PDA

View Full Version : Nick Blackburn Promoted to Twins

Seth Stohs
07-17-2012, 09:51 PM
We knew Matt Capps was going on the DL. Now we know the other half of the transaction. RHP Nick Blackburn, who pitched well and ate innings in his two AAA starts since his demotion, will return to the Twins.

Most likely Blackburn would replace Brian Duensing in the starting rotation with Duensing returning to the bullpen.

With Deduno's rough start tonight, it will be interesting to see if he remains in the rotation, maybe goes to the bullpen of if they would DFA him (can't imagine anyone would claim him so he should be able to go back to Rochester). Jeff Manship started in Rochester and pitched well again giving up two runs in six innings.

USAFChief
07-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Well that didn't take long.

snepp
07-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Let the shuffling of chairs commence.

mikeee
07-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike wants wins
07-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Yo-yo time for all these guys....I don't think either is all that good, so it doesn't matter much to me at this point, as long as Duensing moves back to the pen. There are only so many pitches in an arm....imo.

greengoblinrulz
07-17-2012, 10:38 PM
move made 100% due to contractual reasons......will the Bill Smtih ere ever cease to haunt

Badsmerf
07-17-2012, 10:38 PM
What did he fix to pitch the way he did is my question? I want Hendriks up.

clutterheart
07-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Remember when Blackburn pitched game 163?

That was awesome.

chopper0080
07-17-2012, 10:49 PM
I have no problem with bringing Blackburn back up. He was sent down to work on getting his sinker down in the zone, he had good success in AAA, and now bring him up to see if it translates.

Pius Jefferson
07-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Let the shuffling of chairs commence.

The ships already sunk. This is just people barely alive trying to get on the cap sized lifeboat.

Top Gun
07-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Blacky has to pitch at some point.

glennhl
07-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Seth, you are right, Manship is throwing it very well right now in AAA. It's not very often you see a pitcher get 4 strikeouts in one inning!

Shane Wahl
07-17-2012, 11:37 PM
The rotation should probably be for the next few weeks:

Francisco Liriano
Scott Diamond
P.J. Walters
Nick Blackburn
Jeff Manship/Cole DeVries

Shane Wahl
07-17-2012, 11:39 PM
I want to point out that this Capps nonsense is pretty atrocious. The guy was hurting last year and yet the signed him again and lost picks and yada, yada, yada. That is atrocious general management and clearly atrocious medical work.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
07-18-2012, 12:04 AM
The rotation should probably be for the next few weeks:

Francisco Liriano
Scott Diamond
P.J. Walters
Nick Blackburn
Jeff Manship/Cole DeVries

I think the Manship has already sailed. He couldn't even handle long relief. Why should he get starts? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to bring back that shipwreck. I'm glad Blackburn has been added again and it's the best move for now.

Shane Wahl
07-18-2012, 12:13 AM
I think the Manship has already sailed. He couldn't even handle long relief. Why should he get starts? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to bring back that shipwreck. I'm glad Blackburn has been added again and it's the best move for now.

Manship is now fully starting again at Rochester. I think he is exactly like Swarzak for the most part. Sam Deduno and Cole DeVries (though CD is comparable) are not as good as Manship. That's all.

glunn
07-18-2012, 12:21 AM
I want to point out that this Capps nonsense is pretty atrocious. The guy was hurting last year and yet the signed him again and lost picks and yada, yada, yada. That is atrocious general management and clearly atrocious medical work.

How dare you question the Twins' outstanding medical staff. They took the most scientific approach that they could think of.
(http://youtu.be/GHv1Ab9a6Tw)

Shane Wahl
07-18-2012, 12:35 AM
How dare you question the Twins' outstanding medical staff. They took the most scientific approach that they could think of.
(http://youtu.be/GHv1Ab9a6Tw)

Haha. Some terrible science. The empirical cases against the medical staff seems pretty conclusive!

Mchans24
07-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Decries, Defungal, Blackbum, Man****, Swarzattack, are all the same pitcher, 88-91 and hit your spots. None of them will ever be big league capable starter IMO!!

Shane Wahl
07-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Decries, Defungal, Blackbum, Man****, Swarzattack, are all the same pitcher, 88-91 and hit your spots. None of them will ever be big league capable starter IMO!!

