PDA

View Full Version : Ben Revere is 28% away from an all time record

kydoty
06-26-2012, 12:41 AM
He has 682 career plate apperances. He has zero home runs.

The all time record for most plate apperances without a home run is by Bill Holbert with 2,396. Holbert played between 1876-1888.

In the modern era, the record is Tom Oliver with 2,072 plate apperances. He played from 1930-1933.

At the rate that Revere is gathering plate apperances and assuming he stays in the everyday lineup from now on, he will likely surpass Holbert around the 2015 season, when he'll be just 27 years old.

Of course, he could always manage an inside the park home run. Hell, he almost did it with a simple gapper in Detroit, and it only takes one outfielder with Torii Hunter-like aspirations for Revere to pull it off.

Nick Nelson
06-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I believe he'll get an inside-the-parker before he has a chance to set any record. He's come close on multiple occasions already.

glunn
06-26-2012, 01:02 AM
If Revere keeps increasing his strength, then on a windy day at smaller ballpark, he might just hit one out.

Scheherezade
06-26-2012, 03:24 AM
Not to be "that guy", but Ben Revere is the same height as Kirby Puckett was. I don't see any reason why he couldn't develop the muscle and technique to drive the ball out now and then.

FrodaddyG
06-26-2012, 04:38 AM
Not to be "that guy", but Ben Revere is the same height as Kirby Puckett was. I don't see any reason why he couldn't develop the muscle and technique to drive the ball out now and then.
I bet Mauer could really pack on some serious muscle, since he's the same height as Lou Ferrigno.

Brock Beauchamp
06-26-2012, 06:43 AM
I expect that he'll smile a ball right out of the park any day now.

James
06-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Revere is going to be the happiest person in the world when he finally gets that (inside the park) HR.

I think that will happen before he even gets close to the record.

edavis0308
06-26-2012, 08:27 AM
I won't be impressed with an ITP HR unless he does a somersault while running from third to home.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Revere did manage to hit 5 HR in the minor leagues, I'm curious to know how many actually cleared a fence.
I can't see Revere ever getting more than 1 HR in a single season in the majors, but if Jason Tyner can clear a fence I imagine Revere to manage to do it in the next 4 years.

jctwins
06-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Where is Al Newman on that list? Gladden said during last night's radio broadcast he kept track of BP home runs so he had something to count.

Mauerzy4Prez
06-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Revere's approach right now is in no way geared towards hitting HR's. With his short compact swing, we will likely see what we have been seeing... until he makes the adjustments to add some pop. I love the Kirby Pucket comparisons, look at Puck's first two years as a Twin. In a total of 1248 AB's he hits a total of 4 HR's all of them coming in his second season. Third season, Kirby hits 31 HR's in 680 AB's... and well for the rest of his career you all know how it went.

Who was responsible for Kirby's sudden climb into power hitter immortality? And whose to say that this can't happen for Benny Boy?? I know many people may laugh at this, and I am very skeptical myself, but wouldn't it be a pleasant surprise if this was the case?

BCTwins
06-26-2012, 09:00 AM
On a Revere related note: how many more PAs does Revere need to be considered among the league leaders in BA? Just curious when we'll see his name in the top 5.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-26-2012, 09:02 AM
The Kirby comparisons make my head hurt.

But for the sake of nipping it in the bud I will point out that Puckett always had some gap power in the minors (along with hitting 10 HR in 800 at bats- not a ton but way more than Revere) Puckett also hit plenty of doubles etc, so a guy like him increasing his Home Run power was the most unexpected thing in the world.

Revere on the other hand has never had gap power in the minors or the majors, he is a singles hitter, he will not suddenly go from being a singles hitter to hitting 10+ Home Runs a year.

Can Revere hit a home run before breaking the record? Yes
Will he ever come close to anything that resembles Home Run power? No

Brock Beauchamp
06-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Revere's approach right now is in no way geared towards hitting HR's. With his short compact swing, we will likely see what we have been seeing... until he makes the adjustments to add some pop. I love the Kirby Pucket comparisons, look at Puck's first two years as a Twin. In a total of 1248 AB's he hits a total of 4 HR's all of them coming in his second season. Third season, Kirby hits 31 HR's in 680 AB's... and well for the rest of his career you all know how it went.

Who was responsible for Kirby's sudden climb into power hitter immortality? And whose to say that this can't happen for Benny Boy?? I know many people may laugh at this, and I am very skeptical myself, but wouldn't it be a pleasant surprise if this was the case?

If Revere is ever going to develop power, it sure ain't gonna come from his right arm. :P

It's hard not to enjoy what the kid is doing right now; I only worry that it might be his absolute ceiling. But if he keeps hitting at a .300 clip and swiping bases, he'll be a great OF option until he's 30 or so when that kind of player typically falls on his face from diminishing athleticism.

Every day he keeps doing this, I think it becomes clearer that JR needs to trade Span. I like Denard but there is little reason to keep running him out there if Revere can do the same thing with better defense.

Unless, of course, the Twins somehow find a way to contend this season... An unlikely scenario but we've seen this team do it before.

spideyo
06-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Uhh...who is JR? Do you mean Terry Ryan?

