PDA

View Full Version : The Gardenhire Apocolypse

Bark's Lounge
08-25-2012, 07:10 PM
A lot has been said on the site about wanting Gardenhire to be fired because he has lost his edge or worse things, also, a lot has been said about how he should retain his managerial position because the Twins roster is not his fault and the blame should fall on the Front Office.

The scenario is this....

Gardenhire is fired at the conclusion of this season.

Who do you want to get the managerial job and make the difference that Gardenhire could not procure?
(If you are a Gardenhire supporter and want him to stay - give your 2nd choice)

P.S. Please leave Terry Ryan out of this.... that is for a thread you can start. Also, if someone already threw out a similar kind of thread, I apologize, I did not want to dig through the archives.

Seth Stohs
08-25-2012, 07:20 PM
As of right now, I'd say Dave Martinez...

1.) comes from the Joe Maddon school in Tampa, but he's coached and been very well respected since his playing days.

2.) He had a long and solid, productive career despite rarely being a full-time player. Like Gardy, he understands how difficult this game is and that players make mistakes and errors and such.

3.) I want a first-time manager because I don't like retreads.

John Bonnes
08-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Tony LaRussa

Seth Stohs
08-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Tony LaRussa

That would be interesting... Because it would be the one choice that I think might make me consider not being a Twins fan anymore.

greengoblinrulz
08-25-2012, 07:25 PM

1.) comes from the Joe Maddon school in Tampa, but he's coached and been very well respected since his playing days.

2.) He had a long and solid, productive career despite rarely being a full-time player. Like Gardy, he understands how difficult this game is and that players make mistakes and errors and such.

Excellent choice.....love the way Tampa/Maddon play the game & get the most out of their players.

Not that Gardy wouldnt be picked up right away as he is a respected manager, but even Joe Torre was let go. There comes a time when a change of scenery is needed as players tune out a guy. Gardy has been here 20yrs with 10 as a mgr. I would love a new guy in charge.
IF Gardy stays....his contract is up after nxt yr so he either needs to be extended/let go this offseason IMO...then the changes to the coaching staff for that same change of scenery/new eyes approach

Thrylos
08-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Tony LaRussa

That would be interesting... Because it would be the one choice that I think might make me consider not being a Twins fan anymore.

Nothing will make me not being a Twins' fan, but if they get Tony LaRussa, I would feel the same way I felt when the Vikings got what's his face to quarterback them.

John Bonnes
08-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Tony LaRussa

Yeah, god knows you wouldn't want the 3rd winningest manager of all time, a guy whose teams have finished 350+ games over .500 and has won three World Series as you favorite team's manager.

But just to throw out another name, how about Ken Macha? Four very good years coaching the A's and a couple of decent years overseeing the Brewers.

greengoblinrulz
08-25-2012, 07:32 PM
LaRussa----may be a prick, but 3 world series appearances in last 8 yrs makes gardy look little league.
Same with 'whats his name'.....take NFC championship over what the purple have now/before

Winston Smith
08-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Mike Redmond would be interesting. Not sure good but interesting.

Bark's Lounge
08-25-2012, 07:48 PM
1. Seth - Dave Martinez would be one of the best choices.
2. John - LaRussa, Can't go wrong with that, but I am assuming he is done and not coming back. I agree with Seth in the wanting a manager that is not a retread... but LaRussa would be the exception to the rule.
3. Seth - Why no love for LaRussa?
4. Winston Smith - Your choice is my choice... why? Not too sure, but that is the one I would like to see.

JB_Iowa
08-25-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm not a LaRussa hater like some of you but I'd prefer someone more youthful than LaRussa.

I'd also like someone from outside the Twins organization and without many ties to people in the organization.

Martinez would work for me but I'm sure that there are others as well -- I'd just like them to think a little creatively instead of going with someone they "know well".

Thrylos
08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
For the ones who do not remember (or were not alive then) :

Tony LaRussa was the manager of the steroid cheat Oakland A's who stole a few AL West titles from the Twins. As a Twins' fan I used to hate everything about those As, including LaRussa, ever before the cheating became apparent.

crarko
08-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Gene Glynn, and his coaching staff.

roger
08-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Gene Glynn, and his coaching staff.

+1. As for those who don't want someone from within the organization, Glynn is new to the organization this year. The people in Rochester, such as Jim Mandelaro, speak very highly of Glynn as a manager and person. Huge improvement over Tom Nieto who was hated there. Has a ton of coaching experience with several good organizations.

Have wathced a lot of Rochester games this year and he has a mediocre team playing very well. Also has a local tie as he is originally from Minnesota.

