PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Thoughts for the Twins

enge0280
08-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Here are some ideas I had for the Twins for next year. I apologize if they feel too video-gamey, but I think this is something they potentially could be doing for next year...

Trade Denard Span to the Yankees for Phil Hughes. Hughes may become expensive after next year, and he would also probably do well away from the pressure in New York. We sure do need pitching.

Trade Justin Morneau and at least one good prospect (hopefully not named Sano, Arcia or Rosario) and maybe a lower level prospect (that, crosses fingers, doesn't ever make the majors) to Texas for Elvis Andrus. Texas gets a former MVP 1st baseman (they don't have a good one right now, and Morneau is starting to look good again) and give up a young all star shortstop who is very good defensively. Texas then brings up the #1 prospect in the game Jurickson Profar to take over at SS going forward. The Twins hopefully have SS solved for the next 5-10 years.

Sign one starting free agent starter, I'm guessing someone like Colby Lewis who is durable to the point of being a great starter, but he's coming off injury.

Resign Scott Baker to an incentive laden deal, have him ready to go middle of the year.

So you have...

CF Revere
SS Andrus
C/DH/1B Mauer
LF Willingham
3B Plouffe
1B Parmelee
DH/C Doumit
RF Arcia
2B Dozier/Escobar/Florimon/someone else

Starting rotation of
Diamond, Hughes, Lewis, Gibson and anyone else until Baker is healthy.

We still would get a high draft pick next year to use on pitching, and hopefully would be better for it...

Bullpen of
Duensing, Burton, Perkins and any number of players that will try out in spring training.

What do you guys think?

Ultima Ratio
08-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Just going to comment on your batting order: why would you bat Parmelee in front of Doumit?

cr9617
08-15-2012, 01:50 PM
I agree, it's too video-gamey

70charger
08-15-2012, 01:51 PM
There are a ton of "ifs" in that scenario, but that's part of what makes it fun. I think the Morneau-to-Texas scenario is very interesting. We would love some solid middle infield help, and if he's Andrus-quality so much the better. I would hate to see Morneau leave, but it may make the better in the long run.

enge0280
08-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I would think the lineup could change a bit, nothing is set in stone. Just what I wrote down thinking about it quickly.

And yes, maybe it is too video-gamey, sorry about that. They do need a ton of upgrades in the middle infield and the starting rotation, so I figured it was worth a shot.

PseudoSABR
08-15-2012, 02:05 PM
A deal centered Span and Andrus makes sense for both sides.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Hughes sucks, and we would only have him for 1 year. No thanks.

If Span is traded it needs to be for a high upside pitcher who has more than 1 year of team control left.

I would be for a Span for Andrus trade.

TheLeviathan
08-15-2012, 02:53 PM
A deal centered Span and Andrus makes sense for both sides.

I think we overvalue Span to imagine that kind of deal would even be a starting point. The price we'd have to pay to balance the Andrus > Span would be pretty unpalatable.

The Span for Hughes proposal is much more realistic. Not that I'd endorse it, but I think that's a much more accurate view on his value.

Monkeypaws
08-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Shouldn't it be "sorta deep off season thoughts for the Twins"?

YourHouseIsMyHouse
08-15-2012, 03:12 PM
I am drooling at the thought of the Twins getting Elvis Andrus. I don't see much of a shot at getting him. I don't think the Rangers would want Span. Morneau maybe. If they get a deal centered around Andrus-Morneau all the while getting Parmelee to 1B=A+++

Nick Nelson
08-15-2012, 04:48 PM
I like the idea of trading Span/Morneau for pitching, adding one relatively high-caliber FA arm and taking a gamble on one or two other risk/reward plays. I will say that I think your particular plan is a little too short-term focused. Colby Lewis is 33 and not a good bet on a multi-year deal, and giving up top prospects for Andrus (who would probably be a two-year rental) isn't something a team in Minnesota's position should be doing.

diehardtwinsfan
08-15-2012, 06:13 PM
the Twins shouldn't be trading prospects at all.. they should be aquiring them. I wouldn't trade for Andrus if it's going to cost me a B grade prospect.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
08-15-2012, 06:56 PM
the Twins shouldn't be trading prospects at all.. they should be aquiring them. I wouldn't trade for Andrus if it's going to cost me a B grade prospect.

Andrus is a 23 year old All Star SS. That would be exciting for the fan base. Andrus will likely end up being better than most of players in BAs top 50 in the entire MLB. If the Twins can avoid dealing one of the guys in their fab five (Buxton, Arcia, Sano, Rosario, and Hicks), I really like the move. There isn't one good SS in the system either.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Andrus also only has 2 more years of team control.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
08-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Andrus also only has 2 more years of team control.

