PDA

View Full Version : Glen Perkins interview on Fangraphs

snepp
07-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Pretty interesting.

Q&A: Glen Perkins, Stud Reliever & Stat Geek (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/qa-glen-perkins-stud-reliever-stat-geek/)

Here's a follow-up audio interview on Fangraphs where Perkins answers the fan questions.

FanGraphs Audio: Glen Perkins Answers Reader Qs (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/fangraphs-audio-glen-perkins-answers-reader-qs/)

Brock Beauchamp
07-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Huh. Really interesting article and it's hard to argue with anything Glen is saying about advanced metrics. I'm impressed, particularly about his opinion on relievers and WAR.

Also, I really enjoyed that he thinks Pitch/fx is a better indicator than video, which I've long thought should be a staple of any pitcher's offday research.

Shores, Esq
07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
If the front office knew how to use the internet, Perkins would be on the first flight back to Rochester after reading this nonsense.

Mauerzy4Prez
07-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Glen is a very bright guy with a great head on his shoulders. I am not surprised by his ability to digest this type of information and use it to his advantage. My older brother played with Glen from 8th grade through High School in a winter Dome league at the old Rice street dome, and even back then you could tell he was going to go far in baseball.

diehardtwinsfan
07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
he's the next to get the Kevin Slowey treatment.

Kobs
07-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Glen is a very bright guy with a great head on his shoulders. I am not surprised by his ability to digest this type of information and use it to his advantage. My older brother played with Glen from 8th grade through High School in a winter Dome league at the old Rice street dome, and even back then you could tell he was going to go far in baseball.

Yeah, I'm sure that was real tough to spot.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-10-2012, 09:29 PM
he's the next to get the Kevin Slowey treatment.

Wait didn't Slowey get the Glen Perkins treatment?
The difference of course being Perkins nutted up and became a very nice asset to the team in the pen, while Slowey sulked, got traded, and showed the Twins there massive mistake by immediately getting let go by the Rockies and sent to AAA by the Indians were he has posted a robust 5.14 ERA!

Stupid Twins!

drjim
07-10-2012, 09:48 PM
I always find it amusing when people get their undies in a bunch after a player mentions an advanced stat. And to top it off, it is then used as an excuse to bludgeon the Twins front office some more.

minn55441
07-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Wait didn't Slowey get the Glen Perkins treatment?
The difference of course being Perkins nutted up and became a very nice asset to the team in the pen, while Slowey sulked, got traded, and showed the Twins there massive mistake by immediately getting let go by the Rockies and sent to AAA by the Indians were he has posted a robust 5.14 ERA!

Stupid Twins!

Yeah but I think he did go mountain climbing with RA Dickey.

Badsmerf
07-10-2012, 10:07 PM
If the front office knew how to use the internet, Perkins would be on the first flight back to Rochester after reading this nonsense.

Front office guy #1: "What is Perk talking about?"

Front office guy #2: "Its on the internet, I bet its about computers or game boy."

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-10-2012, 10:13 PM
I always find it amusing when people get their undies in a bunch after a player mentions an advanced stat. And to top it off, it is then used as an excuse to bludgeon the Twins front office some more.

Yeah the whole "Derp the Twins are in the stone age when it comes to statistical analysis Derp is not only incorrect but getting very old quickly "

Highabove
07-11-2012, 12:48 AM
Bill Smith promised the Staff that the Web TV will be fixed by next Tuesday.

glunn
07-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Interesting article. Perkins seems to spend a lot of time on the internet. I wonder if he ever reads Twins Daily.

Badsmerf
07-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Bill Smith promised the Staff that the Web TV will be fixed by next Tuesday.

He never understood why the guys liked cobwebs so much.

Badsmerf
07-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Interesting article. Perkins seems to spend a lot of time on the internet. I wonder if he ever reads Twins Daily.

You'd be surprised at how many players read forums. I'd be willing to bet he knows of Twins Daily, and might be an occasional lurker.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-11-2012, 08:52 AM
You'd be surprised at how many players read forums. I'd be willing to bet he knows of Twins Daily, and might be an occasional lurker.

He definately read BYTO

drjim
07-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Its funny to read some of the comments here again after reading Ryan's fangraphs interview and to learn what he truly thinks about statistical analysis.

snepp
07-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Here's a follow-up audio interview on Fangraphs where Perkins answers the fan questions.

FanGraphs Audio: Glen Perkins Answers Reader Qs (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/fangraphs-audio-glen-perkins-answers-reader-qs/)

Badsmerf
07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Its funny to read some of the comments here again after reading Ryan's fangraphs interview and to learn what he truly thinks about statistical analysis.

I don't really care either way. I just think its funny to act like they don't know anything.

twinswon1991
07-13-2012, 06:23 AM
The audio interview is pretty damning regarding the Twins lack of statistical analysis. Glen basically admitted they were behind the times in not even having a SABR guy on staff until late 2011. It is usually really bad when a player is willing to admit that. Also stated something like they only have the one guy and maybe another guy who knows advanced stats, Yikes. Other MLB teams have had "Stats/SABR" guys on staff for 10 years and the Twins are finally joining the party? I bet the Rays have 10 Stats guys on hand.

I really like Perkins' game and honesty in these interviews. His answers give me little hope in Terry and his Good Old Boys and further proves that a complete overhaul of the FO and scouting department is needed.

Badsmerf
07-13-2012, 04:51 PM
The audio interview is pretty damning regarding the Twins lack of statistical analysis. Glen basically admitted they were behind the times in not even having a SABR guy on staff until late 2011. It is usually really bad when a player is willing to admit that. Also stated something like they only have the one guy and maybe another guy who knows advanced stats, Yikes. Other MLB teams have had "Stats/SABR" guys on staff for 10 years and the Twins are finally joining the party? I bet the Rays have 10 Stats guys on hand.

I really like Perkins' game and honesty in these interviews. His answers give me little hope in Terry and his Good Old Boys and further proves that a complete overhaul of the FO and scouting department is needed.
I have a hard time believing Perk knows the daily scoop on what JR does. He plays baseball, and travels all over doing it, it would be improbable that Perk is that plugged in. That said, I'm not a big fan of JR, I've said it before. I want new blood in charge and changes made up and down the organization. This years draft has me curious to see where it goes. P.S. for as much **** as Billy Smith got, his big time minor league players are going to give the Twins their next best shot at a world series...

Brock Beauchamp
07-13-2012, 04:55 PM
P.S. for as much **** as Billy Smith got, his big time minor league players are going to give the Twins their next best shot at a world series...

I have very few problems with how Smith ran this organization... except the Minnesota Twins themselves. When it came to the major league franchise, it was disaster after disaster (excepting 2010, when he amazingly made very few bad moves, the one massive exception being Ramos/Capps).

The minors and drafting? He actually did a pretty good job with those. Much better than JR had in recent years.