PDA

View Full Version : Torii Hunter and the Twins in 2013

powrwrap
07-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Torii Hunter will be a free agent in 2013. Assuming the Twins trade Span or Revere, if the price was right would you want the Twins to sign Torii to a one or two year deal?

He's going to hit .270 with 20 HR and drive in 85-90 runs. He could play right field. Might be good for ticket sales. What say you?

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Torii Hunter will be a free agent in 2013. Assuming the Twins trade Span or Revere, if the price was right would you want the Twins to sign Torii to a one or two year deal?

He's going to hit .270 with 20 HR and drive in 85-90 runs. He could play right field. Might be good for ticket sales. What say you?
1 year yes. 2 years? no way.

1 year 4-5 mil sounds about right. He could play a solid RF and fill in at DH when needed.

Top Gun
07-22-2012, 06:30 PM
No way, Torii would never want to play for the lowly Twins anyways.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-22-2012, 06:33 PM

Last week he said he would be open in returning to the Twins. He said the Angels, Rangers and Twins all interest him with his preference being staying in LA.

J-Dog Dungan
07-22-2012, 06:36 PM

Torii has said previously that he would be interested in returning to the Twins, and I am sure that he would be welcomed back with open arms by many fans (me included). However, I think the Twins will have to pry him away from the Angels to get him, as he has also expressed interest in staying with the Angels, and if they are willing to overpay to keep him, I am just fine with that too. While he would be a strong, Old Guard MN presence, I am not sure that his hitting style really fits Target Field.

If the Twins don't move Span or Willingham, I don't think that they bring him back. It is more likely that they will go with Hunter if they trade Span, move Revere over to center, and keep Willingham in left. While this would keep Parmalee from having a starting spot, Torii would be well worth the veteran addition to the clubhouse that he would bring.

powrwrap
07-22-2012, 06:39 PM
1 year yes. 2 years? no way.

1 year 4-5 mil sounds about right. He could play a solid RF and fill in at DH when needed.

I don't think Torii could be had for $5M a year. You think .267/.328/.418 and 20 HRs and above average OF defense is only worth $5M a year? Who are some comps? Johnny Damon (.261/.326/.418) made $5.75M for the Rays in 2011. Coco Crisp (.264/.314/.369) is making $6M and will make $7M next year.

Bark's Lounge
07-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Nostalgia can often hinder one's vision. I think it would be a mistake. Let's move forward with the pieces we have or will have and leave that past glory where it remains now. If you think about it, it wasn't all that glorious to begin with.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-22-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't think Torii could be had for $5M a year. You think .267/.328/.418 and 20 HRs and above average OF defense is only worth $5M a year? Who are some comps? Johnny Damon (.261/.326/.418) made $5.75M for the Rays in 2011. Coco Crisp (.264/.314/.369) is making $6M and will make $7M next year.

He also will be turning 38 next season and has showed significant decline in all aspects of his game the past couple seasons.

I'm sure he will be looking for more and someone may give it to him, I'd just be interested in him for around a one year 5 mil contract. (Maybe even less) I'm not sure the Angels will really have room for him next year anyways, so the market could be somewhat thin.

Shane Wahl
07-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Why on earth would the Twins sign a FA OF? Hunter isn't even going to get 20 homers this year. His OPS has dropped each year since 2009.

powrwrap
07-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Why on earth would the Twins sign a FA OF? Hunter isn't even going to get 20 homers this year. His OPS has dropped each year since 2009.

Let's wait and see if he gets 20 HR. Assume Span is traded. Who's going to play RF for the Twins next year? I think it would be nice to have Willingham and Hunter in the lineup.

drjim
07-22-2012, 07:05 PM
I think he makes sense on a one year deal for both on the field and marketing reasons. No idea what he would cost or if other teams would have interest.

