PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Would You Rather be a Royals Fan?

powrwrap
07-21-2012, 12:27 PM
The Twins and the Royals are battling for the cellar position in the AL Central. Suppose you were a baseball fan in a neutral city and you had to choose between the Royals or the Twins to be your favorite team for the next 5 years. Which team would you pick?

Royals: Stocked full of young (supposed) talent: Moustakas, Hosmer, Escobar, Salvador Perez, Danny Duffy (needs TJ surgery), Mike Montgomery, Bubba Starling, etc. Also have some pretty good players in Billy Butler, Alex Gordon and a decent bullpen. They are well on their way to rebuilding.

Twins: Starting pitching in disarray and not much hope in the system. Established players are trade fodder (Span, Liriano) or would be trade fodder if questions about injuries were settled (Morneau, Capps.) In fact, just about every player except Mauer is trade bait. The Twins haven't started rebuilding and management seems to be in denial over the need to do so. The bullpen is good, but is it a mirage?

So which team would you rather watch develop over the next 5 years?

jm3319
07-21-2012, 12:40 PM
The Twins and the Royals are battling for the cellar position in the AL Central. Suppose you were a baseball fan in a neutral city and you had to choose between the Royals or the Twins to be your favorite team for the next 5 years. Which team would you pick?

Royals: Stocked full of young (supposed) talent: Moustakas, Hosmer, Escobar, Salvador Perez, Danny Duffy (needs TJ surgery), Mike Montgomery, Bubba Starling, etc. Also have some pretty good players in Billy Butler, Alex Gordon and a decent bullpen. They are well on their way to rebuilding.

Twins: Starting pitching in disarray and not much hope in the system. Established players are trade fodder (Span, Liriano) or would be trade fodder if questions about injuries were settled (Morneau, Capps.) In fact, just about every player except Mauer is trade bait. The Twins haven't started rebuilding and management seems to be in denial over the need to do so. The bullpen is good, but is it a mirage?

Kansas City has been "way on their way to rebuilding" for countless years and they still suck. Sure, their future looks brighter but until they actually prove it on the field, i'd still stick with the Twins for the next 5 years. Having said that, my expectations are very low for the Twins.

IdahoPilgrim
07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm guessing, from the way you worded your first post, that you started this thread with an assumed correct answer in mind (Kansas City).

Before we start anointing them the most promising franchise in baseball, let's just remember that the Kansas City franchise has looked promising for years, but has never really delivered. They have had only one winning season since 1995, and haven't made the playoffs since 1985. The Twins, over that time, have had far more success, and while the next couple of years may be unsatisfying, their track record shows that they know how to build a team that contends.

I would also disagree with your statement that they have not started rebuilding and are in denial of the need to do so. Every interview I've heard this year with management shows they know the hole they are in. Their drafting strategy this year, heavy on power-arm pitchers, shows them trying to address identified needs. Just because their rebuilding plan differs from your vision of what it should be doesn't mean they don't have one and are in denial. Time will tell whether or not their plan works. Kansas City's so far hasn't.

powrwrap
07-21-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm guessing, from the way you worded your first post, that you started this thread with an assumed correct answer in mind (Kansas City).

Yeah, kind of...

Before we start anointing them the most promising franchise in baseball, let's just remember that the Kansas City franchise has looked promising for years, but has never really delivered. They have had only one winning season since 1995, and haven't made the playoffs since 1985. The Twins, over that time, have had far more success, and while the next couple of years may be unsatisfying, their track record shows that they know how to build a team that contends.

Well, I never said they were the most promising franchise in baseball. From a neutral baseball fan standpoint, I think the Royals prospects are more compelling and have a brighter 5 year outlook.

Just because their rebuilding plan differs from your vision of what it should be

I wasn't aware that I offered an opinion on the Twins rebuilding plan.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/sorry.gif

Brock Beauchamp
07-21-2012, 01:21 PM
I'd rather be a Twins fan. The Royals have a lot of promise. The Royals also have a lengthy track record of squandering promise.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-21-2012, 01:24 PM
God no.