By midseason 2013 (at the earliest), I hope none of them are starting (unless Blackburn returns to pre 2010 form).

DPJ
07-18-2012, 07:50 AM
I wish nothing but bad things apon Nick ****ing Blackburn.

Brock Beauchamp
07-18-2012, 08:12 AM
At this point, I honestly don't care. Nick Blackburn, Cole De Vries, Sam Deduno, it's all the same.

DPJ
07-18-2012, 08:21 AM
At this point, I honestly don't care. Nick Blackburn, Cole De Vries, Sam Deduno, it's all the same.

At this point it should be Liam, why keep trotting out Blackburns worthless ass when you have someone who's MLB and deserves a chance to sink or swim in the majors.

Brock Beauchamp
07-18-2012, 08:28 AM
At this point it should be Liam, why keep trotting out Blackburns worthless ass when you have someone who's MLB and deserves a chance to sink or swim in the majors.

I think it's becoming more obvious that there is something very specific the Twins want Hendriks to work on in the minors. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here... for awhile. But he needs to be up here well before the end of the season, especially if he continues making International League hitters look foolish every fifth day.

DPJ
07-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I think it's becoming more obvious that there is something very specific the Twins want Hendriks to work on in the minors. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here... for awhile. But he needs to be up here well before the end of the season, especially if he continues making International League hitters look foolish every fifth day.

When it comes to the Twins and pitching, the last thing they deserve is the benefit of the doubt.

Brock Beauchamp
07-18-2012, 08:44 AM
When it comes to the Twins and pitching, the last thing they deserve is the benefit of the doubt.

We don't have all the information. Maybe Hendriks simply lacks confidence. Maybe he's tipping pitches. It could be any number of things; we just don't know.

And when I don't know, I tend to defer to those who do.

If Hendriks is still dominating IL hitters on September 1st, then I'll start to doubt the organization. There is still plenty of season left and if he's a better pitcher for sitting in Rochester for a few weeks, so be it.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-18-2012, 08:56 AM
I really don't understand why Blackburn has become public enemy number 1.
When healty the guy has proven to be a decent #5. The best thing that can happen with him is that he can return to form so the Twins don't have to trot in another Marquis, Ortiz or Hernadez to fill in the back end of the rotation next year, and rather they can focus on acquiring a front line starter or two.

notoriousgod71
07-18-2012, 09:00 AM
When healty the guy has proven to be a decent #5. The best thing that can happen with him is that he can return to form so the Twins don't have to trot in another Marquis, Ortiz or Hernadez to fill in the back end of the rotation next year, and rather they can focus on acquiring a front line starter or two.

There's very little difference between Marquis, Ortiz, Hernandez, and Blackburn.

Winston Smith
07-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Great news now we can make a real playoff run. That little pitching problem is fixed.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-18-2012, 09:05 AM
There's very little difference between Marquis, Ortiz, Hernandez, and Blackburn.

The point is we already owe Blackburn the money, so I'd much rather him be the #5 starter then going out and spending another 3-5 million on a Ortiz/Hernandez/Marquis type guy.

If he could give us a 4.50 ERA and 170 IP I'd be thrilled.

IdahoPilgrim
07-18-2012, 09:06 AM
I doubt you'll see Hendriks back up this year. Terry Ryan said yesterday that he had gone to see Hendriks pitch and, while the numbers have looked good, he's still doing the same things that got him in trouble in the majors. There are some mistakes you can get away with in Triple-A that you can't in the big leagues. He apparently knows what he needs to work on, but hasn't gotten it figured out yet.

It sounds like once he gets that stuff figured out, he can be a stable part of the rotation - nothing flashy, but stable.

DPJ
07-18-2012, 09:21 AM
It sounds like once he gets that stuff figured out, he can be a stable part of the rotation - nothing flashy, but stable.

So keep trotting out Blackburn, the AAAA all-stars and random scrap heap signings instead of the somewhat well reguarded prospect who's MLB ready. Hell and I don't even think much of Hendriks, but I'd rather see him take him lumps then some other **** arms that have no future in this organization.

Why the hell would they not call him up and let him take his lumps, this is what dumb franchises do.

