PDA

View Full Version : Blackburn Offseason Trade?

darin617
08-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Can anyone think of a realistic trade for Blackburn involving another player with a bad contract? I would rather see something in return instead if just releasing either during or after spring training.

greengoblinrulz
08-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Not saying its something to do....but it will be this type
Nick/Nishi's 8.5m deals to MIA for Heath Bell & his 9m deal w/MIA picking up 9m (basically the 2014 salary)
2 teams dumping salary of player they dont want

kab21
08-20-2012, 11:42 PM
It's silly how people try to come up with trades for those with negative trade value. At this point you just DFA him and hope that someone puts him on an MLB roster (paying the MLB min back to the Twins).

USAFChief
08-20-2012, 11:58 PM
How's about this? The Mets need to trim salary, the Twins have space and will be looking for SP candidates for 2013 (and beyond).

Twins trade Blackburn and Nishioka to the Mets for Johan Santana

Blackburn/Nishioka will make $8.5M in 2013 (plus a $250K buyout for Nishioka in 2014.)

Santana is due $25.5M (!) in 2013, $25M in 2014 (with a $5.25M buyout).

The Mets send along $9M for 2013, and agree to pay half the 2014 buyout ($2.625M) should the Twins decide to exercise it. The Mets save $8M in 2013, and $2.385M (factoring in Nishi's buyout) in 2014.

Twins are out from under Blackburn and Nishioka, and have a net $8M invested in Santana for 2013, plus $2.625M in 2014. They potentially have one rotation slot fixed for 2013, at a reasonable cost, or at least filled with someone who has as decent a chance of being a good pitcher in 2013 as anything else they're likely to get for that price in 2013 on a one year deal. I happen to think Santana is a good bounceback bet next year, two yrs removed from surgery.

Ultima Ratio
08-21-2012, 12:03 AM
How's about this? The Mets need to trim salary, the Twins have space and will be looking for SP candidates for 2013 (and beyond).

Blackburn/Nishioka will make $8.5M in 2013 (plus a $250K buyout for Nishioka in 2014.)

The Mets send along $9M for 2013, and agree to pay half the 2014 buyout ($2.625M) should the Twins decide to exercise it. The Mets save $8M in 2013, and $2.385M (factoring in Nishi's buyout) in 2014.

Twins are out from under Blackburn and Nishioka, and have a net $8M invested in Santana for 2013, plus $2.625M in 2014. They potentially have one rotation slot fixed for 2013, at a reasonable cost, or at least filled with someone who has as decent a chance of being a good pitcher in 2013 as anything else they're likely to get for that price in 2013 on a one year deal. I happen to think Santana is a good bounceback bet next year, two yrs removed from surgery.

Even straight up, I don't see this happening.

TheLeviathan
08-21-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm sure if the Mets want to hand away Santana for little value they can do better than Blackburn and Nishi.

old nurse
08-21-2012, 01:15 AM
I'm sure if the Mets want to hand away Santana for little value they can do better than Blackburn and Nishi.
How about we include Grey, Carson, Thomas, Guerra and a B level and a couple of C level prospects to go with?

B Richard
08-21-2012, 02:09 AM
I can't fathom anyone giving up anything for Blackburn. I personally would be more in favor of taking him off the field and letting him come out between innings to throw souvenir shirts to fans rather than his customary room service fastballs.

Top Gun
08-21-2012, 02:23 AM
Bartlett, but he was release today. 1.5m buy out.

Brock Beauchamp
08-21-2012, 08:14 AM

Why would the Mets do this? Worst case scenario with Santana (outside of injury) is that they convert him to the pen, where he could be a useful player. He's still striking out guys.

On the other hand, Blackburn and Nishi have almost a zero percent chance of being effective anywhere on a ML roster.

Winston Smith
08-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Maybe if Carlos Silva was still around he'd be a fit.

TheLeviathan
08-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Why would the Mets do this? Worst case scenario with Santana (outside of injury) is that they convert him to the pen, where he could be a useful player. He's still striking out guys.