Personally, as a fan I'd rather see Revere hit an inside the park home run than clear the fences. Waaay more exciting

Brock Beauchamp
06-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Uhh...who is JR? Do you mean Terry Ryan?

Personally, as a fan I'd rather see Revere hit an inside the park home run than clear the fences. Waaay more exciting

It takes great effort for me to type "TR" at this point. It's been a long-running joke on the ESPN boards and BYTO and I type "JR" out of habit now. I think the joke is almost ten years old at this point. I don't even know I'm doing it most of the time.

But yes, I am speaking about Jerry (Terry) Ryan.

Mauerzy4Prez
06-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Based on your screen name I would say you have other things making your head hurt! haha

But seriously, as I stated before I am very skeptical about that ever really happening, and would be happy with Revere being successful in any way shape or form.

Nick Nelson
06-26-2012, 10:17 AM
It's hard not to enjoy what the kid is doing right now; I only worry that it might be his absolute ceiling. But if he keeps hitting at a .300 clip and swiping bases, he'll be a great OF option until he's 30 or so when that kind of player typically falls on his face from diminishing athleticism.

Every day he keeps doing this, I think it becomes clearer that JR needs to trade Span. I like Denard but there is little reason to keep running him out there if Revere can do the same thing with better defense.

Unless, of course, the Twins somehow find a way to contend this season... An unlikely scenario but we've seen this team do it before.
Revere's best bet for MLB success was always going to be hitting for a high average, and with his high contact rate, elite speed and history of hitting .300-plus at every level, there was no reason to think he couldn't do it. He's been a lot of fun to watch and I think he can be a very solid, inexpensive contributor to the lineup until his athleticism starts to fade down the line.

And yeah, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Span is a goner at the deadline, or during the offseason at the latest.

ChiTownTwinsFan
06-26-2012, 10:25 AM
I bet Mauer could really pack on some serious muscle, since he's the same height as Lou Ferrigno.

Hahaha ... I broke some serious silence laughing at that one.

fetch
06-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Revere had some pretty decent gap power in the minors, but I'd be pretty surprised if this doesn't end up being his best season in the majors, assuming he keeps this level of performance up the rest of the season.

Sadly you're probably right about Span, but I am sure they're going to get a lot less than full value for him and they probably should just hang onto him

Boom Boom
06-26-2012, 10:50 AM
I don't think Ben's going to turn a power-hitting corner and be a remotely similar player to Puckett. He might hit a handful of homers during his career.

What would really increase his value is to take more walks. I realize that as a singles-hitter that pitchers aren't afraid to throw him strikes, and that he's pretty good at making contact, but Ben swings at pitches out of the zone a bit too much for my liking.

Milkman
06-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Are you saying Baby Jesus just needs some gamma radiation? or green body paint?

MasterBassist
06-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Are you saying Baby Jesus just needs some gamma radiation? or green body paint?

Or a cameo in I Love You Man.

jctwins
06-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Or a cameo in I Love You Man.

I'm glad your avatar is here. I was afraid I had seen it for the last time.

SweetOne69
06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
On a Revere related note: how many more PAs does Revere need to be considered among the league leaders in BA? Just curious when we'll see his name in the top 5.

he needs about 28 days if he plays everyday assuming that he will get 5 PAs per game. He is currently @ 171 and needs to be @ 224 to qualify.

So he should qualify by late July or early August.

kydoty
06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Where is Al Newman on that list? Gladden said during last night's radio broadcast he kept track of BP home runs so he had something to count.

Newman would be the all time leader...but he has one career home run.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-26-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't think Ben's going to turn a power-hitting corner and be a remotely similar player to Puckett. He might hit a handful of homers during his career.

What would really increase his value is to take more walks. I realize that as a singles-hitter that pitchers aren't afraid to throw him strikes, and that he's pretty good at making contact, but Ben swings at pitches out of the zone a bit too much for my liking.
It's unlikely he will take more walks as pitchers have no reason to not go straight at him.

MasterBassist
06-26-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm glad your avatar is here. I was afraid I had seen it for the last time.

haha - I'll just start leaving random blank messages here and there to keep its appearances up.

Pius Jefferson
06-26-2012, 10:46 PM

He's something like 44 plate appearances shy of making the leader board.

CDog
06-26-2012, 11:01 PM
It's unlikely he will take more walks as pitchers have no reason to not go straight at him.

Jamey Carroll and Trevor Plouffe have almost identical walk rates.

The Greatest Poster Alive
06-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Revere did manage to hit 5 HR in the minor leagues, I'm curious to know how many actually cleared a fence.
I can't see Revere ever getting more than 1 HR in a single season in the majors, but if Jason Tyner can clear a fence I imagine Revere to manage to do it in the next 4 years.

Tyner had the benefit of hitting in the one park even Joe Mauer can hit them out in...

The Greatest Poster Alive
06-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Based on your screen name I would say you have other things making your head hurt! haha

But seriously, as I stated before I am very skeptical about that ever really happening, and would be happy with Revere being successful in any way shape or form.

The Reply with quote button (Bottom right of all posts) will help a lot of people understand who you're talking to.

Cody Christie
06-26-2012, 11:23 PM
In every professional season he has played with at least 50 games, he has hit a minimum of one home run. It might have to be an inside-the-park but it will happen some time this year.