PDA

View Full Version : Danny Valencia Traded to the Red Sox

mikeee
08-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Has been traded to the Red Sox according to the radio just now!

neky0801
08-05-2012, 01:18 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/red-sox-acquire-danny-valencia-from-the-twins.html

Scheherezade
08-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Just mentioned on FSN as well.

greengoblinrulz
08-05-2012, 01:22 PM
wow you guys are quick....look up this Pineda guy

kydoty
08-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Must have enough confidence that Plouffe will continue his progression as a hitter.

Thrylos
08-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Jeremias Pineda is a 21 Dominican OF (playing in a league of 18 and 19 year olds) who is pretty much in the Mastroianni/Revere mold. Second season in the GCL, split last season between the DSL and GCL. Was signed by the Red Sox in March of 2011 so he is a late bloomer, thus the delay.

We shall see

NorthwestTwinsFan
08-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Twins get a solid return, too. This is exactly the kind of move they needed to make....consider this at least some redemption for Terry Ryan.

Scheherezade
08-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Pineda looks like a high average slappy singles hitter with speed.

greengoblinrulz
08-05-2012, 01:28 PM
not gonna play CF w/Buxton in GCL. Promote Byron

greengoblinrulz
08-05-2012, 01:32 PM
So Pineda, Buxton, Jimmenez, Keplar & Walker are all gonna be in Beloit next yr??

Thrylos
08-05-2012, 01:34 PM
So Pineda, Buxton, Jimmenez, Keplar & Walker are all gonna be in Beloit next yr??

There is E-town in between :) Pineda might be in the Twins A team (probably not Beloit - Kepler and Walker too) before the others

Shane Wahl
08-05-2012, 01:35 PM
I like this. With the potential collapse of Angel Morales and doubts about Danny Ortiz, this is a nice move. It will be interesting to see Pineda when he gets to Beloit (hopefully right away, with a Nate Roberts promotion).

USAFChief
08-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Twins get a solid return, too. This is exactly the kind of move they needed to make....consider this at least some redemption for Terry Ryan.

I have a hard time considering a 21 yr old playing in the GCL as "a solid return."

I think this was more about getting rid of Danny Valencia than getting anything useful in return.

Geez they must have really, really hated Valencia. Can't really say I blame them for that sentiment. He's appears pretty easy to dislike.

greengoblinrulz
08-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Buxton wont be in ELIZ next yr.....now he may not join Beloit at start of yr, ala Hicks/Revere.
Jimmenez/Pineda will both be 22 next yr...they will be in Beloit.

snepp
08-05-2012, 01:37 PM
5 walks in 150 trips to the plate, niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

nicksaviking
08-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Seems like a strange acquisition for both sides.

CharacterGroove
A move that's good for Valencia and the Twins. I wish him luck and hope gets a shot in Boston.

So, is Hicks going to get Valencia's 40-man spot?

Shane Wahl
I forgot about JD Williams' struggles as well. This is good to get something of value for Valencia, even though I am sure everyone would have preferred a similarly located pitcher.

Now can someone claim Casilla? Pretty please?

USAFChief
5 walks in 150 trips to the plate, niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

You can't walk your way off the island, y'know.

Shane Wahl
08-05-2012, 01:40 PM
A move that's good for Valencia and the Twins. I wish him luck and hope gets a shot in Boston.

There are going to be a number of empty 40-man spots available after this season. Florimon might be the direct beneficiary of this move (the Twins adding both Nishi and Florimon for September makes more sense now).

nokomismod
08-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Anyone think Danny will become productive again? I don't think so, but curious what others think.

notoriousgod71
08-05-2012, 01:41 PM
I have a hard time considering a 21 yr old playing in the GCL as "a solid return."

I think this was more about getting rid of Danny Valencia than getting anything useful in return.

Geez they must have really, really hated Valencia. Can't really say I blame them for that sentiment. He's appears pretty easy to dislike.

Especially one that hit .188 last season in rookie ball.

Let's continue to discard any player with a personality so our Twins Way Machine can roll on.

Shane Wahl
08-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Seems like a strange acquisition for both sides.

I don't think so. Certainly not for the Twins. And I can see the Red Sox viewing Valencia and the Green Monster favorably.

