PDA

View Full Version : John Shipley: Pohlad Hopes Ryan will be Permanent GM

East Coast Twin
07-28-2012, 04:19 AM
http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_21176133/minnesota-twins-owner-jim-pohlad-hopes-terry-ryan

"In our minds, he's permanent, but I can't speak for Terry," Pohlad said as he watched batting practice at Target Field on Friday, July 27. "We don't have any desire to see a change there, but we know that he's got to make that decision."

crapforks
07-28-2012, 06:09 AM
................. Nobody cares. It's the Twins. If it isn't JR, it will be BS. JR had his moments, BS ruined our dreams. Either way, the Twins aren't players. Ther are big and small markets, but there is no demand that the Twins make moves. This fanbase does not care!

diehardtwinsfan
07-28-2012, 07:23 AM
I kind of assumed Krivisky was being groomed for the job.

Top Gun
07-28-2012, 07:38 AM
The good old boy's of summer.

Thrylos
07-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Wasn't Pohlad Jr who gave a public vote of confidence through the TC press to Bill Smith after the 99 loss season a couple weeks before he canned him? This is indeed good news then

DAM DC Twins Fans
07-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I kind of assumed Krivisky was being groomed for the job.

I assume Krivisky too--I also think one year is not long enough to judge TR. He has to have time to recover from Bill Smith trades (like Delmon Young, Wilson Ramos) and build the system. The Twins tradeable assets (Span, Willingham, Revere) are limited.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Wasn't Pohlad Jr who gave a public vote of confidence through the TC press to Bill Smith after the 99 loss season a couple weeks before he canned him? This is indeed good news then

Except Ryan has done a damn fine job as GM this year, unless you think the Willingham and Doumit signings were garbage?

mike wants wins
07-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Except Ryan has done a damn fine job as GM this year, unless you think the Willingham and Doumit signings were garbage?

What? They are going to lose 90 games again, and didn't get any younger. Willingham and Doumit replaced guys they let leave, they did not sign one FA that successfully upgraded a position they didn't let leave other than the bullpen, which impacts less than 33% of the innings played. They did nothing (successful) to make the team any better at all. Nothing.

Of course he wants him back, the fans never blame Ryan for anything, even when they cut payroll in the third year of a new stadium. He's teflon.

johnnydakota
07-28-2012, 10:30 AM
once again terry"curly "ryan proved its better to be lucky then good...when he was trading a.j. he wanted boof bonser, not francisco , he stated with out boof i dont make the deal...he then stated boof was the key player of the trade....now he had 4 free agents, he offered all 4 pay cuts to return and only matt"the crapper" accepted, so ryan had to replace power pitching and try to fix a middle infield....he got lucky with willingham. doughnut(doumit) was an acceptible player to obtain , but marquis? carroll zumyaya(i liked this signing,but expected him to reinjure himself)terry ryan did nothing to fix the twins he came in got bargin basement band-aids over the hill players and sold the kool-aid to the fans and players....

its time for pohlad to be held accountable for his team...spend some of the 62 million they earned in 2011 and with payroll cuts and attendence twins llc are in line to profit even more this year....so go get a pair of front line pitchers resign baker to a incentive ladden contract hope diamond and the other 2 kids improve and that liam hendriks makes the same jump that scotty did this year...but we need 2 ,read it 2 front of the rotation pitchers..
the only credit i give ryan is for sifting through the garbage pile to find some arms for the pen ....

twinswon1991
07-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Ryan is just as guilty as BS for the BS years. BS was a money man and he relied on TR and his good old boys for perssonnel decisions. TR has made this team worse for the future by not investing on young FA building blocks and failing to spend the full draft allotment to upgrade the farm.

