PDA

View Full Version : Parmelee Recalled; Gray Outrighted

Seth Stohs
08-29-2012, 12:53 PM
The Twins weren't going to wait until September 1 to add a bat. Chris Parmelee and his AAA domination have been recalled.

Jeff Gray was (finally?) outrighted to Rochester. He's off the 40 man roster, which means we assume he (like Blackburn and Nishioka) will most likely not return to the Twins this season.

jokin
08-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Which means Parmelee will be in the lineup as long as Span is out and then move right back to his familiar spot on the bench?

Boom Boom
08-29-2012, 01:05 PM
So why did we add Matt Carson to the 40-man again?

J-Dog Dungan
08-29-2012, 01:12 PM
We added Carson 1) Because I think he will be called up in September and 2) He seems to have stolen Ichiro's arm for RF.

stringer bell
08-29-2012, 01:14 PM
The Gray move does create another space on the 40-man. Vasquez, Slama and Hicks could possibly be added. I believe this is the best thing about Gray being outrighted.

Riverbrian
08-29-2012, 01:16 PM
They better play him... His time on the bench during his last cup of coffee was a crime.

jokin
08-29-2012, 01:21 PM
They better play him... His time on the bench during his last cup of coffee was a crime.

How many crimes are ever prosecuted RB? Gardy's already got Span's current bench seat reservation fitted for Parmelee's "battling tail" as soon as Span is ready to go.

Boom Boom
08-29-2012, 01:26 PM
We added Carson 1) Because I think he will be called up in September and 2) He seems to have stolen Ichiro's arm for RF.

I don't know, don't you think Arcia and Hicks probably need a look in September more than Carson? How many outfielders do the Twins need?

The situation looks the same to me, Span's hurt so the Twins need another position player. I don't think Parmelee just mastered playing the outfield in the last couple weeks. Why was it Carson last time and now it's Parmelee?

Riverbrian
08-29-2012, 01:45 PM

How many crimes are ever prosecuted RB? Gardy's already got Span's current bench seat reservation fitted for Parmelee's "battling tail" as soon as Span is ready to go.

Doesnt have to be that way... R o t a t I o n. G a r d y. R o t a t I o n.

Craig in MN
08-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Great News! Parmalee is recalled PRIOR to Sept 1. That means he's eligible for the playoff roster, right?

Seth Stohs
08-29-2012, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=J-Dog Dungan;50510]The situation looks the same to me, Span's hurt so the Twins need another position player. I don't think Parmelee just mastered playing the outfield in the last couple weeks. Why was it Carson last time and now it's Parmelee?

Parmelee hasn't play an inning in the outfield all year in Rochester. The situation was different 2 weeks ago... Parmelee was expected to primarily be a bench option, but he ended up starting because span was out for longer. Carson would not have been sent back to Rochester if not for Diamond throwing at Hamilton's head. At this point, Parmelee will likely play and he's only missing like 6 Rochester games instead of 22.

Mr. Ed
08-29-2012, 01:51 PM
The Gray move does create another space on the 40-man. Vasquez, Slama and Hicks could possibly be added. I believe this is the best thing about Gray being outrighted.

They'll have to make a decision on PJ Walters, too, who is still on the 60 day DL. That rehab time has to be over soon.

Mr. Ed
08-29-2012, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=J-Dog Dungan;50510]The situation looks the same to me, Span's hurt so the Twins need another position player. I don't think Parmelee just mastered playing the outfield in the last couple weeks. Why was it Carson last time and now it's Parmelee?

Parmelee hasn't play an inning in the outfield all year in Rochester. The situation was different 2 weeks ago... Parmelee was expected to primarily be a bench option, but he ended up starting because span was out for longer. Carson would not have been sent back to Rochester if not for Diamond throwing at Hamilton's head. At this point, Parmelee will likely play and he's only missing like 6 Rochester games instead of 22.

Magic # to be eliminated , according to standings I saw, is 2, so the Wings are not likely to get to the playoffs anyway.

Rosterman
08-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Capps needs to be added to the 60-day. Not sure why Parmelee came up, though...unless Morneau and Mauer are being traded tonight!

Danchat
08-29-2012, 02:06 PM
This is awesome....buying a Chris Parmelee jersey better be worth it!
Gray sucks and Parmelee rules. Hard believe this is such a good win-win situation!

