PDA

View Full Version : Samuel Deduno

darin617
08-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Hopefully the Twins braintust leave Samuel Deduno alone and don't try to get him to "pitch to contact". It is nice to see some movement on the ball. The one thing that confused me about his start tonight was why our All Star catcher was absent from the game?

J-Dog Dungan
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Mauer has had very few days off recently, and Gardy said that he was going to give him a day off on the road trip. The movement gives all the catchers that has been catching him trouble.

Scheherezade
08-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Hopefully the Twins braintust leave Samuel Deduno alone and don't try to get him to "pitch to contact". It is nice to see some movement on the ball. The one thing that confused me about his start tonight was why our All Star catcher was absent from the game?

Because he's played every game since June 22nd?

darin617
08-02-2012, 11:21 PM
So how many has he caught? Games played is not the same as games caught.

Riverbrian
08-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't get it.

Deduno has lowered his ERA to 2.48... he Threw 6 shutout innins... Only allowing 2 hits both to AGon. Record stands at 3 and 0 and he came out of nowhere. Who is this guy? Great looking spinner and hitters are clearly struggling with it.

This thread should be full of Deduno discussion... You know... Can he be useful... Looking good so far Type discussion. Will he pitch for us in 2013 discussion. Will he get a handle on his fastball type discussion.

Yet... The discussion point is going to be a why did Mauer sit in this Shutout win at Fenway?

Absent of discussion this far... I'll just say that I look forward to Deduno's next start.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I like DeDuno's results thus far, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The guy has 20 BB and 19k in 29 IP. That is a recipe for disaster.

righty8383
08-02-2012, 11:55 PM
I guess he has that "effectively wild" thing going for him. Teams will start being more patient and making him pay for those walks eventually if he can't show better control. He has major league stuff but not major league command(yet).

Buck Nasty
08-02-2012, 11:58 PM
With that many walks - we'll never have to worry about him pitching to contact :p. Seriously - Deduno is having a nice run, but it's probably best to lower expectations to stop gap guy.

jokin
08-02-2012, 11:58 PM

As I just posted in the game thread, give Gardy, Andy and Ryan credit for giving him a shot and sticking with him. Sam's approach to the game is antithetical to everything they stand for. With his magician-like escape artist techniques from ever-impending BBs and 3-2 pitch count disasters, if he continues this unlikely success, perhaps he could eventually adopt "The Great Deduno" moniker.... did everyone catch his sheer expressions of joy and relief on his final out? Fun stuff.

Riverbrian
08-03-2012, 12:04 AM

I agree but I'm going to try to be glass half full guy. What if he lowered that walk total?

His breaking pitches are legit. If starts locating his heater and cuts his walk total and brings his pitch count down. It will compliment his nasty spinner. He could mix it up.

Of course that's like saying if Ben Revere just hit the ball longer he could be a power hitter.

Stranger things have happened on the mound. If he finds that release point on his fast ball like he seems to have found with his curve. It could be like a light switch.

Im going to try to be optimistic. I eagerly await his next start. I'll have my Beer and Popcorn ready,

jokin
08-03-2012, 12:09 AM
I agree but I'm going to try to be glass half full guy. What if he lowered that walk total?

His breaking pitches are legit. If starts locating his heater and cuts his walk total and brings his pitch count down. It will compliment his nasty spinner. He could mix it up.

Of course that's like saying if Ben Revere just hit the ball longer he could be a power hitter.

Stranger things have happened on the mound. If he finds that release point on his fast ball like he seems to have found with his curve. It could be like a light switch.

Im going to try to be optimistic. I eagerly await his next start. I'll have my Beer and Popcorn ready,

Lot of ifs in there, but I'm pulling for him too, in a strange sort of way. His very presence at age 29 and the results he is achieving out there defies the basic expectations demanded by the Twins braintrust and frankly, basic common sense, as well.

And did you notice that Ben Revere is hitting a tad more deeply to the gaps, on occasion, during this 16 game hit streak? More fun stuff after a nice win.

