PDA

View Full Version : Mastroanni

TheLeviathan
08-01-2012, 06:09 PM
This came up the other night in the game thread....but giving this guy some significant time at 2B in September is worth a shot right? Does anyone know about his past with this position?

His bat and speed are intriguing - especially when you look at what we have available at the position in the near future.

Badsmerf
08-01-2012, 06:35 PM
6 games there this year, 100% fielding and 3.4 range factor. In 2007 61 games .962% with a 4.16 range factor. Not too bad. Think it would be worth a shot at least.

Buck Nasty
08-01-2012, 06:37 PM
It looks like he played 2nd his 1st year as a pro (A-) and then was switched to OF. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's probably a reach. Casilla will probably be gone next year. But I think they have Carroll signed for next year. So, a mix of Carroll, Dozier, Escobar, Floriman will probably cover SS, 2nd and UT. Plus it would not shock me if they try to get some value out of Nishi (I think he still has a year too). So, assuming he isn't embarrassing himself at AAA he could be in the mix next year too (*shudder*).

notoriousgod71
08-01-2012, 06:45 PM
At least Mastraionni has one legit tool. He could be an Emilio Bonafacio type player sans switch hitting.

I wonder if extended AB might expose him, but at this point it's worth a shot. We have nothing to lose.

Nick Nelson
08-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Don't think his bat will hold up as a starter anywhere, but he's looking like a quality 4th OF and a very nice RH complement to Revere.

Thrylos
08-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Mastroanni.

Mastraionni.

M-A-S-T-R-O-I-A-N-N-I

DickNBert pronounce it like the first version above, but it is incorrect.

I like him. I think he is probably the best 4th OF the Twins have had recently

TheLeviathan
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
I don't have any delusion of him being a star, but people might think he's a lefty killer, but his splits are pretty even. He brings a lot of speed, mediocre pop, and a pretty aggressive approach. It's worth a shot IMO.

USAFChief
08-02-2012, 03:06 AM
It's entertaining to see the same poster who spent thousands of words this spring (on another site) ridiculing the idea that Plouffe--who made it to the major leagues as a SS--might be an interesting option at 2nd base...turn around and propose putting an outfielder there.

TheLeviathan
08-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Have you seen him play it? If he's bad at it like Plouffe is I retract my experiment request. I saw Plouffe play short terribly and posters here have made solid points about why third works for Plouffe and middle infield probably never will. You can cling to your delusion though.

Brock Beauchamp
08-02-2012, 07:29 AM
It might be worth a shot, it might not. Honestly, I don't really care much because I don't think Mastrioanni has the bat to start anywhere.

But I'm pleasantly surprised at his play as fourth outfielder.

Mauerzy4Prez
08-02-2012, 07:53 AM
I have brought up this notion in the past as well and think it is something the Twins should seriously consider in September. I wonder if the main reason he was moved to OF in the minors was because of his speed? Quickness and footwork in the middle infield is critical, but a guy like Mastro can just flat out run, and I bet many MLB organizations would be tempted to me him to the outfield.

If anything it would add to his versatility as a big league player and make him a better tool for the club. Sadly, like many hopes and dreams we all have on here, I am sure the Twins will do the exact opposite.

crarko
08-02-2012, 08:07 AM
I'd say give it a shot. You know pretty much what Carroll and Casilla bring, and until Rosario is ready to come up you might as well keep auditioning.

PS - hopefully Escobar gets called up in Sept. to push Dozier as well.

Kirby_Waved_At_Me
08-02-2012, 08:35 AM
I think the Twins have found a position (4th outfielder) and a workload for Mastroianni that really works for him and benefits the team. Even as the younger guys come up, he still can fill that role. I suppose adding the flexibility of second base makes him a bit more valuable . . . however I agree with several others that it's possible he'll lose production if he gets too many at bats.

TheLeviathan
08-02-2012, 09:17 AM
It might be worth a shot, it might not. Honestly, I don't really care much because I don't think Mastrioanni has the bat to start anywhere.

I guess I struggle with the idea that Mastro's bat won't make it but Dozier's inept play somehow warrants a continued look?

Brock Beauchamp
08-02-2012, 09:21 AM
I guess I struggle with the idea that Mastro's bat won't make it but Dozier's inept play somehow warrants a continued look?

Well, Dozier is a natural middle infielder, is a year younger than Darin, and posted an OPS .060 higher in the minors than Mastrioanni.

Like I said, I'm not necessarily against the idea if the Twins think Darin could pull it off. I just don't think that his numbers give much hope for MI relief, especially since he hasn't played there in quite some time.

Personally, I think it makes more sense to try to move Revere to second (though, with his current play, I'm not crazy about that idea either... leave him be).

