PDA

View Full Version : Is Arcia the best prospect in the system?

Brock Beauchamp
07-26-2012, 11:05 AM
As some BYTOers know, I've been really high on Arcia for a long time now. He's just a few months into his 21st birthday and is mashing at New Britain. He's posting a .943 OPS overall with a 1.078 OPS in July. In his last ten games, he's OPSing at a whopping 1.138. He only has a couple of months at AA and has certainly hit the ground running.

Is it time to start putting this kid on the same level as Sano? Oswaldo just keeps getting better and better. I've long thought that he was the second best prospect behind Sano but now I'm starting to think he may be on the same level due to his young-ish age for AA and his continued progression through the system.

Twins Fan From Afar
07-26-2012, 11:11 AM
I think the answer is yes. Even if Arcia regresses a little in August, it still will have been a fantastic season for him.
When I do my top 10 prospect rankings over the winter, it's going to be a tough decision choosing between Arcia and Sano.

Mayhem25
07-26-2012, 11:13 AM
I agree that he should at least be considered equal to Sano if not a spot ahead. It looks as though Arcia has adjusted well at each level while Sano has shown his power tool, but he still need's plenty of work refining his approach or contact skills, whichever is causing all the K's!

Nick Nelson
07-26-2012, 11:15 AM
I was thinking about him yesterday. Arcia's pretty exciting – kid can straight mash. Reminds me of Jason Kubel as a prospect. I'd still rank him behind Sano and maybe Rosario, but he's on the rise.

Brock Beauchamp
07-26-2012, 11:15 AM
I agree that he should at least be considered equal to Sano if not a spot ahead. It looks as though Arcia has adjusted well at each level while Sano has shown his power tool, but he still need's plenty of work refining his approach or contact skills, whichever is causing all the K's!

To be fair to Miguel, he's two years younger than Arcia and only one level behind him in the system.

And until recently, Arcia was a K monster himself. A good sign is that he's struck out 20 times in 80 ABs in July and only 5 times in the past ten games. Hopefully the trend continues to move downward as he continues to adjust to the new level.

Brock Beauchamp
07-26-2012, 11:17 AM
I was thinking about him yesterday. Arcia's pretty exciting kid can straight mash. Reminds me of Jason Kubel as a prospect. I'd still rank him behind Sano and maybe Rosario, but he's on the rise.

I also think of Jason Kubel (pre-knee injury) when thinking of Arcia, though it seems that Oswaldo is better defensively... After all, he stuck at CF for quite awhile until he was promoted to the same level as Benson and Hicks.

Twins Fan From Afar
07-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Interesting on the Kubel comparisons -- when I watched the video of Arcia's walk-off home run last week, the swing actually reminded me a little of Kubel's.

mike wants wins
07-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Tough call, I'd say that Arcia is closer to Sano than many of us thought he'd be. Success at a higher level (and it is really 2 levels, not 1), is a big deal to me. That said, Hicks may be back to number 1 by the end of the year. Between Hicks and Arcia (and hopefully Benson), that's why I'm more than willing to trade Span and Willingham right now (because I don't really care about this year anymore).

Brock Beauchamp
07-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Success at a higher level (and it is really 2 levels, not 1), is a big deal to me.

Derp derp, you're right. Two levels. Apparently I forgot about this little place called "Ft Myers".

gunnarthor
07-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Arcia will probably sneak into some 'professional' prospect lists in the 50-80 range but that'll still leave him behind Sano, Buxton and probably Rosario. Hicks could jump him as well. But he's an intriguing prospect.

Brock Beauchamp
07-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Arcia will probably sneak into some 'professional' prospect lists in the 50-80 range but that'll still leave him behind Sano, Buxton and probably Rosario. Hicks could jump him as well. But he's an intriguing prospect.

It's going to be damned hard to ignore a 21yo that puts up a 1.000 OPS in AA. In my opinion, that should weigh a lot more than "toolsy with potential".

Then again, like Mike, I've always put an emphasis on upper level performance over tools.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
With Hick's recent resurgence I am inclined to put him above Arcia at this point as well. Arcia has to mash in order to be an effective player while Hicks already will be an asset with his fielding, pitch selection and legs alone.

With that said its a good argument to have since both players look like they could be all-star caliber type players in the big leagues.

IdahoPilgrim
07-26-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't know if I'd put him ahead of Sano or Buxton, but certainly he is the closest to being MLB-ready of any of our top prospects.

righty8383
07-26-2012, 11:42 AM
If we're talking about ceiling alone I guess he would still be behing Sano, Buxton, Hicks and Rosario. But then you factor in his floor, his expected call up time and likelyhood of reaching his potential, I have to put Arcia at the top of the prospects list right now.

DPJ
07-26-2012, 12:03 PM
I'd take Hicks up the middle skills over Arica.

But love what's he's been doing.

Badsmerf
07-26-2012, 12:40 PM
With Hick's recent resurgence I am inclined to put him above Arcia at this point as well. Arcia has to mash in order to be an effective player while Hicks already will be an asset with his fielding, pitch selection and legs alone.

With that said its a good argument to have since both players look like they could be all-star caliber type players in the big leagues.

Who is more likely to be an All-Star? At this point it is Arcia and its not even close. Only way Hicks can pass Arcia is by doing what Arica has done the whole season and Arcia falling off. Don't get me wrong though, Hicks has played very well and the top 5 prospects in the Twins system now look like they will be impact players.

I don't see what is so close about this. Not many players destroy AA like Arcia has done. Sano has shown one dimension so far, and its power. Sano's power potential might be better than Arcia's, but also has a much higher chance of failing. I'll put more weight on performances at higher levels than ceilings every day. If Sano only had one problem there would be a better argument, but he's a question mark in the field and his contact rate is questionable. Sure he can improve, but hard to put him over player that is 21 and OPSing 930 in AA, and over 1000 in the last month.

