PDA

View Full Version : Article: Twins vs Indians, 08-08-2012, 11:05am

Brock Beauchamp
08-08-2012, 09:41 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?896-Twins-vs-Indians-08-08-2012-11-05am&

Brock Beauchamp
08-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Twins:
Span CF
Revere RF
Mauer 1B
Willingham LF
Morneau DH
Doumit C
Nishioka 2B
Dozier SS
Casilla 3B
(Duensing P)

Indians:
Kipnis 2B
Cabrera SS
Choo RF
Santana DH
Brantley CF
Duncan LF
Marson C
Kotchman 1B
Lillibridge 3B
(Masterson P)

ShaeTwins
08-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Not sure if I should hope for another Nishi o-fer...at least then he'll play himself out of the bigs quicker.

RickSchuette
08-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I don't mean to go off-topic, but I haven't heard anyone raise this question yet, and certainly Bert and Dick in the booth aren't going to raise it...of what value is it to try to bring back Carl Pavano and Matt Capps for the remainder of the season. Neither will be with us next year and they will only take valuable starts/appearances away from pitchers we know we will want to look at next season. We certainly don't owe either of them anything in terms of helping them get a better contract offer over the off-season.

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Seriously, Dick, why would he get first base if he struck out when the ball hit him? Never in my life have I seen a catcher pick up the ball after it hit the batter and throw to first base to record an out.

I think it's debatable whether Span swung or not but the ruling isn't exactly debatable.

stringer bell
08-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Nice start Duensing! Shake it off and throw some zeroes!

Tcrose3636
08-08-2012, 11:25 AM
So is it safe to say if the Twins sweep the Indians in Cleveland, they will win the World Series? Last time the Twins swept Cleveland in Cleveland was '91...seem logical to me.

Shane Wahl
08-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I don't mean to go off-topic, but I haven't heard anyone raise this question yet, and certainly Bert and Dick in the booth aren't going to raise it...of what value is it to try to bring back Carl Pavano and Matt Capps for the remainder of the season. Neither will be with us next year and they will only take valuable starts/appearances away from pitchers we know we will want to look at next season. We certainly don't owe either of them anything in terms of helping them get a better contract offer over the off-season.

Like strangely using Brian Duensing in the starting rotation now when there's no way in hell any sane manager would do that next year?

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't know if there's any player I've ever despised as much as Nishioka.

ShaeTwins
08-08-2012, 11:42 AM

I guess the good news is that he may play himself out of the lineup defensively before he does offensively. This three game stretch has been some of the absolute worst baseball I've ever seen in my entire life (from Nishi, that is).

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 11:42 AM

I take that back. If the Twins were contending I'd hate him. As it is now he's kind of comical.

Ultima Ratio
08-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Is Nishi super nervous or horrible or both? Never in my life have I seen a major leaguer play defense like a tee-baller.

RickSchuette
08-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I doubt that Duensing is in their plans for the rotation next season. But finishing the season as a starter would improve his trade value over the off-season. That ship has sailed with Pavano...and Capps for that matter. Let Duensing and Blackburn try to get some sink back on their pitches and lower their ERA. They both know they're doubtful as far as staying in the rotation next year. Let them pitch their way off the bubble, either for the Twins or another team. Pavano will need three MLB starts just to stretch himself out to 6 innings. What value does that add to the Twins over the final six weeks of his contract?

Brock Beauchamp
08-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Ugh. Nishi, you're killing us.

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Duensing is essentially worthless if he can't even get lefties out.

Ultima Ratio
08-08-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm sorry but Duensing's ship has sailed as well. He can't get anyone out any more.

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Nishi caught a throw!!!!!

DPJ
08-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I know the Twins are at the bottom of the barrel for starts, but is there really no one else that can come up and take either Blackburn or Duensing's place in the rotation.

ShaeTwins
08-08-2012, 11:49 AM
I have a feeling that Blackburn will retain a spot as a starter just based on stubborn management refusing to cut him just based on the amount of cash he's making. Meh, the Twins won't contend next year at any rate, and if they are contending at any point, Blackburn will probably be having a decent year anyway.

Brock Beauchamp
08-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I know the Twins are at the bottom of the barrel for starts, but is there really no one else that can come up and take either Blackburn or Duensing's place in the rotation.

Cuellar better be working some serious black voodoo magic with Hendriks down in Rochester for him not to be on the Twins roster at this point.

USAFChief
Hey...all this complaining about Nishioka. The twins are undefeated with Nishioka in the lineup and averaging over 10 runs per game on offense!