Seth Stohs
08-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Well, if Mandelaro approves of Glynn... When Glynn was hired, it was known that he was a very good person and wonderful with the media. I don't know if "wonderful with the media" is one of the top criteria I'd be looking for. What I do like about Glynn, however, is his background as an advanced scout, and his ability to watch other players and know if they're ready to help a big league club. That's why I think he's great for Rochester, and who knows, maybe with the Twins. Seems like a perfect bench coach.

And, Glynn fits my "no retreads" criteria!

beckmt
08-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Gene Glynn - he has done a great job with what he was given in AAA

one_eyed_jack
08-25-2012, 09:05 PM
I became intrigued by Ken Oberkfell as a possible Gardy replacement after reading this article earlier this year:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120205&content_id=26582426&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Jose Oquendo is another guy I'd consider.

I don't want any retreads, and I don't want to promote from within. It feels like a certain staleness has set over this organization, and it's time for some fresh ideas and approaches.

Top Gun
08-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I like Redmond, but TLR would be great, just what the team needs.

Highabove
08-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Scotty Ulger

Case Closed

minn55441
08-26-2012, 08:03 AM
How realistic would it be fore TR to sit down with Gardy at the end of the season and ask him replace all of his coaching staff? Two consecutive 100 loss (give or take a few) seasons call for some consequences. If faced with the choice of everyone going or Gardy sticking around with an entire new staff, I think he would decide to just end it.

I have always been a big Gardy supporter and would hate to see him leave, but we have all seen that a change is needed at this point. I think Gardy is loyal to a fault and would rather fall on the sword himself than start replacing the guys that have been with him since the beginning.

oldguy10
08-26-2012, 08:47 AM
I believe that what the Pohlads will do is simply bring up the entire Rochester managerial staff but will that work? One poster at least thinks Glynn is terrific so it might. I would rather see them get an entire management crew from some other MLB organization that really knows what they are doing. One example for sure is Tampa Bay. What other organization?

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Tom Kelly

Fire Dan Gladden
08-26-2012, 09:05 AM
As good as LaRussa has been,I don't think he would be a good fit here. Like Torre, he is a better manager of high end players, his strength does not lie in managing youth and rebuilding. I think the Twins would want to go young and new with the hopes of landing a Mike Scossia type coach. Red Dog would be an interesting flyer, especially if he brought in in experienced coaches to help him out.

Monkeypaws
08-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Francona

Rosterman
08-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Gene Glynn

add coaches Bobby Cuellar, Tom Brunansky, maybe Jake Mauer. Talk to Coomer and Gladden. Bring in Mike Redmond or Matthew LeCroy. I might keep Jerry White.

But then the Twins need to find a whole passel of coaches for the minors.

I seem them standing pat for a year...maybe jettisoning Gardy and Anderson late-2013 if things don't change and giving the Rochester guys a look.

Or buyout Ozzie's contract from Florida!

mike wants wins
08-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Bo Porter:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/qa-bo-porter-future-big-league-manager/

Anyone learning from Joe Madden.

mnfireman
08-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Agreed on Gene Glynn and staff, especially if the rave reviews of Cuellar and Brunansky coaching abilities are true and can lead to success at the major league level. As far as restocking the minor league coaching staffs, players are still retiring every year, many of whom are wanting to begin a coaching career.

PeanutsFromHeaven
08-26-2012, 10:36 AM
I tend to think that managers likely don't make much difference to the overall performance of a team, their presence in the clubhouse and with the guys involved is crucial (see Valentine, Bobby). Gardy has been great with a gang of guys who came up with him on staff and nurtured them into his way of doing things. I think he can still do it but as clubhouse culture changes (see Valencia, Danny), they may need another similar hand. Like Gene Glynne rather than someone from outside the organization)

OR: Since Earl Weaver's only 82 we could ask him to pop in and pull a Jack McKeon (we'd even get to see him pull some classic tantrums)!

Riverbrian
08-26-2012, 12:06 PM
I tend to place more faith in on the field leadership amongst your ball players than faith in a manager changing a culture.

Granted it is just my personal belief but I believe winning momentum comes from the big hit, the extra base taken and the great defensive play.

I believe losing montentum comes from coasting into the base, letting balls drop in front of you, botched run downs and double plays, errors along with big innings against you and a general lack of believing in your team because the baseball you are playing is uninspired.

A player busting his ass, leads to more players busting their asses and it will carry on through the team and result in wins. Even on a team that appears to be weaker on paper.