Oxtung
07-26-2012, 12:45 PM
I like the numbers Arcia is putting up but there is cause to think he'll come back to earth at some point. He fluctuates between a 20%-25% K rate so his BABIP is driving his batting average. His BABIP has been off the charts at times. At 3 of his stops it has been >.390. That isn't sustainable. However his SLG is certainly intriguing. I guess as far as prospects go I like him but he sure isn't ready for the big show yet.

anthonyq77
07-26-2012, 12:49 PM
The Twins outfield prospects seem to be doing very well this year (other than Benson). Arcia made the jump to AA seemlessly, Hicks is finally putting it all together, Revere has graduated from prospect to solid MLB'er heck even Kepler down in E-town is progressing nicely. are there any other orgs. that have as good a group of OF talent?

DPJ
07-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Who is more likely to be an All-Star? At this point it is Arcia and its not even close. Only way Hicks can pass Arcia is by doing what Arica has done the whole season and Arcia falling off. Don't get me wrong though, Hicks has played very well and the top 5 prospects in the Twins system now look like they will be impact players.

What the hell does being an All-Star have to do with anything?

I don't think it's crazy at all to think that Hicks conbination of hitting, defense, arm & speed could far be more valuable then Arcia's bat and modest defense.

Badsmerf
07-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Who says his defense is modest? I think I've seen its pretty good.

twinscowboysbulls
07-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Would this be fair?
1. Sano
2. Buxton
3. Arcia
4. Hicks
5. Gibson

rickyhawaii
07-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Wish he could draw more walks but i think he's upped his walk rate this season? He seems too make enough contact though since his average has always been good. he also has a good arm in the outfield? His swing reminds me of Kubel. I still think Hicks, Buxton and Kepler would be ahead of him because of defense. Also Arcia struggles hitting lefties

Winston Smith
07-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Seems like Hicks has not lived up to the hype but if you look at his stats next to Torii age for age to where Hicks is now he has been better at every level. If he turns out as good as Torii I'd be real happy. Trade Rumor says the O's are looking at Frankie. Not sure what they have to offer back, maybe crab cakes?

DPJ
07-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Who says his defense is modest? I think I've seen its pretty good.

I wouldn't put him in the Delmon/Willingham class, but I wouldn't put him in the JD Drew class either.

From everything I've read he's a modest defender. Won't kill ya but also don't shock the world.

twinscowboysbulls
07-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't put him in the Delmon/Willingham class, but I wouldn't put him in the JD Drew class either.

From everything I've read he's a modest defender. Won't kill ya but also don't shock the world.

As long as he isn't Delmon/Kubel/Cuddyer/Willingham I'd say he isn't too bad defensively. I would expect average to slightly above average defense from Arcia.

DPJ
07-26-2012, 01:28 PM
As long as he isn't Delmon/Kubel/Cuddyer/Willingham I'd say he isn't too bad defensively. I would expect average to slightly above average defense from Arcia.

I used modest cause it's a nice in between, not good not bad...just modest defense (which I would be more then happy with)

In the end I'd take Hicks tool and abilities to effect a game while also playing an up the middle position over Arcia. Doesn't mean I don't like Arcia, it's just my personal thing.

greengoblinrulz
07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Paul Molitor was on radio today talkin minor leagues. Says Arcia still has major holes in his swing on breakin pitches & is over a yr away from bein ready. Surprised by this but still will be stunned if hes not a Sept callup.
Says Hicks is much closer to bein MLB ready which surprises me as Molly is known to be reluctant to praise younger players....reason he no longer coaches fulltime.
BJ Hermsen is toppin out @ 86mph but gets guys out.

DPJ
07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
BJ Hermsen is toppin out @ 86mph but gets guys out.

His Blackburn-esqe K-rate and lack of groundball has no chance to succeed in the majors.

Jesus what happened to this kid.

mike wants wins
07-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Hermsen is a great trade candidate, if you can find a team that believes in success w/o good/great stuff.....

DPJ
07-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Hermsen is a great trade candidate, if you can find a team that believes in success w/o good/great stuff.....

Like the Minnesota Twins?

Hell the Twins office probably love his lack of stuff but strike throwing ability.

Seth Stohs
07-26-2012, 02:02 PM
So, Hermsen added a mph or two since last year... hopefully that keeps moving up and he can get to 89!

Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton, Eddie Rosario, Aaron Hicks, Oswaldo Arcia... Arcia has been remarkable and I may not be able to move him up beyond #5. Wow! That said, a case could be made for all five of them in any of those spots. The question marks surrounding Sano are the same question marks surrounding Arcia, breaking balls, defense, strikeouts, etc.

Celebrity Weddings!
07-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Paul Molitor was on radio today talkin minor leagues. Says Arcia still has major holes in his swing on breakin pitches & is over a yr away from bein ready.

Isn't AA where pitchers are supposed to start finding and exploiting those holes? Lefties don't have much difficulty with him, but I think Molitor's knock is a rather delightful bit of hype for whatever Arcia looks like when he's "ready".

mike wants wins
07-26-2012, 02:55 PM
I really do love Seth's optimism. I don't always share it, but I really do appreciate it. one of the reasons I kept going to his site....

Riverbrian
07-26-2012, 04:22 PM
I really do love Seth's optimism. I don't always share it, but I really do appreciate it. one of the reasons I kept going to his site....

He's steady and he's great balance for this website.

drjim
07-26-2012, 05:47 PM
He could be the best prospect, but I still have him at #5.

Sano has the best power in the minors
Buxton is a tool shed with huge upside
Hicks will be an elite defensive CF in range and arm, draws walks, speed
Rosario seems like he can stay at 2B, great hitter and will get some bags as well

I'll take these four over a solid defensive corner OF with questions on if he can hit lefties. That said, a 21 year old lighting up AA is damn good.

drjim
07-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Would this be fair?
1. Sano
2. Buxton
3. Arcia
4. Hicks
5. Gibson

It's fair, but I would definitely have Rosario over Gibson.

J-Dog Dungan
07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
It's fair, but I would definitely have Rosario over Gibson.

Especially since we have seen very little of Gibson since his return to pitching.