Boom Boom
07-18-2012, 09:27 AM
The fact of the matter is that Blackburn is under contract through next year and no one will trade for him. He'll continue to get every chance regardless of how he performs.

cr9617
07-18-2012, 09:34 AM

He's healthy, and he's the worst starter in the Majors. He hasn't been decent for going on 3 years, which may as well be 30 years.

And even if he does have one start where he doesn't get ripped, you know damn well he will get pummeled in the next start. Seriously, who gets hit more viciously than this guy?

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-18-2012, 09:44 AM
He's healthy, and he's the worst starter in the Majors. He hasn't been decent for going on 3 years, which may as well be 30 years.

And even if he does have one start where he doesn't get ripped, you know damn well he will get pummeled in the next start. Seriously, who gets hit more viciously than this guy?
Last year he had a 4.49 ERA, while not earth shattering that isn't that awful for a #5. From 2008-2011 he averaged 177 IP with a 4.45 ERA.

He has obviously been bugged by an injury this year, there is no reason why he can't get back to a 4.50 ERA moving forward.

DPJ
07-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Last year he had a 4.49 ERA, while not earth shattering that isn't that awful for a #5. From 2008-2011 he averaged 177 IP with a 4.45 ERA.

He has obviously been bugged by an injury this year, there is no reason why he can't get back to a 4.50 ERA moving forward.

Even when Blackburn was pitching well he put up some of the most worst peripheral stats I've ever seen. How he pitched to a 4 ERA those first two seasons is a god damn miracle. His walk rate has gone way up for a pitch who lives on contact and his HR rate has doubled.

There's plenty of reason why he can't get back to a 4.50 ERA moving forward.

nokomismod
07-18-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm rooting for Blackburn to figure it out, but the odds are not great. I wish they would stick with Duensing for two more starts though and release Deduno (Didyouknow, DeNoNo, DeUhOh).

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Even when Blackburn was pitching well he put up some of the most worst peripheral stats I've ever seen. How he pitched to a 4 ERA those first two seasons is a god damn miracle. His walk rate has gone way up for a pitch who lives on contact and his HR rate has doubled.

There's plenty of reason why he can't get back to a 4.50 ERA moving forward.
His walk rate definately needs to come down for him to be effective again, agree 100% on that.
Yes he did out pitch his FIP and xFIP in 2008 and 2009, but even then those 4 numbers were between 4.37-4.49. In 2010 his xFIP was 4.46 and last year it was 4.32. Even factoring in this rough year his career xFIP is 4.48. That is why I think if he can come back healthy and lower his walk rate he can give us 170 IP and a 4.50 ERA. If he does that you are looking at a 1.0-1.5 WAR player, which you can live with out of your #5.

It's an extremely SSS but in his 4 starts at AAA he did lower his walk rate and was pretty effective. So there is so hope, run him out there for another 5-6 starts and if he continues to pitch awful then by all means DFA if you have someone better on the roster, at this point the Twins probably don't.

DPJ
07-18-2012, 10:15 AM
It's an extremely SSS but in his 4 starts at AAA he did lower his walk rate and was pretty effective. So there is so hope, run him out there for another 5-6 starts and if he continues to pitch awful then by all means DFA if you have someone better on the roster, at this point the Twins probably don't.

Dig deeper into Blackburns MiLB numbers and you'll see he still didn't strike out anyone, his walk rate wasn't great but better (that will happen when facing AAA players) He ground ball rate wasn't great, the only thing he did better was not give up homers. SSS yes, but the same problems he had in the majors are still happening in the minors. He's just an ungodly hittable pitcher who throws a pitch and crosses his fingers it stays in the park.

At this point Liam is a better pitcher cause he had atleast has a future with this club, Blackburn is only around cause the Twins front office is made up of idiots that though giving an ultra hittable pitcher 14 million was a good idea. Liam should be up taking his lumps good or bad to see if he has a future with this club. Figure out if he can hold down a spot or is it one more hole to fill going into 2013.

mike wants wins
07-18-2012, 10:38 AM
The question should be, will Hendriks be better next year by pitching here, or dominating AAA? I have no idea, but given their track record lately, I don't trust them much to do the right thing right now. Hopefully that changes somehow....