A manager may be able to get a fire lit under a player or two but the entire team is very hard to do. A Manager who has been with a club a long time... in my opinion... will have a much harder time lighting those fires when dealing with vets who have been through it and heard it all.

It's pointless to blame the manager... It's the players and always will be.

If we have to make a change in Managers... And I think we should just for a new start at momentum (that will still have to come from the players).

I would like a Manager who is very aggressive. I can't give you any names but I'd like someone like Scioscia or Madden.

If you want to jump start a team, you have a better chance if you provide some voltage, instead of trying to win games through attrition or something. Give me a manager who let the boys run on the bases and understands the need for D. Someone who will attack teams aggressively and get pissed at players when the go through the motions.

With that said... Gardy has been great and he is great... It's time for a change... And Gardy deserves thanks and a nice gold parachute.

Bark's Lounge
08-26-2012, 03:15 PM
If Gardenhire keeps his job it will not bother me and if Gardenhire gets fired it will not bother me - but I think a change would be exciting for the fan base and it would be interesting to see what some new blood could bring to the table. I liked what the Cards and Sux did by bringing in a former player who was well respected with a very good baseball IQ. For me Red-Dog fits that bill.

greengoblinrulz
08-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Just noticed that quote & had to chuckle because of all the disagreements we've had over AAA retreads (which I hate).:)

Thrylos
08-26-2012, 03:53 PM
I believe that what the Pohlads will do is simply bring up the entire Rochester managerial staff but will that work?

They will need to add to that. Minor league staff is 3 people: Manager, Pitching Coach, Hitting Coach. In Rochester the manager serves as the 3rd base coach as well. Bruno and Cuellar sit on the bench and usually a player on the DL serves as the first base coach. So, in addition to those 3, you would need 4 more positions at least:

- 1B coach
- 3B coach
- Bench coach
- Bullpen coach

Willihammer
08-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Earl Weaver

glunn
08-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I like the idea of someone from the Tampa Bay organization.

crarko
08-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Earl Weaver

Maybe they can hire a medium and channel Billy Martin from beyond the grave.

Willihammer
08-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Trivial fact: Dave Boswell, who fought Billy in the alley behind a Detroit bar in 1969 (leading to Martin's termination), pitched for Earl Weaver in 1971

Bark's Lounge
08-26-2012, 06:20 PM
When the White Sux announced Robin Ventura as their manager, it was somewhat out of Right Field and a surprise. What if Gardy is fired and the Twins pull a shocker of their own, and name Kent Hrbek Manager... what would happen?

crarko
08-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Joe Mauer will say "It's The Big Hrbowski."

lecroy24fan
08-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Matthew LeCroy

Pius Jefferson
08-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Tom Prince

RIP BYTO
08-26-2012, 09:26 PM
I am too lazy to look it up, but when was the last time a team with consecutive 99+ loss seasons retained their entire coaching staff?

The reason I ask is that I believe the Twins will retain every member of the coaching staff this year.

Bark's Lounge
08-26-2012, 09:39 PM
I am too lazy to look it up, but when was the last time a team with consecutive 99+ loss seasons retained their entire coaching staff?

The reason I ask is that I believe the Twins will retain every member of the coaching staff this year.

I don't know much about gambling, but if you were to place a wager on your prediction and win, I think you still end up in the red.

Bark's Lounge
08-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Not that this would be an option for the Twins, but when Greg Maddux is ready to become a coach (if ever) he would be an outstanding candidate for being a manager. He seems to be the kind of guy you take a flyer on without any coaching experience. Maybe Sveum or Gonzalez needs to be looking over their shoulders at this possibility. I Think the Cubs are set in their framework and do not view Sveum as having a disappointing year as manager as Theo and his gang expected this kind of season. ATL on the other hand, if they choke again down the stretch, I could see Maddux defenitely being the replacement to Gonzalez. You would think that would get their fan base ramped up also... just a thought.

Pius Jefferson
08-27-2012, 12:37 AM
I'm not sure in the modern era a manager's survived having two 99 loss seasons consecutively, let alone an entire coaching staff.

Just a guess on which guesses are likely to be let go or re-assigned.

1) Vavra-Bruno is waiting in the wings
2) Liddle
3) Ullger
4) White
5) Anderson-Might be most likely to find another coaching job.

MightyMpls
08-27-2012, 12:56 AM

That is all I would need to see to cancel my 40 game season ticket plan. Of course they won't tell us that before they ask for the renewal deposit.