If he doesnt cash in the old vets like Willy, Frankie, Span etc for future building blocks he has done a. worse job than BS.

gunnarthor
07-28-2012, 11:56 AM
once again terry"curly "ryan proved its better to be lucky then good...when he was trading a.j. he wanted boof bonser, not francisco , he stated with out boof i dont make the deal...he then stated boof was the key player of the trade....now he had 4 free agents, he offered all 4 pay cuts to return and only matt"the crapper" accepted, so ryan had to replace power pitching and try to fix a middle infield....he got lucky with willingham. doughnut(doumit) was an acceptible player to obtain , but marquis? carroll zumyaya(i liked this signing,but expected him to reinjure himself)terry ryan did nothing to fix the twins he came in got bargin basement band-aids over the hill players and sold the kool-aid to the fans and players....

its time for pohlad to be held accountable for his team...spend some of the 62 million they earned in 2011 and with payroll cuts and attendence twins llc are in line to profit even more this year....so go get a pair of front line pitchers resign baker to a incentive ladden contract hope diamond and the other 2 kids improve and that liam hendriks makes the same jump that scotty did this year...but we need 2 ,read it 2 front of the rotation pitchers..
the only credit i give ryan is for sifting through the garbage pile to find some arms for the pen ....

The AJ deal - all three guys were keys to the trade. Seattle had a good offer as well which required SF to kick in Liriano to outbid Seattle. If any of the three players were excluded, Ryan wouldn't have done the deal. Ryan dramatically improved the teams offense - we were nearly as bad in 2011 as the 2010 Mariners. As a team, our OPS+ went from 84 to about 100 in one offseason. Ryan also dramatically improved our bullpen to the point that we have a few tradeable assets there. The rotation fell apart but Ryan deserves a chance to fix that. And, by the way, suggesting that Baker is an answer for next year is ridiculous. He'll be coming off TJ surgery. He'll struggle a lot.

johnnydakota
07-28-2012, 12:10 PM
is why i said incentilve ladden contract... in june or july ,you wouldnt want a scott baker to be called up to replace jaime moyer or jason marquis or posible replace bartolo colon..you know the guy terry "curly"ryan will sign on the cheap and try to claim is just the inning eater we need to become a respectible and feared rotation....? and as for his nickname, curly its because he is 1 of the 3 stooges that pohlad owns

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Lol so all of Ryan's great trades and pick ups were "luck" and the ones that didn't work out were his fault.

A lot of great baseball minds in this thread.

old nurse
07-28-2012, 01:24 PM
A lot of great baseball minds in this thread.

Nearly all show 20-20 hindsight, blind going forward on this board.

Highabove
07-28-2012, 01:41 PM
................. Nobody cares. It's the Twins. If it isn't JR, it will be BS. JR had his moments, BS ruined our dreams. Either way, the Twins aren't players. Ther are big and small markets, but there is no demand that the Twins make moves. This fanbase does not care!

Terry Ryan is not going to make moves based on what the Fans want or those on Twins Daily.
How is the Fan base suppose to show that they want to see moves? Signs are not allowed at Target Field.
The Fan Base cares about seeing a quality product on the Field. If not, they will continue the trend of showing up as empty seats.

Thrylos
07-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Signs are not allowed at Target Field.

For real? Then what is all the circle-me-Bert junk?

Highabove
07-28-2012, 03:31 PM

I stand partially corrected. Would the Twins tolerate a trade ----------------inside the Stadium?

minn55441
07-28-2012, 03:33 PM

Only hand-held signs are allowed. No bed sheets with spray paint. Although I have regulary seen a "spans fans" hanging from the upper deck behind home plate.

I believe it to be a more of a selectively enforced policy.

If you try and hang a sign that reads "trade everybody and start over" sign, I think it would be removed pretty quickly.

mike wants wins
07-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Really? You think questioning Marquis and Capps signings is hindsight? I don't think that word means what you think it means*

*if you don't know what movie that is from, I feel bad for you...

Kobs
07-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Ryan dramatically improved the teams offense - we were nearly as bad in 2011 as the 2010 Mariners. As a team, our OPS+ went from 84 to about 100 in one offseason.

He did do an amazing job of making Mauer healthy, getting Revere and Butera's BABIPs to jump 40 and 100 points,

nicksaviking
07-28-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd be ok with Ryan getting one more chance to fix the rotation. At the very minimum, he and the organization have finally shown in the last year that they are seeking pitchers in the draft and through trade that have the ability to keep guys from putting the ball in play. Even if he won't admit it, that indicates he realizes his past short-comings when it comes to evaluating pitchers.