Riverbrian
08-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Lot of ifs in there, but I'm pulling for him too, in a strange sort of way. His very presence at age 29 and the results he is achieving out there defies the basic expectations demanded by the Twins braintrust and frankly, basic common sense, as well.

And did you notice that Ben Revere is hitting a tad more deeply to the gaps, on occasion, during this 16 game hit streak? More fun stuff after a nice win.

Ben hit .517 with 10 dingers in his senior HS year. He's got a little pop in his bat. Parmelee hit .407 and 11 dingers. I'm guessing Parmelee hit his longer tho.

Back to Deduno... Some Players just need a chance. That's about the only positive about Pavano and Baker going on the DL or basically every starter imploding. More pitchers get a chance to show something and sometimes they do.

If Baker was healthy... Pavano... Marquis.... Liriano... Blackburn... If they would have been healthy average pitchers this year. We may not have gotten to see Diamond or Deduno. Still a question mark on if they keep it up but they are making the most of the chance they have been given thus far.

A couple of feel good stories so far.

Pius Jefferson
08-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Because he's played every game since June 22nd?

He looked lousy in the White Sox series. Especially that last at bat he had.

old nurse
08-03-2012, 12:59 AM

There are a few pitchers that took a little while at the major league level to control their fastball. Just a little better control and maybe he will get the close call. Thank you for being a half stein full guy while posting here.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-03-2012, 01:09 AM
I am as half full as they come, DeDuno has been a nice story thus far, I am just not ready to count on him to contribute until he fixes his walks issue.

Guys that have less then a 1:1 K/BB ratio just don't succeed at the big league level. His GB% isn't great and his FIP and XFIP show that he is due for some serious regression to the mean at some point. If he can limit his walks he could potentially become a back end of the rotation type guy, but until then I just don't see it happening long term.

I do like the fact he strikes people out though, that is a nice refresher from the majority of pitchers we see on the big league club.

jokin
08-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Ben hit .517 with 10 dingers in his senior HS year. He's got a little pop in his bat. Parmelee hit .407 and 11 dingers. I'm guessing Parmelee hit his longer tho.

Back to Deduno... Some Players just need a chance. That's about the only positive about Pavano and Baker going on the DL or basically every starter imploding. More pitchers get a chance to show something and sometimes they do.

If Baker was healthy... Pavano... Marquis.... Liriano... Blackburn... If they would have been healthy average pitchers this year. We may not have gotten to see Diamond or Deduno. Still a question mark on if they keep it up but they are making the most of the chance they have been given thus far.

A couple of feel good stories so far.

I know it's over-optimistic-night, but those 10 Revere dingers in HS are intriguing....Ben Revere has a strong football background, as well, starring in high school (supposedly averaged 3 TDs/game his senior year) and genetic lineage with both his grandfather and father playing and coaching the sport at Eastern Kentucky University. Is there a chance he might develop a more powerful football physique of a body that might yet yield more power to his batting stroke? Remember when Kirby Puckett first came up and went homerless early on in his career, we know how that turned out. I know they aren't the same player, but they are both high contact rate free swingers and a hard-working kid like Revere could easily work some off-season strength training into his workout routine. Here's hoping.

glunn
08-03-2012, 02:17 AM
Getting back to Deduno, here (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=465679)is a link to his lifetime stats. Yes, he has always given up a lot of walks and his WHIP has never been great. But he seems to have always been hard to hit.

Maybe being in the big leagues will inspire him to make the transition from good to great.

Diamond and Plouffe, and now Deduno. These are three players who could turn out to be very valuable.

crarko
08-03-2012, 07:15 AM
I love those minor league stats: 780 IP, 39 HR, 81 hit batsmen.

More and more I like this guy.

Brock Beauchamp
08-03-2012, 07:18 AM
I can't see Deduno sticking without lowering that walk rate quite a bit but the guy is still hilarious to watch every fifth day. Hopefully he'll be able to maintain his success while also learning to throw more strikes. Not a lot more, just enough to cut get his BB per 9 in the 3-ish range.