Shane Wahl
08-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Let's continue to discard any player with a personality so our Twins Way Machine can roll on.

With personality? No, Valencia has no place on the Twins roster. The move is good for both Valencia and the Twins.

notoriousgod71
08-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Anyone think Danny will become productive again? I don't think so, but curious what others think.

At any rate I'm sure he'll be more productive than the guy we got back.

Shane Wahl
08-05-2012, 01:52 PM
At any rate I'm sure he'll be more productive than the guy we got back.

Do you think he would have been productive for the Twins? That is the appropriate question.

Shane Wahl
08-05-2012, 01:53 PM
The past hatred for Valencia and the current hatred around here of trading Valencia for an OF prospect is pretty funny.

fatbeer
08-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Valencia only sees the majors again as a September call-up, he has less then 100 non september at bats left in his career.

CharacterGroove
08-05-2012, 01:54 PM
There are going to be a number of empty 40-man spots available after this season. Florimon might be the direct beneficiary of this move (the Twins adding both Nishi and Florimon for September makes more sense now).

I'm referring to this year. I'm curious why you think the Twins would add Florimon to the 40-man before Sept. 1st. With the summer Hicks is having, I would think they'd want to give him a taste of the Show before he competes for a spot next spring. But I'm not going off anything I've read.

greengoblinrulz
08-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Twins already are at 39guys on 40 man roster w/3 on the 60 day DL. Walters pitched yesterday & is gonna have to come off as will Pavano (pitching 2 innings TUE in GCL).....meaning 2 guys will have to be DFAd for them in a couple wks.
Florimon is a 6yr FA after yr, so he needs to be protected or lost. Dont know what the Escobar trade means for him tho.
Hicks/Hermann/Hermsen/Gibson are all up for Rule V while DRomero/JPinto are also 6 yr FA's (dont know if they'd be protected, but...)

Thrylos
08-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Ok. Pineda is 21 (and will be 22 the coming November) but he just signed a pro contract March of 2011. The reason he has been in the GCL was probably mostly for getting him used to the US, among other things, because that is where the Red Sox (and the Twins) are getting their foreign players.

I did a mini scouting report of Pineda here (http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/2012/08/mini-scouting-report-of-twins-jeremias.html), if you care.

etspaceman
08-05-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't see how it's possible to dislike this trade. Considering Valencia has little-to-no trade value, and the fact that Valencia wasn't going to be a starter here, getting a guy that's hitting .421/.534/.981 in the rookie leagues right now is a pretty good return.

notoriousgod71
08-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Do you think he would have been productive for the Twins? That is the appropriate question.

Not up to his 2010 standards, but he's certainly better than he's shown this year.

Yeah, he probably wouldn't have been productive here. Tough to be when you're in Gardy's doghouse.

JB_Iowa
08-05-2012, 01:58 PM
I don't have a problem with the move -- Valencia's days in Minnesota were numbered anyway. Hopefully Pineda has enough potential upside to justify trading away someone who, at best, might be a ML journeyman but it sounds like that is "iffy" (not to mention the whole question of whether Pineda is really 21 playing in an 18 and 19 years old dominated league or whether he may be more like 22 or 23 playing there -- I'm so skeptical about everyone from the Dominican).

I DO have a problem with Dick-Bert talking like the prospect is the 2nd coming and failing to mention (at least as far as heard) just how many steps away from the bigs the GCL is.

jm3319
08-05-2012, 01:59 PM
but does this organization need any more slappy, singles hitting outfield prospects? (as someone described him earlier) or can he actually hit for some power?

nokomismod
08-05-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't. I think we saw enough to know his defense and hitting were both below average. Maybe it's in him somewhere to be a better player, but the Twins gave him plenty of chances.

Mchans24
08-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Must have enough confidence that Plouffe will continue his progression as a hitter.

Or enough confidence that Valencia will continue being A-Rod with No talent. Worst swing in baseball!

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 02:02 PM
PER Mlbtrade rumors.

The Red Sox have acquired third baseman Danny Valencia (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/valenda01.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker) from the Twins for minor league outfielder Jeremias Pineda (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker&id=pineda000jer), both teams have announced. Valencia will report to Triple-A Pawtucket while Pineda will report to the Gulf Coast League Twins.