Still, he needs to sign a veteran, possibly two, who are legit front end anchors. Ryan has given exactly ONE multi-year deal to a free agent starter who was not with the Twins the season before, and that was 36-year-old Bob Tewksbury in 1997. That probably surprises no one but none-the-less is shocking. Needless to say, you are not going to be getting an ace in free agency if you refuse to offer more than one year.

East Coast Twin
07-28-2012, 05:27 PM
I assume Krivisky too--

That's why I was surprised by Pohlad's comment regarding Ryan's position as permanent. From Ryan's response it sounds like he was caught off guard.

70charger
07-28-2012, 11:07 PM

This.

old nurse
07-29-2012, 04:48 AM
Really? You think questioning Marquis and Capps signings is hindsight? I don't think that word means what you think it means*

*if you don't know what movie that is from, I feel bad for you...
14/15 saves for Capps, though not pretty at times. Injuries happen. Yes questioning Capps signing given his numbers is poor. Capps, Crain or Guerrier. 1 out of the 3. Only one ever closed. All three had sub par seasons this year. About equal salaries. Whining about Capps is poor at best. Given what the Twins wanted to spend, Marquis signing was about the best they could do. About a .500 pitcher. Questioning his signg versus what at the time? Unproven Diamond. A reclamation project like Sheets that worked later in the season (for how long). Millwood is now 3-8. What was out there that was a free agent pitcher for the same money that worked. NONE. So yeas I think a lot of people on this board work well with hindsight and no foresight.

WTF about a movie? Why should I care about something someone made up? Really, you feel bad because I don't know a movie? As bad as I feel that people on this board expend negative energy towards others, feeling bad because someone does not know a movie? I might as well go read the complete works of Chris Chase.

Highabove
07-29-2012, 05:13 AM
14/15 saves for Capps, though not pretty at times. Injuries happen. Yes questioning Capps signing given his numbers is poor. Capps, Crain or Guerrier. 1 out of the 3. Only one ever closed. All three had sub par seasons this year. About equal salaries. Whining about Capps is poor at best. Given what the Twins wanted to spend, Marquis signing was about the best they could do. About a .500 pitcher. Questioning his signg versus what at the time? Unproven Diamond. A reclamation project like Sheets that worked later in the season (for how long). Millwood is now 3-8. What was out there that was a free agent pitcher for the same money that worked. NONE. So yeas I think a lot of people on this board work well with hindsight and no foresight.

WTF about a movie? Why should I care about something someone made up? Really, you feel bad because I don't know a movie? As bad as I feel that people on this board expend negative energy towards others, feeling bad because someone does not know a movie? I might as well go read the complete works of Chris Chase.

Hindsight?? Before the Season started, most of the Forum did not like the two pickups. Go back and read some past postings.

Highabove
07-29-2012, 05:37 AM
You spend a little more, you probaly get a reliable pitcher. Scrape the bottom, you risk throwing away your Money like a cheap TV.

Here's a start, a little hindsight yes, but a great Baseball man like Ryan should be able to pluck a few of these.
Paul Maholm 4.7 million
Erik Bedard 4.5 million
Chris Capuano 9million total for 2 years + 1 mil buyout.
There will be a large class of these mid level Guys next year.

raindog
07-29-2012, 05:46 AM
Of course he wants him back, the fans never blame Ryan for anything, even when they cut payroll in the third year of a new stadium. He's teflon.

Yes, because it was Terry Ryan who made this decision, not the Pohlads. :confused:

raindog
07-29-2012, 05:52 AM
At the risk of being hypocritical, I have to say this.

"mike wants wins" and "twinswon1991" are absolutely killing this board with their obnoxious negativity. They poison, every, single, thread. It's not that I don't agree with them, it the way they go about things. They add almost nothing to the conversation. They only complain. If I'm the only one that feels this way, I'll just go on my merry way. But I can't stand reading these posts anymore.

