PDA

View Full Version : When will the Mariners entertain offers for King Felix?

mk
07-26-2012, 04:36 PM
MLB.com headline reads: "More Mariners' veterans may be on trade block." I haven't heard Hernandez mentioned in rumors but he plays for a last-place team and has a huge contract signed through 2014. Will the Mariner youth movement be ready before Felix and his huge contract are gone?

If the Mariners don't improve significantly, he almost certainly will be in a lot of rumors next year. Is it possible some team that needs pitching (like the Twins) could put a package together?

Riverbrian
07-26-2012, 04:42 PM
MLT.com headline reads: "More Mariners' veterans may be on trade block." I haven't heard Hernandez mentioned in rumors but he plays for a last-place team and has a huge contract signed through 2014. Will the Mariner youth movement be ready before Felix and his huge contract are gone?

If the Mariners don't improve significantly, he almost certainly will be in a lot of rumors next year. Is it possible some team that needs pitching (like the Twins) could put a package together?

I'd be surprised if they did. It would take a special kind of bad GM to do it. I think the Mariners are set up real well for the future... The Mariners are real close in my opinion to being a contender. You take King Felix and the three pitching prospects in the minors and that rotation could be scary in the near future.

Now it's just a matter of building an offense to try and time with the arrival of the arms. I think that's why they traded for Montero. A Young upside bat that will be coming into his own when the pitching arrives.

I think the Mariners will be a force in a couple of years and King Felix has to be part of that plan. If I was the Mariner GM... That pitching will stay in my pocket.

Oxtung
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM

I don't know how close the Mariners are to shipping Felix but even if they are at that point the Twins shouldn't be anywhere near the conversation. His huge salary would eat up all of the money they need to fix this rotation. Then it would eat up all the money to sign FA's in 2014 as well. Then he would be gone and the Twins would have no King Felix and no Tier 2 pitching talent. On top of that Twins would have to give up some of their top prospects to get him. So in short. No. The Twins shouldn't be anywhere near the Tier 1 pitchers because they just cost too much at this point.

70charger
07-26-2012, 10:59 PM
I don't know how close the Mariners are to shipping Felix but even if they are at that point the Twins shouldn't be anywhere near the conversation. His huge salary would eat up all of the money they need to fix this rotation. Then it would eat up all the money to sign FA's in 2014 as well. Then he would be gone and the Twins would have no King Felix and no Tier 2 pitching talent. On top of that Twins would have to give up some of their top prospects to get him. So in short. No. The Twins shouldn't be anywhere near the Tier 1 pitchers because they just cost too much at this point.

This makes sense. The Twins don't need Felix now, they need him in 2014. Hey, maybe the Twins will be buyers in a couple years, and they'll be in a position to take him on as a trade-deadline rental? A guy can dream.

mk
07-27-2012, 08:44 AM
I agree, Felix would not do anything to help the Twins in 2012. But if the Twins aren't looking to 2014, why hang on to Willingham? Obviously there's more risk putting all your eaggs in one basket, but if you want to discuss $$$, which is better, Hernandez at $18.5M or 3 pitchers averaging $6M per year (use Pavano, Marquis, Blackburn at $16.25M as an example)? It seems the Twins already pay relatively the same amount per win. OK, so wins is a flawed stat. Set aside any sort of performance upgrade. How about paying $2.25M more for just 23 fewer innings?

I'd take quality over quantity.

Of course this is a moot point because I'd suspect IF the Mariners would even consider a Hernandez deal they would want top prospects in the high minors to line up with their own youth movement arriving 2014-2015, something the Twins don't possess.

DPJ
07-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Getting Felix is a move a team makes that puts them over the top, the Twins are very very very far from being anywhere near that point.

mk
07-27-2012, 09:55 AM
I hope I'm just a year or 2 early with this daydream and the Twins could be in the right situation to build for 2014, with whoever the impact pitcher could be. I guess I'm just wishing the Twins would pursue quality with the $20.5M coming off their books after 2012 (Pavano, Baker, Liriano) and another $20.5 coming off after 2013 (Morneau & Blackburn) instead of picking up leftovers for $10M. In my mind 20 wins from 1 guy making $20M is better than 24 wins from 2 guys each making $10M.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Trading for Felix would make zero sense for this franchise. We have finally built up a decent farm system again, there is zero reason to tear that down for a guy who would leave us in 2 years or become insanely expensive.