PDA

View Full Version : Twins radio broadcasts moving to KTWN

lecroy24fan
08-14-2012, 10:30 AM
No surprise here:

Report: Minnesota Twins Moving To KTWN | AllAccess.com (http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/109155/report-minnesota-twins-moving-to-ktwn)

DPJ
08-14-2012, 10:36 AM
As much as I hate change, if it gets Mackey off the air I'm for it.

davidjcampbell
08-14-2012, 10:41 AM
David Brauer has more - http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2012/08/twins-jump-ktwn-expected-1500-espn-committed-sports-format

John Bonnes
08-14-2012, 01:12 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/166061596.html?clmob=y&c=n&refer=y

Looks like the speculation was right nd I was wrong. I wonder what ESPN1500 does now?

Boom Boom
08-14-2012, 01:23 PM

He'll still be on the air, he just won't be obligated to butter up the Twins organization at every opportunity.

nokomismod
08-14-2012, 01:25 PM
I really like 1500's format from 9am until 3pm. I wonder what they will do also. I am guessing some of them might be recruited. Unfortunately, KTWN hosts probably will not be very critical/objective about the Twins.

BrentMpls
08-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Looks like the speculation was right nd I was wrong. I wonder what ESPN1500 does now?

It should be interesting, the ESPN connection might help and keep them afloat, or like I said in the other thread I doubt the local programming will survive now that they just have gopher hockey and basketball, and they go all ESPN national, but who knows, time will tell.

BrentMpls
08-14-2012, 01:28 PM
I really like 1500's format from 9am until 3pm. I wonder what they will do also. I am guessing some of them might be recruited. Unfortunately, KTWN hosts probably will not be very critical/objective about the Twins.

Depends on what their format will be. They were ghetto rap at once time, not sure what format that are in right now. I think Perkins was/is on the morning show...

Pius Jefferson
08-14-2012, 01:31 PM
^Call up the Pohlad family and offer to buy their station.

BrentMpls
08-14-2012, 01:32 PM

R&M were abrasively joking how Samuel Deduno doesn't belong with the Twins and should host the new morning show on KTWIN next year, and that their program will soon be coming to end during today's show

Fire Dan Gladden
08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Too early to tell how this will affect the pre and post-game shows. We will have to see how the talent gets distributed.

Maybe they can finally get rid of Gladden through this process...

John Bonnes
08-14-2012, 01:55 PM
I'll be very interested to see if they switch formats. The Twins have had their own "radio network" for several years now, though it had very limited programming - mostly just Sunday afternoons and Twins games. I wonder if they kick that up a notch now.

Jim Crikket
08-14-2012, 02:03 PM
I see a couple of possibilities at work here.

Certainly, this could be an indicator that Twins ownership is dipping their toes back in the waters of owning/controlling their own media distribution channel. It didn't work for them the first time with TV, but it certainly has worked for other teams since then. If they can make the radio thing work, maybe by the next time their TV rights are up for bid, they'll be in a position to at least partner with a distributor and give FSN some competition for those rights.

Another... and perhaps, unfortunately, more likely... scenario is that after two consecutive very poor seasons, they realized the money they might be able to command from 1500 or anyone else for their radio rights was tanking along with the Twins' W-L record and now might be the time to see if they can use Twins programming to at least make the radio station profitable.

John Bonnes
08-14-2012, 02:59 PM
I suppose the good news for ESPN 1500 is now they have a million dollars to spend on...I'm not sure exactly what they would spend it on. I'm very interested in that announcement tomorrow.

John Bonnes
08-14-2012, 03:07 PM
This just in.....

Media Advisory: Twins to Host VIP Breakfast at Target Field
Live broadcast from the Carew Atrium will be followed by a special announcement regarding team’s future radio broadcast plans

What: The Twins and Northern Lights Broadcasting will host a live broadcast between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. followed by a special announcement. The live broadcast will feature guest appearances by Twins personalities.