Highabove
07-29-2012, 06:19 AM

"mike wants wins" and "twinswon1991" are absolutely killing this board with their obnoxious negativity. They poison, every, single, thread. It's not that I don't agree with them, it the way they go about things. They add almost nothing to the conversation. They only complain. If I'm the only one that feels this way, I'll just go on my merry way. But I can't stand reading these posts anymore.

For months this was a civil forum. We did not have members taking personal shots at each other.
If you do not like postings from a particular member, don't read them!!
There is a wide range of views here from Kool aid to over the top.
That's the way it is.

raindog
07-29-2012, 06:26 AM
For months this was a civil forum. You did not have members taking personal shots at each other.
If you do not like postings from a particular member, don't read them!!
There is a wide range of views here from Kool aid to over the top.
That's the way it is.

Like I said, I was probably being hypocritical, and will stop now. But, to me, those are the guys that killed the civility around here.

I'm done now! Promise.

mike wants wins
07-29-2012, 06:39 AM
raindog, it is not my intent to kill every thread. On most of the prospect threads, I'm quite positive, even admitting that Hicks is getting me excited again. But I can see that my posts this last week have been pretty harsh on the major league team. I didn't see this before posting on the Sox trade, but I can tone it down for a bit. No problem.

I do find it odd that people come to a Twins' discussion site, and complain that people offer opinions in general (note, this is not aimed at you, I thought your post about me was pretty civil, given your message).

Tell you what, I'll go the next three weeks w/o posting a negative thought (which may lead to less posting about the ML team, but oh well).

I do find it odd that anyone would say that I don't use facts, or back up my statements. I try very hard to do that, and not just say stuff....

snepp
07-29-2012, 10:47 AM

There's an ignore feature if you can't stomach it.

Personally I've typically found mike wants wins to possess quality insight, here and in various fangraphs articles, despite the negativity (and this team has certainly earned every bit of negativity that comes its way).

70charger
07-30-2012, 01:22 AM

You're not the only one who feel this way.

However, what I've found is that we can make lemonade from these lemons. Whatever they say, you know right off the bat that there's a reasonable case to be made for the opposite.

tobynotjason
07-30-2012, 01:57 AM
Best decision I ever made: deciding to commit to watching/following the Pirates as much as I did the Twins in 2008 when the Neal Huntington regime was settling in. It's just SO damn nice cheering for an organization with a front office that realizes it's the 21st century and rarely does anything to incense anyone who's realized similar things.

Hopefully the Pohlads decide to cash out on the gift given to them by the people of Minnesota and an owner with a clue comes in and cleans house in the F.O. and field staff.

Not. Holding. My. Breath.

gunnarthor
07-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Best decision I ever made: deciding to commit to watching/following the Pirates as much as I did the Twins in 2008 when the Neal Huntington regime was settling in. It's just SO damn nice cheering for an organization with a front office that realizes it's the 21st century and rarely does anything to incense anyone who's realized similar things.

Interesting comparison, I think they are pretty similar type GMs, actually. IIRC, Huntington was mocked for a lot of his trades. He traded off Bay, Wilson, Snell, Nady etc and got a few complementary pieces back. Tony Sanchez and Mark Appeal fiascos. Twins outbid them on Sano. He hired an old school type manager.

Pirate drafts have been interesting. On one hand, guys like Alvarez, Cole and Taillon were no-brainer picks but also made expensive gambles on guys like Allie and Bell. And his 08 draft hasn't really worked out yet - his first three picks are 25 now and yet to break out (Alvarez is having a nice season, I suppose, but a .297 OBP is scary), his 4th pick is back in the minors, I believe. Obviously no one from the 09-12 drafts have made it yet.

Clearly, he's done some good things - but I wonder how you'd feel if Ryan punted the #4 pick for financial reasons or lost the #8 pick in a draft. If he had lost Sano to some other team, despite Sano wanting to come here. If his prize prospects were underwhelming at the ML level and not debuting before 25. I suspect your views would be much different based on you interpret the GMs rather than on what moves the GM actually made.

mike wants wins
07-30-2012, 09:03 AM
I am happy to have discussions based on facts, anytime you want to have them.

CDog
07-30-2012, 02:46 PM

This obviously is off topic from the original topic of the thread, although that topic seems to have dried up. And you or anyone else could probably care less what I think on the topic. But hey, welcome to the internet!! Haha.