Brock Beauchamp
07-18-2012, 10:40 AM
The question should be, will Hendriks be better next year by pitching here, or dominating AAA? I have no idea, but given their track record lately, I don't trust them much to do the right thing right now. Hopefully that changes somehow....

If it's something specific they want to see fixed, I have no problems with him sitting in Rochester for awhile. If they're trying to overhaul him as a pitcher for some unknown reason, my opinion changes drastically.

cr9617
07-18-2012, 10:51 AM
His walk rate definately needs to come down for him to be effective again, agree 100% on that.
Yes he did out pitch his FIP and xFIP in 2008 and 2009, but even then those 4 numbers were between 4.37-4.49. In 2010 his xFIP was 4.46 and last year it was 4.32. Even factoring in this rough year his career xFIP is 4.48. That is why I think if he can come back healthy and lower his walk rate he can give us 170 IP and a 4.50 ERA. If he does that you are looking at a 1.0-1.5 WAR player, which you can live with out of your #5.

You are trying waaay too hard to defend him. At this point, he's worthless. Actually, he's less than worthless because we are still committed to another year of this garbage.

IdahoPilgrim
07-18-2012, 11:04 AM
So keep trotting out Blackburn, the AAAA all-stars and random scrap heap signings instead of the somewhat well reguarded prospect who's MLB ready.

That's the point - he's not.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-18-2012, 11:08 AM
You are trying waaay too hard to defend him. At this point, he's worthless. Actually, he's less than worthless because we are still committed to another year of this garbage.

I'm pointing out his career stats, I'm not defending him or saying him is some sure thing great pitcher. I am saying it would be best for the Twins if he could come back and post a 4.50 ERA as a #5 pitcher. I'd much rather have that then them go out and waste money on the next Marquis would would put up a similar line. The money is already owed to Blackburn at this point, I'd at least like to see him recoup a little bit of the value. If he puts up a 4.50 ERA next year maybe we could even flip him next year at the deadline for a C level prospect.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-18-2012, 11:10 AM
At this point Liam is a better pitcher cause he had atleast has a future with this club, Blackburn is only around cause the Twins front office is made up of idiots that though giving an ultra hittable pitcher 14 million was a good idea. Liam should be up taking his lumps good or bad to see if he has a future with this club. Figure out if he can hold down a spot or is it one more hole to fill going into 2013.

I agree with this 100%.
However once Liriano is gone, and hell even before that there is plenty of room for both Hendriks AND Blackburn in the rotation. It's not like Blackburn is blocking Liam at all.

August 1st we are looking at this for a rotation:

1. Diamond
2. Walters??
3. Hendriks??
4. DeVries??
5. Blackburn??

If you wanted to make the argument that Swarzak or Duensing should be getting starts over Blackburn I guess you could, but I think both are much better served in the pen.

DPJ
07-18-2012, 11:30 AM
That's the point - he's not.

So unless you come up and pitch well right away as a rookie you're not MLB ready?

He's pitched 100+ very good innings at Rochester, the major league team is rolling out the corpse of Nick Blackburn for the 50th time and crossing there fingers. Why the hell would a team (in a losing season) not commit to it's best pitching prospect for the season. There's nothnig to lose, so commit to the kid and see if he's got a role in 2013 or not.

Yoshii
07-18-2012, 12:00 PM
I agree with this 100%.
However once Liriano is gone, and hell even before that there is plenty of room for both Hendriks AND Blackburn in the rotation. It's not like Blackburn is blocking Liam at all.

1. Diamond
2. Walters??
3. Hendriks??
4. DeVries??
5. Blackburn??

If you wanted to make the argument that Swarzak or Duensing should be getting starts over Blackburn I guess you could, but I think both are much better served in the pen.

What a terrible terrible rotation...sad year for the Twins. All of these guys are soo bad, I don't think WAR wise replacing anyone of them with someone in our AAA or someone in the bullpen that we have already used is going to win us any more games at this point. You can rotate them in and out as much as you like. I say sell them all.

Rick Niedermann
07-18-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm ok with giving Blackburn yet one more chance. But please do not subject us to Jeff Manship ever again. Stay with Deduno over this guy. He can't pitch at the major league level. That has been proven time after time.

