PDA

View Full Version : Jair Jurrjens

gunnarthor
08-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Atlanta might (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/non-tender-candidate-jair-jurrjens.html) non-tender the 26 year old former all star instead of paying him about 5.9m next year. The article mentions the Twins might be a team willing to make a trade this offseason for Jurrjens. Obviously, he's been horrible this year but he was pretty good in 08, 09 and 11 and is still young. He was never much of strike out pitcher and managed only 4.7 k/9 in AAA this year before being recalled and going on the DL. He's certainly not going to be an ace but, if it works out, he could be a good and cheap back of the rotation starter, good for 20 starts and 140 innings or so, as he pitches himself back into shape.

I think he'd be an interesting non-tender pick up but I probably wouldn't want to trade much for him and pay him nearly 6m.

diehardtwinsfan
08-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I dont' think the Twins need any more non-strikeout guys. Jurrjens did have a few good seasons in there, but that was NL and not exactly huge strike out rates. I'd rather them target guys who profile to be more than a back rotation starter.

gunnarthor
08-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I dont' think the Twins need any more non-strikeout guys. Jurrjens did have a few good seasons in there, but that was NL and not exactly huge strike out rates. I'd rather them target guys who profile to be more than a back rotation starter.

They can certainly do both though. 2m on Jurrjens is, in my opinion, a better idea than 3m on Marquis. And I'm not as concerned about the Twins pursuing "Twins way" pitchers as others. They're underrated and cheap. I don't know if Jurrjens will be able to pitch in the AL, it's a legitimate concern but if the Twins decide to buy low on him (presumably after discussing that issue) I wouldn't criticize them for it.

rickyhawaii
08-09-2012, 12:41 PM
seems like he's a candidate for tj surgery down the line? maybe breaking down like Webb or Sheets? I'd like the Twins to try and sign him though if he's non-tendered. maybe they will get lucky and maybe Jurrjens just needs better str and conditioning.

cr9617
08-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Sounds like another Nick Blackburn

nicksaviking
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
seems like he's a candidate for tj surgery down the line? maybe breaking down like Webb or Sheets? I'd like the Twins to try and sign him though if he's non-tendered. maybe they will get lucky and maybe Jurrjens just needs better str and conditioning.

Ha, just what the Twins are known for.

Rosterman
08-09-2012, 03:15 PM
You wait for him to be non-tendered. A team would be foolish to trade for him unless they truly believe he is worth $5+ million.

whydidnt
08-09-2012, 05:21 PM
I tend to agree that taking pitchers who are only marginally effective in the NL and moving them to the AL usually ends poorly. If the Twins took a shot at him for 2 Mil, I'd be fine with that as long it didn't preclude them from bringing in another legitimate starter to lead the staff. The problem is they'd probably figure he fills a spot in the rotation and they'd be done, just like they did with Marquis this year. Our track record and bringing these sorts of guys in and getting decent production out of them is pretty bad. Pavano is the only guy in recent memory that has provided much, but he was coming from the AL.

I know the difference in quality between the AL and NL isn't that huge, but it seems to make a big difference in fringe type guys like this.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-09-2012, 10:35 PM
I'd rather offer Jurrjens the token 1 year 2 mil contract instead of the next Ortiz/Marquis. Other than that I am not very interested.