PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Joe C Article

DPJ
07-31-2012, 09:33 AM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/164351676.html

Something many of us have been complaining about the Twins doing for years. Selling low, buying high and not realizing when the moment was right.

gunnarthor
07-31-2012, 09:42 AM
I understand why the Twins didn't trade Young or Liriano after the 2010 season. They have sold high before - AJ, Knobby, Kielty, Aggie, Santana and even Garza (even if the returns weren't what you wanted, but that's a different thread) - so I think it has more to do with where the Twins are sitting than anything else. I agree that the Twins have a few sell high candidates - Span, Willingham, Perkins - that could be moved today or before next April.

I'm not sure Joe C's criticism of Hardy is well founded (oh, he sucks again, by the way). The Twins didn't have the money to keep Hardy, Pavano and Thome and chose to move Hardy and spend 15m on a Japanese all star. Oops.

Brock Beauchamp
07-31-2012, 09:45 AM
I wasn't on board with trading Liriano but trading Young wasn't a bad idea. Since Santana and Garza left, the Twins haven't exactly been overflowing with starting pitching. It would have been relatively easy to move Young with the excuse "we need more pitching and have plenty of offense" without setting off too many alarm bells to potential trade teams.

Badsmerf
07-31-2012, 10:14 PM
They have sold high before - AJ, Knobby, Kielty, Aggie, Santana and even Garza (even if the returns weren't what you wanted, but that's a different thread) - .

AJ- I really wouldn't call making room for Joe Mauer selling high. JR just got a nice haul for him.
Knobby- He wasn't happy in MN and everyone knew it.
Kielty- Might be your best example of JR getting it right. However, Kielty looked like he had put it together and many weren't excited about this trade.
Aggie- What are you referencing here? The Twins traded him to dump salary and didn't get anything in return.
Santana- If they sold so high, why didn't they get a legit MLB player in return? Answer: they waited until they were handcuffed and took a ****ty deal.
Garza- Selling high isn't what I would call this trade. This was a change of scenery trade that worked much better for the Rays than the twins.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
07-31-2012, 10:50 PM
I really like the Young trade in hindsight. 1/3 a year of him for Oliveros and Nelson is REALLY good. Should have traded him earlier of course, but Smith made a heck of a deal at the time.

Badsmerf
08-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I really like the Young trade in hindsight. 1/3 a year of him for Oliveros and Nelson is REALLY good. Should have traded him earlier of course, but Smith made a heck of a deal at the time.

Who does more drugs, you or Darryl Strawberry?

mike wants wins
08-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I too liked the Young trade. They got something for a guy they were not going to sign, and a division rival re- signed him. Win win for the Twins

YourHouseIsMyHouse
08-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Who does more drugs, you or Darryl Strawberry?
A power reliever and a low level arm who has room to grow for an August/September of guy we weren't going to re-sign anyway. It also freed up space for other outfielders to join the team. I don't know how anyone can criticize Bill Smith there. Coming from you I'm really not surprised though. You are my least favorite poster on here after all.

diehardtwinsfan
08-02-2012, 09:02 AM
The problem with the Young trade was that they overpaid to get him and sold low...

The problem with selling high, as has been suggested here, is that it is going to be very unpopular at the time. The Twins didn't have a good replacement for Young in 2010, and he was finally showing all that promise. They were also coming off of a 94 win season where fans had every reason to believe that they would repeat again in 2011. If everyone knew it was a mirage, then absolutely you sell and bite the bullet for popular backlash, but as Parker and others pointed out, Delmon made some real mechanical adjustments and it showed very nicely in the results.

The nice thing about dealing Span right now is that there are decent replacements for him... Revere is a stop gap (I suspect), but there's 3 guys in AA, any one of whom could step up and produce at some point come 2013... And all of them have much higher ceilings too.