MightyMpls
08-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Is it too late to throw my hat in the ring that, assuming the don't lose 100 games, that everyone will be brought back next year?

jctwins
08-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Jeff Gray, if that's what it takes to get him off the mound.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-27-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm not sure in the modern era a manager's survived having two 99 loss seasons consecutively, let alone an entire coaching staff.

2) Liddle
3) Ullger
4) White
Why the hell would they fire Vavra? And why is he at the top of the list? Offense hasn't exactly been an issue for the Twins this year, and he is certainly due some of the accolades for Revere and Plouffe's years.

Firing Liddle, Ullger or White really doesn't do a whole lot, but I guess if they want to use it to "make a statement" they can. Also, I'm not sure its wise to dump a good pitching coach in Anderson.

My guess is one or two of White/Liddle/Ullger will be let go just as an excuse to bring in a little bit of new blood.

jctwins
08-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Gone:

And shockwaves run through the organization.

drbob524
08-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Billy Heywood. But seriously, I think Redmond would be great.

jctwins
08-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Can someone please justify the obsession with Redmond other than the fact that we know his name?

ashburyjohn
08-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Offense hasn't exactly been an issue for the Twins this year

The team is in the bottom half of the league in runs scored per game. It's the starting pitching that has the team on a pace for around 100 losses; but even if the pitching staff had been league-average, we'd be looking at a below-.500 team with the offense that's currently in place.

Whether that's cause for bringing Bruno into the coaching mix, or a reflection of the caliber of talent in the 7-8-9 slots of the lineup of most games which Terry Ryan gave them to work with, or tactical choices like starting Butera very much instead of getting another bat in there, isn't my point. But offense has definitely been an issue.

StormJH1
08-27-2012, 01:08 PM

2) Liddle
3) Ullger
4) White

I worry a little bit about the universal man love for Tom Brunansky when the primary motivation for that seems to be that his guys do better in AAA than they are able to do in the bigs (Parmelee). But it's also further proof of this organization's obsession with promoting from within, and the fans certainly play into that when they toss around names of former Twins fan favorites. Aside from the bizarre re-hiring of Terry Ryan (whose own failures planted many of the seeds for Bill Smith to only mess things up more dramatically), hiring and retaining Gardy for so long is as much about holding onto the Tom Kelly era, as opposed to honestly evaluating if he's the best guy to turn things around.

Not that I'm saying I'd protest on Target Plaza if they brought Gardy back...I think one more year of this should do the trick. But if they completely clean house EXCEPT for Gardy's buddy Anderson...when arguably it was the PITCHING that got us in this mess more than anything else, then you know they're just acquiescing to Gardy's loyalty.

I blame the talent deficit, not the coaches, for the state of the Twins, but this whole organization is developing a "country club"-type vibe, and I don't like it.

JB_Iowa
08-27-2012, 01:38 PM

Can someone please justify the obsession with Redmond other than the fact that we know his name?

I think people remember Redmond's personality and hustle with fondness. Also the skills he developed as a catcher should serve him well as a manager and I do think that he will manage in the bigs some day.

Personally I think its to soon for Redmond -- not sure it would be a good idea for him to try to manage players with whom he played (and whom he played behind).

JB_Iowa
08-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Aside from the bizarre re-hiring of Terry Ryan (whose own failures planted many of the seeds for Bill Smith to only mess things up more dramatically), hiring and retaining Gardy for so long is as much about holding onto the Tom Kelly era, as opposed to honestly evaluating if he's the best guy to turn things around.

I know this thread is supposed to be about Gardenhire not Ryan but I want to address the "bizarre" re-hiring statement. Although I was disappointed in it, I didn't see the re-hiring of Ryan as an interim GM as bizarre. It would have made perfect sense to bring him back for a year and to use that time to hire a GM from outside the organization. Alternatively, it would make sense if he were willing to adopt a "gunslinger" role in which he "played the villain" and did the evaluation, firing, hiring and re-organization that this franchise needs.

Alas, I don't think either of those things are happening. We haven't had any indication that he intends to make substantial changes in the way this organization runs (and in who runs it) and we haven't seen any indication that he intends to step down. Instead, it seems as though he just intends to operate as GM while retaining the "interim" title.

That may change in the next few months. He may make some substantial changes in the organization. Or, he may step down as interim GM and they might announce a successor. I guess we'll see at the end of the season -- and at least then we'll know if the rehiring was truly bizarre.

Mr. Ed
08-27-2012, 02:39 PM
117 wins in the past 300 games, as tweeted by Aaron Gleeman

.390 winning %

Shouldn't the coaching staff be held responsible?