On the other hand, Blackburn and Nishi have almost a zero percent chance of being effective anywhere on a ML roster.

Throw in Duensing.

I did get a good chuckle out of that "idea" though.

twinslover
08-21-2012, 08:59 AM
I would take Crash Davis and Nuke Laloosh at this point, but even Durham wouldn't take a Blackie/Nishi combo platter.

cr9617
08-21-2012, 09:16 AM
This one gets my vote for dumbest thread of the season.

gmarais66
08-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Maybe we could trade both Blackburn and Nishi to the Sugar Land Skeeters for Roger Clemens...

Top Gun
08-21-2012, 09:28 AM
I think Blacky could do as good if not better than Jason Marquis in the NL. SP is very valueable some would want him.

stringer bell
08-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Salary dump for salary dump. I'd like to get the former Fausto Carmona from the Indians but Blackburn would have to convince somebody he could get out major league hitters.

twinsnorth49
08-21-2012, 09:39 AM

.....................+1

Fire Dan Gladden
08-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Pitching coaches and scouts can be finicky. If the Twins were willing to basically eat his entire salary, some national league team may give a PTBNL of the low-level variety, to take a flier on somebody who has had some success in the past.

cr9617
08-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Why would any team trade for this?

Among all MLB pitchers to start more than 60 games since 2010 he ranks dead last (http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/) in:
- ERA (5.56)
- Opponents' batting average (.313)
- Opponents' on-base percentage (.359)
- Opponents' slugging percentage (.507)
- Homers per nine innings (1.5)
- Baserunners per nine innings (14.1)
- Strikeouts per nine innings (4.1)
- Strikeout-to-walk ratio (1.55)

Craig in MN
08-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Nishioka and Blackburn to Seattle for Chone Figgins? There's nothing much to like there, but the money matches. Figgins could be the 25th man and play some 2b, 3b and OF. Blackburn could conceivably pitch better with a change of scenery and in spacious Safeco (just don't mention Carlos Silva). Nishioka is probably a better hitter than Chone Figgins anymore, but less flexible defensively. If both teams were forced to make a trade and not eat salary, this might be the deal they'd make.

Mr. Ed
08-21-2012, 10:25 AM
I thought TField was spacious as well.

When your BAA is over .300, there is no field that is spacious enough.

darin617
08-21-2012, 10:38 AM
If not traded, Blackie will be pitching in the NL next season.

greengoblinrulz
08-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Majority of other teams have that overpaid player or 2 that there fans think there is NO way they can be dealt.....cept for another player of that ilk

USAFChief
08-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Why would the Mets do this? .

They save $8m. Their ownership situation is in financial chaos with the whole Madof thing and they need to trim payroll. It's far fetched, I agree, but the thread itself is far fetched.

mike wants wins
08-21-2012, 11:44 AM
What would you pay to acquire a real prospect in a deal like this? That is, how much would you eat of another bad contract (net of the Blackie contract) to get something in return? That said, I see no chance they trade Blackburn.

diehardtwinsfan
08-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Here's the problem. Blackburn is owed 5M, and he's awful. This is the definition of a sunk cost, and that right there is why he was outrighted. No one would take on the contract, adn I highly doubt that if he was DFAd someone would give him anything more than a minor league contract. The Twins are on the hook for this contract, but at least the only way he returns to MN is if he earns it.

That said, no one is going to give anything to take blackburn off of our hands... even a bad contract for bad contract swap makes no sense, as Blackburn has been terrible and no team is going to put him in their rotation. The Twins won't get a bucket of balls for him. Their only hope is that he figures something out in AAA and can come back and look like the Blackburn of old, but at this point, the Twins have essentially written him off.

Rosterman
08-21-2012, 12:28 PM
The Dodgers are rumored to be interested in Santana and taking on his salary.

No team will trade for Blackburn...now. They will wait to see if he is designated for assignment and then just pick him up for a song. They can try him for a few starts and keep or drop him, the Twins still paying most of the bill.

Same with Toshi. If the Twins are lucky, they may find a buyer in Japan, but still out two years salary and the initial purchase fee.

