to think like Terry Ryan and Gardy for a second

drjim
08-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Wait nevermind, they will call up Carson and play him over Parmelee instead, I had to think like Terry Ryan and Gardy for a second

Or maybe have an extra bat so Florimon doesn't have to hit in the 9th with the tying run on second.

Unless they are facing a really tough lefty I'm pretty sure Parmelee will be in the lineup every day the rest of the year.

IdahoPilgrim
08-30-2012, 05:44 PM
According to 1500ESPN.com, Span was put on to the DL so the Twins could call up Matt Carson again, not because of mismanagement of the injury.

Phew! Now I feel better. I've been losing sleep wondering how we were going to get Carson that extra three days to play.:jump:

drjim
08-30-2012, 05:47 PM

Phew! Now I feel better. I've been losing sleep wondering how we were going to get Carson that extra three days to play.:jump:

Also, I'm not sure if this is true. I don't think the 10 day rule applies once September 1 rolls around.

The bigger issue is that reading more it appears that Span might be done for the season so they figured they might as well have the extra player for tomorrow.

Riverbrian
08-30-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm just glad to hear Carson is back. The guy played well up here... I felt bad for him when he got sent down.

joeboo_22
08-30-2012, 05:51 PM

Also, I'm not sure if this is true. I don't think the 10 day rule applies once September 1 rolls around.

The bigger issue is that reading more it appears that Span might be done for the season so they figured they might as well have the extra player for tomorrow.

I didn't think it did either, every year someone sends someone down or calls someone up on the 31st so they can be on the playoff roster. I remember the Twins doing it in the past and don't ever remember another move were someone went down for 10 days.

And what I was getting with Carson is how they made the move now rather then wait to the 3rd, had no problems for the last 18 days with a crappy bench and all of a sudden they make it sound like they can't wait for Carson.

drjim
08-30-2012, 06:09 PM

I didn't think it did either, every year someone sends someone down or calls someone up on the 31st so they can be on the playoff roster. I remember the Twins doing it in the past and don't ever remember another move were someone went down for 10 days.

And what I was getting with Carson is how they made the move now rather then wait to the 3rd, had no problems for the last 18 days with a crappy bench and all of a sudden they make it sound like they can't wait for Carson.

The playoff eligibility aspect of August 31 doesn't matter anymore either. They changed that rule recently.

None of us know the whole story but I wonder if they kind of waited on Span, listened when he said he was almost ready and finally got fed up with him. He had an MRI that showed nothing significant. There is undoubtedly problems with prognosis, but I'm not sure what else the Twins and training staff could do here. I have no problem waiting on the DL if the player is back within 7-10 days, and if Span kept stringing it along, they were kind of in a difficult place.

drjim
08-30-2012, 06:23 PM
I read a little more on this and Carson would not necessarily have to spend 10 days in the minors but would have to stay until the end of the season of the affiliate he was sent to (which may end up being 10 days), which would mean the Twins would be short for another 5 days if Carson was the only OF they wanted to bring up.

As I said I would be in favor of calling up Hicks, but they wouldn't do that until New Britain was done with their season.

joeboo_22
08-30-2012, 06:40 PM
I guess it does make sense then if he is the only OF worthy of a callup. I was more mocking not making the move for the last 3 weeks.

Sprained SC-Joints can be quite painful, with that joint sprained you have problems lifting your shoulder above your head, and when you do it is quite painful. the rest of the mobility isn't too bad.

greengoblinrulz
08-30-2012, 06:42 PM
How bad is Span hurt or how pissed is the organization/manager at him when he was in the initial lineup today then said he couldnt go. They couldnt/wouldnt even use him as a pinchrunner today/in Sept

Also, Carson is not in the lineup for ROC tonight.....

Alex
08-30-2012, 07:20 PM

These two items aren't mutually exclusive.

Thrylos
08-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Ryan missed a golden opportunity to trade Span before the deadline.
Unfortunate.

TheLeviathan
08-30-2012, 08:03 PM
So the camp thinking Span is going to land us some solid young starter ready to back down yet?

This team's injury nonsense is pretty laughable though - think of all the Parmalee ABs we lost the last few weeks as a result of this. Really depressing.

Nick Nelson
08-30-2012, 08:48 PM
This team's injury nonsense is pretty laughable though - think of all the Parmalee ABs we lost the last few weeks as a result of this. Really depressing.

How much is it really going to matter in the long run? Parmelee is going to get plenty of at-bats here in the final weeks and he'll be ready to go at the outset of the 2013 season. The Twins' medical staff has had some annoying moments, but I think this situation is being overblown. We're talking about the 25th roster spot on a last-place team.

TheLeviathan
08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
How much is it really going to matter in the long run? Parmelee is going to get plenty of at-bats here in the final weeks and he'll be ready to go at the outset of the 2013 season. The Twins' medical staff has had some annoying moments, but I think this situation is being overblown. We're talking about the 25th roster spot on a last-place team.

Um, I'm not sure about everyone else - but I'm not upset about this because it hurts the team. I'm upset about it because A) This is now a problem several years old and IF we were contenders would be a problem and (more importantly) B) Parmalee has proven he's better than AAA pitching and since we should be spending the rest of this season evaluating players that are part of the long-term future - he should be getting at-bats. I'm bullish on Parmalee being one of those players, so losing out on several weeks of audition time is frustrating. I don't think being frustrated by this continuing issue is "overblowing" anything.

Rosterman
08-30-2012, 09:04 PM
This makes absolutely no sense. No sense. And you can't 60-day a guy until the roster is at its 40-max. Picture Walters coming off and the Twins adding one player. If they are smart, they 60-day Capps, then add another. The 60-day Span and add one more (or just activate Capps and release him).

kab21
08-30-2012, 09:10 PM
This is just getting ridiculous. they have been playing a player short (2 actually since they have Butera on the roster) and they seem to continually have no idea what is wrong with players. I can understand those that are defending the inaction because there is some uncertainty when dealing with injuries but this is a continual issue with the Twins and I'm certain that it happens a lot more for the Twins.

birdwatcher
08-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey, relax, everyone. Our intrepid beat writers will get to the bottom of this. Stand back and watch the tough questions fly.

jokin
08-30-2012, 09:32 PM

"Some annoying moments"? They were apparently quite comfortable with the FO going public with a "diagnosis" to one of the highest-paid players in the history of baseball with a non-existent medical term? Given all the former players who went public about the situation here, I'd say the union and the agents are more than annoyed- and likely consider the Twins the laughingstock of baseball when it comes to handling medical and training concerns.

25th roster spot? Besides the pitching situation, the filling of this spot is one of the critical in-season decision-making tools on how the team moves forward, ie, a 2013 team with or without Parmele, and where.

Top Gun
08-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Thank god they finally put him on the dl. No other team has this problem. This is the major leagues and they play a player short and think nottin
of it. It's beyond reason.