PDA

View Full Version : Crasnick: Twins close to multi-year contract with Doumit

Parker Hageman
06-29-2012, 02:55 PM
ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/218793636966580224)reports that the Twins and Ryan Doumit are close to a multi-year deal. 1500ESPN.com's Darren Wolfson (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Twins_Ryan_Doumit_close_to_agreement_on_2year_cont ract_extension062912) says that the deal will be for two additional seasons.

UPDATE: Wolfson says it's a two year, $7 million deal.

What do you think of this decision?

Pius Jefferson
06-29-2012, 02:58 PM
What would he be worth on the trade market?

Highabove
06-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Ryan probably feels that Doumit will give the Team flexibly on how they use Mauer.

Brock Beauchamp
06-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Absolutely. This is the way it should be done. Either get him locked up now or ship him off somewhere at the deadline. Well played, JR.

greengoblinrulz
06-29-2012, 03:16 PM
you cant trade everyone.....Doumit fits an absolute need. Of course, we still need to keep a backup C to keep Gardys nerves settled.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-29-2012, 03:17 PM
From the moment he signed, I thought he was a great stop-gap combo player with Mauer, in that he had a good switch-hitting bat and could play 1B or RF also. I was really hoping he'd be able to offer more in terms of defensive versatility, but for $3m he's been a bargain.

It will be interesting to see how long of an extention he signs, given that I thought Chris Herrmann, part-time C/part-time OF, would be a perfect compliment to the $23m/year man.

I'll hold off forming an opinion til we know the figures.

Boom Boom
06-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Doumit's a decent hitter, but I've not been impressed with his catching ability.

And he's not that great of a hitter that I'd like him as a regular DH, either.

As a backup he's fine. I'd have to see the details before getting worked up over this.

Badsmerf
06-29-2012, 03:21 PM
This would be a good move for the Twins. I like having a back-up catcher that can actually hit.

twinswon1991
06-29-2012, 03:26 PM
If a weak hitting catcher that cant stay healthy or behind the plate for that matter is worth 23 mil per year what is Doumit worth? I'd say a 4 year deal at 50 mil per is about right.

I hope this is a precursor to a Mauer salary dump trade or is his deal so bad you couldn't give him away?

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-29-2012, 03:34 PM
If a weak hitting catcher that cant stay healthy or behind the plate for that matter is worth 23 mil per year what is Doumit worth? I'd say a 4 year deal at 50 mil per is about right.

I hope this is a precursor to a Mauer salary dump trade or is his deal so bad you couldn't give him away?

Dankind? Is that you?

mnfireman
06-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Mauer may not be "worth" $23 M per but who really is? It was what the market would have dictated had he been allowed to test the FA waters. And with 2009 being the exception, he is right around his career slash numbers. He has been fairly healthy this season and productive. Signing Doumit is a good idea in my view, he is putting up almost exactly his career splits and he's not so horrible that 1 or 2 days behind the plate hurt the team. Now if this was about Butera.....

Seth Stohs
06-29-2012, 03:53 PM
I like Doumit and because of their flexibility it still shouldn't affect Chris Herrmann. Mauer can catch, DH and play 1B. Herrmann can catch and play LF and RF well. Doumit can catch and DH.

Badsmerf
06-29-2012, 04:02 PM
I like Doumit and because of their flexibility it still shouldn't affect Chris Herrmann. Mauer can catch, DH and play 1B. Herrmann can catch and play LF and RF well. Doumit can catch and DH.

Who? On the ESPN roster I see no Chris Herrmann... Just kidding. I don't think you should be worried about Chris Herrmann demanding playing time in Minnesota.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Who? On the ESPN roster I see no Chris Herrmann... Just kidding. I don't think you should be worried about Chris Herrmann demanding playing time in Minnesota.

Yeah, if he makes it up in 2013 its a good problem to have.

Plus if Span is traded suddenly the RF position opens again which Doumit could help fill. Ideally you have a guy like Arcia/Hicks or Benson step up next season....but in the case of Benson and Hicks things don't look very positive for them to be impact players in 2013, Arcia is the wild card I imagine, and if that is the case you simply play Doumit as DH. (Assuming Herrmann is the back up catcher-unlikely)

wavedog
06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
If its about for the same amount of money per year and for 2 years that would be ok. I like him fine as off the bench and as a spot fill-in hitter. He is certainly worth as much as Nishioka. Haha!

Seth Stohs
06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
I agree that Herrmann isn't forcing himself onto the roster... and even if he was playing better this year, I just showed that it can still work... As pointed out above, there would still need to be a third catcher, and these three all provide some flexibility.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Well with three catchers on the roster in 2013 or 2014, there has to be NO WAY Butera makes the roster...right?!

wavedog
06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Looks like we signed him => 2 years and $7M - not bad.

Seth Stohs
06-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Very reasonable contract... makes it really difficult to find any fault in it.

snepp
06-29-2012, 04:16 PM
On the subject of backup catchers, has anyone noticed that The Greatest Defensive Catcher of All-Time will be super-2 eligible this offseason?

I know I'm looking forward to the Twins paying a guy that can't OPS .500 a million dollars next season.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-29-2012, 04:16 PM
For $3.5m/year, I'll take it. Best Twins news since Monday.

