PDA

View Full Version : Article: Independent Thinking

Seth Stohs
08-23-2012, 03:17 AM
You can view the page at http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.php?953-Independent-Thinking

twinsnorth49
08-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Nice article Seth, guys like this are the epitome of the term "chasing the dream". Playing for peanuts and bouncing from small town to small town, living out of a gym bag, just in the hopes someone notices and gives them a shot. One of my favorite independent success stories in recent memory was Jeff Zimmerman of the Texas Rangers. He played for the Goldeyes in 1997 and dominated the league, enough for the Rangers to sign him as a free agent in 1998. Over the next three years he became one if their best arms, culminating in an All Star game appearance in 1999. Unfortunately injuries derailed his career but his story is still one that gives all of these types of players the hope to keep playing.

BeefMaster
08-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Seth, you can't mention "independent league Kansas City" and not point out that they're called the "T-Bones", which George Costanza will agree is an excellent nickname.

J-Dog Dungan
08-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Is the guy you are talking about in the last paragraph the guy around which the movie "The Rookie" was based?

Seth Stohs
08-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Is the guy you are talking about in the last paragraph the guy around which the movie "The Rookie" was based?

No, that was Jim Morris... Here is the story on Chris Coste

http://www.amazon.com/The-33-Year-Old-Rookie-13-Year-Journey/dp/0345507037/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345735476&sr=8-1&keywords=33+year+old+rookie

DAM DC Twins Fans
08-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks Seth for a great article and a different type. Hopefully one or two will reach the show and realize their dream.

mike wants wins
08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
I too enjoyed this article quite a bit.

greengoblinrulz
08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
All but Sattler have legit possibilities to make the majors by maybe next yr

Seth Stohs
08-23-2012, 01:32 PM
All but Sattler have legit possibilities to make the majors by maybe next yr

And if not for the TJ surgery, the 98 mph is still intriguing. I guess that's my point. These guys are signed to fill roster spots somewhere in the minors, and they have all done that well. If they can get to the big leagues, its' a tremendous story.

clutterheart
08-23-2012, 05:08 PM
With the new draft rules restricted to 30 rounds i would guess that we will see more guys go to the independent leagues and these types of storries will be increasingly common.

Thrylos
08-23-2012, 05:35 PM
It is an interesting story. And traffic back and forth from the independents to affiliates baseball has increased it seems this season. Twins' very ex-own Luke Hughes was on his way to Independent ball after cut by the As before he signed with Toronto...

One thing I might disagree with:

they gave Colabello his first opportunity with an affiliated team at the age of 28. To say that he has proven he belongs would be an understatement

I don't think any 28-year old belongs to AA. But I like the Twins signing independent league star players better than signing washouts (like they did in the past and less this season) for Rochester. Colabello would look good in Rochester (but Burroughs for some reason has been ahead of him). And he might make it to the majors; Watkins did after all :)

old nurse
08-24-2012, 12:59 AM
It is an interesting story. And traffic back and forth from the independents to affiliates baseball has increased it seems this season. Twins' very ex-own Luke Hughes was on his way to Independent ball after cut by the As before he signed with Toronto...

One thing I might disagree with:

they gave Colabello his first opportunity with an affiliated team at the age of 28. To say that he has proven he belongs would be an understatement

I don't think any 28-year old belongs to AA. But I like the Twins signing independent league star players better than signing washouts (like they did in the past and less this season) for Rochester. Colabello would look good in Rochester (but Burroughs for some reason has been ahead of him). And he might make it to the majors; Watkins did after all :)
Some guy named Parmalee has been playing first for Rochester for the best part of the season. Seems there was this guy named Morneau at the major league level. Uninjured and paid a lot of money. Burroughs has been playing a little all over on the diamond. He probabbly could have played third base full time but there was this rising star named Valencia at third base. If Parmalee would have stuck at the major league level midseason, then Colabello would have moved up. If they figured out Valencia quicker, Romero would have moved up. At the start of the year they did not know what they had in either of these players for sure.

Seth Stohs
08-24-2012, 07:20 AM
Yeah, again, Colabello was signed as a "filler" of sorts, so I don't care about the age thing. Also, we're talking about a guy who, if he were to make it to the big leagues, would be a role player, a backup 1B and RH pinch hitter. I think he goes to Rochester next year, and if something breaks right for him, he could get to call himself "Big Leaguer" for the rest of his life. That's pretty cool! That's a pretty great story!