The Royals playoff appearances before the Brett era:0
The Royals playoff appearances after the Brett era: 0

The ownership/management is clueless there, yes they have a nice looking farm system because eventually when you draft in the top 5 year in and year out some of those guys will end up being top prospects.

minn55441
07-21-2012, 02:14 PM

Great discussion point. The Royals are currently the team everyone seems want to turn the twins into. As you mentioned, they have a pitching staff full of young power arms and high ceiling position players. Isn't that what everyone has been posting about? But guess what, they aren't winning many games. That is what matters.

Everyone bashes our "pitch to contact guys", and long for the 95-98 mph fastball pitchers. You have to have more than just a 95+ fastball or Hoey would currently be our closer. Each of their relievers looked impressive last night, but we are the ones that ended up getting the "W". Granted, small sample size, but over half a season, they really havn't put it together yet. Will they do better in 2013? 2014? 2015?

I would rather be a twin's fan and I hope they don't scrap the whole roster and start over, or we could turn into the Royals. Keep the core of players you know can contribute and add in the key pieces that are needed. If we 1) get lucky on a few FA's 2) avoid injury things could turn around quickly.

Top Gun
07-21-2012, 04:18 PM
I will take the

I will take the Royals! They will be a playoff team in the next 5 years, maybe as early as next season. The Twins will be cellar dwellers for the
next 5 years with no hope of winning.

COtwin
07-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Why does it matter. We are the Royals. Both teams have a broken system. The Twins for the last several years seem to have out performed expectations while the Royals have seemingly underperformed. So we made the playoffs a few times. Ever since the Oakland series I have stopped allowing myself to believe that our system could do it (world series). As fans we have let the Twins management hand us a half assed product and now they are reapng the benefits of a new stadium. Has anyone else noticed that the general consensus on most blogs is that payroll will drop and that it seems like fans are ok with that? The pohlads have coasted and now they brought back their mouthpiece (TR) to add to our delusion.

Jocko87
07-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Coming to you from Royals country, I can tell you to stop kidding yourself. You were struggling when you were naming top prospects and you can guarantee that any of them that pay off will go the way of the Grienke's, Dye's, Beltran's and on and on. I've been here watching them "develop" for over ten years now and this crop of kids is no different, they always have lots of young potential.

Quick quiz, name a competent Royals pitcher or pitching prospect. Bruce Chen doesn't count, he's only good against the Twins. They have the same problem as the Twins, but with less resources to solve it. They don't get free agent pitchers for the same reason I'm not at the game today, its a 105 fricking degrees in the shade.

gunnarthor
07-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Twins. I think a potential future of Sano, Rosario, Buxton, Hicks and Arcia is pretty solid. Terry Ryan has shown that he can switch the teams nucleus without requiring 5 years. The 02-04 playoff Twins merged into the Mauer/Morneau playoff Twins pretty well. This current team, while putting up a pretty crappy w-l record, doesn't feel as helpless as last years team. I suspect the Twins will be back in the playoffs (losing in the first round, so it won't matter to some) much faster than the Royals.

COtwin
07-21-2012, 07:04 PM
I am not saying making the playoffs doesn't matter. I am saying that when that becomes the highest reasonable ceiling for a team than that teams leadership system needs gutted. Why do the Minnesota Twins have lower standards than the Tigers or Sox or Rangers or Cardinals or Astros. The great thing about the last decade is the parity. The world series matchups have featured a wide array of teams and markets. Sure some luckily timed hot streaks allowed some teams to sneak in, but it really looks like anybody has had a chance. In the last 19 world series (since the twins last appearance), 19 different teams have made at least one series. I think it is time to expect more.

drjim
07-21-2012, 10:56 PM
I am not saying making the playoffs doesn't matter. I am saying that when that becomes the highest reasonable ceiling for a team than that teams leadership system needs gutted. Why do the Minnesota Twins have lower standards than the Tigers or Sox or Rangers or Cardinals or Astros. The great thing about the last decade is the parity. The world series matchups have featured a wide array of teams and markets. Sure some luckily timed hot streaks allowed some teams to sneak in, but it really looks like anybody has had a chance. In the last 19 world series (since the twins last appearance), 19 different teams have made at least one series. I think it is time to expect more.

I can understand the argument that people don't think the current leadership can break through (I would disagree, especially about Terry Ryan), but I think the idea that people don't expect more and haven't expected more is a complete strawman.