DPJ
08-03-2012, 07:21 AM
If the rotation doesn't work out, he could be an intresting guy in the pen. Have him just focus on 2 pitches and hopefully that would help his walks.

USAFChief
08-03-2012, 07:31 AM
I don't trust Deduno at all, but as I mentioned in a game thread a while back, he's not your ordinary Twins minor league free agent AAAA junkballer. He has no command whatsoever, but he does have stuff. If you're gonna throw crap against a wall to see what sticks, I'd rather be throwing crap that has a chance to be a spectacular flame out or a spectacular success, rather than crap that might not embarrass you, but has no real shot at being good, either.

Brock Beauchamp
08-03-2012, 07:37 AM
If the rotation doesn't work out, he could be an intresting guy in the pen. Have him just focus on 2 pitches and hopefully that would help his walks.

I don't think it would. His fastball is uncontrollable, it seems.

BigVin
08-03-2012, 08:04 AM
I like what the Twins have now, and what's also coming very soon.

Possible Starting Pitchers for 2013:
1. Scott Diamond - thinking he's a lock
2. Kyle Gibson - probably not till end of may or june
3. PJ Walters
4. Cole Devries
5. Sam Deduno
6. Liam Hendricks
7. Free Agent/s

Please let Nick Blackburn go!!!

stringer bell
08-03-2012, 08:29 AM
You could never move Deduno (who is 29 years old) beyond a fifth starter role because of all the walks, probable short starts and the likelyhood of ugly 100 pitch, 3 inning clunkers. However, when matched with low expectations, he can and should be considered for the rotation in 2013.

diehardtwinsfan
08-03-2012, 08:35 AM
I don't think I'd count on him.... Keeping him on the 40 man and seeing if he can hone his control is certainly worth it... sometimes guys just figure that out... If cuts his walk rate in half, he's an effective starter.

whatever54
08-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Deduno really is the least " Twins like" starter we've seen them trot out to the mound in a long time. I really don't recall the last starter we've pitched with the same combination of nasty breaking stuff, and unpredictable fastball. A refreshing change, at times a scary change. But you have to kind of like the guy, it's clear he really is giving it his all. You have to wonder how long it will continue to work, how long he'll be effective, maybe he beats the odds and has a real future as a starter.

Mauerzy4Prez
08-03-2012, 08:45 AM
1) Mauer did not catch last night because he deserved a rest. AND Drew "the pitcher whisperer" Butera has proven that he can handle guys with control issues very well. Look at what he did to help Liriano come back after his terrible start to the season.

2) Deduno is a joy to watch pitch right now. His emotion and competitive spirit is a huge refresher from what we are used to and I love it! As Gardy said last night in his post game interview, who cares about how many balls to strikes he threw last night. His performance was fantastic, and he shut out the Red Sox at Fenway, for the first time in 16 years for the Twins. No way should we second guess what he did or did not do.

2.1) Moving forward he will have to bring in the control just a bit on his fastball. But really only enough to keep the hitters off his breaking stuff as they get used to it. His recipe for success is to stay outside of the strike zone to keep hitters chasing the ball and either making terrible contact or striking out.

TheLeviathan
08-03-2012, 08:47 AM
The problem with Deduno is that he can't even be a reliever - he's just too erratic to be anything but a spot starter. Pitched a nice game though.

crarko
08-03-2012, 08:51 AM
It would of course be epic if he went to Yankee Stadium and threw this same kind of game. He'd never have to win again to be a Twins legend.

stringer bell
08-03-2012, 09:00 AM

3. PJ Walters
4. Cole Devries
5. Sam Deduno
6. Liam Hendricks
7. Free Agent/s

Please let Nick Blackburn go!!!My best-case scenario would be for Blackburn to build some trade value and for the Twins to trade him for a (Blylevenism) Jonathan Sanchez type, who maybe could benefit from the strike-thrower mentality that Anderson and the Twins' org preaches.

minn55441
08-03-2012, 09:05 AM
1) Mauer did not catch last night because he deserved a rest. AND Drew "the pitcher whisperer" Butera has proven that he can handle guys with control issues very well. Look at what he did to help Liriano come back after his terrible start to the season.