SydneyTwinsFan
07-26-2012, 07:03 PM
I'd be more inclined towards

1. Sano
2. Arcia
3. Buxton
4. Hicks
5. Rosario

Vervehound
07-26-2012, 07:48 PM
I'd be more inclined towards

1. Sano
2. Arcia
3. Buxton
4. Hicks
5. Rosario

you've got the right guys in your top five, but arcia is going to be the third ranked prospect in this system because he doesn't have any 80 tools like sano or buxton.

i was one of two byto'ers to rank arcia our second best prospect coming into the season and i think that's been vindicated. as for a comp, he's got lefty magglio ordonez upside. bobby abreu has been mentioned before when it comes to him, but that's more in relation to his load/swing.

btw, what do you know about our two new aussie arms: sam gibbons and louis thorpe? both look like nice prospects. one day, i'm hopeful we'll have an all aussie rotation at target field....

Vervehound
07-26-2012, 07:53 PM
btw, the real question is this: who's the number six prospect in the system? the top five are pretty easy to figure out, and then comes the void. i'd say no to either benson or gibson and look to either kepler or berrios right now. harrison would also be in play.

SydneyTwinsFan
07-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Both Thorpe and Gibbons are from Melbourne, so I haven't seen either play. Thorpe though is regarded as one of the best prospects in Australia. He's only 16, a lefty with a fastball that's topped out at around 90-91 mph. He's not a big guy, so not sure how much upside there is in his velocity. Rumour here is he signed for a pretty decent bonus ($500k?) but not sure how accurate that is.
Good to see the Aussie invasion gathering speed though!

diehardtwinsfan
07-26-2012, 08:13 PM
i was one of two byto'ers to rank arcia our second best prospect coming into the season and i think that's been vindicated. as for a comp, he's got lefty magglio ordonez upside. bobby abreu has been mentioned before when it comes to him, but that's more in relation to his load/swing.

I think it was me, you, and pig... maybe one or two others. I can kind of get swapping Arcia/Rosario (at least last year), but at one point, results really need to start weighing in on things. I get that with his Ks he needs to work on pitch recognition and contact, but this kid looks like a cleanup hitter who can also play above average defense in the corners. I have to weigh that higher than Buxton, no matter what his "tool" ceiling may be, because he's so far down and hasn't produced. Sano has certainly shown the power piece, but is still a work in progress, and I'd add that Arcia did much better in his first go around at Beloit too... You have to think that Arcia is an A- prospect at this point, and quite possibly a borderline A guy. Given his age, no way I can give Buxton anything higher than a B+.

Vervehound
07-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Both Thorpe and Gibbons are from Melbourne, so I haven't seen either play. Thorpe though is regarded as one of the best prospects in Australia. He's only 16, a lefty with a fastball that's topped out at around 90-91 mph. He's not a big guy, so not sure how much upside there is in his velocity. Rumour here is he signed for a pretty decent bonus ($500k?) but not sure how accurate that is.
Good to see the Aussie invasion gathering speed though!

gibbons has a monster frame so he's pretty projectable. thorpe did sign for 500k - second highest int'l bonus the twins doled out this year. i think much of our future on the mound is sitting in the gcl this year - there are a lot of arms with lift to them down there and next year's team should include thorpe, gonzalez and silva at a minimum - not a bad start.

Vervehound
07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
I think it was me, you, and pig... maybe one or two others. I can kind of get swapping Arcia/Rosario (at least last year), but at one point, results really need to start weighing in on things. I get that with his Ks he needs to work on pitch recognition and contact, but this kid looks like a cleanup hitter who can also play above average defense in the corners. I have to weigh that higher than Buxton, no matter what his "tool" ceiling may be, because he's so far down and hasn't produced. Sano has certainly shown the power piece, but is still a work in progress, and I'd add that Arcia did much better in his first go around at Beloit too... You have to think that Arcia is an A- prospect at this point, and quite possibly a borderline A guy. Given his age, no way I can give Buxton anything higher than a B+.

yes - i remember you siding with arcia. you can make the argument for arcia, but collective prospect wisdom will have him easily behind sano and buxton. re: sano - it's not just the power - look at the number of walks so far this year. that's a huge development in his favour. anyway, i'm thinking both arcia and rosario will show up half way into the top 50-100 prospects this year and hicks has a shot to sneak in as well if he can keep it together.

diehardtwinsfan
07-26-2012, 08:48 PM
the walks are huge... so much so that his OBP is nearly identical to his Elizabethon OBP despite the 50 point drop in BA... I'm hoping that's cause he's letting a few too many strikes go by... that, I think, is easier to fix than failing away at them.

Collective prospect wisdom also ignores results. Buxton in my opinion is likely behind Sano, Rosario, Arcia, and Hicks.... Hicks and Buxton are basically clones, though right now, Hicks is getting the results...

kab21
07-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Arcia and Rosario are already showing up near the midpoint of the midseason lists. There might not be much pitching but this is becoming a good system.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
07-26-2012, 10:07 PM
I was actually thinking the same thing on the ride home from work today. Then I came on here and lo and behold! Arcia is such a talented hitter that I have a feeling he will become a star, not just a starter.

drjim
07-26-2012, 10:18 PM
btw, the real question is this: who's the number six prospect in the system? the top five are pretty easy to figure out, and then comes the void. i'd say no to either benson or gibson and look to either kepler or berrios right now. harrison would also be in play.

This is a good question. I would still say too early on Berrios. Maybe Kepler. I'm big into Goodrum right now, but 6 is probably too high. His average is low, but is K/BB ratio is good, he's hitting for some pop and it looks like he might stick at SS.

There are some good second tier hitters as well - Michaels, Herrmann, maybe Santana. Those guys can all be big leaguers of some sort.

gunnarthor
07-26-2012, 10:29 PM

I think it's still Gibson. We have a lot of intriguing young guys but Gibson was a top talent. Injuries are an obvious problem but he seems to be coming back, more or less, on schedule. (I guess technically Liam Hendriks is still a prospect until he gets over the 45 inning thing but he should do that this year but if you want to count him, I guess he'd be #6)

greengoblinrulz
07-26-2012, 10:40 PM
whatever the order, is this the best 5 prospects MN has had in years???
This also includes Joe Benson not having any shot in the top 5, but was recently rated 99th best prospect by MLB entering the yr.
Are we gonna have to deal one/more of these guys for pitching tho??

kab21
07-27-2012, 03:28 AM
gibson is easily my #6 but I never dropped him as much as others. there is a clear top 5, a clear #6 (imo) and then a really strong group after that. Berrios, Kepler, Harrison, Goodrum, boyd, boer and possibly Walker and Jorge (I've always been high on him but he's at the end of the group). The good thing is that the Twins seem to have been hitting on their toolsy upside picks from the last couple of years. We still need more pro ball data from any of these to put them at the top of the group but I like it.