Top Gun
07-22-2012, 07:07 PM
You got a half dozen OFers waiting in the wings why would you buy one.

spideyo
07-22-2012, 07:28 PM
If you are gonna bring back a guy who is close to retirement simply for nostalgia and his bat, go sign Thome. At least he has always been respectful towards the organization and the fans. Hunter is kind of a dick.

drjim
07-22-2012, 07:42 PM
You got a half dozen OFers waiting in the wings why would you buy one.

Because none of them will be ready at the start of next year.

edavis0308
07-22-2012, 07:45 PM
I feel like he always says that he would be "open to signing with" about any team the media asks him about. If 2013 is going to be a rebuilding year, get some of the young guys up and start getting an extended look at our overstock of outfielders.

TheLeviathan
07-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Rangers and being close to home with a legit chance for a World Series title......or Minnesota. I would say we're behind in that race by a bit.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Rangers and being close to home with a legit chance for a World Series title......or Minnesota. I would say we're behind in that race by a bit.

Will the Rangers have a spot for him?

edavis0308
07-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Will the Rangers have a spot for him?

How has Oswalt been pitching lately?

greengoblinrulz
07-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Torii has already stated that he's not interested in the Twins....but will deny it after saying it.

diehardtwinsfan
07-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Because none of them will be ready at the start of next year.

I'd probably throw Parmalee out there next year until Morneau is gone. Once Morneau is traded or his contract finishes, you move Chris to first base and call up whichever of Hicks/Arcia/Benson seems the most ready. Come 2014, we start thinking of trading Revere and/or Willingham depending on how the other two are doing.

70charger
07-22-2012, 08:49 PM
How has Oswalt been pitching lately?

I don't think he's talking roster spots. That outfield has David Murphy, Nelson Cruz, and Josh Hamilton, as well as a good 24-year old prospect in Leonys Martin. If Hamilton walks, maybe Hunter's a one-year guy. If Hamilton stays, where do you put him?

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-22-2012, 08:53 PM
I don't think he's talking roster spots. That outfield has David Murphy, Nelson Cruz, and Josh Hamilton, as well as a good 24-year old prospect in Leonys Martin. If Hamilton walks, maybe Hunter's a one-year guy. If Hamilton stays, where do you put him?

Craig Gentry is having a very nice year as well. If Profar comes up next season I wouldn't be shocked to see them move Kinsler to the OF.

Either way at this point it appears the Rangers don't have a lot of roster spots for position players heading into next season (other then possible C/1B)

TheLeviathan
07-22-2012, 08:55 PM
There are always options when you have a DH.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-22-2012, 08:58 PM
There are always options when you have a DH.

Which they are already paying Michael Young 16 Million next year to occupy.

I can't see Hunter being an option unless they:

Lose Hamilton AND one of the following happens:
1. Trade Cruz
2. Trade/cut Young

And even then its questionable.

TheLeviathan
07-22-2012, 09:02 PM
You're right, far more feasible that he'll go to the worst team in the AL.

This team has David Murphy in LF and Mitch Moreland at 1B and an aging Young. I'm sure they can find ABs in the right situation.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-22-2012, 09:07 PM

This team has David Murphy in LF and Mitch Moreland at 1B and an aging Young. I'm sure they can find ABs in the right situation.

I'm not saying Hunter would prefer Minnesota over Texas, I'm saying Texas will probably not have the at bats for him nor the desire to bring him in. (unless they get rid of Hamilton+another OF)

Also FWIW: Murphy and Moreland are both outpreforming Hunter by quite a bit, plus they have the advantage of being millions of dollars cheaper and not 37 years old.
I find it funny you mention an aging Michael Young who still is 2 years younger than Hunter.

Time to let this one go Lev and move on.

greengoblinrulz
07-22-2012, 09:18 PM
If he's gonna go to a bad team, he can go to his homestate Astros before returning home. While he may admit money isnt the issue, its always an issue with Torii.....esp if he'd come back here, he'd wanna get paid

edavis0308
07-22-2012, 09:35 PM

For whatever reason, I read the comment and was thinking we were in the Liriano thread..oops

kab21
07-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Best case scenario imo is that the Twins get a haul for Span and willingham at the deadline and they sign a decent veteran like Hunter on a short contract. That allows Benson/Hicks to compete for one OF spot and Hunter can occupy one spot. Parmelee can split DH/1B with Doumit/Mauer/Morneau.

