PDA

View Full Version : Twins asking for a "ton" for Span

gunnarthor
07-21-2012, 10:55 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/quick-hits-yankees-span-giants-broxton-mets.html#disqus_thread

Nice to hear the Twins aren't trading him for a 4th OFer.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
07-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Good news, but we all assumed they would.

Highabove
07-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Span has been playing with his Head up his A## the last few weeks. This cant be helping his trade value.

PMKI
07-21-2012, 11:12 PM
If we don't trade him this deadline I think it is a big mistake. We can't just keep dangling him out there. It has got to be messing with Denard hearing these rumors and could very well hurt his relationship with the organization. Hopefully somebody bites on him and gives us our asking price but I just don't see it.

Bark's Lounge
07-21-2012, 11:19 PM
I get the whole screwing with Denard's mental state angle of this and I hope he can be professional about it. The Twins should be asking for quite a bit and if there is no trade to be had - so be it. I definitely will not have a smile on my face if he is traded... no matter the return.

Erock
07-21-2012, 11:54 PM
There is always the offseason and next season, but I think now is probably the best time to trade him.

J-Dog Dungan
07-22-2012, 12:16 AM
I do think we need to get the wait over and trade him because the rumors appear to be affecting his play, if only a little. We are definately in the position to ask for a lot for Span, because he is a valuable commodity on the trade market and if we are going to part with him we will only do it reluctantly.

stringer bell
07-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Span has been "exciting" since the All-Star break. He's made more fielding misplays and baserunning misplays in 10 days than he had the entire season. He has sprinkled in some pretty good hitting and a few web gems, so it hasn't all been bad, but he looks like he might be a bit distracted.

Oxtung
07-22-2012, 01:11 AM
I for one am glad the Twins are "asking for a ton". The Twins hold all the cards. Holding onto Span even potentially helps the Twins because it gives more time to evaluate whether Revere, Hicks or Benson are the answers for CF and the lead off spot. Even if he doesn't move in the next week or so he will still have a similar amount of value this winter or even a year from now. The only downside here that I can see is if he gets moved later rather than sooner the prospects will come later rather than sooner as well.

Top Gun
07-22-2012, 01:55 AM
A ton of what?

Oxtung
07-22-2012, 02:00 AM
A ton of what?

Bouncy balls and slinkies. They are going to give them away to the first 100 fans at every game. This is the new marketing strategy for the next few months. The product on the field is bad but the Slinky races are oh so fun!!

Badsmerf
07-22-2012, 02:15 AM
A ton of what?

Relievers. Preferably ones that have veteran presence.

spideyo
07-22-2012, 02:46 AM
D'ya think they asking a ton from everyone, or are the Yankees gonna be asked to pay more?

neboo
07-22-2012, 10:06 AM
I for one am glad the Twins are "asking for a ton". The Twins hold all the cards. Holding onto Span even potentially helps the Twins because it gives more time to evaluate whether Revere, Hicks or Benson are the answers for CF and the lead off spot. Even if he doesn't move in the next week or so he will still have a similar amount of value this winter or even a year from now. The only downside here that I can see is if he gets moved later rather than sooner the prospects will come later rather than sooner as well.

Revere is obviously the cf of the future. Look at that smile!

Shane Wahl
07-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Victorino to the Yankees is what I would predict, there.

greengoblinrulz
07-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Starting to believe they wont do anything & give the 'we think we can compete with this team if we just add a piece or 2'

Badsmerf
07-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Starting to believe they wont do anything & give the 'we think we can compete with this team if we just add a piece or 2'

You been following this team for long? Its going to be excuse after excuse about why they didn't move people.

Rosterman
07-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Just keep in mind that Span isn't the only choice for a team out there. Like Liriano isn't the only starter. And one could argue if both are the best.....

darin617
07-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Revere is obviously the cf of the future. Look at that smile!

Now if only MLB would allow the Twins to have a 10th fielder on the field to serve as the designated thrower for Ben Revere and his noodle arm.

Top Gun
07-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Denard Span is back in the Twins' lineup Sunday after exiting Saturday's game due to dizziness.

The dizziness was especially a concern given Span's prior concussion issues, but evidently it's no longer an issue. Span is batting .276/.342/.378 over 86 games with the Twins this season.

Source: Rhett Bollinger on Twitter (https://twitter.com/RhettBollinger/status/227077609702432768)

Highabove
07-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Span is not an upcoming Free Agent. There is not a deadline for a Span Trade. He might be traded a year from now.
Ryan will wait for the right deal.

Brock Beauchamp
07-22-2012, 12:56 PM

What indication do you have that they won't do anything? The deadline isn't for another nine days.

Boom Boom
07-22-2012, 01:19 PM
"A ton" is relative when talking about Yankees prospects. They're frequently overrated.

Dilligaf69
07-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Span has been playing with his Head up his A## the last few weeks. This cant be helping his trade value.

Agree he's been barely avg lately.....and when is the last time he got a big hit??? They will almost certainly trade him and they should but they won't get a ton for him. He should fetch a decent prospect or two but nothing great. Revere is ready to take over full time in CF...his hitting has improved drastically and if he can draw more walks nobody will care about his noodle arm. Then we can promote Parm full time and play him in RF.