It was an interesting thought if he would re-sign if dealt to the Twins, but his situation is a killer. Normally, teams have to develop there own franchise Shortstops, so it was nice to think that the Rangers would share one of their two with us. There hasn't been an above average shortstop in Minnesota since Cristian Guzman and I feel some desperation.

twinslover
08-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Neither trade is logical. Since when do the Yankees care about a player being expensive, or did you mean expendable? Either way, Phil Hughes for Span isn't equal value. I read someone mention that Span is overvalued, which is true to an extent. His overall value is higher than most players of a similar skillset and age because his contract runs for several more years at quite an affordable rate. Phil Hughes is under team control only until 2013 and after that he will likely command much more than the 3+ mil he's making this year. The Morneau for Andrus deal is a little more realistic but I still don't see it happening. The Twins would probably have to include more than one prospect unless they would be willing to eat some of Morneau's contract, which I can't see happening. Andrus has two years left at over 10 million and will likely be looking for a contract that is at least 4-6 years and 60-90 million. I would love to see this trade happen as long as Andrus was signed to an extension, but I don't see the point in trading prospects for a one year rental. One thing is for sure, the Rangers will listen to offers for Andrus at some point in the next year or two, but they would almost certainly get better offers than Morneau and a "B" prospect. As for some of the other moves, I think Colby Lewis would be the best fit out there for this team, provided he's healthy and I'd love to see him a Twin.

ScottyB
08-15-2012, 08:15 PM
As much as I would have liked Colby Lewis, I wouldn't go after him at this point. A torn flexor tendon is just short of Tommy John, and with the Twins history of waiting too long, I see no way of Lewis returning before June of 2013. Remember, this is what Baker had before he ended up needing Tommy John. I wouldn't trust the current Twins medical corps to treat me for a hang nail. All undiagnosed - Baker, Wimmers, Zumaya, and Gibson in the last year alone. If Lewis was brought in I have no doubt that he would need another surgery under TwinCare.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
08-15-2012, 08:24 PM
One thing is for sure, the Rangers will listen to offers for Andrus at some point in the next year or two, but they would almost certainly get better offers than Morneau and a "B" prospect.

True and most have agreed upon it's unlikeliness. My fear concerning Andrus is that he becomes a Yankee because Jeter is so close to retirement.

greengoblinrulz
08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Thought about posting an identical thread on Elvis Andrus today. That is about what I was thinking on a trade. They are gonna deal him this winter, so why not make a case for him. Couldnt care less that he's got 2 yrs left till FA, if that bothers ya....we can sign another Jamey Carroll to a contract.
Dont see how DSpan works in NY cause he doesnt at all (outfield/leadoff hitter). However, Phil Hughes is someone who could flourish outside Yankee Stadium & would be well worth looking into.
Also, how about lookin into Ricky Romero from TOR. Everyone argues we need an ace & he is....but we may be able to buy low on him. He's due 22.5m for the next 3 yrs with a 4th yr option. They have had interst in the big Canadian first baseman also...to center a trade around.

twinslover
08-15-2012, 10:00 PM
As much as I would have liked Colby Lewis, I wouldn't go after him at this point. A torn flexor tendon is just short of Tommy John, and with the Twins history of waiting too long, I see no way of Lewis returning before June of 2013. Remember, this is what Baker had before he ended up needing Tommy John. I wouldn't trust the current Twins medical corps to treat me for a hang nail. All undiagnosed - Baker, Wimmers, Zumaya, and Gibson in the last year alone. If Lewis was brought in I have no doubt that he would need another surgery under TwinCare.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Twins medical staff is inadequate. They would take a month to diagnose a broken bone that has punctured the skin and is sticking out as a fracture after initially calling it a dislocation.

old nurse
08-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Also, how about lookin into Ricky Romero from TOR. Everyone argues we need an ace & he is....but we may be able to buy low on him. He's due 22.5m for the next 3 yrs with a 4th yr option. They have had interst in the big Canadian first baseman also...to center a trade around.

Season to Date

Date
Opponent
Score
Dec
IP
H
R
ER
HR
BB
K

W
L
SV
BS
HLD
IP
ERA

Aug 10
NYY
L 4-10 (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=ArFFzRuvu6BWFPmTh7f2drCFCLcF?gid=320 810114)
L

Aug 4
@ OAK
W 3-1 (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=Aq935LgbGrLGU8d4ZCop5uyFCLcF?gid=320 804111)
-

Jul 30
@ SEA
L 1-4 (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AnGNaMJXimmI6cnYOmIq2P2FCLcF?gid=320 730112)
L

Jul 25
OAK
L 0-16 (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AiRFqK9DGyHSgtiuliGTc9aFCLcF?gid=320 725114)
L

Jul 18
@ NYY
L 0-6 (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=Aiu712AKPTHDfydpmj6kAsSFCLcF?gid=320 718110)
L

Jul 13
CLE
L 0-1 (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AlTUMPT7aZV6829.GG8P5AuFCLcF?gid=320 713114)
L

Jul 7
@ CHW
L 0-2 (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=Anmeb5sBSSbzPBwQI_MJvbGFCLcF?gid=320 707104)
L

Jul 2
KAN
L 3-11 (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AkAYWL1bBk0RxSAyO8SAyMyFCLcF?gid=320 702114)
L

Jun 27
@ BOS
L 4-10 (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AhZPeeYpn2IJp.zxvBka5raFCLcF?gid=320 627102)
L

If Romero continues like this the Canadian could be Tosoni rather than Morneau

greengoblinrulz
08-15-2012, 11:51 PM
^^^knocked that set up out of the park, well done!!! Romero's ERA in those gms is 7.28, still way lower than Blackburns

TheLeviathan
08-16-2012, 08:16 AM
^^^knocked that set up out of the park, well done!!! Romero's ERA in those gms is 7.28, still way lower than Blackburns

This would be a fine point if you hadn't said Romero was an "ace". Is the bar for being an "ace" simply being better than Nick Blackburn?