FWIW - guys like Salcedo, Michael, Benson would still be ranked within that group but they fall into a different category.

diehardtwinsfan
07-27-2012, 08:06 AM
I'd tenatively say Benson... This season is more or less lost, but he put up some good results in AA last season. I suspect he's going to Rochester again next year. Gibson isn't that far behind either if he can prove he's back. Does Parmalee still count as a prospect? I'd argue he's looking more and more like a middle of the order bat as well.

mike wants wins
07-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Gibson is #6, he'll be in the majors next year as a 4 or, moving to a 3.5......

As for the strenght of the system, I find the love for Ryan and hate for Smith hilarious, given that the system nearly died the last few years Ryan was the GM, and nearly all the strengh is from the Smith era (Not that the GM makes the picks.....). When Ryan gets all the credit for the team in 2014, will anyone remember that nearly all those guys are in the system from teh Smith era?

Brock Beauchamp
07-27-2012, 09:28 AM
As for the strenght of the system, I find the love for Ryan and hate for Smith hilarious, given that the system nearly died the last few years Ryan was the GM, and nearly all the strengh is from the Smith era (Not that the GM makes the picks.....). When Ryan gets all the credit for the team in 2014, will anyone remember that nearly all those guys are in the system from teh Smith era?

I've said it a bunch of times but I think Smith did a pretty good job with almost everything not directly involving the major league franchise. His drafting and foreign scouting was between good and great depending on year.

On the other hand, his handling of the major league was abominable. Santana for nothing, traded Garza the same year, ping-pong JJ Hardy around for no real reason, Nishioka, Wilson for Capps...

mike wants wins
07-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Agreed, the part that he actually did was awful. Just awful. Those trades were awful. Ryan of course compounded the problem by signing Capps again.....

Boom Boom
07-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Agreed, the part that he actually did was awful. Just awful. Those trades were awful. Ryan of course compounded the problem by signing Capps again.....

Smith has been vindicated a bit for the Bullock-Diamond trade.

But yeah, on the whole it was very very bad.

Thrylos
07-27-2012, 09:45 AM
I've said it a bunch of times but I think Smith did a pretty good job with almost everything not directly involving the major league franchise. His drafting and foreign scouting was between good and great depending on year.

On the other hand, his handling of the major league was abominable. Santana for nothing, traded Garza the same year, ping-pong JJ Hardy around for no real reason, Nishioka, Wilson for Capps...

The "Santana for nothing" trade was going to happen no matter who was the GM. I would not doubt that the interim "retired" because of the potential fall out of this trade and on the Hunter letting go. I blame Gardenhire for burning the bridges with Garza as much as Smith for trading him. But still he got more for him (including a guy who carried his team practically singlehandedly to the 2010 postseason) than the interim got for another of Gardy's boys, Kyle Lohse. Nishioka and Wilson for Capps were bad. And I would suspect that if Gardy did not fall in love with Drewy, and insisted in having Wilson with the big team, he might still be with the Twins.

On the other hand, the deadline trades he made rebuilding the pen in 2009 is another reason the Twins won the division. And one of those arms came because of one of the nobodies he received for Santana. No pen arms in 2009 no division win; and not Delmon in 2010 no division win. So he needs some credit. Ryan made some idiotic moves (heck, I'd rather gamble on Nishioka than Ponson, Batista, Boone and the other washouts, including Marquis, that Ryan have paraded throughout the years) Gotta be fair.

Brock Beauchamp
07-27-2012, 09:51 AM
The "Santana for nothing" trade was going to happen no matter who was the GM. I would not doubt that the interim "retired" because of the potential fall out of this trade and on the Hunter letting go. I blame Gardenhire for burning the bridges with Garza as much as Smith for trading him. But still he got more for him (including a guy who carried his team practically singlehandedly to the 2010 postseason) than the interim got for another of Gardy's boys, Kyle Lohse. Nishioka and Wilson for Capps were bad. And I would suspect that if Gardy did not fall in love with Drewy, and insisted in having Wilson with the big team, he might still be with the Twins.

On the other hand, the deadline trades he made rebuilding the pen in 2009 is another reason the Twins won the division. And one of those arms came because of one of the nobodies he received for Santana. No pen arms in 2009 no division win; and not Delmon in 2010 no division win. So he needs some credit. Ryan made some idiotic moves (heck, I'd rather gamble on Nishioka than Ponson, Batista, Boone and the other washouts, including Marquis, that Ryan have paraded throughout the years) Gotta be fair.

Smith had $30-40m more per year to play with than JR ever did. Ryan had a marginal budget last offseason and did a pretty good job (in the case of Willingham and Doumit, a great job) of spending that money outside of Marquis.

It's not fair to compare Ryan's 2002-2007 FA pickups to Smith's 2010 and later pickups. Smith had the money to buy players that didn't suck.

With that said, Smith did a great job before the 2010 offseason. Other than that, I dislike almost everything he did.

TRex
07-27-2012, 09:54 AM
It's a little off topic (ok, a lot), but I think everyone forgets that at the time Santana was traded he had a full no-trade clause and was really a sign-and-trade ala the NBA. So what the Mets (or whomever) really got was the 'right' to give a small(ish) left-handed pitcher with a precipitously declining K-rate one of the largest and longest contracts in history for a pitcher. I think this is what really controlled what teams were willing to offer for Santana, especially the Yankees who seemed fixated on CC even a year before he became a free agent.

