PDA

View Full Version : Terry Ryan has this Right

JB_Iowa
07-19-2012, 06:17 PM
There's an interview with TR on the PP: http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_21113174/twins-gm-terry-ryan-we-need-starting-pitching

I found this quote particularly interesting: "Well, I don't know what you're talking about with a very good offense but we're averaging four runs a game. That isn't a very good offense," he said. "I don't want to berate my own organization here but I have to be honest; we're not scoring runs. We score 19 the other day and then we come back last night and score one. That's the type of stuff we're dealing with here."

Thank you, Mr. Ryan, for not trying to convince us that the Twins' problems are only ONLY starting pitching and defense.

Bark's Lounge
07-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Although the offense has struggled somewhat and it seems like it is feast or famine with our hitting - the talent and ability is there. Who knows why it has not gelled into a cohesive unit as of yet. It is disappointing none the less. As for the starting pitching - very little talent, junk yard dogs rounded up to give a desperate, failing effort. The bullpen is okay, but it is not awesome as some seem to think. This season has sucked to a high extent, but I must admit it has been better this year than last. There are some position players having good years - of which is a reason to keep watching. Last year - not so much of that.

COtwin
07-19-2012, 07:11 PM
It's good to hear TR come out and say what everyone already knows. The lineup is strong in a few places but the bottom of the order is definitely a place that could stand to be upgraded. The middle infield and specifically second could stand to be looked at. Dozier has earned the chance to start next year, in my opinion. Casilla has flashes and occasionally Carroll comes through but neither provide the feeling that they will last. So unless we create a hole in a trade it seems to me second and bench are it for an offensive upgrade.

spideyo
07-19-2012, 07:23 PM
If nothing else, Terry Ryan's willingness to publicly speak critically of the Twins is a vast and refreshing improvement from bill smith.

birdwatcher
07-19-2012, 07:26 PM
TR's candor is refreshing.

spideyo
07-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Plus, he's the ONLY Twins exec that's willing to tell me to "turn this crap off and put on a game" when sports center starts repeating the same headline story for the fourth time

glanzer
07-19-2012, 09:58 PM
I don't remember Terry Ryan being so candidly open in his previous stint as GM. He seems to have come back to his old post angry. Very refreshing, no more BS sugarcoating.

BrentMpls
07-19-2012, 10:33 PM
He said the same on the radio the other day. He wants the message to get across it seems.

Top Gun
07-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Talk is cheap, he has done nottin yet!

Clyde
07-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Talk is cheap, he has done nottin yet!

Considering the state of the team when he took over he can only do so much. Part of the problem is the stud player Ryan drafted in 2005 was traded by Smith. Many other draftees from 2004-2007 have played, but none are established stars. The bad trades by Smith coupled with no immediate return from the escaping free agents may have doomed this franchise foor a few more years of mediocrity. One year is not going to turn it around. Trading to trade is pointless. It gets you a bag of baseballs for Matt Garza, JJ Hardy, or even the Santana trade. Trading to improve is timing and having an asset worth trading. Last winter was not the time to trade an asset as there wasn't much tradeable. Now what could be traded, half are injured.

greengoblinrulz
07-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Considering the state of the team when he took over he can only do so much. Part of the problem is the stud player Ryan drafted in 2005 was traded by Smith. Many other draftees from 2004-2007 have played, but none are established stars. The bad trades by Smith coupled with no immediate return from the escaping free agents may have doomed this franchise foor a few more years of mediocrity. One year is not going to turn it around. Trading to trade is pointless. It gets you a bag of baseballs for Matt Garza, JJ Hardy, or even the Santana trade. Trading to improve is timing and having an asset worth trading. Last winter was not the time to trade an asset as there wasn't much tradeable. Now what could be traded, half are injured.

Dealing Loshe/Garza & Hardy all came down from the dislike of these players from the manager. At least now we have a GM with the nuts to tell Gardy, 'too bad' & make it work.

TheLeviathan
07-20-2012, 04:02 AM
It's reassuring to think our GM doesn't believe a mediocre offense is anywhere close to being competitive as has been alluded to here by some.

Clyde
07-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Dealing Loshe/Garza & Hardy all came down from the dislike of these players from the manager. At least now we have a GM with the nuts to tell Gardy, 'too bad' & make it work.

That is why managers are not GMs at the same time they manage. Poor outcomes follow.

RIP BYTO
07-20-2012, 07:39 PM

TR did not have the nads to stand up to Gardy his first go around, what makes you think this time is any different?

Top Gun
07-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Maybe Gardy will tell him to shove it!

snepp
07-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Maybe the Pohlads will tell both of them to shove it.

Thrylos
07-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Maybe the Pohlads will tell both of them to shove it.

Amen