PDA

View Full Version : Article: Twins Draft History

Seth Stohs
02-23-2012, 07:05 AM
You can view the page at http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.php?237-Twins-Draft-History

Thrylos
02-23-2012, 08:45 AM
I think that it makes sense to separate the players (or indicate some way) that the Twins did not sign... I would also judge a draft by who they signed not only who they drafted...

birdwatcher
02-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Seth, this is the question I would like to see explored. I'd agree with thrylos about separating the unsigned players.
If you made a list of those players who eventually stayed on a 25-man roster for three "full" seasons or more, and then compared the numbers to some other team that fans tend to think of as superior to the Twins at drafting and developing, I wonder how the Twins would compare, even without looking at which team had the more favorable draft order. Break the tie with Hall of Famers and All-Stars.

Parker Hageman
02-23-2012, 10:58 AM
It would be interesting to see the WAR breakdown of all the draft classes (Any Twins Daily member want to take a shot at that?). I would think that the 1989 draft class might be the most successful of all those years.

Jim H
02-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Several things one could gather from Seth's data for 15 drafts by the Twins. While nearly all 1st round draft picks made the majors, less than half had significant big league careers. Less than 40% of the players taken in the first 10 rounds ever played in the majors. Over the 15 years listed here, only about a dozen, drafted and signed after the 10th round had significant big league careers.(that is a judgement call).

I don't know how important these "facts" are or how they compare to other teams. It does point out how difficult it is to get to the majors and carve out a career there.

Thrylos
02-23-2012, 11:32 AM
It would be interesting to see the WAR breakdown of all the draft classes (Any Twins Daily member want to take a shot at that?). I would think that the 1989 draft class might be the most successful of all those years.

Baseball Reference has all that stuff so it will be easy to do.

Here is the 1987 link, (http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?team_ID=MIN&year_ID=1987&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_year) one just has to add and move up year by year.

I would do it, but just not much time now :)

Seth Stohs
02-23-2012, 11:34 AM
JimH - I think it would be interesting to see how the Twins compare to other teams in these categories, but I think your last point is the best. It is really, really difficult to get to the majors and then to have a decent career.

TRex
02-23-2012, 12:45 PM
I like this idea, but personally I would choose these career milestones:

Cup of coffee
Arbitration (Dustin Mohr but not Mike Ryan)
Free agency (Pat Meares but not Allan Anderson)
Vesting retirement (10 yrs) (Cuddyer, but not Hocking)
Hall of Fame (Mauer, but not Hrbek)

I also don't think you can use the number of picks that appear in the majors as a comparison between teams because the bar that Cleatus Davidson had to reach in the 90's is much lower than for a pennant-chasing team (i.e. Braves) as well as the current Twin's team.

Thrylos
02-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Hall of Fame (Mauer, but not Hrbek)

I hope, but still a tad too early to tell... Everyone thought that Doc Gooden was going to be a Hall of Famer after his 8 first seasons :)