TheLeviathan
08-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Well, Dozier is a natural middle infielder, is a year younger than Darin, and posted an OPS .060 higher in the minors than Mastrioanni.

Like I said, I'm not necessarily against the idea if the Twins think Darin could pull it off. I just don't think that his numbers give much hope for MI relief, especially since he hasn't played there in quite some time.

Personally, I think it makes more sense to try to move Revere to second (though, with his current play, I'm not crazy about that idea either... leave him be).

I don't want to randomnly move people, I'm just intrigued he played it in the past. If they moved him because he's inept at the position - than I don't even want to experiment. But if they moved him because they felt it was a better fit or organizational need....then it may be worth a gamble.

At this point Dozier isn't showing much of anything to make me think he can be a starter. He's a rookie and he could reverse things, but he's been downright putrid now all season. With the lack of organizational options, I'm game to try Mastro there if he can capably field it.

I'm not interested in throwing anyone out there that will be a liability in the field.

DPJ
08-02-2012, 09:30 AM

.890 OPS with pluys defense!!!

Boom Boom
08-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Don't think his bat will hold up as a starter anywhere, but he's looking like a quality 4th OF and a very nice RH complement to Revere.

I don't think Revere needs a platoon compliment. He hits RH and LH pitching about the same.

TheLeviathan
08-02-2012, 09:33 AM
I don't think Revere needs a platoon compliment. He hits RH and LH pitching about the same.

SSS - so does Mastro. These aren't your classic platoon guys.

Maybe Mastro can play CF on the road - that's where we need a platoon.

Brock Beauchamp
08-02-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't want to randomnly move people, I'm just intrigued he played it in the past. If they moved him because he's inept at the position - than I don't even want to experiment. But if they moved him because they felt it was a better fit or organizational need....then it may be worth a gamble.

True. If they moved him because they needed an OF, it would make a lot of sense to move him back because the team now needs IF help.

Brock Beauchamp
08-02-2012, 09:35 AM

Oh, shut it. :D

Boom Boom
08-02-2012, 09:37 AM
SSS - so does Mastro. These aren't your classic platoon guys.

Maybe Mastro can play CF on the road - that's where we need a platoon.

I'm not crazy about Revere as a starting corner OF, platoon or not.

SpiritofVodkaDave
08-02-2012, 09:51 AM
2012 off-season- Trade Span for pitching
2013 off-season- Trade Revere for pitching
2014 OF alignment- Hicks CF, Arcia, Benson, Willingham DH, Mastrio 4th OF

DPJ
08-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Oh, shut it. :D

I'm gonna give you **** about that forever.

Brock Beauchamp
08-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm gonna give you **** about that forever.

In all fairness, I said that I never expected him to repeat his .890 OPS... But I thought .800 was possible.

TheLeviathan
08-02-2012, 10:01 AM
In all fairness, I said that I never expected him to repeat his .890 OPS... But I thought .800 was possible.

Might wanna cut that one in half at this point.

DPJ
08-02-2012, 10:04 AM

I'm just giving you **** man, it's no big deal.

The one thing that makes me question if Doz will ever be a starting player is controling the strike zone. He was so good in the minors at talking walks and rarely striking out and now that seems like the complete opposite since he's been in the majors. I didn't expect him to come up and rake right away, but I thought he'd walk enough to be valuable still he figured things out.

Brock Beauchamp
08-02-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm just giving you **** man, it's no big deal.

The one thing that makes me question if Doz will ever be a starting player is controling the strike zone. He was so good in the minors at talking walks and rarely striking out and now that seems like the complete opposite since he's been in the majors. I didn't expect him to come up and rake right away, but I thought he'd walk enough to be valuable still he figured things out.

That's what I find baffling about him. Coming through the minors, his calling cards were steady hands on defense and good plate discipline.

Inextricably, those are his two biggest weaknesses in the majors.

DPJ
08-02-2012, 10:13 AM
That's what I find baffling about him. Coming through the minors, his calling cards were steady hands on defense and good plate discipline.

Inextricably, those are his two biggest weaknesses in the majors.

Rookie jitters, speed of the game...who knows.

Atleast Gardy has let him play and hasn't jerked him around like so many rookies of the past.

USAFChief
08-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Its pretty rare to see poeple move from OF to middle IF. My guess is if Mastro had the defensive chops to stick at 2b be would never have been moved to OF in the first place. Fielding ground balls is tougher than catching fly balls. Thats why most major leaguers were SS's somewhere in their past but keep getting moved to easier positions as they enter pro ball or move through the minors.