70charger
07-22-2012, 04:25 PM
They should ask for a ton. He's, frankly, a good player, and if we're talking prospects (as we should be) then I want multiple good-to-great prospects in return. Besides, ask for 2000 pounds and you might get 1500 without too much of a fight. Ask for 1000, and that's where you stay.

diehardtwinsfan
07-22-2012, 07:09 PM
A ton of what?

I'm guessing he means he wants Carlos Silva and Livan Hernandez.

70charger
07-22-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm guessing he means he wants Carlos Silva and Livan Hernandez.

Was Dennys Reyes not available?

diehardtwinsfan
07-23-2012, 07:50 AM
That might be closer to 2 tons...

Thrylos
07-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Now if only MLB would allow the Twins to have a 10th fielder on the field to serve as the designated thrower for Ben Revere and his noodle arm.

Keiunta really gunned that runner at the plate last night with his gun...

Siehbiscuit
07-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Defensively, Hicks would be a GREAT RF immediately, but can his bat be ready for 2013? He deserves a Sept call-up. If Span can net a very good pitching prospect and/or middle infielder that can he should be moved. Span's value is still very good. He takes a lot of pitches per at bat and that helps Revere quite a bit. Span is a very consistent leadoff guy and I predict he ends up with the Pirates for a A level pitching prospect.

diehardtwinsfan
07-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Hicks is 22 and appears to be finally clicking... He's had a lot of ups and downs and certainly still has some obvious flaws... Personally, I don't think that Hicks or Arcia should be playing in MN at all in 2013 except for the 2 week injury callup or something like that. Benson is likely similar given that this season is looking like it may be lost due to that injury and what not. Honestly, I think the team would be better off letting Parmalee man that spot temporarily until 1B opens up.

ashburyjohn
07-23-2012, 11:29 AM
My take on the original quote was that some peer of Ryan's at a different club is saying he's asking too much. Major league center fielders don't grow on trees and Ryan shouldn't give one away; but an average CF is not going to bring two stud prospects in return. That's what I'm inferring is going on here, that Ryan seems to prefer to stand pat if he is offered only one prospect that is likely to top out at major league average in return.

But maybe that is only one GM, and some other one will play ball with Ryan and overpay.

diehardtwinsfan
07-23-2012, 01:30 PM
this is the point where time is on Ryan's side, and the closer you get to the deadline, the more likely someone will overpay. Ryan certainly could overplay his hand here and not trade Span, but in a way that's something that he needs to do from time to time. Remember that it was his predecessor that basically said "I'm going to trade so and so" and then proceeded to trash his product and trade him for peanuts. You don't want that either, and not trading a guy establishes that you won't do a Hardy for Hoey or a Capps for Ramos.

PseudoSABR
07-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Ichiro to the Yankees. So cross their interest for Span off the list. Can't believe the Mariners trades Ichiro.

snepp
07-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Ichiro to the Yankees. So cross their interest for Span off the list. Can't believe the Mariners trades Ichiro.

Raise your hand if anyone saw this coming.

Thrylos
07-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Raise your hand if anyone saw this coming.

apparently he pulled a Knoblauch a couple weeks ago (asked to be traded)

nicksaviking
07-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Have to give the M's credit for keeping that under wraps. How many other front offices could keep the news that the face of the franchise wants out for two weeks.

howeda7
07-24-2012, 11:46 PM
If the Nats are still high on him, could we get Jordan Zimmerman and a prospect for Span and Liriano? It seems unlikely the Nats would trade a starter but Frankie would make it close to a wash for this season and net them Span. Getting a young, cheap #2/#3 starter would be worth both, IMO. Hell throw Carrol in too if they're interested in him.

kab21
07-25-2012, 02:13 AM
If the Nats are still high on him, could we get Jordan Zimmerman and a prospect for Span and Liriano? It seems unlikely the Nats would trade a starter but Frankie would make it close to a wash for this season and net them Span. Getting a young, cheap #2/#3 starter would be worth both, IMO. Hell throw Carrol in too if they're interested in him.

I think zimmerman is in the untradeable category.

imo the Nats are out on Span. Jayson Werth just started rehab and that would give them 4 players for 1B/OF in Werth/Morse/Harper/LaRoche.

howeda7
07-25-2012, 11:08 PM
I think zimmerman is in the untradeable category.

imo the Nats are out on Span. Jayson Werth just started rehab and that would give them 4 players for 1B/OF in Werth/Morse/Harper/LaRoche.

He probably is. But he's arbitration eligible next year and they already have to pay for Strasburg and Gonzalez going forward, so he's not as untouchable as he might normally be.

rickyhawaii
07-25-2012, 11:17 PM
The Reds seem like they might be the best trade partner for Span at the moment. MLBTR had something on it. Would be great to get Either JC Sulbaran or Tony Cingrani in a deal and if they'd add in Didi Gregorius that'd be ideal.. Reds will prob want to buy also so they can try for a world series run..