PDA

View Full Version : Twins recall Waldrop, option Carson

Parker Hageman
08-24-2012, 01:02 AM
The Twins announce that they have recalled right-handed reliever Kyle Waldrop from Rochester and will be sending outfielder Matt Carson to AAA.

Shane Wahl
08-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Well, I like Carson, but clearly the bullpen is in a pickle at the moment.

Pius Jefferson
08-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Bullpen needs help and Rochester looks like they could use help in the starting lineup.

wavedog
08-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Understandable move. Last night was the first time I watched Carson play and I thought he was OK. He had some good at bats and made a nice throw to get Soto out at third. Not a long term answer but servicable.

Seth Stohs
08-24-2012, 06:54 AM
All because Diamond decided to throw at Hamilton's head instead of into his ribs or back... (or Gardy told him to throw at Hamilton's head, however you want to think of it.)

I think Carson did a nice job and showed that he can be a solid MLB 5th OF/bench bat. He had a nice showing, for sure. With Span and Revere back and healthy thought, the move makes sense.

Fire Dan Gladden
08-24-2012, 07:40 AM
All because Diamond decided to throw at Hamilton's head instead of into his ribs or back... (or Gardy told him to throw at Hamilton's head, however you want to think of it.)

I think Carson did a nice job and showed that he can be a solid MLB 5th OF/bench bat. He had a nice showing, for sure. With Span and Revere back and healthy thought, the move makes sense.

That the pitch was up did not matter. He could have hit Hamilton in the thigh and he still would have been tossed. This is a major joke in baseball, everybody knows it. I was watching the game through the Rangers TV feed last night, even their announcers were a little disgusted that Diamond and Gardy were tossed. They knew a pitch was coming at Hamilton, but they ripped the umps for not letting the players police themselves.

Riverbrian
08-24-2012, 08:26 AM
He played well... I'm not sure how many more chances he will get but I'm sure Gardy got a positive look at him as a ballplayer. He played well enough to stick. There was just no way he was gonna no matter what he did.

I feel bad for him. He's gonna end up a two cup of coffee guy.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
08-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Both Span and Revere could be traded in the offseason since Carson seems like he could be an interim. An Outfield of Mastroianni, Willingham, and Carson with Parmelee as the 4th isn't a huge dropoff. Clears the way for Hicks and Arcia early on. Arcia might be ready at the start of next season, but I am sure the Twins won't push him to the majors to avoid a possible setback.

Brock Beauchamp
08-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Both Span and Revere could be traded in the offseason since Carson seems like he could be an interim. An Outfield of Mastroianni, Willingham, and Carson with Parmelee as the 4th isn't a huge dropoff. Clears the way for Hicks and Arcia early on. Arcia might be ready at the start of next season, but I am sure the Twins won't push him to the majors to avoid a possible setback.

Why on earth would you play Carson in front of Parmelee?

Mauerzy4Prez
08-24-2012, 08:35 AM

That the pitch was up did not matter. He could have hit Hamilton in the thigh and he still would have been tossed. This is a major joke in baseball, everybody knows it. I was watching the game through the Rangers TV feed last night, even their announcers were a little disgusted that Diamond and Gardy were tossed. They knew a pitch was coming at Hamilton, but they ripped the umps for not letting the players police themselves.

Here is my take on the circus of a game last night... and yes I know this has nothing to do with Carson. I really don't think Diamond was trying to hit Hamilton in the head. Nobody in their right mind would go out and plunk a guy there, and no manager would tell their SP to do that either. IMO, two things happened there.
1) Hamilton knew it was coming on the first pitch, and was ready to avoid the pitch. The path of the ball if he had not moved, would have hit him probably right about where Mauer got hit. Josh leaned forward, and naturally it went by the back of his head.
2) Intentionally hitting a batter is MUCH more difficult than it seems. The term "easier said than done" truly does apply in this situation. I strongly believe Diamond was trying to aim that pitch too much (as he should have), and just missed.

Either way, with the new rules in baseball, anything that the umpire views as an intentional "beaning" is an automatic ejection. I am not quite sure why he didn't do the same for Oswalt, but regardless, the ump had no choice but to throw Diamond out. I didn't see the Texas broadcast, I was watching the Twins. Coom basically said that he knows that umpire on a personal level, and was very confident that even the umpire probably didn't like throwing out Diamond. He had to do it, and that is that. Whether or not people agree with me is neither here nor there, this is just what I heard and took away from what I saw in the game.

diehardtwinsfan
08-24-2012, 09:19 AM
I would think that by opening those 40 man spots the Twins could have decided to give Slama a chance for a month... What does he have to do to get one? He's certainly not going to be any worse than Jeff Gray at this point.