When: 7-9 a.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 15 (Announcement made at 9 a.m.) Where: Target Field Delta SKY 360 Legends Club – Carew Atrium

Who: Dave St. Peter – President, Minnesota Twins Sam Elliot – Vice President, Northern Lights Broadcasting and General Manager, FM 96.3 K-TWIN Eric Perkins – Broadcaster, FM 96.3 K-TWIN Kent Hrbek – Minnesota Twins Legend Cory Provus – Broadcaster, Minnesota Twins Dan Gladden – Broadcaster, Minnesota Twins Ron Gardenhire – Manager, Minnesota Twins

Riverbrian
08-14-2012, 03:26 PM
There are two main reasons why radio stations purchase the broadcast rights.

1. Money
2. Ratings

Pretty obvious I know but the Pohlads are in position to determine if they will make more money from the selling the broadcast rights to another station or keeping the advertising revenue themselves with their own signal. I think that determination has been made based upon the switch.

From a ratings standpoint. This is the tricky part... The Twins can actually bolster a radio station's ratings overall in standard 6a to 12m Mon-Sun measurement by bringing in unique cume during games and therefore improve the overall ratings. It doesn't matter what format they offer outside of Twins broadcasts... as a matter of fact.... A different format from a sports broadcast would be preferable. Nights are low in-tab timeslots and the Twins will bring in listeners from demographic's young to old seperate from normal audience. This unique cume is added to the overall cume(non-Twins listeners) throughout the day and it increases cume overall.

Simply... Listening numbers can be down during the actual Twins broadcast times(I don't think they will but they could) and overall station numbers will go up because the Twins Audience will be different audience and added to the normal format listener cume... Therefore increasing cume overall. Cume is one half the formula for determining audience share.

In short... Smart move by the Pohlads and KTWN programming staff. The worst thing that they can do at this point is go to Sports format during non Twins Hours because it seems to align with being the Twins station... By keeping a music format and the Twins... They will draw cume from two sets of audience and ratings will increase and therefore revenue for both the Twins and their radio station. This is a no brainer!!!

SweetOne69
08-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Riverbrian, with ESPN1500 the Twins actually had the best of both worlds. They were paid $1M/yr for the broadcast rights plus the got the in game ad revenue.

What they are hoping to do by switching is to increase the audience for their own station.

davidjcampbell
08-14-2012, 03:42 PM

Depends on what their format will be. They were ghetto rap at once time, not sure what format that are in right now. I think Perkins was/is on the morning show...

Sorry Brent - are you able to fit a few more qualifiers into that post?

When the Polads bought the station they played "urban" music which competed with KDWB playing mainstream rap and R&B. Since the purchase in 2007, they have changed formats twice landing on "modern adult contemporary" - basically they play a little of everything now. They have also moved their transmitter to New Hope in 2009 to increase the metro reach.

The Perkins you are referring to is Eric Perkins (also KARE-11 Sports Director).

BrentMpls
08-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Sorry Brent - are you able to fit a few more qualifiers into that post?

Terrible, horrible, unlistenable come to mind.

The Perkins you are referring to is Eric Perkins (also KARE-11 Sports Director).

Correct

Riverbrian
08-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Riverbrian, with ESPN1500 the Twins actually had the best of both worlds. They were paid $1M/yr for the broadcast rights plus the got the in game ad revenue.

What they are hoping to do by switching is to increase the audience for their own station.

I know... The Pohlads have obviously determined that this better for them.

They could have made this move a couple of years ago I believe and chose not to. Times have changed.

The Twins will increase the ratings on KTWN... That is what I'm saying. They have 30 year old Barbara who listens during non twins broadcast times and now they can add 55 year old Bob during the games. This increases the overall ratings even if the ratings during Twins Dayparts are down. However, according to Arbitron, the Twins are doing fairly well with audience levels.

With Bob and Barbara working together. They have increased their overall cume from Monday to Sunday and those increased ratings can turn around and be pitched for more money and now you have a radio station that is billing higher and that goes into the Pohlads Pocket. Therefore the Pohlads have determined that they will make more cash this way as opposed to selling the rights and keeping the in game ad revenue.