GCTF
Nishi Scoreboard

Errors 3
Hits 0

Is there some kind of kamikaze mission he could be assigned to?

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Is Nishi super nervous or horrible or both? Never in my life have I seen a major leaguer play defense like a tee-baller.

What's the board policy on racist jokes as long as I'm not flying off the deep end?

I'll refrain from saying anything if it's frowned upon.

Ultima Ratio
Hey...all this complaining about Nishioka. The twins are undefeated with Nishioka in the lineup and averaging over 10 runs per game on offense!
Nishioka the Twins' talisman?

DPJ
Cuellar better be working some serious black voodoo magic with Hendriks down in Rochester for him not to be on the Twins roster at this point.

oH YEAH Liam...the teams top pitching prospect who's done nothing but pitch well at AAA. Should the Twins start him...no lets keep rolling out the rotting flesh of Duensing and ****ing Blackburn.

RickSchuette
08-08-2012, 11:57 AM
I suspect we are seeing the difference between a ball being hit to a second basemen at 90 mph in Japan, and 125 mph in America. The speed and power of the MLB game is clearly a flight or two over his head, something neither he nor the Twins thought would be the case. Unfortunately, he's been blessed with outfield speed, but cursed with a second baseman's arm. The Twins front office knows he isn't working out. I suspect they're letting him prove it to himself that he doesn't belong at this level. He isn't the first player to bust at the MLB level. Every team tries some things that don't work out.

Brock Beauchamp
08-08-2012, 11:58 AM
oH YEAH Liam...the teams top pitching prospect who's done nothing but pitch well at AAA. Should the Twins start him...no lets keep rolling out the rotting flesh of Duensing and ****ing Blackburn.

It seems to me as if they're working on something specific with Hendriks. He was sent down at an odd time and the organization has been mum about him since. It'd be nice if someone gave the fanbase an update on him.

Ultima Ratio
08-08-2012, 11:58 AM
What's the board policy on racist jokes as long as I'm not flying off the deep end?

I believe political correctness is a variety of censorship and different from racist jokes(which I think you ought not commit), but use you own best judgment I suppose.

DPJ
08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
It seems to me as if they're working on something specific with Hendriks. He was sent down at an odd time and the organization has been mum about him since. It'd be nice if someone gave the fanbase an update on him.

I would also like the Twins to come out and say something but JR would give you his first born before that happens.

Is it odd that the Twins think a prospect is better off working with the AAA pitching coach over Rick Anderson the god of teaching sink?

Ultima Ratio
08-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Got to make them pay here Doumit!

RickSchuette
08-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I suspect this may be Duensing's last start. Usually, the way these things go, the pitcher has a couple of poor outings in a row, then complains that he's been feeling 'tightness' in his shoulder. Next bullpen session between starts, the pitcher will admit feeling a 'twinge' and he'll be dumped on the DL. It's a pattern with Gardy and Anderson that goes back a few years.

GCTF
08-08-2012, 12:10 PM

We're comfortable with them. Let 'er rip.

DPJ
08-08-2012, 12:10 PM
I suspect this may be Duensing's last start. Usually, the way these things go, the pitcher has a couple of poor outings in a row, then complains that he's been feeling 'tightness' in his shoulder. Next bullpen session between starts, the pitcher will admit feeling a 'twinge' and he'll be dumped on the DL. It's a pattern with Gardy and Anderson that goes back a few years.

You forgot the player sitting on the active roster for 7-10 days, then atempting to pitch and getting rocked and then going on the DL.

diehardtwinsfan
08-08-2012, 12:18 PM
You forgot the player sitting on the active roster for 7-10 days, then atempting to pitch and getting rocked and then going on the DL.

And you forgot that they DL stint will be rest and rehab for a couple of months (and in this case through the offseason) followed by Tommy John and/or Labrum surgery.

:banghead:

Top Gun
08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Alexi!!

DPJ
08-08-2012, 12:26 PM
And you forgot that they DL stint will be rest and rehab for a couple of months (and in this case through the offseason) followed by Tommy John and/or Labrum surgery.

Then when they come back from surgery they'll have their toughness questioned by the teams front office and coaching staff (questioning will depend on the players service time)

Ultima Ratio
08-08-2012, 12:26 PM
:jump:Rally time!!!

stringer bell
08-08-2012, 12:41 PM
4-2 Tribe, top of the 6th, we've got 'em right where we want 'em!

JB_Iowa
08-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Nish-ventures. It's hopeless.

notoriousgod71
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Nishi, you're killing me!

