PDA

View Full Version : Great Notes in newest BA

Jeremy Nygaard
08-23-2012, 08:46 AM
You may recall the story earlier this month about the Diamondbacks signing an undrafted high schooler for $400K. It counted against their cap, some opined that they broke the rules (they didn't). The gem in the article was saying the move wasn't without precedence: The Twins signed Bobby Kielty for $500K after going undrafted in 1999, but blowing up in the Cape Cod League.

They compare all the CFs in the Eastern League and Aaron Hicks compares favorably to most. Two plus tools (fielding and arm) to average tools (hit and run). His power is considered below average. Only Jake Marisnick (TOR) is younger and has more plus tools.

AJ Pierzynski thinks that the Twins got a good big-league player in Eduardo Escobar "if he's given an opportunity".

Phil Miller wrote about Eddie Rosario. The morale: a baseball hurt Eddie's face. Eddie is swinging the bat like he wants to hurt baseballs.

BA reviews the top prospects for USA Baseball and the Cape. I'll give you a couple names to remember as the Twins think about the 2013 draft:

Obviously Mark Appel is going to be rated highly, but there are other guys the Twins will consider.

Ryne Stanek, Arkansas, RHP. Stanek and Kevin Gausman (drafted as a sophomore-eligible) were the two best pitchers in that class. Stanek missed being draft eligible by a week. He has a mid-90s fastball, a mid-80s slider and the ability to be a No. 1 pitcher.

Sean Manaea, Indiana St, LHP. Big dude (6-5, 215) who is still filling out, can touch the high-90s. If you asked me right now who I think the Twins take (and it's a long ways away), I'd say Manaea.

For you local prep fans, Red Wing has a kid named Ryan Boldt, LH OF who made the U-18 National Team. (Perfect Game MVP and Top 50 draft prospect for next year, too.) Even though the Twins didn't take the locals in 2012, I'd still consider it probable they return to form in 2013. Boldt would be at the top of that list.

biggentleben
08-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Stanek scares me because he throws so many breaking pitches. He just screams future reliever and/or surgery guy to me.

J-Dog Dungan
08-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Wait a minute, AJ is being nice to someone? Call the presses! The angel of god must have entered him!