PDA

View Full Version : Mauer named to the All-Star team

Scheherezade
07-01-2012, 12:49 PM
According to FSN a couple minutes ago.

Brock Beauchamp
07-01-2012, 12:51 PM
An obvious choice. Is anyone even a little surprised by this?

Hopefully, Willingham will get in as well. He deserves it.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-01-2012, 01:07 PM
An obvious choice. Is anyone even a little surprised by this?

Hopefully, Willingham will get in as well. He deserves it.

He didn't make it, and isn't on the final vote.
The OF/DH that made it over him were Butler, Trout, Trumbo and Adam Jones. Hard to really argue with any of those to be honest. And I think Jones might have been the O's sole rep?

Brock Beauchamp
07-01-2012, 01:10 PM
He didn't make it, and isn't on the final vote.
The OF/DH that made it over him were Butler, Trout, Trumbo and Adam Jones. Hard to really argue with any of those to be honest. And I think Jones might have been the O's sole rep?

Ah, he's not on the final vote? Bummer. Not that I really care, I'd just like to see Josh get a little credit for his outstanding play thus far.

jokin
07-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Ah, he's not on the final vote? Bummer. Not that I really care, I'd just like to see Josh get a little credit for his outstanding play thus far.

Agreed in full. For all the heat that Terry Ryan takes, this was a perfect FA-leaving/FA-replacement scenario. Well-played, TR.

SpiritofVodkaDave
07-01-2012, 01:24 PM

All the final vote people this year for the AL are pitchers. Darvish is on the list, which means he will win by a landslide.

Brock Beauchamp
07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
All the final vote people this year for the AL are pitchers. Darvish is on the list, which means he will win by a landslide.

Yeah, I just saw that a few minutes ago. Kinda weird that only pitchers are on the final ballot.

darin617
07-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Agreed in full. For all the heat that Terry Ryan takes, this was a perfect FA-leaving/FA-replacement scenario. Well-played, TR.

What a joke! He played 35 games at catcher and only has a good BA with no power. A.J. Pierzynski should have been named ahead of Mauer.

greengoblinrulz
07-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Agree that AJ deserves it over Joe & Willingham deserves it over Adam Dunn, who is actually listed as backup DH (anyone can do that).
Mauers comments about the selection show how out of touch he is as he talked about Twins who should have been considered & mentioned Denard Span...WTF!!!

Seth Stohs
07-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Mauer is a given based on 1.) career and 2.) 2012 stats. Easy choice. Wish there was a way to get Willingham on the roster!

notoriousgod71
07-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Agree that AJ deserves it over Joe & Willingham deserves it over Adam Dunn, who is actually listed as backup DH (anyone can do that).
Mauers comments about the selection show how out of touch he is as he talked about Twins who should have been considered & mentioned Denard Span...WTF!!!

Agreed.

jm3319
07-01-2012, 03:30 PM
What a joke! He played 35 games at catcher and only has a good BA with no power. A.J. Pierzynski should have been named ahead of Mauer.

Got a pretty good laugh out of this one. AJ beats Mauer in HR, RBI, and Slugging. Mauer beats him in every other stat including runs, hits, doubles, stolen bases, walks, average, OBP (first in the league by the way), and OPS. Good try though, glad you don't decide the remaining roster spots.

gunnarthor
07-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Got a pretty good laugh out of this one. AJ beats Mauer in HR, RBI, and Slugging. Mauer beats him in every other stat including runs, hits, doubles, stolen bases, walks, average, OBP (first in the league by the way), and OPS. Good try though, glad you don't decide the remaining roster spots. Yeah, Joe's 141 OPS+ should quite the 'no power' camp (although it won't). I think AJ's durability at catcher has been amazing and would've liked to see him on the team over Napoli but Mauer and Weiters are more deserving.

IdahoPilgrim
07-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Span has had a solid year defensively, and until recently was doing well at the plate. I would have considered him a possible candidate too, if he hadn't had a slump the past couple of weeks.

darin617
07-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Got a pretty good laugh out of this one. AJ beats Mauer in HR, RBI, and Slugging. Mauer beats him in every other stat including runs, hits, doubles, stolen bases, walks, average, OBP (first in the league by the way), and OPS. Good try though, glad you don't decide the remaining roster spots.

You forgot one more thing Mauer leads AJ in, and he leads him by a HUGE number. That would be of course trips to the DL. 1 trip for AJ in his entire career and I would have to say Mauer has to be close to 10 trips to the DL.
Yes, Mauer is the greatest #3 hitter in MLB history and don't forget it.

Brock Beauchamp
07-01-2012, 04:45 PM

You know what's more valuable than power?

Getting on base.

You know what Joe Mauer is really good at?

Getting on base.

PS. Joe Mauer also hits for a decent amount of power, as evidenced by his 141 OPS+, which is considerably higher than AJ's 125.

But I'm sure if Joe got to play half his games in the little league park called US Cellular Field, you'd be his number one fan.

Brock Beauchamp
07-01-2012, 04:48 PM
You forgot one more thing Mauer leads AJ in, and he leads him by a HUGE number. That would be of course trips to the DL. 1 trip for AJ in his entire career and I would have to say Mauer has to be close to 10 trips to the DL.

Whereas AJ has a commanding lead over Mauer in the "Arm Most Resembling a 12 Year Old Girl" category.

CDog
07-01-2012, 05:22 PM

What a jerk saying something nice about a teammate!!! What a lousy clubhouse guy. Or....something.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
07-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Here's a link to the announcement video. Josh has the biggest grin imaginable at :48 before Gardy calls Mauer and Mauer's name only. He worked his tail off and I wish the guy would have gotten his first appearance.
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=22758781&c_id=min&partnerId=aw-7652144290573016577-1803

Badsmerf
07-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Mauer clearly deserves it. He should be starting and A.J. should be the back-up. The All-Star game is what it is.