ShaeTwins
Oh my God. This is like a comedy routine. Nishi almost tripping over the bag. Any play that involves him is bound to be a disaster. How is that dropped fly not charged an error, by the way?

Ultima Ratio
08-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Oh my golly!!!!!!:s-chainsaw:

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 12:50 PM
All I can say is I wish Nishioka would have been able to play in the Dome. That would have been classic.

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
And another!!!!

kydoty
I just got home and didn't see the play. Was it hilarious?

Top Gun
Enough is enough already.

ShaeTwins
08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
That's three in a row, good grief!

Brock Beauchamp
08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
I think I could field second as well as Nishioka. This is embarrassing.

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 12:53 PM
I just got home and didn't see the play. Was it hilarious?

Which one?

But yes, all four have been hilarious.

Ultima Ratio
08-08-2012, 12:53 PM
No error for Nishi on the pop up and now more spectacular defense. I'm afraid that if we don't get this guy out of the game, out of MLB baseball, he may commit seppuku (honor kill himself by disemboweling)

ShaeTwins
08-08-2012, 12:54 PM
This is the absolute worst fielding performance I've ever seen in my life. If I never see Nishioka take the field again it will be too soon.

stringer bell
08-08-2012, 12:56 PM
OK, I'm "watching" on GameDay. I just presumed Nishioka screwed up on the fielder's choice. How bad was the inning?

stringer bell
08-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Sounds like it is bad. Is it worthy of pulling right now and putting Carroll in?

RickSchuette
We'll get to their bullpen, then turn this game around. Despite the whining about the Twins record, this is a very entertaining team and the lineup is starting to get some national recognition. Far, far better chance to win than last year's team, which was like watching your dog die. The team is fast, already shaping up better for Target Field and large ballparks on the road. We still need an everyday second baseman. Any other day-to-day holes in the infield can be patched by keeping Jamie Carroll. Keep the top half of the line up together, retain Baker or add another solid starter on the front end and finalize the roles for Burton and Perkins on the back end. The players are in place, but the roles still need to be set. This team will continue to be far more entertaining than Reusse, Souhan and other whoa-is-us media types will admit.

ShaeTwins
Bert just condemned Nishioka on air. "I think this three game series is an indication of what the Twins have to do [with Nishioka]."

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Sounds like it is bad. Is it worthy of pulling right now and putting Carroll in?

It's worthy of pulling him and putting LeCroy in at second.

kydoty
08-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Is Japanese baseball really that different from the rest of the world where you all of a sudden forget how to handle routine defensive plays that your average high school infielder can accomplish?

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Bert just condemned Nishioka on air. "I think this three game series is an indication of what the Twins have to do [with Nishioka]."

I heard that and was shocked. And it wasn't even in the middle of anything, he just opened the half inning by saying this.

It's the most scathing thing I've ever heard a Twins announcer say about a Twins actual baseball skills.

Winston Smith
08-08-2012, 01:00 PM
The Cleveland radio guys are beside themselves with how bad Nishioka is. Those guys have to watch the Indians every day so they know bad when they see it.

DPJ
08-08-2012, 01:03 PM

This might be the best thing DickBert has said on the air since "You got dick on your shirt"

BrentMpls
Bert very straight forwardly, and Dick supporting, just said that Nishioka shouldn't be in the big leagues.

Ultima Ratio
If I were a second baseman in the Twins organization being blocked by this ass clown I would be red hot furious.

stringer bell
08-08-2012, 01:04 PM
It's worthy of pulling him and putting LeCroy in at second.When I asked the question, I thought about referencing when FRobby pulled LeCroy in the middle of an inning because the opponents were abusing him by stealing bases.

J-Dog Dungan
You know, just watching Nishi be so horrible makes me wish that statisticians could charge ERA to an infielder; cause I think Nishi would have an ERA around infinity minus.

PopRiveter
It's worthy of pulling him and putting LeCroy in at second.
How about Dennys Reyes? Jim Abbott would have more trustworthy hand(s) at second. Troy Williamson available to play second?

DPJ
08-08-2012, 01:05 PM
I think Choo likes facing Duensing.

JB_Iowa
Serious question: Do they honestly think they can put Nishioka on the field at TF?

Wouldn't expect Cleveland fans to boo him - why would they? But I can't see a very good reaction from Twins fans to his performance the last 3 days (despite the wins).

notoriousgod71
How about Dennys Reyes? Jim Abbott would have more trustworthy hand(s) at second. Troy Williamson available to play second?

Ten rep points on this!

Winston Smith
08-08-2012, 01:06 PM
This is so bad I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy, if he wasn't making 3 mil a year I would.

stringer bell
08-08-2012, 01:06 PM
So, in reality has Nishioka cost Duensing four runs? Sounds like it to me.