Could Mastro give you an inning or two, maybe a game, without killing you? Yeah probably. Thinking he can learn to play 2nd base full time at this point? Extremely doubtful.

Brock Beauchamp
08-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Atleast Gardy has let him play and hasn't jerked him around like so many rookies of the past.

Yeah, that's something. I'd hate to see Carroll take playing time from Dozier in what hasn't been anything more than a lost season since early May.

TheLeviathan
08-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Its pretty rare to see poeple move from OF to middle IF. My guess is if Mastro had the defensive chops to stick at 2b be would never have been moved to OF in the first place. Fielding ground balls is tougher than catching fly balls. Thats why most major leaguers were SS's somewhere in their past but keep getting moved to easier positions as they enter pro ball or move through the minors.

Could Mastro give you an inning or two, maybe a game, without killing you? Yeah probably. Thinking he can learn to play 2nd base full time at this point? Extremely doubtful.

That's the most likely situation, so I agree. I guess I was just curious if anyone had heard, read, or had other information. Players get shuffled around in the minors not always because it fits them best, but because of organizational strengths/weaknesses.

I'd like to see him get some spot innings there in September, just to see what his chops actually are. No high hopes, just an option that could help this team.

greengoblinrulz
08-02-2012, 11:41 AM
wouldnt say there is NO shot as Gardy played Brian Dinkelman alot last Sept after not playing alot of infield the past couple yrs.
However, Id say its more likely that Dozier will play some 2B with Escobar at SS.

stringer bell
08-02-2012, 01:08 PM
mass-troy-onni seems to have one plus tool--speed combined with the skills to be quite the base stealer. I don't think he could develop to be an asset as a hitter, but I wouldn't shed tears if he played some second base in order to get into the lineup more often. Am I the only one that is not impressed with his defense in the outfield? I've seen him misplay several balls and drop a not-difficult catch in a small amount of time. He doesn't seem to have a big arm either. Repko was a very good defensive outfielder but couldn't hit much and didn't have quite enough speed to be a real threat on the bases.

DPJ
08-02-2012, 02:42 PM
wouldnt say there is NO shot as Gardy played Brian Dinkelman alot last Sept after not playing alot of infield the past couple yrs.

Gardy was just looking for enough bodies to make a lineup at the end of last season.

jeffk
08-02-2012, 03:07 PM

I don't know about his past or projected future, but this year his 104 OPS+ pegs him as a dead-average hitter, which would play pretty well as a starter at 2B - particularly with what we've been fielding there for the last few years.

diehardtwinsfan
08-02-2012, 03:28 PM

He's shown flashes of talent... It's probably a bit early to give up. I don't remember anying saying plus defense... or .890 OPS, but he could top out above average with the bat and play average defense... He has the track record, and it isn't as if he's blocking anyone. Let the kid play.

TheLeviathan
08-02-2012, 04:55 PM
He's shown flashes of talent... It's probably a bit early to give up. I don't remember anying saying plus defense... or .890 OPS, but he could top out above average with the bat and play average defense... He has the track record, and it isn't as if he's blocking anyone. Let the kid play.

The only problem is that sometimes you hurt a kid's future by continually allowing him to fail. Right now Dozier isn't succeeding at much of anything, so confidence can start to become an issue. As has been said here already - he's not even doing the things he normally does right.

BrentMpls
08-04-2012, 12:30 AM
I really enjoy seeing him run the bases

TheLeviathan
08-04-2012, 08:11 AM
I really enjoy seeing him run the bases

Yeah, when's the last time we had a guy this aggressive? Gladden?

Brock Beauchamp
08-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Yeah, when's the last time we had a guy this aggressive? Gladden?

Chad Allen.

Brandon
08-04-2012, 09:43 AM
maybe he could go to instructional league after the season to work on 2b. that is probably better than using major league games to determine if he can play 2B. If he shows some promise then next season he starts out as a 4th OF backup 2b pinch runner and can continue to show he can hit and work on 2nd base then he could go back to instructional league and win 2b job in 2014. That would be a more realistic progression unless he is fielding ok and hitting over .300 at the breake next year.

Riverbrian
08-04-2012, 09:47 AM
TR said in his weekly Sunday interview that Mastroianni is the first guy at the park and he faithfully takes grounders everyday.

He has done a nice job in the lineup and has earned some playing time. I'm a fan. I like players who play hard.

His stats are decent... He helps the team when he plays... He works hard in the games... He's working hard pre game for the possibility of 2B... Yeah... You reward that.

He's blocked in the OF. I'm not sure why Gardy has waited this long. He must not be sharp taking those grounders.

If Gardy won't play him at 2B... At the very least.. Span Revere and Doumit could sit an extra game or so to get Darin in the lineup a hair more.