Boom Boom
08-29-2012, 02:14 PM

I think you're quoting the wrong guy, Friend. That's my quote, and it sounds like J-Dog doesn't agree with me anyway. :p

I'm confused because the Twins now have exactly the same number of available outfielders on their roster as they did immediately before they added Carson to the 40-man and called him up. I don't see how there's suddenly more at-bats available for Parmelee now than there was two weeks ago.

OK, that's weird - I was quoting Seth and now it would appear I'm quoting myself.

Winston Smith
08-29-2012, 02:31 PM
It really doesn't matter what they do at this point.

GCTF
08-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Great News! Parmalee is recalled PRIOR to Sept 1. That means he's eligible for the playoff roster, right?

1000 Twins Daily points for this post. Kudoes.

nicksaviking
08-29-2012, 03:06 PM
I assume when Doumit is not catching he will be taking the extra outfield at-bats along with Matroianni, while Parmelee and Morneau rotate at 1B while also sharing DH duties with Mauer? The only time I see being cut is Matroianni's. I don't think Parmelee has any need to play the outfield this year unless Gardy feels like experimenting.

ashburyjohn
08-29-2012, 03:15 PM

How does the rotation set up? Do we have to worry about making sure a lefty is lined up at Yankee Stadium?

Rosterman
08-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Lots of Valencia and Liriano jerseys for sale at reduced prices at the Minnesota State Fair!

Seth Stohs
08-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Parmelee batting 7th tonight and starting in... Right Field...

jokin
08-29-2012, 03:36 PM

Shocker, the Twins certainly executed their backup plan flawlessly by getting Parmelee plenty of reps in Roc.

More importantly, how did Span's MRI go this morning? Is he still listed day to day, a DL candidate, or shut down for the year?

SweetOne69
08-29-2012, 03:38 PM
@ Jokin, No point in DL him when you can expand rosters in 3 days.

Ultima Ratio
08-29-2012, 03:39 PM

If Parmelle doesn't hit well in the majors this go round, will it be because he's playing out of position? I see this meme coming.

jokin
08-29-2012, 03:39 PM

You're right, I just wanted to illustrate the continued Twins flailing.

GCTF
08-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Lots of Valencia and Liriano jerseys for sale at reduced prices at the Minnesota State Fair!

I'll assume the Gray, Blackburn and Nishi jerseys were dispatched to a bottomless pit somewhere.

USAFChief
08-29-2012, 05:17 PM

Concur. Well played sir.

This entire website could stand a bit more humor, IMO.

mike wants wins
08-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Wait, he played ZERO games in Rochester in the OF, and now he is starting in the OF in the majors? That seems odd to me.

whatever54
08-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Part of the game is keeping your opponent guessing. Guessing about your competency or sanity might work.

TheLeviathan
08-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Lost in the excitement about Parmalee.....this move proves there may indeed be a god. Jeff Gray is finally gone off a major league roster.

Oxtung
08-29-2012, 10:49 PM

I'll assume the Gray, Blackburn and Nishi jerseys were dispatched to a bottomless pit somewhere.

I heard it was the bottom of the Shackleton Crater on the Moon. It is a place in permanent darkness so no person could ever see them from orbit. Any person wanting to retrieve one of these treasures would face the vacuum of space as well as temperatures of -300 Fahrenheit. On top of that the radiation environment is so severe it is highly doubtful any human could survive long enough to retrieve those abominations!

Riverbrian
08-30-2012, 12:30 AM

I heard it was the bottom of the Shackleton Crater on the Moon. It is a place in permanent darkness so no person could ever see them from orbit. Any person wanting to retrieve one of these treasures would face the vacuum of space as well as temperatures of -300 Fahrenheit. On top of that the radiation environment is so severe it is highly doubtful any human could survive long enough to retrieve those abominations!

I've been to the Shackleton Crater. Took the family on a nice road trip.

Monday we drove to Kansas City... Love Arthur Bryants Barbeque.
Tuesday thru the Ozarks to Fayettlevile... The Hillbilles are authentic in NW Arkansas.
Wednesday up to Yellowknife NWT... Was disappointed to find cutlery the regular color.
Thursday we drove to Buffalo... The family wanted authentic wings for supper.
Friday was the Shackleton Crater... Ron Davis Jerseys was what they had. We didnt buy any jerseys but we did pick up one of those space vacuums with HEPA filtration and an ergonomic handle.

