PDA

View Full Version : Where will we be listening to the Twins next year?

BrentMpls
08-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Whoever writes for Sid lately posted this:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/164679806.html?refer=y

"The decision isn't final, according to Twins officials, but odds are strong that KTWN, the FM radio station the Pohlad family bought for $28 million in 2007 and has been trying to sell, will carry Twins broadcasts next year and beyond. The word at Hubbard Broadcasting, owner of KSTP, is that it is unlikely 1500-AM will carry Twins broadcasts beyond this season."

I thought that was interesting since in 2010 I thought they had locked that up for 6 or 7 years, but doing some googling it looks like it was only 2.
http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2010/08/1500-espn-retains-twins-broadcast-rights-through-2012
http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/tv/96263309.html?refer=y

Any thoughts on what, if anything, that might change other than your dial and frequency?

also... sure hope that 2014 All Star Game announcement is made soon

greengoblinrulz
08-02-2012, 10:12 PM
what is the station the Pohlads bought

James
08-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Whoever writes for Sid lately posted this:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/164679806.html?refer=y

"The decision isn't final, according to Twins officials, but odds are strong that KTWN, the FM radio station the Pohlad family bought for $28 million in 2007 and has been trying to sell, will carry Twins broadcasts next year and beyond. The word at Hubbard Broadcasting, owner of KSTP, is that it is unlikely 1500-AM will carry Twins broadcasts beyond this season."

I thought that was interesting since in 2010 I thought they had locked that up for 6 or 7 years, but doing some googling it looks like it was only 2.
http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2010/08/1500-espn-retains-twins-broadcast-rights-through-2012
http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/tv/96263309.html?refer=y

Any thoughts on what, if anything, that might change other than your dial and frequency?

also... sure hope that 2014 All Star Game announcement is made soon
Interesting.

As far as the All-Star game goes, they won't announce that until some time next year. I think it happens in the May time frame. They didn't announce the 2013 ASG until May 16th. Most people knew where it was going to be already. In the announcement for the 2013 game, they even mentioned that the 2014 ASG will most likely be held at Target Field.

Jeremy Nygaard
08-02-2012, 10:31 PM
It appears to be 96.3 FM... used to be hip hop, now modern adult contemporary music.

Interesting nugget.

nicksaviking
08-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Seems kind of strange they bought a radio station and it took them 6 years to decide to give the station the broadcasting rights considering shortly after, they tried to start their own television station to have exclusive broadcasting rights to the Twins.

BrentMpls
08-02-2012, 10:38 PM
As far as the All-Star game goes, they won't announce that until some time next year. I think it happens in the May time frame. They didn't announce the 2013 ASG until May 16th. Most people knew where it was going to be already.

Normally yeah, but the media has been creating buzz that it will be announced this year. Selig when in town recently for the RBI was a possible time (didn't happen) but he did say "soon".

And FWIW DStP was saying 2013 was a possibility despite that being a National League year during 2010 and 2011, and even in early 2012 around Twins Fest time.

*shrug* I just want to know its going to be here so I can feel less bad about keeping my season tickets going :P

darin617
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't care who airs the broadcasts as long as it is not on 1500. It might be good if you live in the metro area but it sucked compare to WCCO on range of signal.

BrentMpls
08-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Seems kind of strange they bought a radio station and it took them 6 years to decide to give the station the broadcasting rights considering shortly after, they tried to start their own television station to have exclusive broadcasting rights to the Twins.

Yeah, it should be interesting to see what happens. KFAN was making hints that the Twins will go to a FM radio home when they switched to FM not too long ago.

KFAN currently has Vikes, Wild and Gopher Football. WCCO has TWolves.

KSTP is ESPN'd but it will be interesting to see if it can survive with just Gopher Basketball & Gopher Hockey. Also if they will dump their local programming and go all ESPN national or not.

BrentMpls
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't care who airs the broadcasts as long as it is not on 1500. It might be good if you live in the metro area but it sucked compare to WCCO on range of signal.

It is pretty bad compared to WCCO, even in downtown Minneapolis.

But it could affect other things, like programming before and after the broadcast. I don't think it would affect the during broadcast personalities, but I guess I don't know. And of course it could affect the local shows that are on 1500, if you care about any of that.

BrentMpls
08-02-2012, 10:54 PM
It appears to be 96.3 FM... used to be hip hop, now modern adult contemporary music.

Interesting nugget.

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2012/07/tony_fly_k_twin_laid_off.php

"What I read into that is that the whole radio station's ratings aren't moving and they needed to start doing something."

