PDA

View Full Version : Willingham vs. Mauer

stringer bell
06-30-2012, 10:54 PM
The Twins deserve only one representative to the All-Star game. They are in last place in the weakest division in the AL and have been there basically since the beginning of the season. There has been conversation about who the Twins rep should be in the All-Star game.

The consensus for the past couple of weeks is that Josh Willingham deserves the honor. He has driven in the most runs, he has been close to the team lead in HRs and has had several big hits late in games. Mauer hasn't caught much (34 starts) and hit only his fourth homer today. However, Joe is a three-time batting champ who plays a premium position. Mauer's hitting numbers have slowly moved north to where he now has the top OPS among players considered catchers in the American League. Willingham is fifth in OPS among outfielders but isn't among the leaders in the traditional stats of BA and HRs.

I have thought for awhile that there should be no contest that Willingham should be the Twins representative. However, Mauer's line, his position and his standing with the voters may give him the edge. I won't be disappointed if Mauer is selected, but Willingham is also a valid choice. That is probably two more than existed last year.

Ultima Ratio
06-30-2012, 11:32 PM
The fact that several Twins players are having All-star quality seasons so far shines a huge sun-bolt of light on how devastatingly bad other players have been in order to justify our still currently super record.

glunn
07-01-2012, 12:40 AM
i think that this is a close call. Mauer has a much higher batting average and is a better defender. But Willingham has many more home runs and RBIs.

I would prefer to see Willingham go, because Mauer has been before. Also, I would like Mauer to have an incentive to work hard to make NEXT year's all star team.

Snortwood
07-01-2012, 01:05 AM
All-Star game appearances are nice - especially for players who have never been there. Mauer is a catcher. Better for him he should have the 4 days off. Let Willingham go. Or if Plouffe goes off again let him go. Let Joe rest. Even if he's leading the league in .avg by then, which he might. Give the appearance slot to Josh.

kab21
07-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Imo it will be Mauer because the all-star game is popularity contest and there are too many OF'ers to pick from. After the fans vote in Napoli then the players will vote and AJ's hated by pretty much everyone. So I think they'll pick Mauer over Wieters. It's even possible that they'll take 3 catchers. In the OF Trout, Hamilton, Bautista and Jones are locks. willingham is left competing with Reddick, Jackson, Trumbo, Granderson, Rasmus and a few others.

Top Gun
07-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Mr. Mauer is the best. it is his right to go.

Curt
07-01-2012, 09:35 AM
It depends on how many outfielders they take. Both Trumbo, Trout and, possibly, Austin Jackson deserve to be selected over Willingham. No one deserves to be selected over Mauer at catcher.