Coach J
08-27-2012, 03:12 PM

I think people remember Redmond's personality and hustle with fondness. Also the skills he developed as a catcher should serve him well as a manager and I do think that he will manage in the bigs some day.

Personally I think its to soon for Redmond -- not sure it would be a good idea for him to try to manage players with whom he played (and whom he played behind).

I think you are right.. Mike Redmond was very highly thought of in the Twins organization. His attitude, toughness, are charmisma would all serve him well as a big league manager. I disagree with the point you make about him not managing players he played behind. How good you are as a player often has little to do with how good of coach and teacher you are. In fact, the best athletes that have ever played in sports have made horrible coaches or front office people...( Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson, Kevin Mchale) On the other hand, some of the best coaches were not that good of players. Our current manager didn't have much of a big league career.. I would say he has been pretty successful. It might be a little too soon for Red to become a big league manager, but I don't think he would have any trouble getting the players respect just because he didn't play every day.

Bark's Lounge
08-27-2012, 04:08 PM

JB_Iowa - I agree with your Redmond assessment almost 100%, but if the Twins do indeed decide to fire Gardenhire, and they pass on Redmond for the reasons you listed - I would lament the lost opportunity to pick up a young, up and coming manager who seems like a very good fit because of his ties and familiarity with this organization. (Comparison - Mike Matheny/SL Cardinals)

Although I know the term the "Twins Way" makes some sick to their stomach - I think Red-Dog would bring his own personality and style to this club and though he may be inexperienced, he might be the perfect manager for the upcoming influx of young players that will probably be on this roster. Because of being new to managing, Redmond probably has not become jaded as of yet and he might give the younger players time to grow, make their mistakes, without them having to fear they may end up in a permanent doghouse. Fighting to get out of that doghouse and at the same time questioning their own confidence is not a good developmental route to take, which these days seems to be the case sometimes.

As for his former teammates - I am pretty sure he was a beloved member and leader of the teams he played on with the Twins. I cannot see a scenario where Mauer or Morneau would not be enthused to play for Redmond. They actually might be rejuvenated with this change. Even though Redmond kept things loose in the clubhouse and played his pranks, Redmond doesn't strike me to be a guy who takes (Bleep) from players and will put them in their rightful place.

If Gardy is fired or resigns (which I doubt will happen) - the whole coaching staff needs to be cut also. Some of the coaches have had some great successes and I commend that, but if you make the change - it has to be absolute. Ryan and Redmond can then jointly put a new staff together, hoping it can bring a breathe of fresh air and future success into the organization.

Will that happen? Only time will tell.

crarko
08-27-2012, 04:14 PM
And who knows, maybe Red Dog would do naked post-game interviews. That would shake up those Fox Sports North Girls.

Pius Jefferson
08-27-2012, 04:24 PM

2) Liddle
3) Ullger
4) White
Why the hell would they fire Vavra? And why is he at the top of the list? Offense hasn't exactly been an issue for the Twins this year, and he is certainly due some of the accolades for Revere and Plouffe's years.

Firing Liddle, Ullger or White really doesn't do a whole lot, but I guess if they want to use it to "make a statement" they can. Also, I'm not sure its wise to dump a good pitching coach in Anderson.

My guess is one or two of White/Liddle/Ullger will be let go just as an excuse to bring in a little bit of new blood.

I've just heard a couple of interviews with TR talking about the offense not being consistent enough. When the GM talks about inconsistencies than I lean towards the coach being the scapegoat.

Bark's Lounge
08-27-2012, 04:31 PM
And who knows, maybe Red Dog would do naked post-game interviews. That would shake up those Fox Sports North Girls.

That's actually the only reason I want Redmond as our next manager.:)

Thrylos
08-27-2012, 07:13 PM

I think you are right.. Mike Redmond was very highly thought of in the Twins organization. His attitude, toughness, are charmisma would all serve him well as a big league manager. I disagree with the point you make about him not managing players he played behind. How good you are as a player often has little to do with how good of coach and teacher you are. In fact, the best athletes that have ever played in sports have made horrible coaches or front office people...( Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson, Kevin Mchale) On the other hand, some of the best coaches were not that good of players. Our current manager didn't have much of a big league career.. I would say he has been pretty successful. It might be a little too soon for Red to become a big league manager, but I don't think he would have any trouble getting the players respect just because he didn't play every day.

Not sure how the Twins-Redmond relationship is these days

Fact (and not that much publicized) : Redmond was offered a coaching position in the Twins' organization after his last season with the Twins that would have led to a managerial track in the minors. He declined because he thought he had something left in the tank and wanted another MLB paycheck so he went and signing with a Division rival (and sucked)