PDA

View Full Version : Article: Twins 2013 Class A Affiliation Gets Muddied

Jim Crikket
08-29-2012, 01:00 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?982-Twins-2013-Class-A-Affiliation-Gets-Muddied

Rick Niedermann
08-29-2012, 03:37 PM
One other factor to consider is that George Spelius is President of the Midwest League and lives in Beloit. Certainly he is going to look out for the best interests of Beloit. Even thought their facilities are subpar and they have failed at efforts to remodel or rebuild in Beloit, he is still a powerbroker in the discussion.

IdahoPilgrim
08-29-2012, 03:47 PM
One other factor to consider is that George Spelius is President of the Midwest League and lives in Beloit. Certainly he is going to look out for the best interests of Beloit. Even thought their facilities are subpar and they have failed at efforts to remodel or rebuild in Beloit, he is still a powerbroker in the discussion.

I doubt that will affect who ends up paired with Beloit. It helps them preserve their place in the system, but at the end of the day they'll still probably be stuck with whoever is left over - last one picked:o

Jim Crikket
08-29-2012, 06:04 PM
It's quite possible (even likely) that Spelius has helped keep Beloit in the MWL to this point, but even he can only prolong things for so long. Beloit's facilities have been arguably below standard for a couple of decades. As long as there have been occasional plans floated for new facilities in Beloit, there has been some rationale for patience. I'm not sure anyone is even pretending anymore that they may have a plan for a new ballpark in place any time soon. I've also heard Spelius' time as MWL president could be nearing an end (then again, I've been hearing that for at least a couple of years).

nowheresville
08-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Every once in a while you'll hear people in the stands in Beloit talk about Spelius and how the team will be safe as long as he is there. I don't think there's really any truth to it, and if the team was losing money, they'd be gone.

As far as where the Twins will go in 2013, I still think CR is the overwhelming favorite and I'd go about 80%. I just don't see the St. Paul talk as anymore than speculation without any backing facts. Although, if they are serious about that idea, Peoria could make the most sense, because I see that as the most likely MWL team to move.

One minor quibble, If the Twins don't end up in CR, Peoria wouldn't be the only other option in the West. Both Clinton and Burlington also up this year. I don't see either as very likely, since I'd guess the Twins would just go back to Beloit since they wouldn't be big upgrades.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
08-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Kernel's, Snappers. I like the originality, but wherever they end up can we at least have a good mascot?

Jim Crikket
08-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Kernel's, Snappers. I like the originality, but wherever they end up can we at least have a good mascot?

I'm not really a mascot expert, but I will say this much. The guy in the Kernels' "Mr Shucks" gear this year is really good. Very good at interacting with the kids and crowd in general and he's the best dancing mascot I've seen. When he gets on top of the dugout, he gets attention. I've heard he used to be an NBA team's mascot and this is his first year in CR. Gotta believe he'll be moving back up the mascot ladder, though.

minn55441
08-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated.