PDA

View Full Version : Liriano's value

diehardtwinsfan
07-09-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm just curious what everyone thinks he will fetch at the deadline. In my pipe dream scenario, we swap him for Michael Pineda, but I'm guessing NY wouldn't go for that.

Nick Nelson
07-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Probably a couple B prospects. No one's going to give up a premier asset for two months of a guy as unpredictable as him.

powrwrap
07-09-2012, 06:29 PM
I figure he fetches two players, one of them will be a pitcher. Probably some other team's version of Cole DeVries or P.J. Walter. Given the Twins fascination with utility infielders they probably get another SS/2B guy from A ball.

Shane Wahl
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
I figure he fetches two players, one of them will be a pitcher. Probably some other team's version of Cole DeVries or P.J. Walter. Given the Twins fascination with utility infielders they probably get another SS/2B guy from A ball.

Hopefully yes, on the two players part, and no on the AAAA pitchers. AA starting pitcher and AA middle infielder. Both of them HEALTHY and in the 12-20 prospect range for whatever team.

powrwrap
07-09-2012, 07:34 PM
AA starting pitcher and AA middle infielder. Both of them HEALTHY and in the 12-20 prospect range for whatever team.

I sure hope so, but I think one of the players will be in A ball.

ashburyjohn
07-09-2012, 07:45 PM
AA starting pitcher and AA middle infielder. Both of them HEALTHY and in the 12-20 prospect range for whatever team.

Turn the question around. It's not easy to find a close comp for Liriano, but would you give up, say, B.J. Hermsen and Aaron Hicks (New Britain doesn't have a really promising middle infielder) to get, say, Luke Hochevar?

If instead you would try to offer Florimon and Albers to get a Hochevar-type, I'm afraid that's the caliber we'd see for Liriano.

I hope I'm wrong and Terry Ryan can work some magic on the phones, but I can't see a team offering two good prospects for Liriano.

gunnarthor
07-09-2012, 07:49 PM
I hope I'm wrong and Terry Ryan can work some magic on the phones, but I can't see a team offering two good prospects for Liriano.

Maybe Ryan will focus in on some low A or rookie league players that have potential high upside. Sorta like how he had Liriano originally thrown into the AJ trade.

drjim
07-09-2012, 08:36 PM
I still think people are underestimating his value a little bit. I wouldn't trade Hicks (but he is also a top 3-4 prospect for the Twins) but I would definitely trade Hermsen for Liriano and would add more.

Twins will get some combination of:
-4-5 type starter who is either in AAA or just getting started in the majors (think Phelps of Yankees)
-AA pitcher that is solid but not elite and has some warts (think Hermsen)
-AA guy who projects to be a big leaguer but not necessarily a star (Chris Hermann)
-A high upside lottery ticket guy in A ball (Soliman or Daniel Ortiz type)

I would think Liriano will get at least 2 of these. The debate teams are having is whether he is worth the risk to give up a good prospect, as in a projected regular (Hicks type).

drjim
07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Maybe Ryan will focus in on some low A or rookie league players that have potential high upside. Sorta like how he had Liriano originally thrown into the AJ trade.

I think this could be right, depends on what teams are ultimately offered.

The AJ trade was interesting to read about after the fact. Giants had offered Nathan/Bonser but the Cubs came in with a slightly better package so the Twins came back asking for another C prospect and came up with Liriano. There is a really good story on all the behind the scenes of this trade but I can't find it right now.

Mchans24
07-09-2012, 09:17 PM
I think a 6-10 type prospect and a 15-20 type prospect are realistic hopes. Liriano as a 3 or 4 starter looks pretty damn good down the stretch.

diehardtwinsfan
07-10-2012, 07:29 AM
I think this could be right, depends on what teams are ultimately offered.

The AJ trade was interesting to read about after the fact. Giants had offered Nathan/Bonser but the Cubs came in with a slightly better package so the Twins came back asking for another C prospect and came up with Liriano. There is a really good story on all the behind the scenes of this trade but I can't find it right now.

I remember that too, and most analysts at the time thought the Cubs offer was better... and if memory serves me right, none of them ever panned out.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Per Rosenthal:

GAMBLING ON LIRIANO
Twins (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/minnesota-twins/71595?q=minnesota-twins) left-hander Francisco Liriano (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/francisco-liriano/288299?q=francisco-liriano) is 3-2 with a 2.74 ERA in eight starts since returning to the team’s rotation, but most clubs still are wary of trading for him.

Liriano, even during this period of relative prosperity, is averaging 4.4 walks per nine innings. The Braves have been linked to him, but why would they want a potential free agent, who is no more trustworthy than their young starters?
Better the Braves should trade for Greinke — or better still, Rays (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/team/tampa-bay-rays/71616?q=tampa-bay-rays) right-hander James Shields (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/james-shields/408585?q=james-shields), who is earning $7 million this season, with club options of $9 million next season and $12 million in 2014.
Some clubs like Liriano better as a reliever. And it’s doubtful that any will part with significant prospects when under the new collective bargaining agreement, there is no possibility of draft-pick compensation if he leaves as a free agent.
The Twins, by the way, will listen not just on Liriano. Closer Matt Capps (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/matt-capps/352821?q=matt-capps), recovering from right shoulder inflammation, also will be available once he comes off the disabled list, sources say