Pius Jefferson
08-03-2012, 03:11 AM
Of course Sid says that Hubbard won't broadcast Twins games. He's been sour ever since they left the old neighbor.

TheLeviathan
08-03-2012, 08:34 AM
96.3 isn't much better than 1500 in terms of range.

jctwins
08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
96.3 isn't much better than 1500 in terms of range.

High frequency AM sucks in a metro area. I can't get it half the time between Eden Prairie and Shakopee. This would be a huge improvement for the local area, and everyone else is on the radio network anyway, so it wouldn't make a difference to them.

TheLeviathan
08-03-2012, 08:53 AM
High frequency AM sucks in a metro area. I can't get it half the time between Eden Prairie and Shakopee. This would be a huge improvement for the local area, and everyone else is on the radio network anyway, so it wouldn't make a difference to them.

See I can't get 96.3 on the east side of the metro since I think they broadcast out of Shakopee.

jctwins
08-03-2012, 09:17 AM
See I can't get 96.3 on the east side of the metro since I think they broadcast out of Shakopee.

That sucks. This team can be so Bush League sometimes.

Brock Beauchamp
08-03-2012, 09:21 AM
What is this "radio" thing everybody keeps talking about in this thread?

crarko
08-03-2012, 09:24 AM
What is this "radio" thing everybody keeps talking about in this thread?

It's what they redirect to stream to the MLB app on a smartphone.

John Bonnes
08-03-2012, 10:42 AM
I've been paying attention to this for obvious reasons. Here is my take, fwiw, which is not much.

If i remember right, the deal signed last year extends through next season so we're talking about the 2014 season. Last time around, I think KFAN, WCCO and KSTP all bid. KSTP won because they pay the Twins $1M for the rights and get NONE of the in-game advertising revenue, which the Twins market and sell too. So KSTP is essentially paying $1M (a lot in radio land) for the bounce effect of having listeners end up on their dial every night. I assume ESPN is involved somehow, but don't know enough to know who is paying who.

BTW that $1M price tag is why the Twins left WCCO. Or it might have been that along with the Twins switching to the model where they get the in-game revenue. I don't think any other station has really been nearly as aggressive as KSTP in that regard. When the stations bid, it isn't just about that money. It's also about how much they'll focus on the team during the day (which is essentially like advertising them), what they will commit to the pregame/postgame show, etc. And often, it isn't the radio station paying the teams. In the Wolves case, I'm almost sure they were paying the radio stations to broadcast their games.

As for 2014, I really think KSTP will again be the most aggressive financially. They have to be. WCCO doesn't seem to be able to be that aggressive financially any more. KFAN doesn't need to be that aggressive - they're #1 virtually from morning to night in their key demographic. They'll likely try to convince the Twins that their reach and coverage will benenfit the Twins (and their advertisers) more than KSTP and that makes up for the $1M. That's not a bad argument. But one sticking point might be that there will be conflicts in September with Vikings/Gophers games.

As for KTWN, I thnk it is typically brilliant Pohlad maneuvering. They buy a station, try to operate it so it doesn't lose money, but a good chunk of its value comes as leverage for their radio contract. I'm sure the Twins will claim that it will be nice to have their own all-day coverage which they can control. (And I don't doubt they believe it. They very much like to control their message.) They also have established this Treasure Island Baseball Network, and they could build that out. Finally, if the Twins move to KTWN, they would develop an asset for the Pohlads. But I just can't believe they'll actually moving to a fairly small FM station.

So ultimately, I think they'll end up on KSTP again. They can't afford to let them go. (And I think the Twins know that, which is why they float this KTWN thing.) Somehow the ESPN partnership will help them out. But if KFAN really wanted to try and deliver a death blow, they could commit to go strong and get it and see if it knocks KSTP out of the sports radio biz.

(Actually, that's another good point for the Twins staying with KSTP. Going to KFAN might mean no real competition - other than KTWN - at the next round of negotiations.)

jctwins
08-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I've been paying attention to this for obvious reasons. Here is my take, fwiw, which is not much.

Serious question. Do they know who can hear the games where? I literally can't pick up the game or pre/post game for that matter in my house because of the interference at that frequency. As I said I lose it half the time driving around in the SW suburbs, too. It's seems unreal to me that a local baseball team would be on a frequency that is that unreliable in a metro area. As was pointed out before, this was a huge benefit to the low frequency WCCO frequency back in the day.

