PDA

View Full Version : MLBTR: Non-Tender Candidate Alexi Casilla

Seth Stohs
08-03-2012, 09:39 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/non-tender-candidate-alexi-casilla.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

MLB Trade Rumors runs a series where they look into players who will potentially be non-tendered. Today, that profile is the Twins Alexi Casilla.

DPJ
08-03-2012, 09:43 AM
I assume Escobar is the new Casilla starting next season, not much reason to keep lexi around.

I'll never forgot 163.

crarko
08-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Yeah, the arrival of Escobar makes that quite likely. Heck, even Nishioka will compete for the utility infielder spot next year.

stringer bell
08-03-2012, 09:59 AM
How is Escobar's speed? I have hoped that Casilla could get on base well enough to use his talent to steal bases. However he just hasn't reached enough this year by any stretch. If Escobar can steal 15-20 bags hitting out of the #9 hole, I would love it.

Brock Beauchamp
08-03-2012, 10:10 AM
This is what you do with utility infielders. Play them sparingly until they become expensive and then move on to the next guy. There's no reason to keep Alexi around next season.

John Bonnes
08-03-2012, 10:18 AM
I, for one, can see the Twins offering him arbitrration. I don't think they have a better internal candidate, and it only costs them 1.8M to keep around the devil they know. I suppose they could go with a ST compeition of Escobar, Nishi and Florimon and see how it goes, but I'm not sure they would be comfortable.

Actually, check that. Here's what I think will happen: the Twins will offer Casilla a deal for $1.2-$1.5M before they have to decide if they have to offer him arbitration. If he accepts it, he'll stay. If not, they'll drop him. But I think he'll accept it.

mike wants wins
08-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Not sure why you'd pay over $1MM for a guy that can be replaced for 400K. Sure, it's not a lot of money, but it is still money that can be used elsewhere. I think one of those three could do what Casilla does, and maybe be better.

DPJ
08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
This is what you do with utility infielders. Play them sparingly until they become expensive and then move on to the next guy. There's no reason to keep Alexi around next season.

HOLD UP...you mean utility infielders aren't suppose to be handed starting jobs and multi-million dollar contracts. This isn't the Twins Baseball I know and loathe.

Boom Boom
08-03-2012, 11:09 AM
HOLD UP...you mean utility infielders aren't suppose to be handed starting jobs and multi-million dollar contracts. This isn't the Twins Baseball I know and loathe.

Not to worry, we'll still have Jamey Carroll under contract for another year plus an option for a third.

stringer bell
08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
I, for one, can see the Twins offering him arbitrration. I don't think they have a better internal candidate, and it only costs them 1.8M to keep around the devil they know. I suppose they could go with a ST compeition of Escobar, Nishi and Florimon and see how it goes, but I'm not sure they would be comfortable.

Actually, check that. Here's what I think will happen: the Twins will offer Casilla a deal for $1.2-$1.5M before they have to decide if they have to offer him arbitration. If he accepts it, he'll stay. If not, they'll drop him. But I think he'll accept it.Probably a pretty likely scenario. Also, there are two months of season left. While it is unlikely, Casilla could again play himself back into the good graces of the Twins organization. Two months ago, Trever Plouffe would have been considered totally expendable. Now some think he is a building block. Two months ago, Liriano was worthless and a week ago he garnered two players who will play for the Twins in the next 12 months. Maybe, just maybe, Nick Blackburn will have some value by the end of the season (really doubt that).

Rosterman
08-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Alexi is replacable. If by no one else, Janey Carroll. And, remember, we still owe a certain Japanese infielder $3 mill for next season.

If someone would claim, I would say great -- take him...maybe give us a low-A prospect in return to boot. Otherwise, elt the NEXT team worry about offering him arbitration, which they probably wouldn't...or hope that we can resign him, mif need be, for soemthing more reasonable, if need be.

By jettisoning Alexi, we can immediately add anotehr candidate infielder, Florimon, to the 40-man. At some point, Toshi, Flor and Esco will all be with the Twins, one if a roster spot opens in August, all three come September. Remember, we still have Carroll (unless he is waivered claimed, which could happen) and Dozier could probably play half-time during our "stay out of last place" stretch.

Another question. When you are this far out of contention, is it better to play to not be the worst, or jsut say screw it and go for a higher draft pick.