2) Deduno is a joy to watch pitch right now. His emotion and competitive spirit is a huge refresher from what we are used to and I love it! As Gardy said last night in his post game interview, who cares about how many balls to strikes he threw last night. His performance was fantastic, and he shut out the Red Sox at Fenway, for the first time in 16 years for the Twins. No way should we second guess what he did or did not do.

2.1) Moving forward he will have to bring in the control just a bit on his fastball. But really only enough to keep the hitters off his breaking stuff as they get used to it. His recipe for success is to stay outside of the strike zone to keep hitters chasing the ball and either making terrible contact or striking out.

Deduno is a joy to watch!!! Lets leave it at that. I too look forward to his next start. It's not like he is going to cost us a chance at a playoff spot with a poor showing in his next start. He is the kind of guy we should all be rooting for.

daan4786
08-03-2012, 09:15 AM
I like Deduno.. I think he can still be effective with the wild fastball. He doesnt really know where the balls gonna go when he throws a fastball, so it must be hard for hitters to sit on his fastball, and generally the best hitters are fastball hitters. Plus, his curveball is his best pitch. Yeah, its easy for hitters to lay off the fastballs three feet out of the zone, but if half of Dedunos fastballs are out there it seems like it would be a bad approach for hitters to look for a nice fastball to hit, and they aren't going to hit his curveball hard very often. I also think that Deduno's fastballs are so off sometimes because he's scared of grooving one down the middle, and thats why he hasnt really been hit hard. He's been effective with 3 ball counts and runners on (as far as I know) which might be luck, but i think its just hard to make good contact off of him, and thats why he's been so successful so far. He is walking a fine line though, because a bad pitch will hurt him worse when he walks so many guys.

birdwatcher
08-03-2012, 09:28 AM
What's not to love about Deduno right now? Great story, and so fun to watch....for now. The 2013 rotation? I seriously hope Deduno is about our 8th best option, just ahead of DeVries and Blackburn. He won't be much fun anymore when players learn to tape their bat to their shoulder for three innings. I'd love to see him as a 30-year old injury call-up in 2013. Just like he is in 2012. But as a fifth starter, he has a chance to wreak havoc on a bullpen with short starts.

Riverbrian
08-03-2012, 09:46 AM
I know it's over-optimistic-night, but those 10 Revere dingers in HS are intriguing....Ben Revere has a strong football background, as well, starring in high school (supposedly averaged 3 TDs/game his senior year) and genetic lineage with both his grandfather and father playing and coaching the sport at Eastern Kentucky University. Is there a chance he might develop a more powerful football physique of a body that might yet yield more power to his batting stroke? Remember when Kirby Puckett first came up and went homerless early on in his career, we know how that turned out. I know they aren't the same player, but they are both high contact rate free swingers and a hard-working kid like Revere could easily work some off-season strength training into his workout routine. Here's hoping.

I have to be careful how much I post about Ben. I'm a huge fan. He's my favorite Twin right now and I think you can win baseball games with players like him. However, I've posted enough on Ben in defense of him. He doesn't need my defense he's doing it on the field. However, I think I've posted enough that my view point seems one sided. I'm not confusing him with Ryan Braun. I'm really not... I just don't think he's as bad or worrisome as others make him out to be and I come across one sided in defense.

Let me just say... The Twins scouting department didn't look at a kid in Kentucky... With no arm and no power and say... Oh Yeah... 1st round baby.

They were looking at a kid who was stroking the ball... taking the ball deep and running at lightning speed. That's why they reached into the 1st round for him. The kid was stroking it. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. What the future brings... Who knows... Power hitter... Probably not... but can he reach the fence... I think so...

