PDA

View Full Version : Shipley: Span Misses Fifth Straight Game

John Bonnes
08-19-2012, 09:49 AM
and doesn't looks likely to play today...

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_21345983/minnesota-twins-denard-span-misses-fifth-straight-game

So at the end of today, Span will have been unavailable for a week and still not on the DL. Is he close to returning?

"Span's doing some (batting) cage work and doing some things," assistant general manager Rob Antony said. "He says it's feeling better, moving in the right direction."

Well. That tells us exactly nothing. Here's the thing: if they don't know when he's going to return, then it likely means it's not close and he should be on the DL. And if they know, then tell us. "Doing some thing?" "Moving in the right direction?" "Feeling better?" Really?

And here's the other thing: I have delayed starting this thread for a couple days because I know it isn't likely to generate a lot of intelligent discussion, just a lot of cheap shots. But I'm doing so for 2 reasons. First, because it's news dammit.

And second, because the reason it is going to be a bunch of cheap shots is because we've been down this road umpteen times. There isn't a lot of intelligent discussion that hasn't already been said. And yet things stay the same. When you keep doing the same stupid thing over and over and over again, eventually, all that's left is to dream up different ways to illustrate how stupid it is. Which brings us to the cheap shots....

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-19-2012, 09:55 AM
If he ends up missing less then 8 or 9 games then keeping him off the DL was probably the right move, hopefully he will be back Monday or Tuesday. Part of me wonders that if the Twins were in the pennant race would Span have been back quicker? Perhaps they are just being a little conservative at this point since the season is lost.

Other then Parmelee its not like anyone is exactly knocking on the door to take his roster spot anyways. Let Carson get his cup of coffee until Span is back.

The Twins definitely should be criticized for past blunders (such as Plouffe), but the solution isn't to just start throwing people on the DL left and right.

John Bonnes
08-19-2012, 10:31 AM
If he ends up missing less then 8 or 9 games then keeping him off the DL was probably the right move...

How do you figure?

If Span was put on the DL right away, we have already seen Parmelee for a week.. Furthermore, I'd suggest that Span is much less likely to return at less than 100% and hurt the team by not being on the DL, because he's rushing to return.

I said in last week's podcast that this predilection of the Twins doesn't kill them in a noncompetitive year when they have little depth. But that's because nothing kills them in noncompetitive year. That doesn't mean everything except the pitching staff should be ignored.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-19-2012, 10:42 AM
If he ends up missing less then 8 or 9 games then keeping him off the DL was probably the right move...

How do you figure?

If Span was put on the DL right away, we have already seen Parmelee for a week.. Furthermore, I'd suggest that Span is much less likely to return at less than 100% and hurt the team by not being on the DL, because he's rushing to return.

I said in last week's podcast that this predilection of the Twins doesn't kill them in a noncompetitive year when they have little depth. But that's because nothing kills them in noncompetitive year. That doesn't mean everything except the pitching staff should be ignored.
Is it for certain that Parmelee would have been the one who was recalled if Span was put on the DL?

TheLeviathan
08-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm more concerned with the fact that Span is starting to build concerns about durability. Given that he's likely to be deallt at some point soon, that is a much bigger issue to me.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-19-2012, 10:43 AM
I'm more concerned with the fact that Span is starting to build concerns about durability. Given that he's likely to be deallt at some point soon, that is a much bigger issue to me.

I mean, he has been pretty healthy this year, bumps and bruises (like this) happen to all players. Hopefully he is back and effective soon.

IdahoPilgrim
08-19-2012, 10:55 AM
If I remember correctly, you can backdate the DL for up to 10 days, so not putting him on the DL has not affected when he could return yet.

The cost, if you call it that, is having an injured player on the bench and a roster spot that is basically wasted. At this point in the season, does that really matter? Being in the AL that's less of an issue than a NL club, and it would seem somewhat pointless to aggressively use the DL list and maximize the roster just so we can slide past Kansas City into 4th place.

And there is the question of who you bring up. Unless you want to try and clear a space on the 40-man, that leaves you with Arcia and Benson. New Britain should keep Arcia as they are in a run for the playoffs (and the Twins aren't - otherwise I would say take him up now), and Benson won't help you much anyway.

jokin
08-19-2012, 12:19 PM
If I remember correctly, you can backdate the DL for up to 10 days, so not putting him on the DL has not affected when he could return yet.

The cost, if you call it that, is having an injured player on the bench and a roster spot that is basically wasted. At this point in the season, does that really matter? Being in the AL that's less of an issue than a NL club, and it would seem somewhat pointless to aggressively use the DL list and maximize the roster just so we can slide past Kansas City into 4th place.

And there is the question of who you bring up. Unless you want to try and clear a space on the 40-man, that leaves you with Arcia and Benson. New Britain should keep Arcia as they are in a run for the playoffs (and the Twins aren't - otherwise I would say take him up now), and Benson won't help you much anyway.

This issue keeps coming up and I'm not sure why. The Twins have made 40-man roster moves Ten Times this year, and what is the most consequential loss? Luke Hughes. I would argue that, given the club's fairly dire personnel situation, there should be more 40 man moves as it:

1) tells the club and the player if there is anyone that actually values their services
2) shakes up the complacency factor about job security
3) recognizes the reality that there are really only around 30 guys who deserve 40 man status
4) gets the deserving talent (look at the Orioles Manny Machado), and the yet, undiscovered talent, on a faster track to the major league club

Obviously, turning on the arb clock for talent like Arcia and Hicks has to be taken into consideration, but the handling of Parmelee has been illustrative in the wasting of a year's service time- for what?- mending fences with the AAA affiliate?