PDA

View Full Version : What kind of trade value does Plouffe have at this time?

minn55441
07-01-2012, 09:53 PM
I think we will be sellers at the trade deadline. With that said, who can we afford to part with that other teams actually want. As has been discussed, it is a pretty short list. I don't think we should give up pitching, when the reason we are sellers in the first place is to accumulate quality arms. In my mind that takes Perkins, Burton out of the discussion. If we have learned anything over the last few years, it is sell high, which we didn't do with Delmon and Hardy. Even a month ago, Trevor was not in our long range plans. He has been a surprise to just about everyone, the streak he has been on during the last month has been all too real. Has he created any trade value?

What kind of offer could we get for Plouffe right now? What if he hits 2 or 3 more dingers by the break? I haven't liked the thought of trading away Span, Willingham, Doumit or any of the other position players that should help lead us to a competitive club again, but Plouffe is another story. Do you believe that Plouffe will continue this level of play for the rest of the season and years to come? More importantly do any GM's think that he would help them in the playoffs?

It would be interesting to hear some of the phone calls Terry Ryan gets over the next month. I'm sure there has been some feelers for Plouffe, I just wonder how serious some of the offers have been and if they will increase in value as the number of bombs he hits.

glanzer
07-01-2012, 10:46 PM
With Plouffe earning the league minimum, I would think he'd be the type of player the Twins would want to hang onto at this point. Obviously Terry Ryan just said no one is untouchable, but the Twins would have to get quite a big return to pull the trigger. Like you said, I don't think a lot of GMs are going to look at one big hot power streak and ignore his long minor league track record and make that big-time offer. Also I'm guessing the Twins don't really want to be forced into putting Danny Valencia back at third with his mediocre AAA numbers if Plouffe were traded.

Badsmerf
07-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Plouffe hasn't built up enough equity to bring in much at all. How do you know the past month hasn't been a mirage? Players do it all the time, get hot and hit a crazy amount of HR's then return to career norms. I don't think Plouffe is going to OPS in the low 700 range ever again, but that's not to say its impossible. A GM would be out of his mind to offer a deal the Twins would like for Plouffe. If the last month is the player Plouffe might become, I don't think they would want to trade him with so many cost controlled years in front of them.

ancestral
07-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I don’t think Plouffe is going anywhere, at least not this season. The priority for the Twins is to unload expensive players, contracts they would not consider picking up next year that they can get a return on by trading them. Plouffe is making $485k. Also, teams who are buyers trade for veteran talent. They want to add players who have either been in the playoffs before, or have years upon years of service to rely on when it comes to reaching the postseason. Plouffe has neither.

Edit: Here’s a list of salaries for the Twins, according to ESPN: http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries/_/name/min/minnesota-twins

glunn
07-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Because Plouffe's success is so recent, I would think that other teams would be wary. And it would be sad to see him go if he ends up hitting 30+ home runs per year for some other team. From the Twins perspective, Valencia seems like better trade bait.

kab21
07-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Plouffe shouldn't be on the block. If a team was giving up some great prospects then sure trade him but the Twins might have found someone that can reasonably well hold down 3B for several years. Those are the players the Twins should be looking for and not trading away.

Crotalo
07-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Plouffe is at league minimum and performing well in the bigs. Why would the Twins want to trade him for a more unknown quantity? That's why deadline players dealt are generally highly paid and FA to be.

The Greatest Poster Alive
07-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Isn't plouffe well under team control? I dont' believe he has much service time.

ancestral
07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Because Plouffe's success is so recent, I would think that other teams would be wary. And it would be sad to see him go if he ends up hitting 30+ home runs per year for some other team. From the Twins perspective, Valencia seems like better trade bait.
Not sure why anyone would want Valencia unless the Twins needed to sweeten a deal and throw in a player.

Again, buyers want veteran players. As sellers, we’re going to be the ones to take the Valencias other teams throw in with a prospect.

snepp
07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Isn't plouffe well under team control? I dont' believe he has much service time.

He started the year with a little less than one year of service time. Assuming he never gets sent back down again, he'll have 5 more years of team control after this one.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-01-2012, 11:13 PM

Less than a year coming into 2012. Figures to be a Super 2 after 2013. Free Agent in 2018.

contracts (http://www.mancenter.com/articles/viewarticle.aspx?artID=32)