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 01:07 PM
You know, just watching Nishi be so horrible makes me wish that statisticians could charge ERA to an infielder; cause I think Nishi would have an ERA around infinity minus.

I'd settle for charging him with errors every time he F's up instead of generously awarding doubles and FC.

ShaeTwins
08-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Serious question: Do they honestly think they can put Nishioka on the field at TF?

Wouldn't expect Cleveland fans to boo him - why would they? But I can't see a very good reaction from Twins fans to his performance the last 3 days (despite the wins).

I'm actually interested to see how he reacts to the inevitable boos...will he need his translator to tell him what it means?

In all seriousness, I do feel sorry for Nishioka, but if you can't cut it, you can't cut it...

J-Dog Dungan
08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah, he has cost Duensing all 4 runs not scored in the 1st innings. He has looked lost, made showboat plays when he didn't need to, and lost a ball in the sun and then started walking away from it after it hit the ground. The only good play he made was on a double play ball from Casilla in the 5th inning, and Mauer had to use some skill to keep it from going by him.

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm actually interested to see how he reacts to the inevitable boos...will he need his translator to tell him what it means?

In all seriousness, I do feel sorry for Nishioka, but if you can't cut it, you can't cut it...

I kind of imagine we're witnessing what it would look like if the Twins randomly put me in the field.

BrentMpls
08-08-2012, 01:12 PM

My assumption has always been that he would be gone once Plouffe is healed up, which is supposed to be Friday. They needed to fill a hole, and perhaps also emphasis that this guy shouldn't be here, which I think the latter point has been driven home pretty well sadly.

adjacent
08-08-2012, 01:13 PM

Who says you can't cut him? It cost money, but you can. They did it with that awuful third baseman (I can't remember his name now)

Ultima Ratio
08-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Revere's hitting streak ends on a play where he was safe on a close play. Come on blue!

ShaeTwins
08-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Who says you can't cut him? It cost money, but you can. They did it with that awuful third baseman (I can't remember his name now)

You misread me...cut it, not him. Nishioka has proved for almost two years now that he can't cut it, but I don't need to tell you that, I'm sure. As for cutting him, hopefully the front office realizes that this is a good idea.

stringer bell
08-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Again, I haven't seen any of today's game and I missed the Nishioka follies on Monday, but if it's half as bad as the board is reporting, he should never wear a Twins uni again. It is supposed to be the best players you have and the team shouldn't have an A-ball player out there just to prove a point (or something). Nishioka was terrible last year and I hoped I would never see him play for the Twins again, but to repeat and intensify the same thing is an affront to the fans.

J-Dog Dungan
Any chance the Twins could lobby to have the Ben Revere play changed to a hit, but not change the game score? Long shot, but I want Revere to keep the hit streak going.

kydoty

Plouffe should be back by Friday, so it's likely Nishioka won't have to endure that.

GCTF
08-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Nicely done!

Jim Abbott:D

JB_Iowa
08-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I expect Plouffe to be back but I'll admit that I was a little disheartened by his comments last night about how much the thumb still hurts.

ShaeTwins
08-08-2012, 01:28 PM
This is my last bash of Nishioka for the day...Having Nishi at 2B makes Dozier look like a gold glover at SS. Just sayin! :rolleyes:

EDIT: And one more thing, I would have been lying if I said I didn't expect Nishi to ground into a double play there...guess I was wrong!

PopRiveter
08-08-2012, 01:32 PM
c'mon boys, get Revere 1 more shot!

mini_tb
08-08-2012, 01:33 PM
This is my last bash of Nishioka for the day...Having Nishi at 2B makes Dozier look like a gold glover at SS. Just sayin! :rolleyes:

Makes Dozier look like a deity with better defense than Ozzie Smith might be more like it...

notoriousgod71
08-08-2012, 01:34 PM
How is Nishioka not the player of the game?

jokin
08-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Did anyone catch Duesnsing resorting to Primal Scream Therapy into his mitt at the end of the 6th?

I think that was the moment that Bert broke his silence, mentioning in the top of the 7th that he had to defend the pitchers and state what the score "really" was.

snepp
08-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Looks like I missed a "good" one.

diehardtwinsfan
08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Then when they come back from surgery they'll have their toughness questioned by the teams front office and coaching staff (questioning will depend on the players service time)

That usually happens when they are coming back from their rest and rehab too...

stringer bell
08-08-2012, 02:23 PM
How is Nishioka not the player of the game?For the Native Americans.