USAFChief
07-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I agree with this 100%.

1. Diamond
2. Walters??
3. Hendriks??
4. DeVries??
5. Blackburn??

You can look at that five man rotation and STILL argue for dumping Liriano?

JB_Iowa
07-18-2012, 12:20 PM
It is a lost season anyway.

If Hendriks is part of the long-term solution for this team, I'd prefer him to be working with Cuellar in Rochester especially if he would be getting bombed in the majors.

And I'd really like to see Duensing back in the pen where he seems to be effective. The Twins are on the line for Blackburn's salary anyway -- and I really don't see him as a long-term solution for this team so let him get bombed and frustrated. But the likelihood is that he will figure it out for 2 or 3 starts before he gets really bad again. That seems to be a pattern with him.

notoriousgod71
07-18-2012, 12:31 PM
I agree with this 100%.

1. Diamond
2. Walters??
3. Hendriks??
4. DeVries??
5. Blackburn??

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or cry at this rotation.

snepp
07-18-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or cry at this rotation.

I laughed....until I cried.

Brock Beauchamp
07-18-2012, 01:35 PM

If they don't think they can re-sign him for a reasonable amount, sure. If it's going to take 3/30 to keep Liriano, I think that money is better spent on another FA pitcher.

Blackjack
07-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Hendricks will be back sometime before the season is over. It may be Sept. 1. A big part of pitching is confidence, is it better to keep getting bombed in the majors or dominate in AAA? Let him work out a few kinks, they'll call him up when hes ready.

Blackburn is up because they have very few other options. Hopefully he has HIS confidence back!!!

Badsmerf
07-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Hendricks will be back sometime before the season is over. It may be Sept. 1. A big part of pitching is confidence, is it better to keep getting bombed in the majors or dominate in AAA? Let him work out a few kinks, they'll call him up when hes ready.

Blackburn is up because they have very few other options. Hopefully he has HIS confidence back!!!

That's the point, what does he have to work out? He doesn't have any competition in AAA. Its just stupid the year he's had there. He need to get confidence with the Twins. He needs to learn to pitch against MLB hitters. He needs to be with the Twins. Trotting De Vries, Walters and Deduno out there before him is a joke.

IdahoPilgrim
07-18-2012, 06:27 PM
That's the point, what does he have to work out? He doesn't have any competition in AAA. Its just stupid the year he's had there. He need to get confidence with the Twins. He needs to learn to pitch against MLB hitters. He needs to be with the Twins. Trotting De Vries, Walters and Deduno out there before him is a joke.

In the interview Ryan gave yesterday, it sounded like he does indeed have somehthing to work out - it isn't just about confidence or getting experience with MLB hitters. If they saw something that needs correction, than Rochester is a good place to work on that, get it down pat, then bring it up to the bigs.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-18-2012, 06:35 PM

I'd still prefer they sign him to a 2-3 yeard deal. But at this point you either gotta sign him now or move him for a solid prospect.

Badsmerf
07-18-2012, 06:43 PM
In the interview Ryan gave yesterday, it sounded like he does indeed have somehthing to work out - it isn't just about confidence or getting experience with MLB hitters. If they saw something that needs correction, than Rochester is a good place to work on that, get it down pat, then bring it up to the bigs.

Guess I didn't hear this. Makes more sense this way.

Nick Nelson
07-18-2012, 10:54 PM
I'd still prefer they sign him to a 2-3 yeard deal. But at this point you either gotta sign him now or move him for a solid prospect.
Why not move him for a solid prospect now and sign him during the offseason?

ashburyjohn
07-18-2012, 11:19 PM
This is just people barely alive trying to get on the cap sized lifeboat.

That is either a very large cap or a very small boat.

Mchans24
07-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Liam is being kept in Rochester so he doesn't get ruined by being clobbered in the big leagues!! Let him work another couple starts in AAA and give him another run at it. It worked with Diamond so far. I would rather see Jack Morris start at age 55 than watch another Nick Blackburn start. I have turned the TV off for three years on his turn in the rotation and I LOVE watching the Twins!!! Man I wish MLB had an amnesty clause!!