PDA

View Full Version : Halfway

stringer bell
07-04-2012, 02:11 PM
After tonight's game, the Twins will have played exactly half of their games. Projecting numbers for a full season is easy, just double what they have after tonight's game. At the start of the season, I thought this year's Twins would compare favorably with last year's edition. I thought they would 1) score more runs 2) play better defense and be more fundamentally sound 3) and get an improved performance from the bullpen. All of this has panned out, however they are still on track for more than 90 losses. The culpirt is the starting rotation, which has suffered injury and ineffectiveness from all of the projected starters and a couple of the prospective replacements.

At the halfway point of the season there are several questions to be answered in no particular order: 1) Who will be traded at the trade deadline (just four weeks away) if the Twins are sellers (they should be)? 2) What will pan out of the middle infield--can Dozier make the grade, is Casilla a viable option going forward, do the noncontending Twins need to keep the powerless but competent Jamey Carroll around? 3) Will the power surges of RH hitters Plouffe and Willingham continue? 4) Can Justin Morneau stay healthy AND find his swing? 5) Is Joe Mauer back to what he was? 6) Is the current cast of characters in the bullpen enough to be a contender? 7) Who, if anyone, will emerge from the carnage of the 2012 Twins' rotation to be counted on in 2013?

If the Twins get the right answers, they could contend as soon as 2013. I don't see it this year--just not enough starting pitching--but with a canny trade, a good free agent signing and the emergence of a guy or two, things could get interesting for the Twins in 2013 and beyond.

SwainZag
07-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Well I don't think it's fair to just double the record and say this is what they are on pace for. The first 40 games were certainly a lot worse than the 2nd 40 games. I would be surprised if this team loses 90 games.

Highabove
07-04-2012, 02:20 PM
The Twins will have more then enough money to acquire a couple of mid tier pitchers, or a top Free Agent.
It's a given that Scott Diamond will be on the staff.

stringer bell
07-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Well I don't think it's fair to just double the record and say this is what they are on pace for. The first 40 games were certainly a lot worse than the 2nd 40 games. I would be surprised if this team loses 90 games.In talking about doubling numbers, I was mostly looking at individual stats like J-Will's power numbers and those of Plouffe. Actually, I do think the Twins are a good bet to lose 90 games. They probably will sell at the deadline and losing one or two of Span, Capps, Carroll, Morneau and Liriano will hurt the 2012 season. Also, I think that the law of averages says that one or more of the starting position players will get hurt and this team has little depth at several positions.