Now, I think it is much harder to defend against the argument that they could have held on to him and gotten the prospects when he signed elsewhere as a FA. I personally believe that it would have been a cancerous situation that I wouldn't want on my team, but that is hardly quantifiable!

mike wants wins
07-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Agreed, the Santana situation was almost unwillable....that said, they should have done better. Also agreed, Ryan quit rather than handle the situation that he created. I got no problem with that, if you are burned out you are burned out. But let's not pretend Ryan didn't create the situation by not taking care of it in a more timely manner. Same with Hunter.

Brock Beauchamp
07-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Agreed, the Santana situation was almost unwillable....that said, they should have done better. Also agreed, Ryan quit rather than handle the situation that he created. I got no problem with that, if you are burned out you are burned out. But let's not pretend Ryan didn't create the situation by not taking care of it in a more timely manner. Same with Hunter.

Ryan definitely deserves some of the blame for the Santana situation... but nobody forced Smith to make that awful trade and nobody forced him to also trade his best young starter in the same offseason.

mike wants wins
07-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Please don't remind me about the Garza deal.....it just reminds me of everything that is wrong with this club.

Brock Beauchamp
07-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Please don't remind me about the Garza deal.....it just reminds me of everything that is wrong with this club.

I remember taking most of that offseason away from baseball (lived in CA at the time). I came back around January and said "Hey, guys. Where's Garza?"

I was floored that the Twins moved their two best pitchers in the same offseason. The rotation went from an organizational strength to "Baker and WTF".

greengoblinrulz
07-27-2012, 11:02 AM
will be interesting to see where Gibson ranks nationally. He was 61st in 2010, 34th in 2011, unranked this yr.....but others havent dropped that far when havin TJ.
OAKs Jarrod Parker was 29th in 09, had TJ in 10 but was ranked 26th & in 11, he was still 33rd despite not pitching at all the year prior. He was 26th entering this yr.
Kyle is 2 yrs older & that counts but they were closely ranked.

CDog
07-27-2012, 11:12 AM
But still he got more for him (including a guy who carried his team practically singlehandedly to the 2010 postseason) ...

That's at least the second time I've seen you make that claim and fairly sure others have as well. It's utter nonsense at best. Mauer was much better than Young on the year AND for the final two months. Cuddyer had a big July that got overshadowed by the enormous ones by Young and Mauer (although he rightfully got it pumped a bit at the same time for filling in at 1B when nobody else was available). Thome was absolutely filthy good with a 4-digit OPS (OBP over .400 and SLG over .600...just wow), and was better the second half than the first. Liriano was one of the better pitchers in baseball that year, and Pavano was very good, too. The bullpen was awesome. Young had a very good year, largely on the basis of one off-the-charts-good month (and was downright awful in August).

mike wants wins
07-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Man, I just read this week's Callis chat on BA....he's not expecting gibson in the rotation until the END of next year.....I hope he's wrong on that.

CDog
07-27-2012, 11:22 AM
It's a little off topic (ok, a lot), but I think everyone forgets that at the time Santana was traded he had a full no-trade clause and was really a sign-and-trade ala the NBA. So what the Mets (or whomever) really got was the 'right' to give a small(ish) left-handed pitcher with a precipitously declining K-rate one of the largest and longest contracts in history for a pitcher. I think this is what really controlled what teams were willing to offer for Santana, especially the Yankees who seemed fixated on CC even a year before he became a free agent.

Now, I think it is much harder to defend against the argument that they could have held on to him and gotten the prospects when he signed elsewhere as a FA. I personally believe that it would have been a cancerous situation that I wouldn't want on my team, but that is hardly quantifiable!

I tend to agree with a lot of that, in principle. The fact that Santana had basically said trade-me-or-else AND that there were only two or three posible destinations likely drastically reduced what they could get for him. My sense at the time was that it was almost a game of reverse chicken where the Mets, Sox, and Yankees would make an offer trying to get one of the others to offer more, but not really mean it with their offer anyway. I doubt anyone here knows what was actually available in that trade. I'd like to think even with what they got that it was better than what they would have been able to draft with the compensation picks if they didn't work anything out. Would it look better if Hardy (via Gomez) had been kept and played out similar to his first Baltimore year? Hmmm.

CDog
07-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Man, I just read this week's Callis chat on BA....he's not expecting gibson in the rotation until the END of next year.....I hope he's wrong on that.

Big time. I've said it before, and I'll repeat it now--how much and when Gibson comes back is a HUGE variable for next year's success (and even beyone that) that is a complete mystery at this point.

jtrinaldi
07-27-2012, 11:34 AM
I think Rosario is the yes in System, Hitting 300 for pretty much all of the year, Home Runs are down but his RBI production is still up. I think ideally he has the potential to be a good hitter right behind the clean up man in the majors, just because he needs other people to get on base in front of him first instead of leading off innings.

diehardtwinsfan
07-27-2012, 12:48 PM

He's being realistic. Gibson was doing fairly well in AAA from a peripherals standpoint, but the ERA left a bit to be desired. He hadn't quite "figured it all out" and then got hurt. You have to figure that he's going to need to build his arm strength back up, figure out those remaining little issues, and get his control back. You cannot reasonably count on him for April of next year. You just cannot.

Brock Beauchamp
07-27-2012, 01:02 PM
He's being realistic. Gibson was doing fairly well in AAA from a peripherals standpoint, but the ERA left a bit to be desired. He hadn't quite "figured it all out" and then got hurt. You have to figure that he's going to need to build his arm strength back up, figure out those remaining little issues, and get his control back. You cannot reasonably count on him for April of next year. You just cannot.

No, definitely not April. I was thinking more June/July myself but there are a lot of variables involved with his recovery.

greengoblinrulz
07-27-2012, 01:22 PM
No, definitely not April. I was thinking more June/July myself but there are a lot of variables involved with his recovery.
what Im thinking for Gibson/expecting also.....couple months in ROC to see how he's doin

Thrylos
07-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Re: Gibson: Remember, per Anthony (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120707&content_id=34642240&notebook_id=34662730&c_id=mlb), the plan is, if all is well, for Gibson to pitch at the AFL this fall. That will tell a lot of things. If he pitches well there, rehabs well in the off-season and is ready and has a good Spring Training, I see no reason why he will not be with the Twins in 2013. There are about 4-5 ifs in this sentence though....