Back to the post: Alexi is a good back-up infielder...but nothing special, really. He is a dime a dozen. Yes, we pay Carroll so much more, but I fel bette starting Carroll at any of the infield positions than Alexi, although Carroll has been a disappointment overall. He gives us age and experience, which has a certain amount of value...but I would even let him go, too.

And, to the other soul, who mentioned Plouffe...he still has one more season under total team control and is cheap for what he NOW brings to the table.

BrentMpls
08-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Alexi is replacable. If by no one else, Janey Carroll. And, remember, we still owe a certain Japanese infielder $3 mill for next season.

If someone would claim, I would say great -- take him...maybe give us a low-A prospect in return to boot. Otherwise, elt the NEXT team worry about offering him arbitration, which they probably wouldn't...or hope that we can resign him, mif need be, for soemthing more reasonable, if need be.

By jettisoning Alexi, we can immediately add anotehr candidate infielder, Florimon, to the 40-man. At some point, Toshi, Flor and Esco will all be with the Twins, one if a roster spot opens in August, all three come September. Remember, we still have Carroll (unless he is waivered claimed, which could happen) and Dozier could probably play half-time during our "stay out of last place" stretch.

Another question. When you are this far out of contention, is it better to play to not be the worst, or jsut say screw it and go for a higher draft pick.

Back to the post: Alexi is a good back-up infielder...but nothing special, really. He is a dime a dozen. Yes, we pay Carroll so much more, but I fel bette starting Carroll at any of the infield positions than Alexi, although Carroll has been a disappointment overall. He gives us age and experience, which has a certain amount of value...but I would even let him go, too.

And, to the other soul, who mentioned Plouffe...he still has one more season under total team control and is cheap for what he NOW brings to the table.

I agree - more broadly we need to dump the abundance of mediocre utility players and try to focus on acquiring someone who can play the position solidly 100% of the time. A Casilla type guy is fine for when your main guys need a day off or are hurt. Having a fleet of Casilla's that you dance around who is hottest/healthiest isn't something I want to see in 2013 and beyond.

nicksaviking
08-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Casilla didn't quite pan out as hoped when the Twins traded J.C. Romero for him, but if this is the end of the line for him, it was a rather insignificant trade but still one that favored TR and the Twins. Six years and 2.2 WAR I suppose beats the one year of .2 WAR for the Angels and Romero. I've been against Ryan lately, but this one goes in his win column I suppose.

Paul
08-03-2012, 04:51 PM
...Alexi is a good back-up infielder...but nothing special, really. He is a dime a dozen...

I'll take one please. Do you have change for a penny?

pipers44
08-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I would like them try and get a legitimate middle infielder this offseason, but if they don't, why not get rid of Carrol, offer arbitration to Casilla and have a rotation of Dozier, Cassilla, and Escobar with Nishi and Floriman in the wings? Ugh, I don't really like the sound of that, but at least they save a little cash by getting rid of Carrol. Of course we have to find someone willing to take him off our hands. I actually don't mind Casilla, he occassonally gets a clutch hit, makes some great plays in the field and steals some bases.

Monkeypaws
08-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Funny, just today I was thinking that while Alexi never became the star some hoped he would, he has been a fairly useful player over the course of his Twins career.

Beatleguy
08-03-2012, 05:31 PM
We over payed for Punto a utility player. He was a gamer but an over payed one.

BrentMpls
08-03-2012, 05:36 PM
He was a gamer but an over payed one.

A gamer? He was on the DL every other week.

USAFChief
08-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Funny, just today I was thinking that while Alexi never became the star some hoped he would, he has been a fairly useful player over the course of his Twins career.

I guess...If you think 1700 MLB PAs of .248/.303/.331, coupled with meh defense, a propensity for making exactly the wrong play, and an inability to stay on the field is useful.

Beatleguy
08-03-2012, 05:56 PM
A gamer? He was on the DL every other week.

He was a gamer when he played happy with that. I never was a fan of his though.

Dilligaf69
08-03-2012, 06:26 PM
I just assumed Escobar would replace him next season...otherwise what are they gonna do with him??

DPJ
08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
I just assumed Escobar would replace him next season...otherwise what are they gonna do with him??

Gardy loves giving starting jobs to utility players.