PDA

View Full Version : Swarzak to DL, Perdomo up, Pavano to 60 day

snepp
07-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Swarzak lands on DL; Perdomo promoted from Rochester; Pavano to 60-day DL (http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/163925696.html)

The Twins are placing reliever Anthony Swarzak on the 15-day disabled list with a mild rotator cuff strain, and promoting righthander Luis Perdomo from Class AAA Rochester to take his 25-man roster spot.

Perdomo had to be added to the 40-man roster, so to make room, the Twins moved Carl Pavano to the 60-day DL.

Perdomo, 28, was 2-1 with a 0.92 ERA and seven saves in 11 appearances for Rochester, with 18 strikeouts and two walks in 19 2/3 innings.

Pavano, who is out with weakness in his right rotator cuff, is headed to Fort Myers, Fla., for the next phase of his rehab.

Seth Stohs
07-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Perdomo has been terrific for the Red Wings (And New Britain before that). had big league time with the Padres in 2009 and 2010 (Rule 5 pick). Will be good to see him get a chance. The Twins did a nice job in minor league free agency this past offseason. Perdomo becomes the fifth player signed to play for the Twins.

Nick Nelson
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I hadn't heard much about Perdomo, but he's been awesome this year and has a pretty decent minor-league track record. I'll be interested to check him out.

The Twins did a nice job in minor league free agency this past offseason. Perdomo becomes the fifth player signed to play for the Twins.
Not exactly a good sign, but Ryan deserves a ton of credit for his approach. There's no downside to grabbing a bunch of intriguing minor-league free agents, especially when your upper levels are barren.

drjim
07-26-2012, 05:23 PM
I like to think I follow the Twins and the minor leagues pretty closely and my first reaction to Perdomo was who? That can't be good.

At this point shouldn't they call up a Oliveros or Waldrop and see what they have.

jorgenswest
07-26-2012, 05:33 PM
I recall thinking... "How are they going to use all of the minor league free agent pitchers they brought to spring training?"

They seem to have found major league work for almost all of them not named Thompson.

snepp
07-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Perdomo is 28 and has been pitching really well, now's as good a time as any to see if he has anything to offer going forward.

What they need to do is send Jeff Gray packing and give his innings to someone (anyone) with a potential future here.

Seth Stohs
07-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Not exactly a good sign, but Ryan deserves a ton of credit for his approach. There's no downside to grabbing a bunch of intriguing minor-league free agents, especially when your upper levels are barren.

I posted that on Twitter... It says a lot about your scouts to find a few guys that can help... but normally if a team has 1-2 minor league free agents that contribute at the big league level, that's a lot... having five means your team is pretty bad.

But the strategy in the 6 yr minor league signings did appear to be to pick up some live arms who have had some big league time, but for whatever reason, it didn't click... maybe one thing can happen and one or two of them be good.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Some details about Perdomo...

Was optioned in 2010, so he has two remaining.

If he spends the rest of the season in the big leagues, he'll make (71/183rds) of the vets minimum, which is roughly $186,200.

This puts the approximate team payroll at $99,647,000.

John Bonnes
07-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Perdomo's problem has usually been control, but he's been MUCH better his year - 18BB in 51 IP and just TWO in 18 IP in AAA. I can be optimistic about this.

spideyo
07-26-2012, 06:53 PM
With Pavano on the 60 day, when is he eligible to come off?

USAFChief
07-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Anyone want to revisit their support for tossing $16.5m Pavano's way a couple winters ago?

ashburyjohn
07-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Pavano, who is out with weakness in his right rotator cuff, is headed to Fort Myers, Fla., for the next phase of his rehab.

Did they check his left one too? The weakness might be bilateral.

TheLeviathan
07-26-2012, 08:43 PM
What they need to do is send Jeff Gray packing and give his innings to someone (anyone) with a potential future here.

This. Call up Oliveros and cut this guy.

drjim
07-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Anyone want to revisit their support for tossing $16.5m Pavano's way a couple winters ago?

I thought it was the right move at the time. Obviously didn't expect an epic collapse by the entire team to follow.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-26-2012, 10:30 PM

Did they check his left one too? The weakness might be bilateral.

Hey-yo!

With Pavano on the 60 day, when is he eligible to come off?

He last pitched June 1... so somewhere around the 1st of August.

greengoblinrulz
07-26-2012, 11:00 PM
anyone hear the corresponding move for ROC?

striker_86
07-26-2012, 11:08 PM
This guy looked good in Rochester, lets hope he does well with the big club.