DPJ
08-03-2012, 10:51 AM
I can't get KFAN up north on my boat so screw them, NTM no regulars on that stations know jack-sh*t about baseball.

Hope they stay with 1500, it's been that way since I was little and I ****ing hate change.

John Bonnes
08-03-2012, 10:55 AM
BTW, if you're intersted in the latest radio ratings, here was what David Brauer of Minnpost published in May:

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2012/05/new-buzn-k-twin-formats-shake-twin-cities-radio-ratings

Brock Beauchamp
08-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Hope they stay with 1500, it's been that way since I was little and I ****ing hate change.

This sentence is cracking me up for some reason.

DPJ
08-03-2012, 10:58 AM
This sentence is cracking me up for some reason.

Wait a minute, was it always 1500 or was is 840 with WCCO?

Either way the point stands.

TheLeviathan
08-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Serious question. Do they know who can hear the games where? I literally can't pick up the game or pre/post game for that matter in my house because of the interference at that frequency. As I said I lose it half the time driving around in the SW suburbs, too. It's seems unreal to me that a local baseball team would be on a frequency that is that unreliable in a metro area. As was pointed out before, this was a huge benefit to the low frequency WCCO frequency back in the day.

Also, is it just me or are there some nights, during the game broadcast that 1500 appears to be dead air? Especially if you're in the Woodbury area?

I think switching would be a mistake. 1500 devotes significant time to the Twins and have pretty knowledgeable guys talking about it. KFAN always feels so forced with their Twins talk. (Though, admittedly, I haven't listened to anything on KFAN before noon in months. I found I was leaking brain-matter out of my ears directly proportional to the presence of The Power Trip or Paul Allen on the radio)

DPJ
08-03-2012, 11:04 AM
KFAN always feels so forced with their Twins talk. (Though, admittedly, I haven't listened to anything on KFAN before noon in months. I found I was leaking brain-matter out of my ears directly proportional to the presence of The Power Trip or Paul Allen on the radio)

Common and Bumb are the only things worth listening to on that station.

TheLeviathan
08-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Common and Bumb are the only things worth listening to on that station.

*Insert obnoxious "Whoa!" sounder from Paul Allen show*

How does anyone tolerate the talentless, knowledge-less hacks they have on before Common? Hell, Common's bit is to be a talentless, knowledge-less hack and he's better at it than the guys that actually are!

spideyo
08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
What could also happen is they stay on 1500AM, but cut a deal so that they can simulcast on 96.3FM. Don't the vikes have games on the AM and FM dial? Currently you can get games on 107.1FM, but only on their "HD2" station, so if you don't have an HD radio you are out of luck.

DPJ
08-03-2012, 11:28 AM
*Insert obnoxious "Whoa!" sounder from Paul Allen show*

How does anyone tolerate the talentless, knowledge-less hacks they have on before Common? Hell, Common's bit is to be a talentless, knowledge-less hack and he's better at it than the guys that actually are!

I haven't listened to PA since he had the sidekick that smoked crack, but he's like Dave. Constantly selling hope for the ****ty local team, I get why he's popular even though he's just a Tony Bruno rip-off.

I know John is on the AM show so I'll leave that alone, but yeah it's...it is what it is.

TheLeviathan
08-03-2012, 11:34 AM
I know John is on the AM show so I'll leave that alone, but yeah it's...it is what it is.

Oh, didn't know that - my apologies John. But um, yeah, those guys are the problem.

jctwins
08-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Wait a minute, was it always 1500 or was is 840 with WCCO?

Either way the point stands.

It was 830 when you were little. They just went to ****ty 1500 a few years ago.

jokin
08-03-2012, 12:17 PM

As for KTWN, I thnk it is typically brilliant Pohlad maneuvering. They buy a station, try to operate it so it doesn't lose money, but a good chunk of its value comes as leverage for their radio contract. I'm sure the Twins will claim that it will be nice to have their own all-day coverage which they can control. (And I don't doubt they believe it. They very much like to control their message.) They also have established this Treasure Island Baseball Network, and they could build that out. Finally, if the Twins move to KTWN, they would develop an asset for the Pohlads. But I just can't believe they'll actually moving to a fairly small FM station.

So ultimately, I think they'll end up on KSTP again. They can't afford to let them go. (And I think the Twins know that, which is why they float this KTWN thing.) Somehow the ESPN partnership will help them out. But if KFAN really wanted to try and deliver a death blow, they could commit to go strong and get it and see if it knocks KSTP out of the sports radio biz.