Chance
07-27-2012, 04:25 PM
I would rank the top 5 prospects in this order
1. Arcia
2. Rosario
3. Sano
4. Gibson
5. Buxton

My ranking isn't based on the highest upside or most potential but the most likely to positively effect the major league team based on what they have shown thus far. It is so early on for Buxton and I'm sure by midway through next season he will be number 1 but for now we just haven't seen him yet.

Arcia is major league ready. His bat is there and I don't see how he can't hold done right field or DH. If we trade players like span and morneau, I hope they call him up and let him finish out the year in the majors so he is ready to go by next season

jimbo92107
07-27-2012, 05:41 PM
I'd take Hicks up the middle skills over Arica.

But love what's he's been doing.

I can see a near-future outfield of Arcia LF, Hicks CF, and Benson RF, with Ben Revere in reserve or when you need maximum defensive coverage.

That's a lot of speed, arms and hitting, and because they've all played center, you could shuffle them any way you want for the most effective mix. Runner on 2nd in the ninth inning, you move Hicks to LF for his rocket arm; otherwise, he patrols the big middle.

This could make the Twins worth watching, just for the defense.

Thrylos
07-27-2012, 05:54 PM
I can see a near-future outfield of Arcia LF, Hicks CF, and Benson RF, with Ben Revere in reserve or when you need maximum defensive coverage.

That's a lot of speed, arms and hitting, and because they've all played center, you could shuffle them any way you want for the most effective mix. Runner on 2nd in the ninth inning, you move Hicks to LF for his rocket arm; otherwise, he patrols the big middle.

Lets say that from the 4 players you mentioned, only one has proven to hit MLB pitching. Benson did take some steps back this year. Arcia is more of a RF than a LF too. Not much range. Lots like Kubel (but the 2012 Kubel, if you don't know what I mean, try to see pictures of him this season. Looks like he lost 35 lbs...)

I still think that Revere today is the best of these 4. In a couple years might be different story. But Revere is a major leaguer so you have to put him into the discussion....

YourHouseIsMyHouse
07-27-2012, 06:50 PM

I would also throw Arcia in RF. Benson/Revere in LF and Hicks as the CF. Not bad on power potential either. Arcia definitely has quite a bit. Benson and Hicks would also hit more HRs than Span and Revere.

diehardtwinsfan
07-27-2012, 08:31 PM
yeah, Benson and Hicks are 10-20 HR guys with a bunch of doubles... Both could have a few 20+ HR seasons in their prime. The nice thing is that both are also above average defenders.

Turd Furgeson
07-27-2012, 09:32 PM
The rest of the prospect world hasn't quite caught up, but I think Hicks is probably the best player in our system right now. He has the elite tools to be as good as anyone in the system, with a possible exception of Byron Buxton. Hicks is hitting quite well. Combine that with the other things he does really well and his proximity to the majors and I'd put him #1. Arcia is close though.

diehardtwinsfan
07-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Hicks has teh tools, but he still hasn't put it together. That's my thing. I'll grant you that he plays preimer defense at a key position and should hit well above the average centerfielder as well, but he's just come on strong in AA and he's been very prone to streaks/slumps in his career thus far... A month ago, people would have been writing him off when his batting average was in the .240s. Personally, I want to give him more time before he's crowned number 1. He has Matt Kemp type potential, but not nearly enough to indicate that he's going to come close.

Vervehound
07-28-2012, 09:10 AM
The rest of the prospect world hasn't quite caught up, but I think Hicks is probably the best player in our system right now. He has the elite tools to be as good as anyone in the system, with a possible exception of Byron Buxton. Hicks is hitting quite well. Combine that with the other things he does really well and his proximity to the majors and I'd put him #1. Arcia is close though.

what tools does hicks have besides an 80 arm? his hit tool is a 50 at best and that's being generous with this year in mind. power...50? 55 at best. speed. 60. defense....another 60. that's a good player considering he's a cf'er but arcia's tools are comparable. hit: 65. power: 60. defense: 50. arm: 55. speed: 50. considering our system's challenges in producing middle of the order bats, i'll take arcia's skillset.

Brock Beauchamp
07-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Hicks has teh tools, but he still hasn't put it together. That's my thing. I'll grant you that he plays preimer defense at a key position and should hit well above the average centerfielder as well, but he's just come on strong in AA and he's been very prone to streaks/slumps in his career thus far... A month ago, people would have been writing him off when his batting average was in the .240s. Personally, I want to give him more time before he's crowned number 1. He has Matt Kemp type potential, but not nearly enough to indicate that he's going to come close.

Not to mention that he's a year and a half older than Arcia.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-28-2012, 10:06 AM
what tools does hicks have besides an 80 arm? his hit tool is a 50 at best and that's being generous with this year in mind. power...50? 55 at best. speed. 60. defense....another 60. that's a good player considering he's a cf'er but arcia's tools are comparable. hit: 65. power: 60. defense: 50. arm: 55. speed: 50. considering our system's challenges in producing middle of the order bats, i'll take arcia's skillset.

I think 60 is to low on Hicks for defense and I think 50 is to high for Arcia on Speed.

Jim H
07-28-2012, 10:27 AM
I enjoy these prospect threads, but it always amazes me how certain everyone is about their opinions. Let's face it, at this point Wilison Ramos hasn't proven he is any more than a backup major league catcher. Sure the tools are there to be more, but there is a pretty good chance his career numbers aren't any better than Benji Molina with probably poorer defense. The idea that the Twins traded a future all star for Matt Capps is just an idea. It might happen, it might not.

The same thing is largely true of most of these prospects. I am high on Hendriks, but pretty soon he has to prove he can pitch in the majors. People on these threads still talk about Revere as if he will be a 4th OF. I believe his speed and hitting ability make him a major league regular. Despite their tools, none of the near ready and not so near ready prospects have proved they can hit in the majors. Until they do, Revere is ahead of them.