It was a little chilly but we brought jackets... Got back to North Dakota on Saturday and it was colder.

righty8383
08-30-2012, 12:51 AM
I suppose wind chill isnt really a factor on the Shackleton Crator. That probably helps a little bit.

Shane Wahl
08-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Parmelee in RF is just not going to work. He is not good defensively, so first base is his best option. And I don't think that the distance between Parmelee and Morneau is huge at this point. And Morneau brings back a good-great starter.

Oxtung
08-30-2012, 01:12 AM

I've been to the Shackleton Crater. Took the family on a nice road trip.

Monday we drove to Kansas City... Love Arthur Bryants Barbeque.
Tuesday thru the Ozarks to Fayettlevile... The Hillbilles are authentic in NW Arkansas.
Wednesday up to Yellowknife NWT... Was disappointed to find cutlery the regular color.
Thursday we drove to Buffalo... The family wanted authentic wings for supper.
Friday was the Shackleton Crater... Ron Davis Jerseys was what they had. We didnt buy any jerseys but we did pick up one of those space vacuums with HEPA filtration and an ergonomic handle.

It was a little chilly but we brought jackets... Got back to North Dakota on Saturday and it was colder.

I sure hope you did some study on the water-ice that is thought to be there! I'm looking forward to your research papers!!

I suppose wind chill isn't really a factor on the Shackleton Crator. That probably helps a little bit.

hahaha...good one!

jokin
08-30-2012, 01:14 AM
1) Parmelee in RF is just not going to work. He is not good defensively, so first base is his best option. And I don't think that the distance between Parmelee and Morneau is huge at this point. 2)And Morneau brings back a good-great starter.

1) Agreed about Parmelee's defense, it hasn't been too good at 1B, for that matter.

2) Great, now who is that, exactly?

USAFChief
08-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Parmelee in RF is just not going to work. He is not good defensively, so first base is his best option. And I don't think that the distance between Parmelee and Morneau is huge at this point. And Morneau brings back a good-great starter.

People need to relax about corner OF defense in general. While it's certainly better to have good defensive outfielders everywhere, the cost of a poor corner OF is small enough not to worry much about. Boston won two world series with Manny Ramirez in LF. The Twins won 90+ games with Delmon Young in LF. Teams have stashed poor outfielders in left or right for 150 years. It ain't that big a deal. A poor SS costs you. Often. A poor corner OFer doesn't get to a couple balls a month, tops. Big friggin deal.

Parmelee in right probably isn't ideal (though most of us have seen him there much), but it's not worth fretting about unless/until 1b is open.

jay
08-30-2012, 03:22 AM
Jeff Gray was (finally?) outrighted to Rochester. He's off the 40 man roster, which means we assume he (like Blackburn and Nishioka) will most likely not return to the Twins this season.

And the Twins Daily masses rejoiced in glee.

John Bonnes
08-30-2012, 06:57 AM
The Twins weren't going to wait until September 1 to add a bat. Chris Parmelee and his AAA domination have been recalled.

The timing on this is the interesting part. If the goal was to add Parmelee, one would think they could wait three more days.It seems like the goal was to outright Gray, meaning it was to open up a spot on the 40 man....

So who are the three Sept callups not on the 40 man?

Blackjack
08-30-2012, 07:00 AM
Now that Grey is gone, who going to be the next 'most hated Twin' on this board??

Brock Beauchamp
08-30-2012, 07:01 AM

People need to relax about corner OF defense in general. While it's certainly better to have good defensive outfielders everywhere, the cost of a poor corner OF is small enough not to worry much about. Boston won two world series with Manny Ramirez in LF. The Twins won 90+ games with Delmon Young in LF. Teams have stashed poor outfielders in left or right for 150 years. It ain't that big a deal. A poor SS costs you. Often. A poor corner OFer doesn't get to a couple balls a month, tops. Big friggin deal.

Parmelee in right probably isn't ideal (though most of us have seen him there much), but it's not worth fretting about unless/until 1b is open.

