PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens when people try to make prospect lists of every team...

Thrylos
02-22-2012, 09:05 AM
...in the majors, without really having a clue:

La Velle posted the Twins' top 21 prospect list from Scouting Book (http://www.scoutingbook.com/prospects/MIN). I am just linking to it without comment, other than someone, before making such a list, should at least check: a. whether someone in the list is still in the organization and b. whether someone on the list had a set-back or 2 from 2011, when he was ranked high

Enjoy :D

righty8383
02-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Even if Shooter Hunt WAS still with the Twins, he wouldn't be a top 25 prospect.

Cris E
02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
That list is the product of some automated process that's at the mercy of infrequent data updates. Here's a quote from the site:

As a side-effect of our automated processes, the end of the publicly-visible list also collects longshots, recently-retired players, foreign players unlikely to enter MLB, near-busts and other extreme dark-horse candidates. It does not mean that there are not 'better' prospects, only that better prospects in our system lack enough accurate data and/or scouting inputs to become visible at this time.

A disclaimer like that tells me not to waste a lot of time at that site; after all, the developers couldn't be bothered to. Either fix the formula, refresh the player info more often or shorten the lists to where they start becoming accurate. But lobbing a "yeah, it might not be real good" on there is not much different from letting weak content stand. By the way, it not just freshness that's an issue here: Alex Wimmers was "seemed a little wild at high-A Fort Myers last year".

Seth Stohs
02-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Bates, Hoey, this is a strange list!!

Shane Wahl
02-22-2012, 01:00 PM
...in the majors, without really having a clue:

La Velle posted the Twins' top 21 prospect list from Scouting Book (http://www.scoutingbook.com/prospects/MIN). I am just linking to it without comment, other than someone, before making such a list, should at least check: a. whether someone in the list is still in the organization and b. whether someone on the list had a set-back or 2 from 2011, when he was ranked high

Enjoy :D

Good lord that is ridiculous!! How are there such mistakes? I mean just a modicum of research would point to what 6 or so of those guys being nowhere near the Twins prospect list.

Thrylos
02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Bates, Hoey, this is a strange list!!

He also lists Shooter Hunt ;)

Han Joelo
03-03-2012, 07:55 AM
This might be a dead thread, but apparently the site has updated itself. No Hunt or Hoey. But there is a youngster named Felix Jorge, who I've never heard of. Any insight?

Josh Johnson
03-03-2012, 08:33 AM
The Twins signed Felix Jorge a year ago as a 17-year-old from the D.R. (for around $250,000). He pitched all of last season with the DSL Twins and went 2-1 with a 2.67 ERA in nine games (five starts). He also had a solid 26 strikeouts in his 27 innings of work. He throws in the low-90s but is said to have a good "feel" for his secondary pitches and many think he'll add velocity as he gets older. A solid sleeper pick, but I certainly would be hesitant to put him on any top 20 lists just yet... but then again, we all view prospects differently.

Seth Stohs
03-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I didn't have an issue with Felix Jorge being on the list... Like Josh said though, I wouldn't have him in a Twins Top 50... yet. He is in my Top 5 DSL Twins prospects in the Twins Prospect Handbook this year.