Valencia has strugged this season hitting .198/.212/.310 in two tours with the Twins. He has also played 69 games for Triple-A Rochester batting .250/.289/.399. Valencia, originally selected by the Twins in the 19th round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, had an impressive Major League rookie season in 2010 with a slash line of .311/.351/.448, but has seen his numbers drop steadily since.
Pineda is a 21-year-old outfielder from the Dominican Republic who has never played above Rookie ball. Pineda, a switch-hitter, is leading the Gulf Coast League in batting (.421). Over his two professional seasons in the Red Sox organization, Pineda has a slash line of .321/.380/.423 in 70 games between the Dominican Summer League Red Sox and the GCL.

jffrsnclrk
08-05-2012, 02:03 PM
I can't help but think this move is a little risky. It is not like Danny was horrible when he was sent back down to AAA, and the Twins seems to have a plethora of outfielders like this Pineda fellow. At the very least, in the short term it certainly hurts the Twins depth. But, y'ah know, maybe it will be worth it in the long term, we shall see.

JB_Iowa
08-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the mini-scouting report Thrylos.

JB_Iowa
08-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know why he didn't sign a pro contract until he was 20 (or almost 20)?

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Trade makes a ton of sense for the Twins, with the emergence of Plouffe they had no need for Valencia and he most likely would have been cut after the season as well.

It's disappointing that Valencia started playing this horribly this year, really thought we had our 3rd baseman of the future a couple years ago, but the Twins certainly gave him his chances and he simply doesn't hit enough to justify his mediocre defense at 3rd base.

Pineda intrigues me because he is young and apparently can hit and has some speed. Nice to get a decent upside (long ways away) guy for Valencia instead of some AAAA retread.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 02:06 PM
edit sorry didn't see the other thread, please lock up?

Brock Beauchamp
08-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Good. I don't even really care what the Twins got in return. It was time to clear Danny off the 40 man. It was clear he had no future with Minneosta.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 02:11 PM

Career .321/.380/.423 hitter, plus he has shown a significant improvement this year.

The Twins weren't getting anything great in return for Valencia, and he wasn't going to be around next year most likely. Good riddance. At least we got someone who could be projectible.

USAFChief
08-05-2012, 02:12 PM
The past hatred for Valencia and the current hatred around here of trading Valencia for an OF prospect is pretty funny.

I don't see a lot of hatred of the trade in the thread.

The question is whether you can call Pineda "an OF prospect."

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I can't help but think this move is a little risky. It is not like Danny was horrible when he was sent back down to AAA, and the Twins seems to have a plethora of outfielders like this Pineda fellow. At the very least, in the short term it certainly hurts the Twins depth. But, y'ah know, maybe it will be worth it in the long term, we shall see.

He had a .688 OPS in AAA this year and had no future with the team.

The Twins did the right thing, they got rid of someone with zero future for 2013 on the team and now they can give those at-bats to other players to evaluate where they fit. I'm guessing we start seeing Alexi in the lineup nearly every day as sort of a last audition for them to keep him around, or maybe this opens up a spot for Escobar sooner.

Ideally we can move Carroll as well this month, though if we are stuck with him next year it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

snepp
08-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't see a lot of hatred of the trade in the thread.

Shhhh, don't ruin his narrative.

Badsmerf
08-05-2012, 02:16 PM
They must really be convinced that Plouffe is going to play well enough to dump Valencia. Not that I disagree with the move, just think its putting a lot of faith in a guy they can't be certain about.

Twinsoholic
08-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Don't forget that Deibison Romero at AA used to be on the 40 man roster, and he is hitting .270 with 15 homers. He might finish the season with close to 20. He should certainly be the Twins' AAA 3rd baseman next year, and could be called up to fill in if Plouffe has more hand problems. I'm not sure if he bats right or left. Also, I'm not sure of his defense, but before he was injured about 3 years ago, he was considered a legit prospect, and it looks like he is working his way back to that status. So, I'm not surprised Valencia was traded, because Romero would have pushed him aside for the AAA spot next season. Now, Romero might also be a 6 year free agent after this season--I'm not sure, but I would think the Twins would do everything they could to keep him as insurance next season at 3rd.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 02:21 PM
They must really be convinced that Plouffe is going to play well enough to dump Valencia. Not that I disagree with the move, just think its putting a lot of faith in a guy they can't be certain about.