I am pretty high on the Twins farm system right now. There are a lot of potential sticks in the system and many appear to have a good chance to be elite defenders as well. I like the pitching more than most people seem to as well. If some of the guys like Gibson, Wimmers, Salcedo, Bromberg can get and stay healthy along with some of the upper level relief arms, the Twins will have some potential help within the next 2 years. Some of the lower level guys could move fast, given good health and a little luck. I am just not as sure as some of you seem to be, who is going to be good and who is going to suck.

stringer bell
07-28-2012, 12:49 PM
I really like Hicks' skill set although, as verve noted, he isn't off the charts except for his throwing arm. He is a switch-hitting center fielder who can be an asset in the field, at the plate and on the bases. The Twins have too many one-dimensional players and Hicks could be part of the solution. If Hicks can continue the upswing offensively, he can be somewhere between pretty good and an All-Star. Arcia profiles as a good hitter and suddenly LH power seems to be needed for the team. If he can hit like Kubel and play defense only as well as Cuddy, he can be a good player for the Twins for a long time.

diehardtwinsfan
07-28-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure why it is that everyone now thinks Arcia is going to be a slow footed outfielder. He was used as a centerfielder up until last year, and that move had more to do with him getting promoted to Fort Meyers and having to share an outfield with Hicks. I would think that in a corner position, this should translate to well above average range... No idea on arm strength and instincts....

greengoblinrulz
07-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Arcia is often compared to a pre-knee injury Jason Kubel.
For those that dont remember, pre injury Kubel was considered a well above average OF with a solid arm & some speed (16sb in 04). After surgery, he had no range/speed left. IF that's the case defensively, Id take it. Never heard on any reports that he cant play the field just that with weight gain, he's no longer able to play CF. He is considered to have a strong arm, even after the surgery.
When he gets called up in Sept, we can see for ourselves, I hope.

Riverbrian
07-28-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm jealous right now. What I want to see... Is a Mike Trout type guy come up from the farm. A Trout... A Strasburg... a Harper... A Middlebrooks... a Rizzo. Just one... Sometime soon.

Its hard to wait... Just one. Someone come up and blow the doors off.

diehardtwinsfan
07-28-2012, 07:14 PM
For those that dont remember, pre injury Kubel was considered a well above average OF with a solid arm & some speed (16sb in 04). After surgery, he had no range/speed left. IF that's the case defensively, Id take it. Never heard on any reports that he cant play the field just that with weight gain, he's no longer able to play CF. He is considered to have a strong arm, even after the surgery.

so in other words, keep him out of the AFL

Vervehound
07-29-2012, 04:01 PM
not sure where the kubel comps are coming from but....kubel never had speed and his range in an OF corner was fringey before his knee injury, though his arm always drew compliments. also, he never played cf in the lower minors like arcia did and i think arcia's power will top out at a full grade higher (65 to 55 for kubel). they're both lefties who can hit but arcia profiles better defensively.

Brock Beauchamp
07-29-2012, 04:16 PM
so in other words, keep him out of the AFL

Well played, sir. Well played.

Shane Wahl
07-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Well played, sir. Well played.

Hopefully they use the AFL for other guys to get some more at bats. I don't think Arcia needs that. Angel Morales is a clear case.

Brock Beauchamp
07-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Hopefully they use the AFL for other guys to get some more at bats. I don't think Arcia needs that. Angel Morales is a clear case.

I think you missed the joke. Kubel blew out his knee in the AFL.

Shane Wahl
07-29-2012, 06:23 PM
I think you missed the joke. Kubel blew out his knee in the AFL.

Ah, yes. No AFL for Arcia.

gunnarthor
07-29-2012, 06:31 PM

I think Morales might be a lost cause by this point. I'm sure they'll have him do something in Latin America this off season but he shouldn't be going to the AFL.

diehardtwinsfan
07-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Morales is one of those guys that put up video game stats at Elizabethon but never really did much after that. He's been a lost cause for a while as he's never put up anything close to those numbers since. He has some power there, but never really put things together. I'm not sure I'd send him to the AFL. They can only send so many guys there. Gibson is definitely going, and I could see them sending Hendricks there as well.

drjim
07-29-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm jealous right now. What I want to see... Is a Mike Trout type guy come up from the farm. A Trout... A Strasburg... a Harper... A Middlebrooks... a Rizzo. Just one... Sometime soon.

You did just reference three of the best prospects of the past 20 years. That is a hard act to live up to. We'll see how long Rizzo and Middlebrooks keep it up.

drjim
07-29-2012, 08:39 PM
I enjoy these prospect threads, but it always amazes me how certain everyone is about their opinions. Let's face it, at this point Wilison Ramos hasn't proven he is any more than a backup major league catcher. Sure the tools are there to be more, but there is a pretty good chance his career numbers aren't any better than Benji Molina with probably poorer defense. The idea that the Twins traded a future all star for Matt Capps is just an idea. It might happen, it might not.

The same thing is largely true of most of these prospects. I am high on Hendriks, but pretty soon he has to prove he can pitch in the majors. People on these threads still talk about Revere as if he will be a 4th OF. I believe his speed and hitting ability make him a major league regular. Despite their tools, none of the near ready and not so near ready prospects have proved they can hit in the majors. Until they do, Revere is ahead of them.

I am pretty high on the Twins farm system right now. There are a lot of potential sticks in the system and many appear to have a good chance to be elite defenders as well. I like the pitching more than most people seem to as well. If some of the guys like Gibson, Wimmers, Salcedo, Bromberg can get and stay healthy along with some of the upper level relief arms, the Twins will have some potential help within the next 2 years. Some of the lower level guys could move fast, given good health and a little luck. I am just not as sure as some of you seem to be, who is going to be good and who is going to suck.

Good post. In general I think there is an overvaluing of prospects across baseball. I understand teams don't want to get burned when they trade one away, but I am amazed at how hesitant teams are to trade them.

Turd Furgeson
07-30-2012, 12:23 AM

Well, for starters he's a 5 tool player, so he has 5 tools. A tool doesn't have to be 80 in order to be good, 80 is obscenely good. We're talking about raw tools here, what are his present tools? I'm not sure how to rank him as I've never really seen him play but according to scouting reports he's a five tool player. A guy that shows legit power in BP (not Sano but probably 60 power), and is beginning to show it here. If scouts say he's a 5 tool player, they think his bat tool is above average as well.

