PDA

View Full Version : Goldstein on Berrios

gunnarthor
08-13-2012, 09:59 AM
I was going to put this on his adopt a prospect page but I couldn't find it, so I'll put it here.

Baseball prospectus' future shock on Berrios (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17991): "He wasn't a first-round pick in June, but he was the first pick right after it ended, going 31st overall and ending up just the sixth high school arm selected. He signed quickly for a $1.55 million bonus and he's looked nothing short of fantastic since taking the mound: 27 strikeouts and just seven hits allowed over 16 2/3 innings in the Gulf Coast League, adding four one-hit innings with five more whiffs on Saturday in his Appy League debut. Berrios is undersized at an even six feet tall, but he makes you forget about his size quickly with plus to plus-plus velocity coming out of one of those easy deliveries that makes it look like he's playing catch. He's flashed a good slider so far and has some feel for a changeup; the few pro scouts that have seen Berrios think the Twins may have really found something here."

I was hoping the Twins would grab Berrios before the draft. Should be fun to watch his development.

Ricola
08-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks, gunnarthor. That report made my morning.

MidwestMeat
08-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks, gunnarthor. That report made my morning.

Agreed, good article to start the work week.

I keep hearing about him being undersized and destined for blah blah blah but I don't think I've heard anyone talk up his smooth delivery which makes me feel even better about him. Excited to watch his progression.

Cody Christie
08-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Glad to see the Twins aren't holding back with promoting him either. He was dominant in the GCL and hopefully this with continue with the E-Twins as they push for the playoffs.