The point you bring up is a bit close to my nerve center, which is why I figured I would respond. I think there are two different types you've lumped into one group. But there is a HUGE difference between the two types, and they don't deserve to be put together.

In one group are those that look at and occasionally (or often) present facts to others, and based on those facts come to a conclusion that is often (or even nearly always) fairly negative or pessimistic. While I may often (or nearly always) disagree with the conclusion, it is theirs to make. I think anyone (including he) would agree that 'mike wants wins' falls into a pessimisitc group, but it seems from his reply and others in this thread that he is basing that pessimism in fact. (I should mention I'm going on what was said in this thread. I would have to look back to find out if that's true.)

On the other hand, there are people who are more what, I think, you are describing and lamenting. Those that not only have nothing but complaints, but that either provide no justification or, even worse, "back up" their rants with exaggerations, fabrications, misinterpretations, and flat out lies. These are the people that I would say are closer to "killing this board." Let us not confuse and mix up the pessimist with the troll. It's not fair to either of them.

I will also add that I think the overwhelming presence of reasonable pessimists and optimists both are more than a match for those in the second group and the death of the board is not likely to be achieved because of their nonsense.

mike wants wins
07-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Good post by cdog, I certainly hope I am in the first group, when I am pessimistic, which is probably about 70% of my posts here lately....which is too high a percent for even my comfort.

James
07-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Good post by cdog, I certainly hope I am in the first group, when I am pessimistic, which is probably about 70% of my posts here lately....which is too high a percent for even my comfort.
Mike, you can be pessimistic, but I don't blame you for it. I don't always agree with your opinions, but I usually think they're well thought out. So, no complaint there from me.

Cdog had it right though, there is a second category of posters on this site that are here solely to complain without using any facts to back themselves up. To those people, it is best just to ignore them and move on.

As for the original topic, I think TR has had a rough go of it this year. I think he has done some good things, but he's made some mistakes (Marquis). I personally am not ready to call the Liriano trade a complete bust yet... yet. I'm not even ready to call the Delmon Young trade a bust yet (I think Oliveros might have some value sooner rather than later). I will, of course, be willing to eat my words at any time when it becomes completely apparent that I am wrong.

mike wants wins
07-30-2012, 04:09 PM
I stand by what I have said since they brought him back, he should get at least 1 mote offseason to male them better and younger before reaching some conclusion in the job he is doing.

James
07-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I stand by what I have said since they brought him back, he should get at least 1 mote offseason to male them better and younger before reaching some conclusion in the job he is doing.
That is where we are in complete agreement. Except I am unclear as how TR will mote an offseason to male the team...

I'm sorry, those were just interesting typos. I'm not trying to be a dick.

mike wants wins
07-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Dangit....gotta pay attention to autofill on the phone before hitting post.....at least we got some humor in this thread...

J-Dog Dungan
07-30-2012, 04:40 PM
The real problem with the past offseason was that our offense/defense was what Ryan decided to target, and he did a kick-a$$ job of that, signing Carroll (defense), Doumit (versatility/offense), Willingham (oh my gawd offense) for relative bargains. Of course, all of us that were hoping 2011 was just an aberration have had a sore wake-up call this year, even with the relatively high number of bright spots that have developed over the year. The thing is, it is hard to both "rebuild" (not that the Twins like to use that word) and compete in the same year, but the deals that Ryan made in the offseason were supposed to be a balance of the two. Now that we have a fairly reliable offense who is clearly capable of wiping the floor of "competitive" teams like Cleveland is supposed to be, Ryan can focus more on signing/trading for major league pitching/high level minor league prospects that we so desperately need. I would say give him AT LEAST one more year before throwing Ryan under the bus, because Smith didn't leave us with a great farm system to have hope in.

mike wants wins
07-30-2012, 04:46 PM
The part of the farm system Smith is accountable for is the strongest part of the system....

CDog
07-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Good post by mike. Especially the early-going. HA!

CDog
07-30-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm not even ready to call the Delmon Young trade a bust yet ...

I'm actually willing to already call it a success!