It's a smart move because KTWN has been struggling a bit lately. The worst thing they can try to do... Is try to put together a format that Twins Fans will enjoy all day long. They will be better off playing a different format and collecting new cume during Twins Broadcast Hours.

BrentMpls
08-14-2012, 03:57 PM
I'll be very interested to see if they switch formats. The Twins have had their own "radio network" for several years now, though it had very limited programming - mostly just Sunday afternoons and Twins games. I wonder if they kick that up a notch now.

Yeah it will be pretty interesting - 1500 definitely had the most baseball talk on it in town, but having officially branded Twins content would be neat. The Ron Gardenhire show was fun.

nokomismod
08-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I think there is some risk to this move too. When you have a semi independent station covering the team, fans tend to stick around that station before and after the game. The team gets more talk which is good for the ownership and their affiliate. I can see 1500 and kfan not spending as much time on the Twins after the switch.

Riverbrian
08-14-2012, 04:31 PM
I think there is some risk to this move too. When you have a semi independent station covering the team, fans tend to stick around that station before and after the game. The team gets more talk which is good for the ownership and their affiliate. I can see 1500 and kfan not spending as much time on the Twins after the switch.

That would be a big mistake on 1500 and KFAN... If they remain Sports formatted stations... Not talking about the Twins would be like not playing AC/DC on a Classic Rock station. All of the programmers for all stations should know that.

The Twins are a nice 25-54 Men audience draw... KTWN should find a non sports format that complements that demographic. Going Sports will be the third sports and will throw away the increased cume possibility. They won't get the increased ratings that way and therefore the increased revenue.

Classic Rock?

twinswon1991
08-14-2012, 04:35 PM

He'll still be on the air, he just won't be obligated to butter up the Twins organization at every opportunity.

Macky is horrible. Good riddance.

fatbeer
08-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Macky is easily tolerable if you had no option but KFAN for 15 years. I'm still waiting for the first time Paul Allen comes up with an intelligent thought that he didn't steal from someone else.

Brock Beauchamp
08-14-2012, 07:03 PM
I can see 1500 and kfan not spending as much time on the Twins after the switch.

All the better for Twins Daily.

This state's baseball coverage is abominable (especially when you consider how successful the team was for a decade). Part of the idea behind this site is to provide the Twins coverage that the team has been lacking all these years.

TheLeviathan
08-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Macky is easily tolerable if you had no option but KFAN for 15 years. I'm still waiting for the first time Paul Allen comes up with an intelligent thought that he didn't steal from someone else.

Tony Bruno approves.

I'd argue sports coverage around here in general is very, very weak. Very few people on the air that have anything but a cursory understanding of the sports world.

powrwrap
08-14-2012, 07:30 PM
I wonder what ESPN1500 does now?

I think they die a slow death. I completely abandoned KFAN, aka the Vikings and Wolves shills, when KSTP 1500 went to sports talk.

I wonder if KTWN would try to hire away some of 1500's personalities? Anybody know the status of Reusse, Soucheray, Pellisero, Zulgad, etc. contracts? I suppose there is a no-compete clause that would cause a time out for these guys before they could switch over to KTWN. For that matter how long is KSTP's contract with ESPN?

Riverbrain, I just don't see a music format on KTWN for 20 hours and then the Twins game for 4 hours on game days. I think they have to go to sports talk.

fatbeer
08-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Soucheray seems really close to retirement and Reusse is only going to work until he dies and I have a feeling he has himself in death pool. After that the station is just old KFAN sidekicks who are great in that role or when the main host takes a day off, but don't really work 5 days a week. There's room in the middle of the day for political talk, but going against Rush Limbaugh that probably will never happen. Nobody will ever live up to Soucheray in Reusse in their prime. They were the last ones to have a decent sense when people cared and when people would rather hear about the prior nights dog walk or dinner Reusse coming in on the 4th of July because of a hockey story was classic. 2 sports stations in this town could have worked, but the last two years of sports made it real tough.