Rosterman
06-29-2012, 04:19 PM
As a stopgap when Mauer plays first and you need someone other than Butera behind-the-plate, yes. Assuming Morneau stays around for another year, then it looks like the beginning of this season all over again...with Parmelee in the mix you have four rotating in four spaces. A couple of years is fine. He would not be a fulltime catcher/1B/RF anywhere. And, folks, Hermann still has to make the 40-man and then still has four seasons before needing to be in the bigs fulltime. Who knows, maybe next year he will be the bench/third catcher guy.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-29-2012, 04:23 PM
On the subject of backup catchers, has anyone noticed that The Greatest Defensive Catcher of All-Time will be super-2 eligible this offseason?

I know I'm looking forward to the Twins paying a guy that can't OPS .500 a million dollars next season.
LOL (word limit)

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-29-2012, 04:24 PM
For $3.5m/year, I'll take it. Best Twins news since Monday.

Very good signing, immediately adds depth at an important position and a solid bat for the next two years. The Twins couldn't do any better on the upcoming FA market IMO.
Now hopefully he can just stay healthy (knocks on wood)

greengoblinrulz
06-29-2012, 04:49 PM

He's next to get a multi yr deal to buy out his arbitration.....or woulda been if Bill Smith was still here.

Thrylos
06-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Good deal. Now if they find a way to get rid of Butera...

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-29-2012, 05:11 PM

That certainly one-ups the news coming from the original post. Any ideas to what Pavano does without his partner in crime?

TKGuy
06-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Great deal, $3.5 million barely buys you any competent player who could be a free agent. It gives us lots of flexibility and doesn't harm our ability to get a competent SP or two.

chavez
06-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Maybe TR has something in the works to ship Morneau and this will help facilitate trading him and moving Maur to 1st base.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Signing Doumit to a 2 year deal is just like making a trade!

iastfan112
06-29-2012, 05:45 PM
For that price I like it. He's had problems staying healthy, but 3.5 million hardly breaks the bank if he goes down with injury.

John Bonnes
06-29-2012, 05:51 PM
If it's really 2/$7M, I absolutely LOVE this deal. Doumit is the perfect pairing with Mauer, except that he doesn't hit lefties. Like Mauer, he hits well, he can play catcher, but not so much or he ends up hurt or broken down.

I'll be honest - I never thought they would agree to a contract with these numbers. I assumed it would be closer to 3/15.

But it's bad news for Parmelee. Next year he's essentially without a position unless the Twins somehow move Morneau at the deadline.

John Bonnes
06-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Since he's been a backup catcher, and since it's just Super-2 level, I can see him re-signing for $700K or so, not too much over what he makes now. Butera may not be back, but it won't be over money. And it won't be a big financial mistake if the Twins do bring him back.

I'll go a step further. I continue to think the Butera grumbling is more bad habit than anything else. We do it because we're accustomed to doing it. He isn't playing much. He has like 54 AB this year. And most of those games are when he's catching Liriano, and I don't think anyone is too critical of those results.

Miles
06-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Love this. 2 years, $7m for a solid hitter with some pop and serviceable defense at a few positions. Obviously not a cornerstone-type, but solid.

BHM
06-29-2012, 06:23 PM
A reasonable deal on its surface, but this team doesn't look to be getting any younger in the coming years. The core of their 2014 lineup as it currently stands will include a 30-year old Denard Span, a 31-year old Joe Mauer, and a 35-year old Josh Willingham and Ryan Doumit. I'd certainly take that on a team built to win in the next 2-3 years, but unless TR can beg, borrow, or steal some starting pitching it's just delaying a rebuild that will need to happen sooner or later.

PseudoSABR
06-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Savvy move. Nothing not to like. Doumit is still a good trade trip if Parmlee or Herrmann force the issue.

John Bonnes
06-29-2012, 06:33 PM
If it's really 2/$7M, I absolutely LOVE this deal. Doumit is the perfect pairing with Mauer, except that he doesn't hit lefties. Like Mauer, he hits well, he can play catcher, but not so much or he ends up hurt or broken down.

I'll be honest - I never thought they would agree to a contract with these numbers. I assumed it would be closer to 3/15.

But it's bad news for Parmelee. Next year he's essentially without a position unless the Twins somehow move Morneau at the deadline.

BTW I just looked it up.

2011 - combined production from the catcher position for the Twins - 509 OPS
2012 (so far) - combined production from the catcher position for the Twins - 806 OPS.

I really love this deal.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-29-2012, 06:37 PM

If Parmelee hits enough to be an everyday RF/1B/DH the Twins will find a way to get him into the lineup and it is one of those nice problems to have.

snepp
06-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Since he's been a backup catcher, and since it's just Super-2 level, I can see him re-signing for $700K or so, not too much over what he makes now. Butera may not be back, but it won't be over money. And it won't be a big financial mistake if the Twins do bring him back.

It won't be a big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.

He needs to be non-tendered, and offered a minor league contract. If he declines, he's welcome to find another organization willing to value his lineage over his production.

Badsmerf
06-29-2012, 08:38 PM
It won't be a big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.

He needs to be non-tendered, and offered a minor league contract. If he declines, he's welcome to find another organization willing to value his lineage over his production.

Agreed.

*random thought to fill the character limit, I look like the lead singer of Maroon 5... like scary identical