The bigger question is how much do you feel paying any of these guys and stopping the advancement of someone else -- is worth.

Blackjack
08-21-2012, 01:04 PM
The bigger question is how much do you feel paying any of these guys and stopping the advancement of someone else -- is worth.

I agree, this is the bigger issue.

Dump Nishi to some Japanese team, get what you can from him, clear the way for someone else.

Since pitching is such a precious commodity, bring Blackburn to spring training and maybe-maybe-maybe he'll have figured something out. If not, still keep him at Rochester, help their W-L record, hes there if needed. And if he goes 10-5 at AAA, maybe someone will trade for him at the deadline... Pitching is always in demand.

Brock Beauchamp
08-21-2012, 01:41 PM

We're trying to crack down on "this thread is worthless" or "dumb post" comments in the forum. They really contribute nothing to the conversation (and while I understand that you feel this entire thread contributes nothing, that's really aside the point).

So, please, if you don't like a thread, just stay out of it or challenge the idea on its merits (or, IMO, the lack thereof in this case). We're not going to be all fire and brimstone about this issue, it's just something we feel is unnecessary on Twins Daily.

nokomismod
08-21-2012, 01:49 PM
What about keeping Blackburn around just to pitch bp to our guys? He seems to help batters get hot.

DPJ
08-21-2012, 01:58 PM
We can sacrifice Blackburn to the Gods for another ten year run like the Twins did in 2001.

gil4
08-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Their only hope is that he figures something out in AAA and can come back and look like the Blackburn of old, but at this point, the Twins have essentially written him off.

The Blackburn of old had plenty of red flags that indicate that this is the real thing and that was an illusion. He's a right-handed Allan Anderson (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/anderal02.shtml), except not quite as good.

After looking at the stats, Anderson wasn't as bad as I remembered when he bottomed out. Even when he was good, those SO/9 rates were amazing - 3.7 and 3.2. A batting tee has higher rates.

twinsnorth49
08-21-2012, 03:11 PM

We're trying to crack down on "this thread is worthless" or "dumb post" comments in the forum. They really contribute nothing to the conversation (and while I understand that you feel this entire thread contributes nothing, that's really aside the point).

So, please, if you don't like a thread, just stay out of it or challenge the idea on its merits (or, IMO, the lack thereof in this case). We're not going to be all fire and brimstone about this issue, it's just something we feel is unnecessary on Twins Daily.

Hey, I get this and I contributed to the "worthlessness" myself but to single out this post just because it calls a spade a spade is kind of unfair. There are a number of posts in this thread contributing just as little, only covered in a very thin veneer of humour.

diehardtwinsfan
08-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Their only hope is that he figures something out in AAA and can come back and look like the Blackburn of old, but at this point, the Twins have essentially written him off.

The Blackburn of old had plenty of red flags that indicate that this is the real thing and that was an illusion. He's a right-handed Allan Anderson (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/anderal02.shtml), except not quite as good.

After looking at the stats, Anderson wasn't as bad as I remembered when he bottomed out. Even when he was good, those SO/9 rates were amazing - 3.7 and 3.2. A batting tee has higher rates.

I didn't say the Blackburn of old was exceptional or anything. It was a n acceptable back of the rotation starter that eats innings. The one we have right now isn't as good as a lot of AAA options.

Twins Twerp
08-21-2012, 03:59 PM
There have been times in Blackburn's career where he has been exceptional. He was pitcher of the month either last may or the may before that. Unfortunatly for twins us, he cant seem to find that sinking fastball consistantly enough or for the better part of the pastt five years. Pretty much since he signed the contract. Remember when we had all those young pitchers coming up from the minors with high ceilings,and they all pitched well at some point. Blackey, Baker, Liriano, Slowey, and Perkins. Yet, none of them are quality starters now. Whether it be injury, babyness (Perkins and Slowey), doucheness (Slowey), or Nerves of wet paper (Franky Freakout), something went south. Don't even get me started on the young arms in the farm system, tommy j-bone much.