Plouffe destroyed AAA in 2011, and has mashed the ball in 2012. Even in the majors last year he still posted a 91 OPS+. Its a bit of a no brainer that Plouffe will play better then Valencia moving foward.

Valencia had a 0.5 WAR last year and a -.7 WAR this year, at this point Carroll can match his production at third base or any number of AAAA players they could grab off the waiver wire.

greengoblinrulz
08-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Don't forget that Deibison Romero at AA used to be on the 40 man roster, and he is hitting .270 with 15 homers. He might finish the season with close to 20. He should certainly be the Twins' AAA 3rd baseman next year, and could be called up to fill in if Plouffe has more hand problems. I'm not sure if he bats right or left. Also, I'm not sure of his defense, but before he was injured about 3 years ago, he was considered a legit prospect, and it looks like he is working his way back to that status. So, I'm not surprised Valencia was traded, because Romero would have pushed him aside for the AAA spot next season. Now, Romero might also be a 6 year free agent after this season--I'm not sure, but I would think the Twins would do everything they could to keep him as insurance next season at 3rd.
Romero will be 26 nxt yr & is a 6yr FA. He is a righthanded hitter & having a very solid AA yr. Also think he'll be resigned/40 manned & be the AAA 3B next yr

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 02:49 PM
The Twins have now traded about 15% of the active jewish ball players in baseball this year.

stringer bell
08-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Nishi to the Twins in Cleveland. Oh boy!

birdwatcher
08-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Do you think it's possible Valencia was traded becuase he didn't perform, and not because "he has personality"? Geez.

We won't know if we got anything for him until perhaps next year. That'll be mildly interesting.

USAFChief
08-05-2012, 03:30 PM
From JoeC's trade announcement blurb in the STrib:

“It wasn’t a matter where we were down on him or anything else,” (Rob) Antony said. “It was just a situation where this might be a better opportunity for him.”

Yeah...you weren't down on him.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Here's a pro tip:

If you are going to have a ****ty attitude and be a ballplayer, at least make sure you are a good ball player so that the team will have a reason to put up with your crap. That is why teams lived with Jeff Kent and Luke Scott and why guys like JD "The Readl Deal" Durbin and Valencia were let go.

Hammond2ndHome
08-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Here's a pro tip:

If you are going to have a ****ty attitude and be a ballplayer, at least make sure you are a good ball player so that the team will have a reason to put up with your crap. That is why teams lived with Jeff Kent and Luke Scott and why guys like JD "The Readl Deal" Durbin and Valencia were let go.

Amen. Good riddance....if this guy he was traded for has a 1% chance of doing anything productive for the Twins down the road, then this was a great trade. My guess is that either Valencia showed no change in his attitude/character this time around, or he possibly did something that was the last straw for the Twins. Valencia had NO FUTURE with Twins after Plouffe's return.

Thrylos
08-05-2012, 05:06 PM
If you are going to have a ****ty attitude and be a ballplayer,.

. My guess is that either Valencia showed no change in his attitude/character this time around.

So I trust that both of you either know Danny Valencia personally or know someone in the Twins' clubhouse who knows him to speak first hand of his attitude...

Please enlighten us.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 05:14 PM
So I trust that both of you either know Danny Valencia personally or know someone in the Twins' clubhouse who knows him to speak first hand of his attitude...

Please enlighten us.
There have been reports in the past with his attitude, there have been articles on it and I believe Nick Nelson (who has his sources) at one point said this was the case as well.

