PDA

View Full Version : A tough stretch for the Twins

Brock Beauchamp
08-06-2012, 08:06 AM
From the All-Star break through the end of August, the Twins only get three days off. That's 47 games in 50 days. Brutal.

Interestingly enough, the Twins have been playing pretty well during that stretch. In the first 23 games, they're 11-12 (losing record mainly due to their complete collapse and 1-5 record against the White Sox) and since the break, are 20th in ERA and 13th in WHIP. Offensively, they're 14th in OPS and runs since the AS break. Not anything to write home about but far less awful than they were earlier in the season. Smoke and mirrors, sure... But at least there's a glimmer of hope buried in there somewhere.

Anyway, I just thought that stretch was brutal (I only noticed because it seems as if I never get a break from creating game threads lately) and that overall, the Twins have held it together pretty well, all considering.

stringer bell
08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
What's the home/road breakdown in those 47 games? So far, the Twins have actually played better on the road, but I have to believe that will improve at home vs. on the road. You are pointing out that the Twins are about an average team since the break. One might say they've been about average since early May. I am in the camp that the club isn't that far away. They need to get lucky with a couple pitchers (Scott Diamond II and III?) and they could be in the thick of the race as soon as next year. I picked the Twins to win 80-85 games this year and the only thing that kept them from being in that neighborhood is the complete and utter failure of the five projected starters.

Brock Beauchamp
08-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I think I predicted them more in the 75-ish win range for this season. After the first two months, I thought that was going to be impossible but they've righted the ship somewhat. If they hit 72-74 wins, they've done pretty well for themselves.

J-Dog Dungan
08-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Especially if they win this series, they will have creeped closer to being in 3rd place, and I don't think anyone would have predicted that they could get out of the cellar after the start that they had, but the starting pitching, except for Nick Blackburn, has been one of the bright points for the Twins over this streak that they are putting together.

stringer bell
08-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I think I predicted them more in the 75-ish win range for this season. After the first two months, I thought that was going to be impossible but they've righted the ship somewhat. If they hit 72-74 wins, they've done pretty well for themselves..500 ball the rest of the way would give them 74 wins. Somewhere between 74 and 80 wins sounds doable. If a regular is traded they probably would have a hard time getting to 75. What's really important is setting up 2013 and beyond.