Back to Deduno... It's all about getting a chance and making the most of it. So many players get one chance and one chance only and if they aren't ready for it or slump at the wrong time. That chance never comes again.

Some players get that chance and do the job and they get to stick around and get to keep doing it.

It's why the worst thing that could have happened to the Twins is that Pavano and Blackburn would have stayed healthy and continued to pitch poorly. Not only would they pitch poorly and pull money out the teams pockets but they would have blocked Diamond and Deduno from getting that chance.

Sometimes there is good in the bad. It should be audition time for the starting rotation. Deduno has been a treat.

cr9617
08-03-2012, 09:56 AM

3. PJ Walters
4. Cole Devries
5. Sam Deduno
6. Liam Hendricks
7. Free Agent/s

Please let Nick Blackburn go!!!

What's to like about this list? Add it all up and it's still the worst starting rotation in the AL.

Riverbrian
08-03-2012, 09:57 AM
What's not to love about Deduno right now? Great story, and so fun to watch....for now. The 2013 rotation? I seriously hope Deduno is about our 8th best option, just ahead of DeVries and Blackburn. He won't be much fun anymore when players learn to tape their bat to their shoulder for three innings. I'd love to see him as a 30-year old injury call-up in 2013. Just like he is in 2012. But as a fifth starter, he has a chance to wreak havoc on a bullpen with short starts.

Let's get Deduno into mechanics mode. Consistent foot strike. Consistent release point. No Ball... Just show up at the park everyday early. Head out to a corner of the field. Stride, Plant and reach... Repeat... Stride, Plant and Reach... Repeat... Stride, Plant and reach... Repeat...

If you can control your spinner... You should be able to Control the #1. It's mechanics. I'm gonna stay optimistic.

Brock Beauchamp
08-03-2012, 10:13 AM
What's to like about this list? Add it all up and it's still the worst starting rotation in the AL.

It might be but it has the potential to be a lot better than this season.

The Twins aren't going to fix their pitching woes in one year. The best they can hope for is respectability and there's a chance Diamond/Hendriks/Gibson/Free Agent/Scrub can do that by this point next season.

TheLeviathan
08-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Yeah but if he can't spot his fastball....does cutting down on his repertoire really help?

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Blackburn has just as good of a shot to stick as a #5 as DeDuno does have at this point.

Hopefully one can stick but the odds aren't in eithers favor.

diehardtwinsfan
08-03-2012, 11:39 AM
The Twins have 5 million reasons for Blackburn to stick as a number 5... and performance isn't one of them.

snepp
08-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Maybe being in the big leagues will inspire him to make the transition from good to great.

From good to great? Are we talking about the same guy?

I would settle for a transition from borderline major leaguer to serviceable.

jareddejong42
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Let's get Deduno into mechanics mode. Consistent foot strike. Consistent release point. No Ball... Just show up at the park everyday early. Head out to a corner of the field. Stride, Plant and reach... Repeat... Stride, Plant and Reach... Repeat... Stride, Plant and reach... Repeat...

If you can control your spinner... You should be able to Control the #1. It's mechanics. I'm gonna stay optimistic.

What I have read about Deduno, is that his erratic fastball is not due as much to his mechanics as it is to the incredible movement that he gets on the fastball. Red Sox hitters were amazed by how much the fastball moves. Butera commented that he is simply setting up in the middle of the zone for Deduno and letting the fastball movement do the work. Unfortunately this is causing his BB rate to be higher.

jokin
08-03-2012, 01:54 PM

With all that movement on his fastball, I would immediately schedule Deduno and Capps together for daily dual mechanics workouts. Working together at opposite ends of the spectrum and they might solve both sets of problems!

jokin
08-03-2012, 01:58 PM
As an aside, did anyone else notice at least 4 different announcers with at least four different ways to pronounce his first and last names. Bert's attempt was the most cartoonish on the surname, while Dick was insistent that his first name is most definitely: Sam-WELLLLL.