I'm not going to waste my time looking through the archives. Either way, Valencia was simply not a good ball player and didn't fit into the future plans.

twinstalker
08-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Unless rules have changed, which is possible, you don't want to waste an option on a guy like Hicks, who stands very little chance of opening for the Twins next year. I believe the "new" year starts sometime in the fall, and Hicks can be added then to start his options in 2013.

greengoblinrulz
08-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Unless rules have changed, which is possible, you don't want to waste an option on a guy like Hicks, who stands very little chance of opening for the Twins next year. I believe the "new" year starts sometime in the fall, and Hicks can be added then to start his options in 2013.
IF it happens to Aaron (or Hermann/Gibson/etc), you are initially added ONLY to 40 man roster. If he's not sent back to the minors....he doesnt use an option. A Sept callup, of someone just added, doesnt use up 1 of the 3, as its basically a free look at someone. Its what Twins did with Liam Hendriks last Sept. If you're not sent back to minors, a player like Dozier doesnt use an option yr.
This is why you only add someone during the year if they are called up from minors. No other reason to do it till offseason......also why you dont add someone to 40 man till you have to (like Dozier this past winter)
NOW, you could be worried about service time from Hicks & others....which starts at the callup date. 2 types of service times....free agency & arbitration

Thrylos
08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
There have been reports in the past with his attitude, there have been articles on it and I believe Nick Nelson (who has his sources) at one point said this was the case as well..

I cannot speak of Nick's sources. But don't you find it interesting that there are a lot of "reports about attitude" of players who the Twins got rid of ( Lohse, Romero, Garza, Neshek, Slowey, Luke Hughes etc) ? I do not believe what the mainstream media says because they are fed those things by the Twins... So unless I hear from a person who has personal experiences with a Twins' player (or any other person for that matter), I find it very simplistic and unfair to present one-sided points of view.

And I suspect on the next telecast DickNBert will start talking about how Danny did not fit and how about "a change of scenery" will help everyone. (Trade happen during the game so they did not have the script yet)

by jiminy
08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
From JoeC's trade announcement blurb in the STrib:

“It wasn’t a matter where we were down on him or anything else,” (Rob) Antony said. “It was just a situation where this might be a better opportunity for him.”

Yeah...you weren't down on him.

Sniff. The selfless generosity. They're all heart. They were still high on his future, but they loved him so much they let him go.

roger
08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I posted the following in the post on Nishi. Read into his comments what you want. Also, the player I saw wasn't someone who was doing everything he could to impress the Twins or anyone else.

Before leaving for vacation, I watched nearly half of Rochester's games the past couple weeks. A couple games before Valencia was called up, he allowed two balls to go right under his glove about a step to his left. The first night, the official scorer changed it to an error after initially calling it a hit. A day later, the exact same play they again called a hit. He also grounded into two double plays that day, running about 2/3 speed to first base. I suspect his comments when talking to Jim Mandelaro didn't help with Twins management, when he was quoted as saying he was playing for 29 teams other than the Twins.

Hammond2ndHome
08-05-2012, 06:06 PM
I cannot speak of Nick's sources. But don't you find it interesting that there are a lot of "reports about attitude" of players who the Twins got rid of ( Lohse, Romero, Garza, Neshek, Slowey, Luke Hughes etc) ? I do not believe what the mainstream media says because they are fed those things by the Twins... So unless I hear from a person who has personal experiences with a Twins' player (or any other person for that matter), I find it very simplistic and unfair to present one-sided points of view.

And I suspect on the next telecast DickNBert will start talking about how Danny did not fit and how about "a change of scenery" will help everyone. (Trade happen during the game so they did not have the script yet)

If you do not believe mainstream media, why in the world would you trust me if I said I had a source? No, I do not personally know D.V.. However, I do know people that work with the Twins or have worked with the Twins, and getting info out of them. I knew that D.V. had attitude issues when he was working his way up through the system. Where is that documented? No clue, but it was widely known....or maybe well known down here (Ft. Myers). Someone earlier on this thread said it best - he acts like A Rod without the talent.

How bout this undocumented tidbit from a source I will not reveal: Cuddy signed elsewhere bc Gardy lost the clubhouse last season....and #1 on that list of guys Cuddy blamed....yes, Valencia.

Did you hear Gladden's reaction to the trade? He basically said good riddance as well - I trust his opinion is based on clubhouse stuff, not on field play.

