PDA

View Full Version : Claim Brent Lillibridge.

Fanatic Jack
07-17-2012, 12:10 AM
The heat has been unbearable at Target Field lately and no doubt GM Terry Ryan is feeling it in the front office as he fields phone calls from other teams. However, the kind of heat Ryan is feeling is not weather related, but has to do more with the upcoming trade deadline. There are many decisions that need to be made over the next two weeks about players like Liriano, Span, Carroll, Casilla, and Capps (no value). My hope is with Ryan in charge the Twins will take positive steps to rebuild this organization from the minors on up. Sometimes a team gets lucky with a player out of options who is sent down or released. There is no doubt relief pitcher Jared Burton has been one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dismal year.

It was announced today utility player Brent Lillibridge was designated for assignment by the Boston Red Sox to make room for outfielder Carl Crawford. Lillibridge was one of two players traded to Boston for third baseman Kevin Youkilis. I love how Lillibridge plays the game on both sides of the diamond. He has struggled with the bat over the past few seasons and is only hitting .165/.212/.177 in 59 games this season. Lillibridge is still only 28 and should at least be considered by the Twins brass. The Twins could use the infield depth and in the right situation Lillibridge might be very successful. The Twins have the worst record (37-52) in the American League so they have first shot at claiming Lillibridge.

johnnydakota
07-17-2012, 01:32 AM
just another gardy skirt in the dirt no talent waste of a roster spot player....

glunn
07-17-2012, 01:45 AM
just another gardy skirt in the dirt no talent waste of a roster spot player....

Maybe so, but he had 13 home runs last year in 186 at bats, and had an OPS of .845 (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=452121). Last year was his best year ever, but he does seem to have some talent.

Top Gun
07-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Lillibridge is completely worthless.

a-wan
07-17-2012, 02:52 AM
Definitely can never have too many infielders.

Seth Stohs
07-17-2012, 06:52 AM
I assume he has options left? Otherwise, there just isn't room for him on the big league roster, in my opinion. I guess they could send down Mastroianni and Lillibridge can be that 4th OF and the 6th infielder. I'd say, unless they trade Casilla or Carroll in the next two days, I'd pass.

Fanatic Jack
07-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Seth,

According to numerous articles Brent Lillibridge is out of options and available. I believe he would be a nice pickup and enable the Twins to trade either Casilla or Carrolll.

bteichr
07-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Maybe so, but he had 13 home runs last year in 186 at bats, and had an OPS of .845 (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=452121). Last year was his best year ever, but he does seem to have some talent.

Further examination of his career causes me to think that last year was an aberration. His numbers this year currently support that conclusion. Plus, at 28 it is unlikely that he will get any better. The Twins should stop signing reclamation projects because it does NOTHING to improve this team. They need to concentrate on adding proven major league talent this off-season.

IdahoPilgrim
07-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Don't know what he adds, other than being 10 years younger than Carroll. Wouldn't take him over Casilla.

Maybe wait and see if Boston sends him to Pawtucket or releases him - then we could sign him to a minor league contract, see if he still has the flash he showed last year.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
07-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I assume he has options left? Otherwise, there just isn't room for him on the big league roster, in my opinion. I guess they could send down Mastroianni and Lillibridge can be that 4th OF and the 6th infielder. I'd say, unless they trade Casilla or Carroll in the next two days, I'd pass.

Mastroianni hasn't done anything worthy of being sent down. He's valuable from the bench as a defensive sub, pinch hitter, and pinch runner.

drjim
07-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Brilliant!

mike wants wins
07-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Picking up 28 year old marginal hitters makes no sense. None.

birdwatcher
07-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Exactly what problem does Lillibridge solve?

diehardtwinsfan
07-17-2012, 05:26 PM
why?

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-17-2012, 05:45 PM
If we are going to give playing time to a player with zero value whatsoever we might as well call up Nishioka and let him get his hacks in.