Just because a team is rebuilding doesn't mean that there can't be any veterans. The important thing is to make sure that they don't trade for any players 2-3 yrs away from FA, don't give out long contracts to declining veterans and don't sign so many that young players are blocked.

70charger
07-22-2012, 10:18 PM

I'm not sure why you have a problem with David Murphy. Dude's no superstar, but compare his stats and Torii's:

http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player.htm?id=5532
http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player.htm?id=7628

Here are my key takeaways: Torii's and Murphy's career OPS are virtually identical, but Murphy is 30 and Torii is 37. The OPS trajectory of their past 3 or 4 years has shown that Murphy is flat to slightly-improving, whereas Torii has shown a precipitous decline (and again, this goes back to age). Murphy's contract for 2012 is $3.625 million plus one more year of arbitration. Torii's contract for 2012 is $18 million, and he's a free agent after that. While it's pretty much a certainty that no one will pay him 5 times more than David Murphy next year, there's no reason to think that he's worth even one red cent more, what with his lower current production and declining numbers.

A smart GM doesn't replace Murphy with Torii. A smart GM might plug a vacant hole with Torii, but that's not the situation in Texas.

Nick Nelson
07-22-2012, 10:31 PM
What the Twins need for RF next year is a stopgap who can step aside when a guy like Arcia, Benson or Hicks proves ready for a shot. Hunter doesn't really fit the bill because he'll still see himself as a full-time guy (deserving of a full-time salary).

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-22-2012, 10:36 PM
What the Twins need for RF next year is a stopgap who can step aside when a guy like Arcia, Benson or Hicks proves ready for a shot. Hunter doesn't really fit the bill because he'll still see himself as a full-time guy (deserving of a full-time salary).

If it's Hicks or Benson I think they should replace Revere in CF (All this assumes Span is gone by then, which he may not be) Ideally Revere ultimately ends up back as your 4th OF unless he can outperform Hunter.

In a perfect world our end of year OF next year would be Willingham, Hicks (CF), and Arcia/Benson.

striker_86
07-22-2012, 10:41 PM
If they trade Span then its worth a shot, otherwise no way.

TheLeviathan
07-22-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm not saying Hunter would prefer Minnesota over Texas, I'm saying Texas will probably not have the at bats for him nor the desire to bring him in. (unless they get rid of Hamilton+another OF)

Also FWIW: Murphy and Moreland are both outpreforming Hunter by quite a bit, plus they have the advantage of being millions of dollars cheaper and not 37 years old.
I find it funny you mention an aging Michael Young who still is 2 years younger than Hunter.

Time to let this one go Lev and move on.

I'm not saying it makes perfect sense for Texas. I'm simply saying that we can throw around assumptions until we're blue in the face. Hell, he could be ok platooning with Murphy for all you or I know.

BrentMpls
07-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Nope.

I don't want to see Torri here. Torri is about Torri, not about the team.

jm3319
07-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Nostalgia can often hinder one's vision. I think it would be a mistake. Let's move forward with the pieces we have or will have and leave that past glory where it remains now. If you think about it, it wasn't all that glorious to begin with.

Thank you. Well said.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
07-23-2012, 04:25 AM
If BOTH Willingham and Span are traded, signing Torii Hunter would be a great idea. Span is as good as gone, but I think we'll keep Josh. I just don't see it happening with Willingham, Revere, and Mastroianni all playing good baseball. Hicks and Arcia are knocking on the door too.

