PDA

View Full Version : Passan: Twins' Joe Mauer deserves MVP consideration

Parker Hageman
07-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Yahoo! Sports columnist Jeff Passan (https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/229240064645922816) tweeted today that Joe Mauer's hitting line of .332/.422/.454 should earn him some MVP considerations:

With one of the AL's top batting averages (currently third) and the highest on-base percentage in the league, it is easy to give it some consideration. However, given that there are eight other players with better weighted on-base averages (http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=y&type=8&season=2012&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&players=0) (wOBA) and WAR, the advanced statistics do not support Mauer's candidacy for the most valuable title.

gunnarthor
07-28-2012, 12:09 PM
I suppose he'll get some down ballot votes. Is there a comeback POY award? He could get that.

Erock
07-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Yeah, he deserves ballot votes, but that's about it. He has had a pretty good season, but other guys have had MVP seasons.

Bark's Lounge
07-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Is there a comeback POY award? He could get that.

100% agreed. It's nice to see Mauer doing well again.:)

benchwarmerjim
07-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Mauer 53 walks
Willingham 52 walks

both are on the AL Leaderboard in walks. I didnt think Willingham had that many.

Mauer has been great, but Willingham is sure making teams pay for letting the 1-3 batters get on (76 RBI so far) and should get a few votes too.

Kobs
07-28-2012, 04:26 PM
If Mauer were the regular catcher, sure. As a half-time catcher, not sure his numbers are good enough to be considered an MVP candidate, regardless of how good the team is.

Brock Beauchamp
07-28-2012, 04:34 PM
If Mauer were the regular catcher, sure. As a half-time catcher, not sure his numbers are good enough to be considered an MVP candidate, regardless of how good the team is.

Pretty much how I feel about it. If Mauer had caught 80 games at this point, sure, he should get a few 2nd/3rd/4th votes behind Trout.

But with half his ABs coming at first and DH? Nah, not so much.

nicksaviking
07-28-2012, 04:40 PM
How about if we ask the question about Willingham instead? What would happen if Willingham ended up getting traded to a team on the playoff bubble, especially and AL team, and ended up carrying them to the postseason? No doubt if Willingham was hitting like this for a contender his name would be in the discussion. Would voters overlook his stats with the lowly Twins and only judge him on his numbers with the contender?

70charger
07-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Mauer has been having a great season, that's a given. There are others I'd put ahead of him if I were an MVP voter, but the season isn't over today.

Willihammer
07-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Yesterday was a prime example: Mauer slicing two hits over the middle infielders heads - to be driven in by Morneau and Willingham home runs. Good, winning production from a catcher, certainly, but not the main events.

edit: On second thought, there are more times Mauer does the same, and Morneau and Willingham fizzle. His value is much less immediate, but it is still impactful. I have to redact previous comment: Mauer is having a MVP-discussion season by any measure, but it would be improved by catching more.

edit 2: I don't want Mauer to catch more.

one_eyed_jack
07-29-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm not sure how much MVP love he deserves, but no doubt he's had a impressive year. A lot of people were ready to lynch him when he was hitting .270 a month or so into the season, but he's been damn good since then.

I hope he can keep it up.

And if Morneau is going to be around next year, it sure would be nice to see him return to form as well.