TheLeviathan
08-03-2012, 07:25 PM
As an aside, did anyone else notice at least 4 different announcers with at least four different ways to pronounce his first and last names. Bert's attempt was the most cartoonish on the surname, while Dick was insistent that his first name is most definitely: Sam-WELLLLL.

I heard a DeDoumit.

drjim
08-03-2012, 07:54 PM

I went to batting practice in Pittsburgh and Revere was hitting bombs into the right field stands. I think he eventually hits 5-10 a year.

drjim
08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Yea, I don't know how anyone could seriously plan on Deduno doing anything going forward. Nice little story but he is 29 with more bbs than ks. This won't last.

John Bonnes
08-03-2012, 11:40 PM
I have no idea what to do with this guy, other than keep trotting him out there and see what happens. I can't think of a comparative guy historically. My gut tells me this can't last, but I don't see any reason why the Twins shouldn't keep running him out there until it doesn't work.

Brock Beauchamp
08-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I have no idea what to do with this guy, other than keep trotting him out there and see what happens. I can't think of a comparative guy historically. My gut tells me this can't last, but I don't see any reason why the Twins shouldn't keep running him out there until it doesn't work.

That's how I feel about it. I don't know of a past situation like this one. The guy has so much life on his fb that he can't control it.

I'm skeptical of continued success but there's no reason not to run him out there.

Thrylos
08-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Yeah. He is not the second coming of anything. I think it is ok to be wild, if you are recording something like 10+ K/9 and still your K/BB is 2+. His numbers predict huge regression ahead. If you mix a 1.45 WHIP produced in a time of .238 BABIP, get ready for bad things ahead. Some of those ground balls (mostly in his case) and line drives right at fielders will start getting in between fielders...

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I went to batting practice in Pittsburgh and Revere was hitting bombs into the right field stands. I think he eventually hits 5-10 a year.

5-10 a year? Let's try for 1 in a career and go from there.

I like Revere, but let's be honest, the guy has zero HR power.

whatever54
08-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Yeah. He is not the second coming of anything. I think it is ok to be wild, if you are recording something like 10+ K/9 and still your K/BB is 2+. His numbers predict huge regression ahead. If you mix a 1.45 WHIP produced in a time of .238 BABIP, get ready for bad things ahead. Some of those ground balls (mostly in his case) and line drives right at fielders will start getting in between fielders...
I understand that the metrics all suggest a coming fall, it'll likely happen, till then enjoy the ride. And ya never know he might be the one to beat the odds and continue to be effective long term. If so, good for him.

Jim H
08-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Deduno has been fun to watch. Like most of you, I don't expect that much going forward. Control is a skill/talent just like throwing hard, or making a ball move. I doubt if his control problems are solely related to his fastball moving too much. There must be mechanial issues mixed in there. If you are still trying to resolve those issues at age 29, well that is not really a good sign.

It is possible that he could make an effective reliever, though I believe other organizations have tried him there. Many relievers are a bit like Deduno, good stuff, throws hard, control issues. He certainly is not unique in haviing his fastball move a lot with no real idea how it is going to move from pitch to pitch. LaTroy Hawkins was like that when he came to the majors. But, Hawkins was a lot younger and clearly figured that out very quickly.

old nurse
08-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I understand that the metrics all suggest a coming fall, it'll likely happen, till then enjoy the ride. And ya never know he might be the one to beat the odds and continue to be effective long term. If so, good for him.

It looks like Deduno does not give up a lot of home runs nor doubles. I haven't watched him pich but if I would think if the hits he gives up have been on the ground he would be more effective as the defense behind him is better. The walks then become double plays. In another month we will have an idea. Pitching Deduno is better than a retread.

greengoblinrulz
08-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Think I heard that Deduno is out of options & that will hurt him massively. A guy like him who doesnt have the chance to optioned out has to be near perfect OR established. He is neither. Cant see under any situation where MN will see him as one of the 5 starters next yr. Possibly in the pen, but that walk rate REALLY cries out in the pen. Think he's just been a good story & seriously doubt if he will do enough the last 11 starts to merit anything.