John Bonnes
08-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm interested in how KSTP adapts, but I'm really interested to see what KTWN does. I don't know how a rock station and a baseball station will mesh. It sure doesn't seem to have a lot of synergy. And after firing TFly, I wonder if they're looking to go in a different direction.

They could be a radio version of TwinsDaily if they wanted. Anapologetic sports talk with a focus on baseball even during the offseaon. How about broadcasting some AFL games in the fall? Lots of spring training coverage? Winter meetings talk?

Seth Stohs
08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
1500espn will be fine. I'm a big fan of Reusse. He's good, and I enjoy his knowledge of this Twins organization and its history. I think that Mackey is terrific. He may not respect all bloggers all the time, and that's fine, but he is a very hard worker, knows the game, knows the personnel, gets a lot of first-hand information. He's good. I think Judd Zulgad's move to radio has been tremendous. I really enjoy listening to him. He and Joe Anderson talk too much hockey for me, but that's ok. Tom Pelissero is the best on the Vikings beat in my opinion. I don't think anyone (other than possibly Paul Allen) does more than Tom, and I also think that he is a terrific host. Finally, Doogie Wolfson is another very hard worker. He knows so many people already in town, especially around the Gophers. They're sports people are tremendous, regardless of what any rankings may say. I can't listen to Soucheray or the national stuff, I guess.

Other than PA, I can't listen to anyone on KFAN. Well, I guess I keep listening to Gleeman and the Geek every Sunday, including the podcast... except when they have me on, of course.

Mauerzy4Prez
08-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Pohlads own KTWN?

Pius Jefferson
08-14-2012, 11:17 PM
They do own KTWN. I believe one story mentioned the family wanting to sell the station. That might have changed with them airing Twins games. If that offer was still on the table could it be possible for Hubbard to buy a share of the station? They could move some or all of the on-air talent and turn KTWN into ESPN 96.3.

lecroy24fan
08-14-2012, 11:39 PM
As someone who cannot receive even a decent signal from 1500 living in Minneapolis, I am happy that I'll be able to listen to games on the radio again.

Riverbrian
08-15-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm interested in how KSTP adapts, but I'm really interested to see what KTWN does. I don't know how a rock station and a baseball station will mesh. It sure doesn't seem to have a lot of synergy. And after firing TFly, I wonder if they're looking to go in a different direction.

They could be a radio version of TwinsDaily if they wanted. Anapologetic sports talk with a focus on baseball even during the offseaon. How about broadcasting some AFL games in the fall? Lots of spring training coverage? Winter meetings talk?

It doesn't have to mesh and it probably shouldn't.

Who knows what management comes up with on KWTN. They may believe that the Twins broadcasts are a portal into a sports format but the reality is that Sports formats are not ratings gold... Even with no direct competition. Becoming the third sports format is ratings death... Even with the Twins games on your signal.

The combined ratings of both Sports formats don't add up to the ratings of one KEEY or one KDWB or one KQRS. Not even close,

KWTN is low rated to begin with... Entering the Sports arena and competing against two other formats ranked 13 and 15 (12 plus)overall in the Twins Cities market isnt very bright. They may well just do that but it wouldn't be bright.

The Twins on a music format or News Talk format... Anything besides sports gives them the possibility of combining two different sets of listeners and this increases cume.

Cume X TSL divided by Total quarter hours is how you calculate AQH(Average Quarter Hours). AQH is then divided against the market total and that is how you get the radio share(ratings).

The formula isn't important for you to know but... In a nutshell... If you want to increase your ratings. You can increase your cume(the number of listeners who tune in) or increase your TSL((time spent listening)how often they tune in or how long they tune in)... And of course increasing both cume and TSL will certainly move your ratings needle and that's called a home run.

In a competitive major market like the Twin Cities... Increasing TSL is a hard thing to do because there are so many radio choices. Increasing cume is also hard but easier because cume is shared from station to station. Very few listeners... Listen to one station only.

