PDA

View Full Version : Article: Quick Hits: Pavano's injury, Hendriks recalled & Mastroianni to second?

Parker Hageman
08-22-2012, 12:47 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?948-Quick-Hits-Pavano-s-injury-Hendriks-recalled-Mastroianni-to-second

Winston Smith
08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
The Twins front office has started to circle the wagons after the Pavano thing. PR talking points will be flying all over to cover their arses!

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-22-2012, 08:38 AM
“He’s an emergency second baseman. He’s not as skilled; he would have a lot to work on at second base. I take all the throws with him, so you can tell your (readers) the manager’s out there taking all the throws when he’s fielding groundballs and it’s a work in progress. He’s an emergency infielder. He was an infielder and was moved to the outfield, and that’s because a lot of the balls ended up in the outfield anyway. That’s what happens.”

Basically what I have been trying to say for weeks now... the notion that the Blue Jays moved a capable 2nd baseman to the OF is/was laughable.

crarko
08-22-2012, 08:43 AM
ďHeís an emergency second baseman. Heís not as skilled; he would have a lot to work on at second base. I take all the throws with him, so you can tell your (readers) the managerís out there taking all the throws when heís fielding groundballs and itís a work in progress. Heís an emergency infielder. He was an infielder and was moved to the outfield, and thatís because a lot of the balls ended up in the outfield anyway. Thatís what happens.Ē

Basically what I have been trying to say for weeks now... the notion that the Blue Jays moved a capable 2nd baseman to the OF is/was laughable.

Yeah, that does explain a great deal. In that case either Dozier or Florimon should get some reps in at second.

Fire Dan Gladden
08-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Contrary to popular belief, it is possible that the team's medical staff did everything right and it was still missed.

Can't say that though as I could be labeled as a Twins homer...

diehardtwinsfan
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Contrary to popular belief, it is possible that the team's medical staff did everything right and it was still missed.

I don't think anyone is saying this is impossible. Medical staffs do make mistakes on every team. The problem with the Twins is that there seems to be A LOT of mistakes.... and some of them (like Wimmers, Neshek, and Gibson's TJ surgeries) have been very predictable.

Brock Beauchamp
08-22-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't think anyone is saying this is impossible. Medical staffs do make mistakes on every team. The problem with the Twins is that there seems to be A LOT of mistakes.... and some of them (like Wimmers, Neshek, and Gibson's TJ surgeries) have been very predictable.

As an outsider looking in (one who has virtually no knowledge of medicine), my biggest problem boils down to "learning from mistakes". We make jokes about TJ surgery based on past results and two months later, boom, the player is getting TJ surgery.

Is this normal? I have no idea but it sure seems like they should be learning from previous incidents and jumping on these injuries more quickly at this point. But, again, like almost every other poster on this board, I'm not in the position to make a truly qualified statement on the subject.

Riverbrian
08-22-2012, 10:15 AM
ďHeís an emergency second baseman. Heís not as skilled; he would have a lot to work on at second base. I take all the throws with him, so you can tell your (readers) the managerís out there taking all the throws when heís fielding groundballs and itís a work in progress. Heís an emergency infielder. He was an infielder and was moved to the outfield, and thatís because a lot of the balls ended up in the outfield anyway. Thatís what happens.Ē

Gardy's word is good enough for me... I always suspected that it was something like that or it would have been done already.

All in All... It's too bad... I was really hoping for some Mastro at 2b... And Hoping for it to work out. I like him as a player and he's about to get overrun by Arcia, Hicks and the like.

Easy answers are tough to find. I'll keep trying.

Brock Beauchamp
08-22-2012, 10:28 AM
“He’s an emergency second baseman. He’s not as skilled; he would have a lot to work on at second base. I take all the throws with him, so you can tell your (readers) the manager’s out there taking all the throws when he’s fielding groundballs and it’s a work in progress. He’s an emergency infielder. He was an infielder and was moved to the outfield, and that’s because a lot of the balls ended up in the outfield anyway. That’s what happens.”

Gardy's word is good enough for me... I always suspected that it was something like that or it would have been done already.

All in All... It's too bad... I was really hoping for some Mastro at 2b... And Hoping for it to work out. I like him as a player and he's about to get overrun by Arcia, Hicks and the like.