ALessKosherScott
08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
IMO, the best backhanded compliment you can give Dedundo is he's the most exciting pitcher in a rotation stocked with AAAA players. Is he headed for a crash? Probably. But who knows, maybe Rick Anderson can live up to his old Anne Sullivan word filter and shave a walk or two/9 from him and make him a little more interesting.

whatever54
08-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Think I heard that Deduno is out of options & that will hurt him massively. A guy like him who doesnt have the chance to optioned out has to be near perfect OR established. He is neither. Cant see under any situation where MN will see him as one of the 5 starters next yr. Possibly in the pen, but that walk rate REALLY cries out in the pen. Think he's just been a good story & seriously doubt if he will do enough the last 11 starts to merit anything.

You doubt that the Twins will give him the opportunity to claim a starters position even if he continues to be as effective through the rest of this season? I didn't realize they had so many really good pitchers!

jimbo92107
08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Sam Deduno has a chance to be an extremely good pitcher. His curve ball is as good as anything I've seen from a Twins pitcher in many years. His fastball is indeed unpredictable, but he is learning to reduce the variation just enough to stay close to the zone. Result: batters swing at his stuff, but rarely know where it's going to be. His heater is just close enough to induce whiff swings from average batters, but disciplined ones will continue to draw walks.

Free-swinging teams like the Rangers will suffer when Deduno's on the mound; disciplined teams like the Yankees are likely to take him apart. This could still leave Deduno with a winning record, as few teams have discipline like the Yankees.

greengoblinrulz
08-05-2012, 08:00 PM
You doubt that the Twins will give him the opportunity to claim a starters position even if he continues to be as effective through the rest of this season? I didn't realize they had so many really good pitchers!
Right huh??.....they will give him a 'chance', but he's absolutely has to run away with the chance IMO
My thoughts are....
Scot Diamond is in.
They will acquire 1 legit (???) starter in FA/trade
Possibility of resigning/reworking deal for either Pavano/Baker for a spot is high IMO
Nick Blackburn ONLY because of his contract.
They could possibly acquire 2 starters in offseason if possiblity 2 or 3 doesnt happen, but one will IMO.
That leaves Deduno, DeVries, Gibson, Hendriks, Duensing (bullpen guy IMO in 2013) goin for 5th spot.
Still think Deduno will be hurt badly by the fact he doesnt have any options remaining/Blackburns contract.

Brock Beauchamp
08-06-2012, 06:48 AM
IMO, the best backhanded compliment you can give Dedundo is he's the most exciting pitcher in a rotation stocked with AAAA players. Is he headed for a crash? Probably. But who knows, maybe Rick Anderson can live up to his old Anne Sullivan word filter and shave a walk or two/9 from him and make him a little more interesting.

That's pretty much how I feel. If there's a way to shave even 1 BB/9 from Deduno's line, he's an intriguing pitcher.

But given that part of his "unhittable-ness" is based around his shotgun-blast of a fastball that he can't control, I'm skeptical of that happening.

Still, Sam makes for an entertaining player in a lost season.

diehardtwinsfan
08-06-2012, 04:20 PM
If RA Dickey could figure out how to control a knuckle ball, then Deduno can figure out his fastball... If the kid ever learns to control it, the Twins just lucked out with an extremely valuable asset... I'm not expecting that. Like others said, if he gets a bit less wild with it, he should be a fairly servicable starter on a team that doesn't have nearly enough.

greengoblinrulz
08-24-2012, 08:43 PM
First 2 starts
9.2IP 12h 6er 5.87era 8k 8bb 2.07whip
Next 3 starts
19.1IP 10h 2er 0.93era 11k 12bb 1.14whip
Last 4 starts (including tonight)
22IP 26h 16er 6.55era 11k 17bb 1.95whip

Think we see where the abberation is (vs KC/Clev/Bos also)
Keep throwing him out there & he will take care of any arguement of whether he should be in the mix next year for MN