So if you focus on the cume. Think of it this way. A large percentage of KFAN and 1500's audience... (Sports fans) are soon to sharing their cume with KTWN because of the Twins. Currently there is (most likely) a very small percentage of cume sharing happening between KFAN and KTWN... Or KQRS with KTWN for that matter.

So KTWN has just increased their cume big time with this one move and they dont have to change format. They will get the music cume and the Sports cume. It doesn't matter if the music cume goes away when the Twins come on... They are already in the book. Marked down. It doesn't matter if the Sports fan goes away when the music comes on. They will also be marked down.

By broadcasting the Twins on a different format. They get both. The Twins will also provide something a struggling station needs... Traffic through the door. Traffic that will become aware of what the station is doing when they are not broadcasting the Twins. That's nice advertisement for a product with a horrible 1.4 share in the latest PPM. A 1.4 share suggests that a large number of people don't know what they are doing right now.

If they switch to a sports format or all Twins all the time... All they will be doing is cycling through the same guy or gal for sports and the Twins and your cume increase will be less and therefore lower ratings and lower revenue and the whole idea is to increase revenue for the station. Otherwise they would simply stay with the sweet deal that 1500 delivers. A million plus ad revenue.

It doesn't have to mesh. Now weather current programming at KWTN or the Pohlads see this and think this way is another matter. There are radio people in charge... Believe it or not... who don't understand how Arbitron ratings work.

John Bonnes
08-15-2012, 09:25 AM
From the announcement this morning, Dave St. Peter said that KSTP will still be caring ancillary Twins programming, like the Ron Gardenhire Show and Inside Twins. So it sounds like KTWN is sticking with the rock format and KSTP is sticking with sports for now.

It's kinds of double hit for Hubbard. Not only do they lose the Twins for their sports station, but they gain a much more serious competitor for KS95.

Riverbrian
08-15-2012, 09:53 AM
From the announcement this morning, Dave St. Peter said that KSTP will still be caring ancillary Twins programming, like the Ron Gardenhire Show and Inside Twins. So it sounds like KTWN is sticking with the rock format and KSTP is sticking with sports for now.

It's kinds of double hit for Hubbard. Not only do they lose the Twins for their sports station, but they gain a much more serious competitor for KS95.

Remaining a music format makes sense. However, I would be surprised if they remain a Hot AC format. They will need a format that Compliments... Augments the Twins listener demo. I'm not sure a female based format does that.

BrentMpls
08-15-2012, 10:35 AM

Macky is horrible. Good riddance.

FWIW he just tweeted that you will get a 'whole lot more' of the R&M show next march and that he still plans on going to ft myers

BrentMpls
08-15-2012, 10:39 AM
And after firing TFly, I wonder if they're looking to go in a different direction.

That is what he was quoted as saying after being let go in the article I linked in the other thread

BrentMpls
08-15-2012, 10:46 AM
From the announcement this morning, Dave St. Peter said that KSTP will still be caring ancillary Twins programming, like the Ron Gardenhire Show and Inside Twins.

He tweeted "Excited to continue our partnership with @1500ESPN (https://twitter.com/1500ESPN) as the "Official home of Twins Talk" in 2013." - sounds like its a one year trial.

Kinda odd on Sunday to turn on the RGS on 1500 really early, then a few hours later turn to 96 on the other band.

Nick Nelson
08-15-2012, 11:29 AM
So KTWN is going to be actively sending listeners to a competing station for Twins programming outside of the games? How does this make sense?

Riverbrian
08-15-2012, 12:08 PM
The Short Answer is: Because Cume is Shared... No Sense in Fighting it. Listeners overwhelmingly do not listen to one radio station only. It's best to recognize that and then work on ways to attract new cume to your station. The key is to not worry about where the Twins Audience is going outside of the broadcasts. The Key is that they are coming over for the broadcasts which gives you cume that you didn't have with your music format. Now you get both and both sets of cume add up to the overall total.

Yes... There is a trade off because you lose out on listening occasions and that effects the other half of the formula(TSL). However, the majority of Twins games are broadcast during low level listening periods.(Nights). So it ends up being a great trade.