Easy answers are tough to find. I'll keep trying.

Given Mastro's play, I don't think Hicks & Co. will hurt him much. They are all everyday players while Mastro has fourth outfielder written all over him. If he can learn to play second in a pinch, he's an excellent OF/2B/PR option for the team and definitely has a place on this roster.

IdahoPilgrim
08-22-2012, 10:38 AM

As an outsider looking in (one who has virtually no knowledge of medicine), my biggest problem boils down to "learning from mistakes". We make jokes about TJ surgery based on past results and two months later, boom, the player is getting TJ surgery.

Is this normal? I have no idea but it sure seems like they should be learning from previous incidents and jumping on these injuries more quickly at this point. But, again, like almost every other poster on this board, I'm not in the position to make a truly qualified statement on the subject.

I guess my question is what is considered the medical standard for treatment in these cases. In most areas of medicine, surgery is considered the option of last resort, because of the potential for complications for even a routine surgery. If there is a chance the injury can be healed without it, it's usually best to try. The complicating factor here, of course, is the lost playing time. In these cases the speed of recovery becomes a factor along with the completeness of the recovery. Should the medically standard treatment plan be different for ballplayers than for the rest of us? I don't know - it's a valid question.

mbents
08-22-2012, 10:40 AM

These pitchers having TJ surgery wasn't the result of a mistake by the Twins' medical staff, was it? Surgery was the outcome as a last resort. I don't see a problem with being cautious and hoping that rest & rehab works. What bothers me about the medical staff - and really the Twins organization in general - is when a day-to-day injury turns into a 15-day DL stay, after the player has already been out for a week.

USAFChief
08-22-2012, 12:09 PM

I posted the same thing in one of the "Mastro to 2nd" threads. Teams don't move a player off a middle infield position, particularly in A ball, unless they're forced to do so.

Turning ground balls into outs is much harder than turning fly balls into outs. Much, much harder. Not every player can do that. Most major league position players were SS"s at one point and had to move as they progressed out of little league, or high school, or the low minors. Major league middle infielders make it look easy (well...except Nishioka...) but its not.

In an emergency for an inning, or perhaps even a game? Yeah, adds a bit of value to Mastros role as a bench player. Everyday 2nd baseman? Seriously doubt it.

IdahoPilgrim
08-22-2012, 12:36 PM
These pitchers having TJ surgery wasn't the result of a mistake by the Twins' medical staff, was it? Surgery was the outcome as a last resort. I don't see a problem with being cautious and hoping that rest & rehab works. What bothers me about the medical staff - and really the Twins organization in general - is when a day-to-day injury turns into a 15-day DL stay, after the player has already been out for a week.

The problem comes when it is not immediately obvious how long it will be before the player can perform. Every body heals slightly differently, and sometimes all you can do is trial-and-error (in the batting cage, on the field, etc) to tell when a player is ready to return.

Can you imagine the outcry on this site (and others) if the Twins regularly put players on the 15-day DL immediately, only to have them ready to play in three days and have to sit another twelve for no reason? As long as we're not chasing a playoff spot and having a short bench doesn't mean all that much, there's little cost in waiting a week - you can always backdate the DL placement up to 10 days, so the player doesn't miss any more time whether you place them on it immediately or a week later.

diehardtwinsfan
08-22-2012, 01:11 PM
of all the things to complain about, I'm not sure the time to DL is one of them. In all, it probably costs them a couple more games than they'd like, but it's hardly a team killer. It would be a bigger deal during a penant race, but the problem with day to day injuries, is that they are just that. No one has a crystal ball that says that Span is still going to be in pain a week later. That's the nature of injuries like that. My bigger concern is constantly muffing up the big things.

snepp
08-22-2012, 01:29 PM
of all the things to complain about, I'm not sure the time to DL is one of them. In all, it probably costs them a couple more games than they'd like, but it's hardly a team killer.

If everybody else does their job it's ok if the medical staff ****s up the small stuff.

TheLeviathan
08-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Too bad Mastro doesn't have what it takes, would've really helped this roster's glaring holes. Oh well.

Montecore
08-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Too bad about Mastroianni. It'd be nice if he could develop the skill set to play the position.