(Actually, that's another good point for the Twins staying with KSTP. Going to KFAN might mean no real competition - other than KTWN - at the next round of negotiations.)

Nice analysis and demonstration of how the Pohlad's conduct business and play for keeps. "Fairly small FM station"? I only know of the station's existence when accidentally landing on it, their numbers are microscopic, I didn't even know the call letters until yesterday. From MNPost in May: "K-TWIN, which dumped hip-hop for a rock-based format and local morning show, sunk like a stone. In March, the station had to a 1.7 percent share of the total Twin Cities audience, down from a 4.1 a year earlier."

DPJ
08-03-2012, 12:20 PM
It was 830 when you were little. They just went to ****ty 1500 a few years ago.

My mistake, but I get 1500 on the boat and nothing helps fishing like listening to Blackburn get yanked in the 3rd.

GCTF
08-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Also, is it just me or are there some nights, during the game broadcast that 1500 appears to be dead air?

That's just Gladden with his homerun call.

nicksaviking
08-03-2012, 01:15 PM
I still listen to KFAN, but only PA and Common attempt to give the Twins proper coverage, and one is rarely critical because he's got so many connections to the team, and the other is rarely positive because sarcasm is his bit.

Otherwise you get stuff like the Power Trip that gets hijacked by Cory Cove every day trying to make everyone think stuff that he doesn't care for is boring and pointless and the only league that matters is the NBA. Sorry John, but I'm still ticked off at that guy for spoiling the Olympic results yesterday morning without giving any spoiler alert warnings. He said it so smugly it was easy to tell he was enjoying ruining the broadcast later in the evening for anyone who was planning on watching.

Rosterman
08-03-2012, 01:23 PM
I drive from St. Paul to White Bear and lose the game totally.

Also, not a lot of admiration for pre and post game showcases, on the whole. For any of his shortcomings, still liked Dark Star after a game.

Pohlad radio, pure leverage. The Twins Broadcast network...basically what the major TV stations do...we control the product and the advertising and maybe throw a few local biggets your way to keep you happy.

John Bonnes
08-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Well, I'll stick up for my boys and PA too, and not just because I know them.

I've been a fan of P.A. & Dubay since literally their first week of replacing Jesse and I still like that show. I love that he loves sports and is unapologetic for it. I love that he loves the home teams (me too) and is unapologetic for it. And I don't have a problem with him being subjective provided he doesn't pretend to be objective, and he absolutely doesn't. And he knows a lot of sports several levels deeper than most. He's the closest thing to a sports geek in this market.

As for the Powertrip, I haven't always been an avid listener - for instance back when there was the whole Stomp The Star thing. They also don't pretend that they LOVE sports, or that's all they want to talk about (except maybe football. Lord, do all three of them love football.) So if I only wanted sports talk, they're probably not my choice. But they're entertaining way beyond sports and I can honestly say that the reason I go in there twice per week is because I can count on at least one good belly laugh, sometimes of the gross variety, and that's not something we middle-aged dads get to do very often. FWIW, they're the second rated morning show in the Twin Cities and within a couple of percentage points of KQ, last I heard.

John Bonnes
08-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Also, about "do they know where their signal is strong or weak" I think the answer is yes, they hear about that. But it's complicated to fix. I get the sense that some radios work in a certain area and some don't, or that the signal can be affected by electrical interference on some roads but not on others. In general, I think the FM signal is stronger these days, which is one reason that KFAN switched. (The other reason is that a lot of people have FM only radios now.)

BrentMpls
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM
On the subject of station quality, I think it can be broken down to the appeal of either personality or content, and if you are lucky enough to have both.

When it comes to KFAN, my opinion on the shows are:

Power Trip - Having a local show on before 9am is nice. Sludge lives up to his name and is hard to listen to, he is very negative and has tastes that don't mesh with mine in the slightest. Hearing about how 311 is better than the Beatles daily - need more be said? Chris I don't have a strong opinion on other than again, very different interests. Mike can have fun stories and in general is fun to listen to, I like him. I never go out of my way to turn this show on however, it just isn't that good. I remember in 2010 when the Twins were playing game 1 vs the Yanks in the post season they didn't mention the Twins ONCE during the entire show when they giggled about it at the end before sign off and said "oh yeah I guess the Twins are playing tonight" after spending hours blabbing about meaningless Vikings preseason minutia.