The other key is the current state of KTWN... It's a 1.4 share... that is terrible... They are desperate to find a footing somewhere. The Twins alone will not provide enough to get them into elite status but it can get them a solid jump start in a key demo... 25-54 Male.

That's why I expect a format switch toward a format that appeals to that demo. If they can reach Top 3 in that demo... It could lead to increase Agency Buys and a higher cost per point. IE... More Revenue.

BrentMpls
08-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Listeners overwhelmingly do not listen to one radio station only.

They do when they want a specific programming. Never have I heard of a situation where official programming was split between multiple stations. Sure you can tune into KFAN for minuscule amount of Twins coverage, WCCO for their coverage, and ESPN 1500 for their coverage, but you tune into ESPN 1500 for the Twins sanctioned programming. The games, the shows, etc.

Now it will be split. This isn't deciding if you want to listen to Dan Cole, Reusse & Mackey or Chad Hartman for their take and time devoted to topics, this is you dial jumping to get official Minnesota Twins programming. As far as I can remember, a first here in MN, and I haven't heard of that elsewhere.

The fact that this is only guaranteed through 2013 tells me this is a experiment, whatever the reasons.

Riverbrian
08-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Listeners overwhelmingly do not listen to one radio station only.

They do when they want a specific programming. Never have I heard of a situation where official programming was split between multiple stations. Sure you can tune into KFAN for minuscule amount of Twins coverage, WCCO for their coverage, and ESPN 1500 for their coverage, but you tune into ESPN 1500 for the Twins sanctioned programming. The games, the shows, etc.

Now it will be split. This isn't deciding if you want to listen to Dan Cole, Reusse & Mackey or Chad Hartman for their take and time devoted to topics, this is you dial jumping to get official Minnesota Twins programming. As far as I can remember, a first here in MN, and I haven't heard of that elsewhere.

The fact that this is only guaranteed through 2013 tells me this is a experiment, whatever the reasons.

The concept isn't new. Especially in NFL football. Here's a list. Not comprehensive... Not even close to comprehensive.

Dolphins football on Classic Rock WBGG
Ravens on Rock WIYY
Bengals on Rock WEBN
Browns on Rock WMMS
Steelers on Rock WDVE
Texans on Country KILT
Colts on Country WLHK
Chiefs on Classic Rock KCFX
Raiders on Modern Rock KITS
Chargers on Rock KIOZ
Packers on Top 40 WIXX
Falcons on Hot AC WSTR
Bucs on Countey WFUS

Now Football is one game a week as opposed to a full daily baseball schedule so from that standpoint it is somewhat unique.

But... Braves baseball is heard on flagship Classic Rock WNNX and many MLB teams broadcast to affiliates who are music formatted in rated markets. The Twins will be number two and if they get a ratings and revenue increase. More will come in the future. You can also find examples of NHL... NBA and College broadcasts on FM music stations. This train pulled out of the station quite some time ago.

Official Twins programming is not a format. It isn't even official. The Twins very smartly will accommodate the sports stations in town because they want and need top of the mind awareness and should provide it anytime and anywhere it is requested.

Twins programming wall to wall will not pay the bills. 1500 and KFAN are 13th and 15th in the market. The Twins are not their only topic. They need Twins Fans... Viking Fans... Gopher Fans... In the case of KFAN... They devote time to non sports and still don't come close to what KEEY, KDWB or KQRS does for audience levels.

There simply isn't enough of us Twins Freaks out there that want to hear about the Twins all day every day.

Also consider that MLB baseball is only 6 months year. You have to consider programming for the other 6 months. A game is only 4 hours a day out of 24. You need to consider programming for the other 20 hours. Once you consider that and consider that there are already two sports stations and they are low rated to boot. Becoming the third Sports station is a bad idea. You need a format that brings in bigger numbers and can do so... All day and all year.

Our Twins have become a strong supplement to other programming.