Anyway, I sound like a total douche know it all....you can believe me if you want, after all, its just a game.

greengoblinrulz
08-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Dealing your only 3B reeks of 'cant wait to get rid of him'.
Reports have been out on Dannys attitude for yrs. Was suspended in Ft Myers one year.....others have said he wanted MLB respect from the moment he stepped onto Target Field.
I listened to every interview he did as a weekly guest w/Patrick Reusse last yr & it was obvious Danny was his own biggest fan.
Did nothing the last year and half to try & improve.....just thought he had arrived.

maxisagod
08-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I think people are overthinking this trade.it doesn't matter if people think he was a jerk, or if Grady was out to get him, or if he was misunderstood. He was underperforming and there wasn't a starting spot for him, on the Twins or at AAA. The Twins want Escobar, Floirman, And Nishioka to play everyday because the Twins will have a spot or two opening up in middle infield over the next year or two. Which means Danny would have had to split DH time with Burroughs and hoped he played well enough to be a bench bat with the Twins in September. There was no future for him here so they did him the favor, traded him and got a little something back. wish him the best.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Didn't Morneau have "attitude" issues for awhile? Twins kept him around. Lohse took a baseball bat to the managers door, hard not to hear about that. I don't think they really ever questioned Garzas attitude, Gardy wasn't a fan of that trade from the beginning and still mentions it from time to time I believe. I don't recall them crapping on Neshek or Hughes as well or ever questioned their attitudes.

Make no mistake about it, the reason Romero, Neshek, Slowey, Hughes and Valencia were all let go is because they just weren't that good anymore and they had better in house replacements. Lohse I agree they grew tired of/he grew tired of them, and Garza wasn't exactly flipped for scraps at the time as Delmon was highly regarded, plus that never did sit well with Gardy and was a gross mistake by Bill Smith.

I know your thing is to blame the organization for incompetence at every turn, but if a bunch of people were saying Valencia had attitude issues there is a good chance he in fact had issues. You shouldn't really be questioning anyone's sources to be honest, since you weren't able to back up the whole "The Twins wouldn't trade Willingham for Bundy" straight up claim.

Lastly, the Twins aren't the only team in baseball to do this, as I mentioned above, if you want to be a bit of a punk on the diamond/crappy teamate you better make damn sure you aren't easily replaceable. If you are an easily replaceable player you better play the game the right way and not be a burden otherwise teams will stop giving you chances.

jorgenswest
08-05-2012, 07:51 PM
The window for trading Valencia by waivers is small.

This is my understanding. You can place a player on waivers once in August with the ability to revoke. The second go around a claiming team receives the player and receives his contract. No compensation is involved.

The Twins put up Valencia at a time where he was playing on the major league roster and flashed a little success. The waiver period is one day. The Red Sox were awarded the waiver. At this point the Twins will have 48 hours to make a deal with the Red Sox. This leaves the Twins with two choices.

1) Make the deal with the Red Sox for the best they will offer.

2) Retain Valencia who will need to remain on the 40 man roster. He may also be eligible for arbitration.

They do not have a second chance at a waiver trade. They can not negotiate with other teams.

The Twins chose the trade option. Hard to blame them.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Also from what I have read from Red Sox fans, they HATE the trade.

Riverbrian
08-05-2012, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=roger;42795

Before leaving for vacation, I watched nearly half of Rochester's games the past couple weeks. A couple games before Valencia was called up, he allowed two balls to go right under his glove about a step to his left. The first night, the official scorer changed it to an error after initially calling it a hit. [/QUOTE]

No idea how Danny carried himself around the clubhouse. But... This quote is exactly what I typically saw from Valencia throughout 2011. I saw him reach way too much. To me it looked like he played with I don't give a blank attitude.

I got tired of it. Delmon was another... I couldnt stand watching Delmon... Half assed baseball... No place for it. Seriously... I like the players on this squad typically. Disliking players is not my style. Delmon I couldn't stand and Valencia was sliding down the same path.

I was hoping the AAA trip would make him more engaged. First play back... He laid back on a charity hop and allowed a run to score in the first inning. Didn't seem to make a dent.

I have no idea about his attitude. However... He was sent to AAA with no replacement for him. Now he has been traded even though the Twins have no idea if Plouffe will stick. You don't have to look very hard to read between the lines.