PA - Unlistenable. PA is all about promoting PA. Anything non-Vikings related discussed is most likely due to the partnership with FSN where they send Coom-Dog, Laudner or someone else over to endure him for a segment of Baseball. Judd and Phunn on the other dial however is probably the best sports show in town right now - two fairly normal guys having decent discussions. Nothing too in depth, but at least its something.

Common - Common can be a lot of fun, he points out the ridiculous nature of PA and Rosen and others, but in a way they are comfortable with of course. It isn't a sports show even when sports are discussed, but he does tend to break things down on a normal level rather than keep things pedestalized more often than not. The Dark Star segment was always fun for Twins talk, even if Dark was towing the line most obviously for them. Over on the other dial Reusse and Mackey will talk ball more than any other program but Reusse never offers any insight and is usually promoting an agenda. Mackey can sometimes have a fun topic, but more than often will bring up something obnoxious and beat it to death (Obsessed over bringing Punto back, "Mauer-haters" are morons, not focussing on anything other than one aspect of the topic, LeBron love overload, etc....). So it's a tough listen. Baseball will be there but it's not good hosts. Common might not break down last nights game but he can be entertaining at least.

Barreiro - See section on PA only add bad politics. I'll take Souch any day of the week over this.

Gleeman & the Geek is the only sports related content on KFAN that offers anything insight or fun discussion on baseball.

mike wants wins
08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Well, we could not disagree more on the various personalities.....as for where the games are carried, I prefer a dedicated sports station, so we get good shows and discussions, especially pre and post game

jctwins
08-03-2012, 03:50 PM
On the subject of station quality, I think it can be broken down to the appeal of either personality or content, and if you are lucky enough to have both.

When it comes to KFAN, my opinion on the shows are:

Power Trip - Having a local show on before 9am is nice. Sludge lives up to his name and is hard to listen to, he is very negative and has tastes that don't mesh with mine in the slightest. Hearing about how 311 is better than the Beatles daily - need more be said? Chris I don't have a strong opinion on other than again, very different interests. Mike can have fun stories and in general is fun to listen to, I like him. I never go out of my way to turn this show on however, it just isn't that good. I remember in 2010 when the Twins were playing game 1 vs the Yanks in the post season they didn't mention the Twins ONCE during the entire show when they giggled about it at the end before sign off and said "oh yeah I guess the Twins are playing tonight" after spending hours blabbing about meaningless Vikings preseason minutia.

PA - Unlistenable. PA is all about promoting PA. Anything non-Vikings related discussed is most likely due to the partnership with FSN where they send Coom-Dog, Laudner or someone else over to endure him for a segment of Baseball. Judd and Phunn on the other dial however is probably the best sports show in town right now - two fairly normal guys having decent discussions. Nothing too in depth, but at least its something.

Common - Common can be a lot of fun, he points out the ridiculous nature of PA and Rosen and others, but in a way they are comfortable with of course. It isn't a sports show even when sports are discussed, but he does tend to break things down on a normal level rather than keep things pedestalized more often than not. The Dark Star segment was always fun for Twins talk, even if Dark was towing the line most obviously for them. Over on the other dial Reusse and Mackey will talk ball more than any other program but Reusse never offers any insight and is usually promoting an agenda. Mackey can sometimes have a fun topic, but more than often will bring up something obnoxious and beat it to death (Obsessed over bringing Punto back, "Mauer-haters" are morons, not focussing on anything other than one aspect of the topic, LeBron love overload, etc....). So it's a tough listen. Baseball will be there but it's not good hosts. Common might not break down last nights game but he can be entertaining at least.

Barreiro - See section on PA only add bad politics. I'll take Souch any day of the week over this.

Gleeman & the Geek is the only sports related content on KFAN that offers anything insight or fun discussion on baseball.

Pretty much everything in this post is right. PA is awful, unlistenable, and any other adjective that means bad.

Common is the best thing going on radio today.

Power Trip is only OK when Rosey is on.

TheLeviathan
08-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Pretty much everything in this post is right. PA is awful, unlistenable, and any other adjective that means bad.

Common is the best thing going on radio today.

Power Trip is only OK when Rosey is on.

This. PA isn't awful because he is a blatant homer - he's awful because he sounds like one of the radio guys on The Simpsons. Annoying sounders, obnoxious (borderline creepy at times) jokes, over-the-top catchphrases, and non-stop shallow opinions. The only time his show is tolerable is when Charch is adding expertise and normalcy to his otherwise streaming mass of stupidity.