Especially in the short term. By all accounts, Parmelee won't be in RF for more than a few months, one season tops in a season where the Twins probably won't be very good anyway. After that, he moves to first base as one of Hicks/Arcia is called up.

On the other hand, the Twins need to find out whether Parmelee is a major league hitter before Justin Morneau leaves.

snepp
08-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Now that Grey is gone, who going to be the next 'most hated Twin' on this board??

Butera is still here.

Riverbrian
08-30-2012, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=Shane Wahl;50755]Parmelee in RF is just not going to work. He is not good defensively, so first base is his best option. And I don't think that the distance between Parmelee and Morneau is huge at this point. And Morneau brings back a good-great starter.

It doesn't matter this year. Just get the kid some playing time. If he hasn't played much OF in AAA. Get him some work up here.

As long as Morneau, Mauer, Doumit are on the team. He will need his OF glove.

As for corner defense in General... Depends on your context... If you can just simply out bash your lack of OF range. You can play Adam Dunn in CF and Adam Dunn like fielders in Left and Right. You might get away with it.

I believe you can absorp one range challenged OF'er... You put two out there... You will get nailed by the big inning when it doesn't have to happen...

A couple balls a month Chief??? My math is different and each occurrence is extra bases.

Pitcher ERA's will rise and stat guys will be calling for the heads of pitchers on Twins Daily because the numbers just don't look that Good. OF range is big. It isn't just the balls caught. It's the ball cut off. Its a pitcher fist pump when he needs it... It's momentum.... It shouldn't be downplayed and it happens more often than you are quoting.

greengoblinrulz
08-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Id love to hear an explanation on why Parm wasnt playing ANY OF in ROC.
Its like last year when they called up Tosoni to play LF when he had played something like 10 career gms in LF. Sent back to AAA, he played RF/CF was called back up & played LF again. Strange how they do things.
Also, why isnt Dozier playing any 2B in ROC as that is what he'll play if recalled.

Shane Wahl
08-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Id love to hear an explanation on why Parm wasnt playing ANY OF in ROC.
Its like last year when they called up Tosoni to play LF when he had played something like 10 career gms in LF. Sent back to AAA, he played RF/CF was called back up & played LF again. Strange how they do things.
Also, why isnt Dozier playing any 2B in ROC as that is what he'll play if recalled.

I agree about this odd tendency. I don't think it should be downplayed (lack of range in the OF matters!). What also shouldn't be downplayed is the effect switching positions suddenly when players are called up can have on that players performance both in the field and at the plate. Benson was also in LF some last year in September. I am sure CLETE THOMAS was too important for the Rochester lineup and the Twins future to have Parmelee in the OF!

And I agree about Dozier. It seems like his chance for the Twins is going to be at 2B. And that's fine. But it would be nice for him to get a sense of that by being moved there while in Rochester. I don't get it. The Twins DO NOT have a long-term lock at EITHER MI position, so why force the SS issue with Dozier instead of having him fill the other hole (especially when Florimon, Escobar, and even Carroll are better at SS!)?

drjim
08-30-2012, 05:01 PM

The timing on this is the interesting part. If the goal was to add Parmelee, one would think they could wait three more days.It seems like the goal was to outright Gray, meaning it was to open up a spot on the 40 man....

So who are the three Sept callups not on the 40 man?

Timing actually makes a lot of sense. Rochester was just eliminated from the playoffs so it doesn't matter that they lose Parmelee, and they are 2 days from September 1 so they won't be able to blow out the bullpen, so no need for Gray to eat any innings between now and then.

3 callups: I would think Slama for sure, probably Vasquez to make Diamond's start, and a sleeper in Hicks now that Span is on the DL.

jokin
08-30-2012, 05:18 PM

Shocker, the Twins certainly executed their backup plan flawlessly by getting Parmelee plenty of reps in Roc.

More importantly, how did Span's MRI go this morning? Is he still listed day to day, a DL candidate, or shut down for the year?

Originally Posted by SweetOne69 http://twinsdaily.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php?p=50573#post50573) @ Jokin, No point in DL him when you can expand rosters in 3 days.

When it comes to the Twins Org....You just can't make up the comedic relief throw-away lines or-out-theatre-of-the-absurd the absurdists in residence.