You have to jump around now and you will have to jump around in the future. The dream of a 24/7 Twins radio station would be an unworkable concept due to poor ratings unless its done on the Internet or a side channel.

Jeremy Nygaard
08-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Instead of having anything to do with 1500, they should just hire a bunch of us knuckleheads... I'll take an hour slot. Shouldn't be hard to divy up...

Of course, there might be a fight for who gets Gleeman and the Geek.

:)

nokomismod
08-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, that would garner a lot of ratings :)
Riverbrian, thanks for breaking this down. I learned about Cume and a lot more. You must work in the radio biz?
So, what format should KTWN throw down? Maybe "walk up" songs 20 hours a day?

Riverbrian
08-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah, that would garner a lot of ratings :)
Riverbrian, thanks for breaking this down. I learned about Cume and a lot more. You must work in the radio biz?
So, what format should KTWN throw down? Maybe "walk up" songs 20 hours a day?

I do

What Format? lol... I can't touch that one. I haven't seen enough data (demo breakdowns or research) to make that call nor would I do that for free if I did... lol ;)

My advice in this area has value!!! :p

Jeremy... I'd listen to Twins Daily Radio. I might even spend some time hanging with the Thrylos show. Hopefully, he will have plenty of callers to counter his points. The outlandish commenter has done quite well in the talk radio genre.

BrentMpls
08-15-2012, 07:10 PM
The concept isn't new. Especially in NFL football. Here's a list. Not comprehensive... Not even close to comprehensive.

Ravens on Rock WIYY
Bengals on Rock WEBN
Browns on Rock WMMS
Steelers on Rock WDVE
Texans on Country KILT
Colts on Country WLHK
Chargers on Rock KIOZ
Packers on Top 40 WIXX
Falcons on Hot AC WSTR
Bucs on Countey WFUS

That is fine and good, but I wasn't commenting on having the Twins games broadcast on a rock station - I was talking about how you will have to flip stations on Sundays to hear the manager show on AM 1500 and then to FM 96 for the game. I've never heard of having official programming split up like that.

Now having games broadcast on non-sports stations (in this case 'modern contemporary' or whatever the latest format for the struggling station is) is a whole 'nuther issue.

Also as you pointed out - football isn't baseball. Totally different and shouldn't be compared IMHO.

But... Braves baseball is heard on...

I hope the Braves aren't a model for anything - despite having past success Atlanta area is notorious for having a poor fan base and being a bad sports town in general. Too many transplants and transients.

You can also find examples of NHL... NBA and College broadcasts on FM music stations. This train pulled out of the station quite some time ago.

I'm sure it has - again not the issue I was talking about exactly. Also comparing other sports and other areas isn't apples to apples, but the times are a changin'. This is a first for this area.

Official Twins programming is not a format. It isn't even official. The Twins very smartly will accommodate the sports stations in town because they want and need top of the mind awareness and should provide it anytime and anywhere it is requested.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. I never called it a format. The manager show, the hot stove show, and all the other official sanctioned Minnesota Twins subsidiary programming occurs because of the Twins.

The main point I was trying to make is its pretty odd that you have to switch bands and stations to obtain programming from a single source.

Twins programming wall to wall will not pay the bills. 1500 and KFAN are 13th and 15th in the market. The Twins are not their only topic. They need Twins Fans... Viking Fans... Gopher Fans... In the case of KFAN... They devote time to non sports and still don't come close to what KEEY, KDWB or KQRS does for audience levels.

Sports talk never has been as popular as listening to music, by shoehorning games onto stations that do not provide sports talk for ratings will kill off sports talk on the radio. With the internet there are places like this that will become more and more important for sports fans to get their fix (as if they weren't already due to the quality of content) but losing it still sucks.

You have to jump around now and you will have to jump around in the future. The dream of a 24/7 Twins radio station would be an unworkable concept due to poor ratings unless its done on the Internet or a side channel.

