PDA

View Full Version : Article: Evaluating Francisco Liriano’s Trade Market

John Bonnes
07-26-2012, 12:25 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?836-Evaluating-Francisco-Liriano’s-Trade-Market

glunn
07-26-2012, 01:49 AM
Great article, and I agree about waiting for a really good deal from a team that does not get Greinke, and that is desperate for a better chance to make the postseason.

diehardtwinsfan
07-26-2012, 08:02 AM
call up the Braves... I'd take Delgado for Liriano straight up.

Boom Boom
07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
I have a feeling we're going to be very disappointed in what the Twins eventually get for Liriano.

Everybody knows the Twins need pitching, and they're willing to trade one of their best pitchers for it... what does that tell other teams about the Twins' opinion of Liriano?

gunnarthor
07-26-2012, 08:33 AM
I have a feeling we're going to be very disappointed in what the Twins eventually get for Liriano.

Everybody knows the Twins need pitching, and they're willing to trade one of their best pitchers for it... what does that tell other teams about the Twins' opinion of Liriano?

I think other teams opinion of Liriano is enough.

Boom Boom
07-26-2012, 08:35 AM
I think other teams opinion of Liriano is enough.

Yeah, I know.

Remember what the Twins got for Delmon Young? Yeah, me neither... that's about what I'm expecting for Liriano.

IdahoPilgrim
07-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I know.

Remember what the Twins got for Delmon Young? Yeah, me neither... that's about what I'm expecting for Liriano.

Trading Young was never a matter of trying to get something back - it was a matter of getting rid of a player who had checked out and was no longer a positive influence. I remember watching as a ball went over his head and hit the wall, and then watching the CF have to run over and pick it up and throw it back in because Young just stood there watching. In Young's case, it was addition by subtraction - we were a better team just for getting him out of the clubhouse.

James
07-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I know.

I do remember. Lester Oliveros and Cole Nelson.

CDog
07-26-2012, 10:04 AM

I would say it indicates he doesn't fit into their long-term plans due to salary as much as someone who is younger and cheaper does because they're not in contention THIS year (Liriano's last under contract) and they would like to be in the future.

Oxtung
07-26-2012, 10:25 AM
call up the Braves... I'd take Delgado for Liriano straight up.

Why would the Braves do that deal? Liriano and Delgado have been comparable pitchers so far this year. They were giving up Delgado for Dempster who has been pitching like an ace. Liriano, even with his 10 game string, has been below average.

SweetOne69
07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I know.

Young was a waiver claim, not a straight trade. The Twins had very little negotiating power/leverage with Young. We either had to take what Detroit offered or pull him back and keep him.

Brock Beauchamp
07-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Young was a waiver claim, not a straight trade. The Twins had very little negotiating power/leverage with Young. We either had to take what Detroit offered or pull him back and keep him.

My blood boils every time I think about last season's trade deadline. ARGH.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-26-2012, 11:17 AM
My blood boils every time I think about last season's trade deadline. ARGH.

I am pretty happy with the Berrios draft pick, other than that they should have def traded Kubel, Cuddyer, Capps, Thome and Young by July 31st last year.

Actually I don't really have much of a problem with them holding onto Cuddyer, I think they legitimately wanted to try to extend him at the time. The rest should have been gone.

Brock Beauchamp
07-26-2012, 11:24 AM
I am pretty happy with the Berrios draft pick, other than that they should have def traded Kubel, Cuddyer, Capps, Thome and Young by July 31st last year.

Actually I don't really have much of a problem with them holding onto Cuddyer, I think they legitimately wanted to try to extend him at the time. The rest should have been gone.

I don't have big problems with Kubel and Cuddyer sticking around but the fringe pieces should have been dealt before the waiver deadline. There was absolutely NO reason to keep them around amidst that trainwreck of a season.

UCLA_YANKEE_COLA
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm getting my hopes up that they'll make a surprisingly smart deadline move but it's happened, what, once? Ever? I'm guessing we see Liriano moved for Jim Hoey's brother.

bulldogguy
07-26-2012, 04:59 PM
The Twins got compensation picks for the loss of Kubel and Cuddyer, so keeping them last year at the deadline allowed them to at least acquire some potential talent for down the road. This year is different, with the new rules in place, unless you want to pay some the average of the top 125...and hope they don't sign that deal...you are better off trading them. Liriano is the only one that really applies in this situation...Stick a fork in Capps.