Gardy will tolerate Butera and what he brings offensively. Valencia is tossed when he collapses. In other words... I have no direct knowledge of what is attitude is like... However... It's pretty easy to believe without direct knowledge that an attitude issue was there and fairly large.

Top Gun
08-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I hate this trade too, it sucks, more OFers less infielders says it all.

Mchans24
08-05-2012, 09:41 PM

Please enlighten us.

Really? You need to be enlightened on this? That's like asking for evidence that Mark McGuire used steroids?

TheLeviathan
08-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Really? You need to be enlightened on this? That's like asking for evidence that Mark McGuire used steroids?

What is this board's obsession with this approach to things?

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Also the people complaining that we got "another Revere/Mastrionni" are a bit ridiculous. Yes, Pineda projects to be the same type of player, but by the time he is ready for the majors there is a good chance that one or both of those players will be gone or on the way out anyways.

The nice thing about Pineda is that he looks to be a legit CF fielding and arm wise, you can never have enough of those in any system and if he develops it just makes our current OF crop that much more rich and deep (allowing us to trade some down the road to fill other needs)

I am actually pretty surprised we got someone like this for Valencia.

Reginald Maudling's Shin
08-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I guess we are supposed to expect high-upside arms when trading players that aren't in the future plans of a last place team?

Valencia is the definition of no value - hits like a middle infielder but can't field a corner infield spot. Who cares what the guy they received profiles as...it's a possible asset attained from a non-asset. Even on the slim chance Pineda makes it to MLB when Revere is there and you have "duplication"...so what? You've developed a MLB player out of thin air, and you have an even greater asset to flip for something else.

Mchans24
08-05-2012, 11:15 PM
i guess we are supposed to expect high-upside arms when trading players that aren't in the future plans of a last place team?

Valencia is the definition of no value - hits like a middle infielder but can't field a corner infield spot. Who cares what the guy they received profiles as...it's a possible asset attained from a non-asset. Even on the slim chance pineda makes it to mlb when revere is there and you have "duplication"...so what? You've developed a mlb player out of thin air, and you have an even greater asset to flip for something else.

amen

gunnarthor
08-05-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm a bit confused on how people can blame Gardy on this. Gardy played him in 154 games last year - gave him over 600 PA - and he responded with an 86 OPS+ and a negative WAR. And then Gardy gave him 6 weeks and let his put up a .494 OPS before he was sent down. Seems like Gardy gave him all the opportunities in the world. Far more than he should've frankly. And yet some people honestly think he was traded b/c Gardy didn't like his attitude? Really?

TwoDogsfukn
08-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Not up to his 2010 standards, but he's certainly better than he's shown this year.

Yeah, he probably wouldn't have been productive here. Tough to be when you're in Gardy's doghouse.

I remember when David Ortiz was in TK's doghouse. Doug Mientkiewich (sp?) was our savior.

Oh well, **** happens

TwoDogsfukn
08-05-2012, 11:59 PM
What? I can't say (star star star star)? ;(

purplesoldier
08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
A man playing against boys is always going to swing the bat.

greengoblinrulz
08-11-2012, 04:11 PM
If they woulda waited another wk to send Danny thru waivers.....could we have gotten more than Pineda now that Middlebrooks broke his wrist???

Seth Stohs
08-11-2012, 04:28 PM
If they woulda waited another wk to send Danny thru waivers.....could we have gotten more than Pineda now that Middlebrooks broke his wrist???

Probably, but:

1.) there is no way to know that's going to happen, and
2.) Once the Red Sox claimed him, there are 48 hours to agree on a deal.

So, maybe the Twins could have waited a week to put him on waivers, but most players are put on waivers right away. Again, since there's no way to know of upcoming injury, it's kind of a mute point.

stringer bell
08-11-2012, 04:47 PM

Probably, but:

1.) there is no way to know that's going to happen, and
2.) Once the Red Sox claimed him, there are 48 hours to agree on a deal.

So, maybe the Twins could have waited a week to put him on waivers, but most players are put on waivers right away. Again, since there's no way to know of upcoming injury, it's kind of a mute point.

Grammar police: that's a moot point, not mute (which means unwilling/unable to speak).

greengoblinrulz
08-11-2012, 04:50 PM
yup.....just timing.