Totally agree :(

Riverbrian
08-15-2012, 08:59 PM

Ravens on Rock WIYY
Bengals on Rock WEBN
Browns on Rock WMMS
Steelers on Rock WDVE
Texans on Country KILT
Colts on Country WLHK
Chargers on Rock KIOZ
Packers on Top 40 WIXX
Falcons on Hot AC WSTR
Bucs on Countey WFUS

That is fine and good, but I wasn't commenting on having the Twins games broadcast on a rock station - I was talking about how you will have to flip stations on Sundays to hear the manager show on AM 1500 and then to FM 96 for the game. I've never heard of having official programming split up like that.

Now having games broadcast on non-sports stations (in this case 'modern contemporary' or whatever the latest format for the struggling station is) is a whole 'nuther issue.

Also as you pointed out - football isn't baseball. Totally different and shouldn't be compared IMHO.

But... Braves baseball is heard on...

I hope the Braves aren't a model for anything - despite having past success Atlanta area is notorious for having a poor fan base and being a bad sports town in general. Too many transplants and transients.

You can also find examples of NHL... NBA and College broadcasts on FM music stations. This train pulled out of the station quite some time ago.

I'm sure it has - again not the issue I was talking about exactly. Also comparing other sports and other areas isn't apples to apples, but the times are a changin'. This is a first for this area.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. I never called it a format. The manager show, the hot stove show, and all the other official sanctioned Minnesota Twins subsidiary programming occurs because of the Twins.

The main point I was trying to make is its pretty odd that you have to switch bands and stations to obtain programming from a single source.

Sports talk never has been as popular as listening to music, by shoehorning games onto stations that do not provide sports talk for ratings will kill off sports talk on the radio. With the internet there are places like this that will become more and more important for sports fans to get their fix (as if they weren't already due to the quality of content) but losing it still sucks.

Totally agree :(

One thng is for sure... I've heard the signal is a little challenged but for those who can hear it. The broadcasts will sound fantastic... On FM... Cracks of Bats... Smacks of Gloves... A whole new sound quality for baseball.

As far as Sports Talk and the future. Who knows... There are a lotta signals... Some will end up Sports... Cuz you have to do something different with all of them. The hope is that National Syndication doesn't take over like it has in smaller markets to save on overhead.

benchwarmerjim
08-17-2012, 06:18 AM
One thng is for sure... I've heard the signal is a little challenged but for those who can hear it. The broadcasts will sound fantastic... On FM... Cracks of Bats... Smacks of Gloves... A whole new sound quality for baseball.

agreed. In Mankato, the long time Twins affiliate KTOE recently put up an FM simulcast of their AM station and listening to Twins game on the FM is awesome. The sound is crisp, it almost puts you at the ballpark.

While its no shock the Pohlads took the Twins to their own station, its somewhat shocking they are walking away from a sweetheart deal Hubbard was giving them ($1 mil per year, and the Twins kept all monies from advertising during the game).

Where I live, I can barely pick up 1500 (they need an affiliate network like what KFAN has) but I still listen to it more than I listen to the FAN.

ordinaryaveragefuy
08-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Howdy,new guy here.
Any news on outstate coverage? I travel all over the state and 'back in the day' it was so easy when the good neighbor had the games.
KSTP fades in and out even in Delano where I live.Constantly searching for stations when in the hinterlands is my only concern.

USAFChief
08-17-2012, 09:57 PM
It will be interesting to see what the Pohlads are paying the Pohlads for broadcast rights. The cynic in me thinks this is mostly about taking a little revenue out of the Twins stream and putting it in another asset's revenue stream.

Jim Crikket
08-17-2012, 10:33 PM
It will be interesting to see what the Pohlads are paying the Pohlads for broadcast rights. The cynic in me thinks this is mostly about taking a little revenue out of the Twins stream and putting it in another asset's revenue stream.

I'm not sure that's cynical at all. It may just be good business. If they can channel revenue from the Twins to their radio station, I suppose it could possibly affect where they stand in terms of revenue sharing, etc. Of course, it would also reduce the total revenue that they use to measure the "52%" from in order to establish a target payroll. But they wouldn't play that kind of game with their fanbase ;)