Brandon
07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
I think Minnesota is the most logical spot for Torii. I guess he could replace Delmon in Detroit or goto Cleveland. But he has played here for a long time. I can see a 1 year deal if Span is traded (I hope they trade him after the season if they do there is no reason to trade him now as there is no one to replace him). I can see a 1 year 4 -6 million but I can only see this signing after we address the rotation.

James
07-23-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't see Torii as a fit. Arcia, Hicks and Benson are all close and could be competing for an outfield spot next year. And if we are truly rebuilding, these are the guys you want out there getting experience. Even if they're not ready by the beginning of next season, you can plug the RF hole with Parmelee.

I get the veteran presence argument, but the team already has vets like Willingham, Doumit, Morneau and Mauer.

Fire Dan Gladden
07-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Even if you make the assumption that:

- Hunter would truely consider coming back to the Twins
- He could be had for a 1/2 year deal under $10 mil

I don't think that there is really a spot here for him. I agree that the Twins need a 1-2 year guy, but Hunter needs to DH o a semi-regular basis as well. The Twins have that spot spoken for with the Doumit/Mauer/Morneau trifecta. I think he could bring some life back to the clubhouse, along with another decent right-handed stick, but I don't see this being as good fit on this team as the roster is currently constructed.

Boom Boom
07-23-2012, 10:02 AM
If the Twins have the money to spend on Hunter, they should probably invest it in pitching instead.

Shane Wahl
07-23-2012, 10:11 AM
All money spent should go to starting pitching and MAYBE a middle infielder. I would prefer, if everything hit the fan, that Mastroianni, Carson, and Ramirez were given a competition for RF instead of spending 6-8 million on Hunter.

Yoshii
07-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I like it, after all I do have a 2012 signed Torii Hunter Twins cap. Still taking bids for it btw.

DPJ
07-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Hunter on a one year deal makes a ton of sense, he's still a viable bat with enough defense to not kill you on the corners. Move Revere to LF, Willingham to DH and that's a respectable stop gap to see where Hicks, Arcia & Benson are in 2013.

I guess alot depends on what happens with Span over the next couple weeks.

minn55441
07-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Love Tori Hunter, he was one of my favorite Twin's and I still enjoy watching him on the Angels, but their is no room for him on our roster. We have plenty of outfielders even after we trade away one at the dealine. We have some very cost effective options at all of the outfield postions for many years to come. All FA money must and I repeat must be spent on pitching.

diehardtwinsfan
07-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Hunter on a one year deal makes a ton of sense, he's still a viable bat with enough defense to not kill you on the corners. Move Revere to LF, Willingham to DH and that's a respectable stop gap to see where Hicks, Arcia & Benson are in 2013.

Not just Span, do they leave Parmalee in AAA all next year? The guy needs a spot and doesn't seem to have much to prove in Rochester... SSS I know, but the kid is ripping the cover off the ball. While he is not a RFer, he has played there, and letting him play there during what will likely be a semi-competitive season might not be a bad option at all. But if that spot isn't his, then where exactly do you put him? I'd probably dump Butera and keep Doumit as the backup C, but that apprently isn't an option.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-23-2012, 11:08 AM
If the Twins have the money to spend on Hunter, they should probably invest it in pitching instead.

Yeah, because all those 1 year 5 mil contracts we handed out to pitchers over the past decade have worked out so well.

Think of it this way, we can replace Capps with Hunter!

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-23-2012, 11:09 AM

I'd prefer to move Revere to 4th OF the second one of Benson or Hicks is ready to take over CF.

nicksaviking
07-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Sounds more like a PR move the team would make after getting rid of the rest of the vets. However, I don't think Hunter would be too excited to come to a rebuilding team. His swing would probably play into Target Field's sweet spot however, just as Willingham and Plouffe seem to be currently benefiting. No doubt the Twins will continue to look for right handed free agent bats with average to above average power moving forward.

PseudoSABR
07-23-2012, 01:19 PM
As kab suggested, if you trade both Willingham and Span, signing Hunter to one year deal (with an option year) to help make up the gap between Arcia/Benson/Hicks makes some sense.