We're talking about tools that are still a bit raw. I mean, Sano may have 80 raw power but he sure as hell doesn't have 80 in game power presently.

Turd Furgeson
07-30-2012, 12:26 AM

Trout is getting Mickey Mantle comps thrown at him, most teams wish they had a guy like that.

Riverbrian
07-30-2012, 12:32 AM
You did just reference three of the best prospects of the past 20 years. That is a hard act to live up to. We'll see how long Rizzo and Middlebrooks keep it up.

I know... And that's exactly what I want. Is it too much to ask? :p;)

Brock Beauchamp
07-30-2012, 06:18 AM

That's a bit much to ask because the Twins already had one of those guys come up from the farm eight years ago.

mike wants wins
07-30-2012, 09:00 AM
I also find it odd how unwilling teams are to trade A level guys for the more certain current MLB player. Teams in the NFL do not like to trade draft picks for known commodities either. Malcolm Gladwell wrote an article about this bias a few years ago, it is in the interwebs someplace, if you are interested.

Riverbrian
07-30-2012, 09:39 AM
That's a bit much to ask because the Twins already had one of those guys come up from the farm eight years ago.

I know... That's why I want another one. Watching Trout run around the bases for the Angels just wants me want another one more.

It's been Awhile... The Twins need someone to come up and blow the doors off. This organization needs it. At least I need it. It's like someone closed down my baseball crack house.

Pig... I know exactly what you are saying about 8 years ago... I remember the feeling... Watching every moment when he was in the game... The Future was here... The Real Deal J.D. Durbin coming up in 2004 was an exciting time.

Brock Beauchamp
07-30-2012, 09:43 AM
I know... That's why I want another one. Watching Trout run around the bases for the Angels just wants me want another one more.

It's been Awhile... The Twins need someone to come up and blow the doors off. This organization needs it. At least I need it. It's like someone closed down my baseball crack house.

Pig... I know exactly what you are saying about 8 years ago... I remember the feeling... Watching every moment when he was in the game... The Future was here... The Real Deal J.D. Durbin coming up in 2004 was an exciting time.

Heh.

I think there's a chance we'll see that guy next year in Arcia. I think the kid is going to blow up over the next eight months. He'll force the front office's hand sooner rather than later.

Riverbrian
07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Heh.

I think there's a chance we'll see that guy next year in Arcia. I think the kid is going to blow up over the next eight months. He'll force the front office's hand sooner rather than later.

Fingers Crossed... Head bowed to the Sky... His production is looking fantastic thus far. The Twins will wait out a couple of months to delay the Arb Clock... and I will be waiting his presence on the Twins lineup card.

I hope he keeps knocking it around until that moment because I'm starting to get jazzed.

FrodaddyG
07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Fingers Crossed... Head bowed to the Sky... His production is looking fantastic thus far. The Twins will wait out a couple of months to delay the Arb Clock... and I will be waiting his presence on the Twins lineup card.

I hope he keeps knocking it around until that moment because I'm starting to get jazzed.
Ain't autocorrect a batch?

Riverbrian
07-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Ain't autocorrect a batch?

lol... I love Autocorrect... The Consequences of it are something this world needed.

My Mother In Law texted me asking how my Anniversary Date with my wife went.

I replied... We had a nice Dinner and she said that I never show affection in Public so I had no choice but to "kill" her in the middle of the restaurant in front of everybody.

When the Police arrived... I had to call for my wife to come home and show that she is indeed alive. She had to produce ID for them.

diehardtwinsfan
07-30-2012, 11:08 AM
you'd have thought the "in front of everybody" comment would have tipped her off to the mistake, but oh well...

gunnarthor
07-30-2012, 11:15 AM
lol... I love Autocorrect... The Consequences of it are something this world needed.

My Mother In Law texted me asking how my Anniversary Date with my wife went.

I replied... We had a nice Dinner and she said that I never show affection in Public so I had no choice but to "kill" her in the middle of the restaurant in front of everybody.

When the Police arrived... I had to call for my wife to come home and show that she is indeed alive. She had to produce ID for them.

So that'll make Thanksgiving dinner awkward ...

Riverbrian
07-30-2012, 11:28 AM
you'd have thought the "in front of everybody" comment would have tipped her off to the mistake, but oh well...

The First Text That Day from my mother in law was... "What do you have planned for your anniversary?"

I Meant to text "I'm taking her out... Someplace nice".

"Taking" got changed to "Eating".

She didn't respond back to that.

My Favorite was the Taco Shells exchange... My Mother in Law was going to make Taco's for my Family. She was at the store and texted me "give me a count on how many taco shells are left".

I texted back... Just one... That is your Count"

The Autocorrect changed the word "count"

Yes... I've made the wise move and stopped texting my Mother-in-Law going forward.

diehardtwinsfan
07-30-2012, 12:39 PM
if you are in the mood for some autocorrect humor.... www.damnyouautocorrect.com

kab21
07-30-2012, 07:03 PM
I think Morales might be a lost cause by this point. I'm sure they'll have him do something in Latin America this off season but he shouldn't be going to the AFL.

Latin players always go to to the DWL or VWL and American (CA and sometimes AU as well) players go to the AFL. edit - American players also go to the Latin American leagues.

So Arcia isn't bound for the AFL either.

Badsmerf
07-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Latin players always go to to the DWL or VWL and American (CA and sometimes AU as well) players go to the AFL.

So Arcia isn't bound for the AFL either.

I thought they were thinking about changing the winter leagues.

kab21
07-30-2012, 08:03 PM
I thought they were thinking about changing the winter leagues.

Have you heard anything other than getting out of Venezuela because of the security concerns?

Badsmerf
07-30-2012, 08:30 PM
No, I just remember the grumblings about the dissatisfaction with the winter leagues last year. Maybe it was just about Venezuela, but I thought the DWL wasn't a serious league and the Twins weren't high on it.