The Power Trip couldn't name half the teams in baseball. All of Morris' takes boil down to "You know....that player....could be really good....if he, um.....plays good." Sadly, he's the most insightful, talented, and entertaining of the bunch. Their ratings are more a product of limited competition than actual entertainment value.

I like Bump, but Barreiro is better when he talks politics and social issues than sports. Personally, I like that. If it's all sports all the time you get 47 consecutive days of "will Dwight Howard" be traded. Eventually even sports can become nauseatingly repetitive if it isn't balanced out.

USAFChief
08-03-2012, 08:12 PM
I still think it was a mistake to take a few more dollars and leave 'CCO.

John Bonnes
08-03-2012, 11:51 PM

I would agree if it was just the money, but could WCCO cover the Twins the way KSTP does? I don't think so. WCCO was never going to be an all sports station and it's nowhere near the talk station giant it used to be. I'm not sure why - they certainly have the signal strength. But they seem a little lost. I'm not sure a talk station can be super-successful any more if it doesn't focus on either sports or politics (and it has to be either a left or right side of politics). So long as they don't embrace one of these, I'm not sure they can still succeed as the "community focused talk station" that they used to be.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Gophers - both football and hockey/basketball - dropped them too.

jctwins
08-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I would agree if it was just the money, but could WCCO cover the Twins the way KSTP does? I don't think so. WCCO was never going to be an all sports station and it's nowhere near the talk station giant it used to be. I'm not sure why - they certainly have the signal strength. But they seem a little lost. I'm not sure a talk station can be super-successful any more if it doesn't focus on either sports or politics (and it has to be either a left or right side of politics). So long as they don't embrace one of these, I'm not sure they can still succeed as the "community focused talk station" that they used to be.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Gophers - both football and hockey/basketball - dropped them too.

As long as I have to listen to Soucheray bitch about stuff like flashlights and starting the lawn mower in the garage, 1500 will never be a sports station. WCCO could do the same thing they do in a heartbeat.

ltwedt
08-04-2012, 02:15 PM
ANYTHING but AM1500!!!!!

USAFChief
08-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Nothing says "major league" like a third rate AM station that can't be heard a few miles from the stadium.

mrmpls
08-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Interesting.

As far as the All-Star game goes, they won't announce that until some time next year. I think it happens in the May time frame. They didn't announce the 2013 ASG until May 16th. Most people knew where it was going to be already. In the announcement for the 2013 game, they even mentioned that the 2014 ASG will most likely be held at Target Field.Twins will wait till season ticket renewal date and use it as a lure for people to renew. its all about the $$$$

snepp
08-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Nothing says "major league" like a third rate AM station that can't be heard a few miles from the stadium.

Pretty much.

We used to listen to the Twins on 830....in the very southwest corner of Minnesota.

mike wants wins
08-04-2012, 05:42 PM

I like 1500 more, because the games are not interrupted for rain and hail reports from old people calling into the station. I really like to hear the game when the game is going on. Big plus for 1500.

nokomismod
08-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I can't get KFAN up north on my boat so screw them, NTM no regulars on that stations know jack-sh*t about baseball.

Man, I agree that KFan's hosts are horrible when it comes to baseball. I almost think it's on purpose to drive down the value of the Twins for the upcoming negotiations.

nokomismod
08-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Barrero has some good guests and he gets some good discussions going. I do think he talks a ton of sh*t about pitch to contact and Mauer. He stills seems to have some complex about not being from Mn (just needs to get over that).

USAFChief
08-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Barrero has some good guests and he gets some good discussions going. I do think he talks a ton of sh*t about pitch to contact and Mauer. He stills seems to have some complex about not being from Mn (just needs to get over that).

I work a lot of night shift and have a 1.5 hr drive to work. I listen to Barreiro almost every day on the way (IHeartRadio is pretty neat), and I think he's one of the more entertaining and fascinating sports talk hosts I've ever heard.

greengoblinrulz
08-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Never thought Souchery is a good lead in for Twins as the diehard sports fans waiting for the game turn him off.
Would think the Twins would want a more baseball themed show for the preceding couple hrs. Could that be a negotiating tool as Souch has really started to limit his hrs on station over past couple yrs.

Darin Bratsch
08-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I miss the days of Twins games on 'CCO out here in WC Minnesota. It was easy to get them on the radio and they didn't fade out at night like now even with local radio stations on the network. GO back to WCCO!

purplesoldier
08-06-2012, 04:31 PM
John, remember KQRS bid on the deal and really wanted in on the broadcast rights. In fact, if I remember correctly, KQ had the most lucrative offer.